Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Dark Knight

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: The Dark Knight Page: <<   < prev  36 37 38 39 [40]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Dark Knight - 25/8/2012 1:20:00 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

The Joker doesn't need to know Batman is Bruce. All he needed to note was that Batman went for her without thinking. In his mind he figures out that she is important to him.

In fact the whole Coleman Reese subplot is about the Joker no longer wishing to know who Batman is. It is pretty much established that Wayne wanted to save Rachel. Heck, Harvey wanted Batman to save Rachel.

This. He doesn't know. He also doesn't really care.

I think he knows (or at least suspects - Wayne employee Coleman Reese's threat to go public only confirming such suspicions) and still doesn't care! As he said in the comics once - that IS his real face!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1171
RE: The Dark Knight - 25/8/2012 1:25:19 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

The Joker doesn't need to know Batman is Bruce. All he needed to note was that Batman went for her without thinking. In his mind he figures out that she is important to him.

In fact the whole Coleman Reese subplot is about the Joker no longer wishing to know who Batman is. It is pretty much established that Wayne wanted to save Rachel. Heck, Harvey wanted Batman to save Rachel.

This. He doesn't know. He also doesn't really care.

I think he knows (or at least suspects - Wayne employee Coleman Reese's threat to go public only confirming such suspicions) and still doesn't care! As he said in the comics once - that IS his real face!

Woah, two Batman threads at once Chris, impressive!

comics alliance had a great article on the supposed truism of Bruce Wayne being the mask to Batman's 'real' face, will see if I can find it.

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 1172
RE: The Dark Knight - 25/8/2012 1:31:11 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: cerebusboy

As for "plot holes", Batman would have reacted as he did if ANYONE had been thrown out of the window, and people are presupposing he had further need to kill/capture hostages. Joker has a plan, Dent wasn't there, Rachel was thrown out the window. You can claim it's more in keeping with his character to kill all the hostages, but I'd disagree. Joker has a plan (I know he says he doesn't but Bad guys lie!) .

Yeah, but the only reason The Joker was there in the first place was to get Harvey Dent. Woulda been a bit remiss of him not to have a bloody good look round after Bats went basejumping with his squeeze. And as my missus pointed out, that great big cupboard door jammed with a broom handle (or whatever it was) was a bit of a giveaway. It is undeniably a huge (arguably lazy) plot hole. More a gaping chasm, actually. Not as gaping as those cops down the sewers, mind...

Actually, I would say that The Dark Knight's plot holes are far more egregious/problematic than those of The Dark Knight Rises, although we have had four years to spot them all. And unlike a lot of the alleged "plot holes" in The Dark Knight Rises, the plot holes in The Dark Knight actually exist.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 1173
RE: The Dark Knight - 25/8/2012 1:33:07 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

As for "plot holes", Batman would have reacted as he did if ANYONE had been thrown out of the window, and people are presupposing he had further need to kill/capture hostages. Joker has a plan, Dent wasn't there, Rachel was thrown out the window. You can claim it's more in keeping with his character to kill all the hostages, but I'd disagree. Joker has a plan (I know he says he doesn't but Bad guys lie!) .

Yeah, but the only reason The Joker was there in the first place was to get Harvey Dent. Woulda been a bit remiss of him not to have a bloody good look round after Bats went basejumping with his squeeze. And as my missus pointed out, that great big cupboard door jammed with a broom handle (or whatever it was) was a bit of a giveaway. It is undeniably a huge (arguably lazy) plot hole. More a gaping chasm, actually. Not as gaping as those cops down the sewers, mind...

Actually, I would say that The Dark Knight's plot holes are far more egregious/problematic than those of The Dark Knight Rises, although we have had four years to spot them all. And unlike a lot of the alleged "plot holes" in The Dark Knight Rises, the plot holes in The Dark Knight actually exist.

Yes, but Joker says "for a while I thought you were Dent". It's plausible that he left the party satisfied that the guy jumping out in the batsuit was, or probably could be Dent.

Post #: 1174
RE: The Dark Knight - 25/8/2012 1:36:33 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

That's nuthin'. The other day you thought I was on the same thread twice at the same time!

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 1175
RE: The Dark Knight - 25/8/2012 1:38:13 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, but Joker says "for a while I thought you were Dent". It's plausible that he left the party satisfied that the guy jumping out in the batsuit was, or probably could be Dent.

Yeah, that's a good one. Never thought of that.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 1176
RE: The Dark Knight - 25/8/2012 1:44:02 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

Well said dude. Except for the bit where you call Killing Joke overrated and praise Jeph Loeb

I didn't actually praise Loeb. I merely pointed out that The Long Halloween clearly inspired The Dark Knight - primarily Maroni and the idea that, Heisenberg-like, Batman's very existence has led to a power shift from traditional gangsters to freaks. I thought it was OK, but it still read like Miller's sloppy seconds. Most Batman comics do, which is why I don't read so many super hero comics these days. After Dark Knight/Watchmen, what was the point...?

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 1177
RE: The Dark Knight - 25/8/2012 1:48:04 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, that's a good one. Never thought of that.

Aside from which, it's obvious that the Joker is more preoccupied with Bats than he is anyone else. I can certainly see him having a "forget Dent, this is a whole new ball game" after tangling with Batman. I doubt Joker has anything like the grandiose plan he eventually implements at the party scene (especially if we assume he just wanted to find Dent to kill him)

Post #: 1178
RE: The Dark Knight - 25/8/2012 1:54:24 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

'Realism', even assuming it is necessarily contrary to genre fiction, is a recent innovation, a literary cul-de-sac. To posit it as the only mechanism for serious themes is demonstrable nonsense.

Precisely my argument against Jimmy McGovern's criticism of the likes of Doctor Who. Actually, it's Clive Barker's argument: if you lazily dismiss all non-realistic, non-naturalistic fiction, you're invalidating a lot of the literary canon - Shakespeare, Dickens, all the ancient myths and legends which have inspired so much art, literature and movies in their own right, not least The Bible. He's also insulting a lot of his TV drama predecessors. Notably the defiantly non-naturalistic Dennis Potter. Maybe McGovern's never seen Pennies From Heaven or The Singing Detective. Or what I still consider THE Greatest TV Drama of All Time, Troy Kennedy Martin's Edge of Darkness, which beneath the contemporary nuclear thriller surface has some very funny, mystical ideas indeed.

I admire McGovern's work as well (even if it can be annoyingly didactic and on-the-nose), but he's talking out his realistic arse when he says silly things like that.

What is "realism," anyway? All drama is life with the boring bits left out. Soap operas, on the other hand, are life with extra boring bits added. In fact, the more drama aspires to "realism" the more it exposes how unreal it is. And I'm not just talking about bat-themed masked vigilantes - how come no-one in Eastenders watches TV, talks about the news, commutes to work or owns a washing machine...?

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 25/8/2012 2:11:08 PM >

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 1179
RE: The Dark Knight - 25/8/2012 3:50:07 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

Haven't you heard? I'm omnipresent. As well as omniscient. Although this is occasionally mistaken for pedantry...

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 1180
RE: The Dark Knight - 13/9/2012 3:51:48 AM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

Here's an interesting excerpt from the novelisation for TDK following the charity event in Bruce's penthouse:

The Joker looked back toward the penthouse as his getaway car sped away. He breathed hard, exhilarated even as a stream of blood ran down his face and tells the driver how the Batman saved Rachel and starts to wonder if they have a relationship or Batman does this with everyone and this can lead to his downfall. He smacked the back of the driver's seat. Driver: "What do we do about Dent?" The Joker: "I'm a man of my word."

TDK novel (click)

For anyone who's really eager, there's a book with the screenplay for the entire trilogy and it includs scenes that were cut/weren't filmed:

The Dark Knight Trilogy (click)

Actually, there's a good 'look inside' feature Amazon, it has a scene that was cut from BB where Bruce speaks to one of the villagers before ascending the mountain to the League of Shadows' lair.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 13/9/2012 12:27:08 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 1181
A Blockbuster With Brains - 9/12/2012 7:21:38 PM   
movienut707

Chris Nolan's follow-up to the seminal Batman Begins, The Dark Knight is the most powerful portrait of the masked crusader to date, and Heath Ledger gives the single greatest performance of the past decade.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 1182
Surely the greatest comic book movie ever made - 5/2/2013 8:54:11 PM   
Mr Gittes

Sure, it's not perfect but the word I'd use to describe the movie would be one that Empire used when writing about Ledger's performance; monumental. If Richard Donner's Superman is the Citizen Kane of superhero movies then The Dark Knight is The Godfather.

Post #: 1183
The Dark Knight - 21/2/2013 3:03:30 PM   
LukeTheFilmFan

Its One Of The Greatest Comic Book Movies And Has One Of The Greatest Villains Of All Time

Post #: 1184
Nolan's Masterpiece - 21/5/2013 4:49:24 PM   
BlackjackMusk3teer

Ledger's performance as clown-faced psychopath The Joker will be acknowledged as one of greatest villains of all time. With a blockbuster budget, all-star cast and breathtaking action, The Dark Knight succeeds in being the ultimate sequel to its impressive predecessor; Batman Begins.

Post #: 1185
"Why so serious." - 24/10/2013 4:10:31 AM   
Jericho117

Christopher Nolan does a fantastic job with this darkest of dark knight's, although this film does somewhat overdue the sense of grimness. overall a triumphant Batman and without a doubt Heath Ledger's performance will go down in history as one of the best (if not the best), performances of all time.

Post #: 1186
- 27/5/2014 10:07:10 PM   
danfacey711

This firmly cements itself in the rare and brilliant category of 'timeless films.' Almost perfect, always entertaining, still one of the best performances.

Post #: 1187
Page:   <<   < prev  36 37 38 39 [40]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: The Dark Knight Page: <<   < prev  36 37 38 39 [40]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI