Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Stephenie Meyer

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Stephenie Meyer Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Stephenie Meyer - 16/7/2008 7:37:47 PM   
clare_star_

I've just finished reading my third Stephanie Meyer novel Eclipse and I was really interested in getting a bit of a discussion going about the three(soon to be four) Bella Swan orientated novels.

I haven't read The Host yet but I'm really unsure as to whether to pick it up I am equally in love and frustrated with the way Meyer writes. I have this feeling she can do something truly amazing if only she wasn't bogged down with such a heavy load as Bella.

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse - I love the sweeping romance, I kind of like how young Bella seems - innocent not jaded like some late teen narrators and I really love the way she is creating this wonderful folklore about the vampires.

So love or loathe? Completely indifferent?

< Message edited by clare_star_ -- 1/9/2008 1:20:09 PM >

''Twitter''

Post #: 1
RE: Stephanie Meyer - 16/7/2008 7:45:43 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

You rang?
I really enjoy the Twilight series, as shameful as it is to admit. They're just a fun read although there's a lot of really annoying stuff in it too - Bella can be really whiny, I hate Jacob and sometimes there's too muh teen angst. Meyer has a lot of fantastic potential to create different worlds, it's obvious in The Host although she gets a little carried away with the love stories. I'd love to read a Young Adult book that doesn't feature a romantic entanglement. I agree that the vampire folklore is very interesting, I love how the vampires like Edward glitter in the sun, it sounds so pretty. You just know the movie is going to fuck it up. Rabid Twilight fans scare me, as do the equal amount of militant haters. It's hard to find a place just to talk about them without war breaking out.

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

(in reply to clare_star_)
Post #: 2
RE: Stephanie Meyer - 17/7/2008 1:31:01 PM   
Harley Quinn

I've read the first one of the series and was a bit underwhelmed by it.  I thought both the main charcters were slightly drippy and the love story just didn't gel.  I will probably end up getting the other two at some point but they aren't top of my must have/must read list of books.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to Amelie_Scotland)
Post #: 3
RE: Stephanie Meyer - 17/7/2008 1:32:03 PM   
clare_star_

Finally, I'm so glad you said that - I hate Jacob as well! He drives me up the wall why won't he leave Bella alone, with his stupid warm temperature and super speed regeneration. Mind you I quite dislike the way Bella kind of plays him along - unkindly teasing him.

I like the way that the vamps have extra little powers, especially the way she utilises Alice's 'visions' I know that sometimes they are convenient but I love a good mystery.

When I first read Twilight I imagined Meyer would be able to write a cracking adult fiction book - she's got the tense elements nailed and I think all that needs to go is the whole angst. That's how I imagined The Host to be.

''Twitter''

Post #: 4
RE: Stephanie Meyer - 17/7/2008 6:50:44 PM   
Ewie

I have read the first two books in swedish, the are called Om jag kunde drömma/ If I could dream (Twilight) and När jag hör din röst/When I hear your vocie (New Moon). The third book will be relased in sweden in september and ít is called Ljudet av ditt hjärta/The sound of your heart (Eclipse). I dont know why they have translated the titels so diffrently from the orginals, but I can´t wait for the third book!I really love the first two books! Is there anyone who knows if Stephanie will finish Midnight Sun (Edward story)?

Post #: 5
RE: Stephanie Meyer - 17/7/2008 8:29:31 PM   
clare_star_

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ewie
I really love the first two books! Is there anyone who knows if Stephanie will finish Midnight Sun (Edward story)?

I think she's intending to write the at least the first three from Edward's perspective - I hope she does finish Midnight Sun because the extract posted is really good.

''Twitter''

(in reply to Ewie)
Post #: 6
RE: Stephanie Meyer - 4/8/2008 12:34:52 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

I was in Florida while Breaking Dawn had it's release. It made all the major news stations and there was a frenzy rather similar to that of Harry Potter, except with more rabid teen girls wearing t-shirts with Robert Pattinson's face. Unfortunately, the reviews have been awful, even from the big fans. Apparently it's lazy, contrived, and full of that ever present Bella angst. God, now I know that I won't be buying it! Shame, I hate to have an uncompleted series on my bookshelf.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

Post #: 7
RE: Stephanie Meyer - 4/8/2008 1:35:04 PM   
clare_star_

Oh no, I haven't read any reviews yet but it is no more than I expected what with the state of the last one!

Honestly how old is Bella now? Stop crying and start being proactive!  

''Twitter''

Post #: 8
RE: Stephanie Meyer - 5/8/2008 8:43:29 PM   
Empitomezzo

D'you know, I've not read one of those vampire books of hers! I didn't even know it was being made into a movie! What's wrong with me?

http://zummer.blogspot.com/

Post #: 9
RE: Stephanie Meyer - 5/8/2008 9:34:58 PM   
trixobel

Well, my daughters and I liked Breaking Dawn very much.  I think Bella became very proactive.

By the way, I was a Jacob fan, and I really enjoyed the way the author finished for everyone.

(in reply to Empitomezzo)
Post #: 10
RE: Stephanie Meyer - 5/8/2008 10:32:37 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

Empitomezzo, I recommend Twilight whol heartedly. It's a little cheesy but it manages to be a sexy but completely chaste story. I devoured it when I first read it.

(in reply to trixobel)
Post #: 11
RE: Stephanie Meyer - 7/8/2008 2:03:22 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

I think Meyer has an excellent format of writing that's progressed from each book in the Twilight saga to correspond with the growth of the relationships and situations. I must've read Breaking Dawn until my eyes boggled out as well  Brilliant ending and I'm very much looking forward to the movie.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

Post #: 12
RE: Stephanie Meyer - 7/8/2008 3:59:37 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

Nice av Jessica.
I had apprehensions about Robert Pattinson in the role but he's growing on me...very much so.

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 13
RE: Stephanie Meyer - 8/8/2008 7:34:25 PM   
clare_star_

quote:

ORIGINAL: trixobel

Well, my daughters and I liked Breaking Dawn very much.  I think Bella became very proactive.

By the way, I was a Jacob fan, and I really enjoyed the way the author finished for everyone.

Glad to see some more discussion going on here. I'm glad you and your family enjoyed it and am heartened by the idea of Bella taking matters into her own hands!

I think my main problem with Jacob was mainly to do with the whole relationship between he and Bella. What I don't buy is that the whole of Twilight was supposed to prove Bella's unshakable love for Edward, even though (in later installments) he leaves her for some time. Meyer asks us to believe that she could be torn, that there is a choice but also that there isn't a choice, there is only Edward and it drives me up the wall.

Jacob's never a real temptation or threat to Edward and the whole idea of Bella presented as tortured and miserable because she doesn't love Jacob is just so unbelieveable - if she actually cared about Jacob then she wouldn't lead him on in the way she does in New Moon. She comes across as selfish and increasingly a bit of a Mary-Sue. As much as I love the books I can't bear to read anymore ''woe is me - everyone loves me and I'm having such a difficult time deciding''.

For me, and I realise this is a very personal thing - it's enough to have the danger / threat of other vampires running alongside Bella's growing desire for Edward. The parts of New Moon that I enjoyed are the battle between the two of them over sex.

''Twitter''

(in reply to trixobel)
Post #: 14
RE: Stephanie Meyer - 8/8/2008 7:37:57 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

I think one of the best things that comes out of the Twilight series, especially the first book, is that sense of longing and desire (for lack of a better word) you get when you're a teenage girl. Meyer did that really well and that is one of the things that makes the series special. It's a very sexy book but completely chaste, nothing but first base action for Bella and Edward.

Post #: 15
RE: Stephanie Meyer - 8/8/2008 9:45:02 PM   
clare_star_

quote:

ORIGINAL: Amelie_Scotland

It's a very sexy book but completely chaste, nothing but first base action for Bella and Edward.

I couldn't agree more. Leaving out the whole spending the night together business the way Edward touches her is kind of gorgeous and kind of obscene - in a good way! 

''Twitter''

Post #: 16
RE: Stephanie Meyer - 13/8/2008 2:19:58 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

Nice av Jessica.
I had apprehensions about Robert Pattinson in the role but he's growing on me...very much so.

Thanks, Ams.

I do find the whole "Team Edward/Team Jacob" thing hilarious though. Such delicious teenage drama

Post #: 17
RE: Stephanie Meyer - 14/8/2008 12:08:51 PM   
Harley Quinn

Did anyone read the interview with Stephanie Meyer in the Sunday Express? She's a mormon whose never seen an 18 certificate film. 

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Post #: 18
RE: Stephanie Meyer - 14/8/2008 1:13:15 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

She hasn't? I knew she was Mormon but I didn't know about the other bit. She loves Muse though, so that's alwas going to be on her side.

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 19
RE: Stephanie Meyer - 14/8/2008 1:14:43 PM   
Harley Quinn

No so she was glad that the film didn't get a 18 rating otherwise she would never get to see it.

< Message edited by Harley Quinn -- 14/8/2008 1:19:15 PM >

Post #: 20
RE: Stephanie Meyer - 14/8/2008 1:41:03 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

Wow, I never knew that either. That'd explain how she writes - it's neither too violent or too sexual. No wonder it's called teenage fiction, eh?

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 21
RE: Stephanie Meyer - 15/8/2008 7:48:44 PM   
JennEH!

i love jacob black !

"Captain, being held by you isn't quite enough to get me excited."

Post #: 22
RE: Stephanie Meyer - 17/8/2008 9:48:11 PM   
prophecygirl

I LOVE Meyer/Twilight. In an obsessive kind of way.

Post #: 23
RE: Stephanie Meyer - 18/8/2008 10:02:19 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

Out of interest has anyone read The Host? I picked it up the other day and flipping through it, it seems as if it's exactly the same narrative structure as the Twilight saga.

(in reply to prophecygirl)
Post #: 24
RE: Stephanie Meyer - 18/8/2008 11:07:30 AM   
Amelie_Scotland

I've read The Host. I enjoyed it, it's a great idea. Sort of Invasion of the Body Snatchers done from the alien Point-of-view and written for the YA audience. There's a lot of filler in it that isn't necessary. The narrative is pretty much the same as Twilight, she concentrates on the relationships instead of the wider picture.

Post #: 25
RE: Stephanie Meyer - 20/8/2008 1:25:11 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

I've read The Host. I enjoyed it, it's a great idea. Sort of Invasion of the Body Snatchers done from the alien Point-of-view and written for the YA audience. There's a lot of filler in it that isn't necessary. The narrative is pretty much the same as Twilight, she concentrates on the relationships instead of the wider picture.

I enjoyed it too and I’m not a great fan of anything sci-fi. The mystery irritates me minutely throughout the storylines usually, but it was more about the individuals in The Host. If you think about it, it’s extremely difficult to switch between narratives (especially when one of them is going on inside the others head!) yet Meyer flawlessly pulls this off and you sense the definitive personalities throughout the inner conversations and general petty arguments.

Her writing is still frustrating, however; it’s almost as if the pace isn’t fast enough, which may be the reason people were practically itching for Breaking Dawn before it was finally published!

Post #: 26
RE: Stephanie Meyer - 20/8/2008 2:24:33 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

Yeah she did that so well, its' not something I've ever read before either. I understand the frustration too, Meyer just takes her time, doesn't let anyone push her too fast. Often in Twilight series she describes stuff that isn't of importance or seems dull but she writes it so well. Is Breaking Dawn more action filled like I've heard?
Here's the first chapter of Midnight Sun, which is Twilight written from Edward's point of view.

Post #: 27
RE: Stephanie Meyer - 30/8/2008 11:58:18 PM   
clare_star_

Just to follow on from Amelie's post has anyone heard about this:

http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/

Apparently someone has linked a rough draft of Midnight Sun and understandably Meyer is extremely hurt. So what are you thoughts? Are you tempted to read the draft or will you hold off in the hope she will finish?

''Twitter''

Post #: 28
RE: Stephanie Meyer - 31/8/2008 7:56:54 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

I heard about that, it's a shame that someone's trying to wreck things for the book, I wonder how long it will be before she starts writing it again? I won't be tracking it down. I just finished Breaking Dawn (caved in and bought it cheaply) and it was good. Not great, good. It wasn't at all like the other three books, there was nowhere near the same amount of romance or action. It didn't feel like part of the series too me, it was like a stand alone novel in a sense. I think I'll wait for it to sink in a little before I review it.

Post #: 29
RE: Stephanie Meyer - 5/9/2008 9:09:24 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

That is a shame - I won't be tracking that down. Crazy fans, eh?

Good spread in the Empire magazine this month on the movie coming out... except we have to wait til January for it

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Stephenie Meyer Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI