Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What a load of over hyped hollywood bull

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: What a load of over hyped hollywood bull Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What a load of over hyped hollywood bull - 17/7/2008 12:48:56 AM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Captain

Oh man

i go out for the evening and miss all the fun!!!

was trying to look back over the posts to see what was said , god i hate having a life sometimes
Lets just say it involved Wilbert and his dad....

It was a very offensive thing to post about him,but god help me,i laughed so hard!

Getting back on topic though,i really do hope this turns out as good as people are saying,im fairly confidant as i havnt seen a bad film by Nolan yet.I really hope he does finish the trilogy.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to The Captain)
Post #: 121
RE: What a load of over hyped hollywood bull - 17/7/2008 3:55:46 AM   
Samfran

I already posted this in the Future Films thread of The Dark Knight, but I'll add it here too. No spoilers :)

Guys, believe the hype!

I am very fortunate to be in Australia at the moment, and even more so in Sydney, where yesterday, Wednesday the 16th at 3pm I witnessed the very first showing of The Dark Knight at the world biggest IMAX screen, and I was blown away.

Everything about this film is remarkable, and the IMAX Experience is an experience EVERYONE who possible can, should do, a few extra pennies, but who cares, how long have you lot been waiting for this? The picture quality and the sound was phenominal and the action sequences blow you away.

From the opening bank heist you are drawn into the film and introduced to Heath Ledgers psychotic portrayal of The Joker, and this is a role that no one will forget for a VERY long time. He delivers, he delivers big time. He has everything down to a tee, the manerisms, the voice, the walk, the laugh. Heath deserves the posthumous Oscar people have been talking about, its not hype, its not sympathy for a tragic accident and a lost star, its a truely mesmerizing performance that will stick in your memory and haunt you. Every scene that he is in he is the star. This film is littered with talent and Heath is at the top of this. It's so hard for me tto talk about this without issuing spoilers, but dear god Heath delivers, Bale delivers, Oldman delivers, Eckhart delivers, everyone, and most importantly, Nolan delivers.

The film is a crime epic, and the intentions are very clear from the start and those themes run throughout. Forget the talk about the film possibly being too long, you are drawn into this and feel apart of the movie and get totally emersed. The time flys by and before you know it, you have witnessed a cinematic masterpiece.

Obviously alot of focus is on The Joker, but Batman is the best he has ever been, and Christian Bale deserves as much credit as Heath Ledger is getting. He is hard hitting and powerful, long gone are the camp caped crusder. The Dark Knight reigns supreme.

Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent/Harvey Two Face was perfect, he has the skill and grace as Harvey Dent and the tormentfull edge and power as Harvey Two Face and he is a scary looking fella. The face is horendous. No pink hair and wacky faces here, its a man gone crazy, a man who has lost everything and a man seeking revenge. Extremely powerful performance and you can feel the anger and rage in every Two Face scene.

I will run out of superlatives talking about this movie, what I witnessed and the performances that I saw. This has far surpassed Begins, and will be terribly hard to itslef, surpass. Everything is spot on, even the smallest things that you might not spot at once, but upon reflection will think back to and realise the true gretaness that you have seen. You will leave the cinema a very happy person indeed. never have I been to a sold out performance. Never have I been to a film where people are cheering and "whooping" at the sight of the Warner Brothers logo and the sound of that tremendous score, and never have I been to a performance where people applaude when it has finished and the end credits roll.

This film will go down in history and we will all be very privelidged to have witnessed this. This isn't just a comic book movie, and it isnt the best film of the summer. It's the best film of the year.

"It's simple. Kill the Batman"

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 122
RE: What a load of over hyped hollywood bull - 17/7/2008 7:38:26 AM   
Porrohman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Samfran

I already posted this in the Future Films thread of The Dark Knight, but I'll add it here too. No spoilers :)

Guys, believe the hype!

I am very fortunate to be in Australia at the moment, and even more so in Sydney, where yesterday, Wednesday the 16th at 3pm I witnessed the very first showing of The Dark Knight at the world biggest IMAX screen, and I was blown away.

Everything about this film is remarkable, and the IMAX Experience is an experience EVERYONE who possible can, should do, a few extra pennies, but who cares, how long have you lot been waiting for this? The picture quality and the sound was phenominal and the action sequences blow you away.

From the opening bank heist you are drawn into the film and introduced to Heath Ledgers psychotic portrayal of The Joker, and this is a role that no one will forget for a VERY long time. He delivers, he delivers big time. He has everything down to a tee, the manerisms, the voice, the walk, the laugh. Heath deserves the posthumous Oscar people have been talking about, its not hype, its not sympathy for a tragic accident and a lost star, its a truely mesmerizing performance that will stick in your memory and haunt you. Every scene that he is in he is the star. This film is littered with talent and Heath is at the top of this. It's so hard for me tto talk about this without issuing spoilers, but dear god Heath delivers, Bale delivers, Oldman delivers, Eckhart delivers, everyone, and most importantly, Nolan delivers.

The film is a crime epic, and the intentions are very clear from the start and those themes run throughout. Forget the talk about the film possibly being too long, you are drawn into this and feel apart of the movie and get totally emersed. The time flys by and before you know it, you have witnessed a cinematic masterpiece.

Obviously alot of focus is on The Joker, but Batman is the best he has ever been, and Christian Bale deserves as much credit as Heath Ledger is getting. He is hard hitting and powerful, long gone are the camp caped crusder. The Dark Knight reigns supreme.

Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent/Harvey Two Face was perfect, he has the skill and grace as Harvey Dent and the tormentfull edge and power as Harvey Two Face and he is a scary looking fella. The face is horendous. No pink hair and wacky faces here, its a man gone crazy, a man who has lost everything and a man seeking revenge. Extremely powerful performance and you can feel the anger and rage in every Two Face scene.

I will run out of superlatives talking about this movie, what I witnessed and the performances that I saw. This has far surpassed Begins, and will be terribly hard to itslef, surpass. Everything is spot on, even the smallest things that you might not spot at once, but upon reflection will think back to and realise the true gretaness that you have seen. You will leave the cinema a very happy person indeed. never have I been to a sold out performance. Never have I been to a film where people are cheering and "whooping" at the sight of the Warner Brothers logo and the sound of that tremendous score, and never have I been to a performance where people applaude when it has finished and the end credits roll.

This film will go down in history and we will all be very privelidged to have witnessed this. This isn't just a comic book movie, and it isnt the best film of the summer. It's the best film of the year.

I think ive just cum.

(in reply to Samfran)
Post #: 123
RE: What a load of over hyped hollywood bull - 17/7/2008 9:40:51 AM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: max314

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

Hello, madmax1982. It's your Uncle Bingo. Time to pay the check!

You're gone.

Er...  Did I just read this right, or did that madmax fella get banned while CORLEONE got off scott free for calling him a "cunt"?

Does having the same opinion as the powers that be allow you to get away with breaking the rules?

Apologies for the late reply. I can only do this thing at work, unfortunately. Madmax was disrespectful to the dead and then had the audacity to insult all of our fathers! And I put a star in c*nt which surely halves the offence factor?

Anyway, back on topic (or I will get banned), is the 6 minute prologue with the bank robbery included in the final film?

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 124
RE: What a load of over hyped hollywood bull - 17/7/2008 9:56:46 AM   
DanCurley

I love the fact almost every post starts off-topic then vears on-topic to avoid Mod wrath.

But back on topic. Is the scarecrow in it?

I'd give you my signature, but what would happen if you stole my cheque book? It would be a disaster.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 125
RE: What a load of over hyped hollywood bull - 17/7/2008 10:01:14 AM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanCurley

I love the fact almost every post starts off-topic then vears on-topic to avoid Mod wrath.

But back on topic. Is the scarecrow in it?

He was in the trailer so unless Nolan's f*cking with us, I'll say yes, he is.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 126
RE: What a load of over hyped hollywood bull - 17/7/2008 10:08:47 AM   
Kazuya

What a fun thread this is shaping up to be.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 127
RE: What a load of over hyped hollywood bull - 17/7/2008 10:21:49 AM   
igotnewlegs

Terrible Movie!

I saw this last night and it was terrible! The action scenes were shoddy, the acting was below par bordering on laugable and the story didn't make any sense at all. I personally think all involved should be ashamed of themselves. I don't know who wrote the script but he or she sure as hell can't do dialogue or write a coherent story. I mean, I was really struggling to follow what was going on. It just seemed like the writer wrote two thirds of the movie and then thought, 'fuck it, I don't have the time or the iclination to write the rest', so gave it to his deranged and ever so slightly retarded 5 year old son to finish it off. A complete waste of time - DO NOT SEE THIS!

Oh wait,, this isn't the review thread for Lost in Space

Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon.
Woody Allen

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Douglas Adams

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 128
RE: What a load of over hyped hollywood bull - 17/7/2008 10:22:30 AM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kazuya

6 pages in and hardly anyone's seen it yet!

There have been whispers that The Dark Knight could be set for a record opening weekend in the US. Surely it couldn't beat Spidey 3's $125m opening weekend last year? (Despite the fact it's apparently far superior).

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 129
RE: What a load of over hyped hollywood bull - 17/7/2008 10:53:24 AM   
DanCurley

It's gonna be the biggest topic in Empireonline history, that's why the went to the effort of editing some snide shit out of it to make it clean before the millions of newbies arrive in droves and blow their servers to bits.

I'd give you my signature, but what would happen if you stole my cheque book? It would be a disaster.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 130
RE: What a load of over hyped hollywood bull - 17/7/2008 11:07:57 AM   
kasm

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanCurley

It's gonna be the biggest topic in Empireonline history, that's why the went to the effort of editing some snide shit out of it to make it clean before the millions of newbies arrive in droves and blow their servers to bits.

They should lock the door of the server room so.
It's pretty much impossible to escape the fact that this is getting overwhelmingly good reviews, I, for one, am joining the can't wait to see this group- it'll be the first movie I venture to the cinema for this year.Followed shortly by Wall-E hopefully.

I do pointless -good

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 131
RE: What a load of over hyped hollywood bull - 17/7/2008 11:14:09 AM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

quote:

There have been whispers that The Dark Knight could be set for a record opening weekend in the US. Surely it couldn't beat Spidey 3's $125m opening weekend last year? (Despite the fact it's apparently far superior).

Indeed, this thread has lots of time to descend even further into stupidity.

I hope it breaks Spider-Man 3's record, I don't think it will, but I would be very pleased.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 132
RE: What a load of over hyped hollywood bull - 17/7/2008 12:00:44 PM   
M.I.J.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Indeed, this thread has lots of time to descend even further into stupidity.

I hope it breaks Spider-Man 3's record, I don't think it will, but I would be very pleased.

Same here.  The one thing I'm finding quite funny at the moment is some of the merchandising that I've seen.  You've got reviewers saying that the film is pretty much 'Heat' with capes and clowns; a crime movie, a moral debate movie, an intelligent dissection of how these characters would be motivated in the real world, scary Joker, not for the kids etc, and then you see Joker bobbleheads and action figures such as the obligatory 'underwater attack' Batman in a green suit and 'no reason really' orange suit Batman.  Looking forward to the flick but just find it funny the whole "This is not for the kids, but buy the plastic toys anyway." Especially "Christ knows why he would want to 'Glow in the dark Batman'"

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 133
RE: ? - 17/7/2008 12:56:48 PM   
Karl Crutchley

Seeing as how everyone seems really excited about seeing this, I was just wondering, are we all going to post objective reviews when we have seen it? Or are we all going to see it through bat shaped glasses and have our opinions tainted as such? I would really like it to be excellent and am looking forward to it, but worry about how overboard Warners are going with pushing this thing.  
Post #: 134
RE: ? - 17/7/2008 12:58:34 PM   
M.I.J.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marty5

Hmmmmm......Empire gives this film 5stars. You have to be a bit concerned considering they give superman returns 5stars and the hulk(2003) 4stars. Hopefully they are right though, for once 

Still haven't forgiven them for the five star Phantom Menance.  I still remember the last lines of that review.

"Fifteen years of waiting and it turns that it's just a film, but thankfully, it's a bloody good one."  In which parallel universe would that be then?  

And lest we forget four stars for "House of Sand and Fog".  If the criteria of excellence is wanting to headbutt the seat in front of you to make the pain and endless boredom of a film stop, then yes, an accurate review.

"It still hurts Bilbo!"

Post #: 135
RE: ? - 17/7/2008 1:05:42 PM   
DanCurley

quote:

Hmmmmm......Empire gives this film 5stars. You have to be a bit concerned considering they give superman returns 5stars and the hulk(2003) 4stars. Hopefully they are right though, for once 

You hankering for Empire's Forumite of the Month award?

Post #: 136
RE: ? - 17/7/2008 1:19:16 PM   
no1psh

quote:

Fair enough they have handed out five stars to some suspect films but would you think these films have deserved five-There Will Be Blood, No Country For Old Men, Jesse James and the Bourne Ultimatum just to name a few. So I wouldn't always agree with their five star ratings but I agreed with these. Its a bit harsh to say that you hope they are right for once.

"I drink you're milkshake!"
"I drink it up"
Post #: 137
RE: ? - 17/7/2008 1:21:13 PM   
krudler

quote:

ORIGINAL: M.I.J.

quote:

Still haven't forgiven them for the five star Phantom Menance.  I still remember the last lines of that review.

"Fifteen years of waiting and it turns that it's just a film, but thankfully, it's a bloody good one."  In which parallel universe would that be then?  

And lest we forget four stars for "House of Sand and Fog".  If the criteria of excellence is wanting to headbutt the seat in front of you to make the pain and endless boredom of a film stop, then yes, an accurate review.

"It still hurts Bilbo!"

didnt the Phantom Menace get 4 stars on its original magazine review?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to M.I.J.)
Post #: 138
RE: ? - 17/7/2008 4:36:26 PM   
mjscarface

True, Superman and Clones got 5 stars and Indy got 4, but it's just Empire it's every other damn review thats given TDK top rating! I'm very excited, can't wait. 

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 139
RE: ? - 17/7/2008 5:39:58 PM   
krudler

I havent been this excited about a new movie since Episode 1, turns off I'm off work anyway on the 24th woohoo its been forever since i went to an opening daytime show with a bunch of overexcited mates

quote:

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to mjscarface)
Post #: 140
RE: ? - 17/7/2008 5:43:09 PM   
no1psh

I finish work at 12:15 on fridays, so I could imagine myself being outside the cinema at 12:30!

"I drink it up"

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 141
RE: What a load of over hyped hollywood bull - 17/7/2008 5:57:55 PM   
max314

quote:

ORIGINAL: Porrohman

I think ive just cum.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much information, dude.

quote:

Apologies for the late reply. I can only do this thing at work, unfortunately. Madmax was disrespectful to the dead and then had the audacity to insult all of our fathers!

Look, nothing personal - I think you're an okay guy, gal, whatever.  And I disapprove of madmax too, which is why my real complaints isn't really directed at you as much as it is with the referees.

But criticising Heath Ledger isn't a bannable offense, and I do believe he retaliated with personal attacks only after being called a "cunt".  I just don't feel both parties were dealt an equal hand.

Anyway...end of issue

quote:

And I put a star in c*nt which surely halves the offence factor?

About as much as covering your genitals with a leaf.

quote:

Anyway, back on topic (or I will get banned), is the 6 minute prologue with the bank robbery included in the final film?

I suspect so.  I've heard reviews talking about the bank heist that opens the film.

Honestly, I'm really rather psyched for this film now.  Maybe not quite as much as I was for Batman Begins (which was a 3 star film in my book), but my biggest reason for anticipating this film is Jonathan Nolan, whose last two screenplay collaborations with his brother Chris resulted in Memento and The Prestige - both extremely impressive films.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marty 5

I'm gonna have to defend Empire on that one.

I thought both Superman Returns and Ang Lee's Hulk were at least 4 star films.

If they've rated The Dark Knight 5 stars, then it should at least be watchable.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Crutchley

Seeing as how everyone seems really excited about seeing this, I was just wondering, are we all going to post objective reviews when we have seen it? Or are we all going to see it through bat shaped glasses and have our opinions tainted as such? I would really like it to be excellent and am looking forward to it, but worry about how overboard Warners are going with pushing this thing.

Yeah, this vast swathe of blind pre-release love is getting to the point where one wonders if there really will be any reviews that even attempt to feign objectivity.  Empire's review seemed more like an AICN fangasm than the sort of austere, erudite analysis one would expect from a topflight film publication.  "A force of fucking nature", anyone?

quote:

ORIGINAL: no1psh

Fair enough they have handed out five stars to some suspect films but would you think these films have deserved five-There Will Be Blood, No Country For Old Men, Jesse James and the Bourne Ultimatum just to name a few. So I wouldn't always agree with their five star ratings but I agreed with these. Its a bit harsh to say that you hope they are right for once.

My jaw hit the floor when I saw Empire gave The Bourne Ultimatum a five star rating.

A $110 million film that looked like it had been made for $1.10?  Yuck.  Now, if they had actually spent $1.10 and The Bourne Ultimatum had been the result, I'd probably re-evaluate my opinion

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to Porrohman)
Post #: 142
RE: What a load of over hyped hollywood bull - 17/7/2008 6:05:34 PM   
Wilbert

quote:

My jaw hit the floor when I saw Empire gave The Bourne Ultimatum a five star rating.

A $110 million film that looked like it had been made for $1.10?  Yuck.  Now, if they had actually spent $1.10 and The Bourne Ultimatum had been the result, I'd probably re-evaluate my opinion

If only some of that money had been spent on a tripod.

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 143
RE: What a load of over hyped hollywood bull - 17/7/2008 6:31:49 PM   
badassmofo

I finish work at 17:00 next Thursday, Im going downstairs and seeing the 17:15. Fuck me I cannot wait but having to try and not look at the screens from 9 - 5 will be a bitch. Fuck I cannot wait.

You just got killed by a Daewoo Lamos motherfucker - Best line of 2008

Cinerama - News, reviews, features and listener feedback every week by your Empire Online friend badassmofo! (I sound like a non-badassmofo I know...) On iTunes or cinerama.jellycast.com

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 144
RE: What a load of over hyped hollywood bull - 17/7/2008 6:35:38 PM   
max314

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert

If only some of that money had been spent on a tripod.

I once heard someone say that seeing the camera move erratically automatically makes them feel like they're watching a real life event.

Now, I understand the faux documentary style that was being aimed for, but a jiggling camera that cuts to another angle every split second only reminds me that I'm watching a film.  Of course, this problem may have been resolved if I could actually make out what the hell was going on.  (HOT TIP:  Don't film someone's feet when they're punching.)

Nolan obviously attempted to emulate that style for his fight scenes in Batman Begins.  Allegedly, his philosophy was "violence has lost its threat" on account of it becoming "dancelike".  The irony is that the fights in Batman Begins become exactly the thing he was trying to avoid, but through wholly different means!

I know how smart Nolan is, and I sometimes wonder if he isn't trying to play everyone for fools   He's essentially collecting all the things that have (a) worked in past films, while (b) merging them with the kind of "gritty" aesthetic that seems to be in fashion these days (e.g. shaky cam).  Batman Begins was dubbed by some as being the first truly "character driven" superhero piece from beginning to end.  But it essentially stops being "character driven" after the first act, once Bruce stands up for his morals against the League of Shadows, and becomes an endless string of montages and set-pieces.  What I think Nolan actually did was to rip the structure of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man wholesale (i.e. first half = zero to hero, second half = hero kicks ass), but meld it onto a "realistic" palette.  From what I've heard of The Dark Knight (VERY MINOR SPOILER AHEAD), Bruce is faced with the same question of "to be, or not to be?" that Parker faces in Spider-Man 2.  If that's the case, then I suspect that The Dark Knight will essentially be the story of Spider-Man 2 grafted onto the framework and genre conventions of a crime / gangster movie.

Whoa...that went on longer than expected.

But yeah, those are my thoughts on the matter.

< Message edited by max314 -- 17/7/2008 6:37:07 PM >

MAX

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 145
RE: ? - 17/7/2008 6:47:54 PM   
DanCurley

quote:

I finish work at 12:15 on fridays, so I could imagine myself being outside the cinema at 12:30!

Don't waste your afternoon off sat in a dark cinema - go to the pub!

(in reply to no1psh)
Post #: 146
RE: What a load of over hyped hollywood bull - 17/7/2008 6:51:25 PM   
no1psh

I think if you look at any superhero/comicbook hero, they all have to face the question of why they are doing what they are doing. Its a bit quick to compare two films when you haven't seen one of them yet, because its fairly obvious that every superhero encounters these kind of problems.

"I drink it up"

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 147
RE: What a load of over hyped hollywood bull - 17/7/2008 7:19:07 PM   
max314

quote:

I think if you look at any superhero/comicbook hero, they all have to face the question of why they are doing what they are doing. Its a bit quick to compare two films when you haven't seen one of them yet, because its fairly obvious that every superhero encounters these kind of problems.

I'm not comparing The Dark Knight and Spider-Man 2 with any degree of finality.  It's all speculative of course (at this stage, just about everything about the film kind of is), but it's nonetheless based on actual information.

Yes, it can be said that every superhero faces the predicament of whether or not they should give up their alter ego.  But that doesn't change the fact that this was the central moral conceit of Spider-Man 2, yet it was not the central moral conceit of either Spider-Man or Spider-Man 3.  It doesn't change the fact that the structure of Batman Begins was xeroxed from Spider-Man.  And it doesn't change the fact that The Dark Knight is apparently going to be using the same basic plot engine as Spider-Man 2 with (VERY MINOR SPOILER AHEAD) the screws tightening on Bruce as the reasons to quit being Batman (e.g. Rachel being involved with Dent, thus setting up a love triangle similar to MJ and Jonah's son in Spider-Man 2) begin to pile up.

I understand it's very unpopular to voice anything even approaching the scent of a criticism of The Dark Knight, but I do think these are valid points that - when viewed objectively - do make sense.  And strictly speaking, they're not really "criticisms" as such.  They're simply observations about the creative choices made during the making of this film.  Whether one views them in a positive or negative light is probably very subjective.

MAX

(in reply to no1psh)
Post #: 148
RE: What a load of over hyped hollywood bull - 17/7/2008 7:35:00 PM   
krudler

quote:

Yeah, this vast swathe of blind pre-release love is getting to the point where one wonders if there really will be any reviews that even attempt to feign objectivity.

like your completely unbiased Speed Racer review?

quote:

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 149
RE: What a load of over hyped hollywood bull - 17/7/2008 7:44:28 PM   
no1psh

quote:

quote:

I'm not comparing The Dark Knight and Spider-Man 2 with any degree of finality.  It's all speculative of course (at this stage, just about everything about the film kind of is), but it's nonetheless based on actual information.

Yes, it can be said that every superhero faces the predicament of whether or not they should give up their alter ego.  But that doesn't change the fact that this was the central moral conceit of Spider-Man 2, yet it was not the central moral conceit of either Spider-Man or Spider-Man 3.  It doesn't change the fact that the structure of Batman Begins was xeroxed from Spider-Man.  And it doesn't change the fact that The Dark Knight is apparently going to be using the same basic plot engine as Spider-Man 2 with (VERY MINOR SPOILER AHEAD) the screws tightening on Bruce as the reasons to quit being Batman (e.g. Rachel being involved with Dent, thus setting up a love triangle similar to MJ and Jonah's son in Spider-Man 2) begin to pile up.

I understand it's very unpopular to voice anything even approaching the scent of a criticism of The Dark Knight, but I do think these are valid points that - when viewed objectively - do make sense.  And strictly speaking, they're not really "criticisms" as such.  They're simply observations about the creative choices made during the making of this film.  Whether one views them in a positive or negative light is probably very subjective.

To be honest I don't know of any proper superhero that A)doesn't deal with the fact of why they are doing what they are doing and B)doesn't have a love interest. I can't quite understand what you're trying to get at. I know you're firm on the fact that you are only speculating on the comparisons between Spiderman 2 and The Dark Knight, but really these are situations that could pop up in any film. Are you trying to say that The Dark Knight is copying elements of Spiderman 2?

"I drink it up"

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: What a load of over hyped hollywood bull Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI