Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Dark Knight

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: The Dark Knight Page: <<   < prev  35 36 [37] 38 39   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Dark Knight - 21/8/2012 12:41:17 AM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prophet_of_Doom

I can't believe I get abused for comparing Bay and Nolan, but then The Godfather and The Dark Knight are mentioned on the same page. Screw that, on the same website. Feck it, The Godfather and The Dark Knight shouldn't even both be mentioned on the same internet web thingy! The Dark Knight is a great popcorn flick; it has delusions of grandeur but has too many flaws for it to be considered a cinematic masterpiece.

You know, it's funny you should say that. Plenty of critics at the time said exactly the same thing about The Godfather. That it was "just" a pretentious gangster flick based on a trashy novel, that it was no masterpiece, and Brando's tired theatrics were anything but great acting. I'm not saying these criticisms were correct. I've always liked The Godfather even though it hopelessly romanticises the worst kind of criminal scum the same way The Dark Knight Trilogy hopelessly romanticises politically dubious masked vigilantes. But be under no illusions. Both are utterly unbelievable fantasies with no bearing on reality whatsoever. Both are also, in their own way, pretentious genre flicks with "delusions of grandeur." That's why I like 'em!

I haven't watched The Godfather in ages. I might just stick it on...

That only works as a criticism if you think that Coppola was trying to tell a real version of the Mafia world, and wasn't just using it as something from which to hang a story about family and the loss of soul.

Godfather has as much to say about crime as AN has to say about Vietnam. It the dressing for deeper themes.

Who's criticising? I said I like them both, didn't I? The two aren't mutually exclusive, you know. The Godfather and The Dark Knight are both demonstrably good, quality movies made with care, skill and, above all, intelligence. Therefore I like 'em. They could be musicals or rom-coms for all I care. A good film is a good film. You might nitpick films you claim to like to death but I don't. Some people go out of their way to pick holes and find fault. Me? I go out of my way to enjoy the movies I like otherwise what is the point? I thought this was supposed to be fun. But this is like pulling teeth.

Incidentally, on a thematic level, I have said much the same about The Dark Knight Trilogy. It's depth and subtext is part of the reason I enjoy them so much on top of being superb action-adventure movies in their own right. So once again I fail to see any real disagreement here. You still seem to be arguing with yourself.

I don't know. Maybe gangster and super-hero movies aren't the ideal place for such thought-provoking ideas after all...

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 21/8/2012 12:46:06 AM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 1081
RE: The Dark Knight - 21/8/2012 12:42:10 AM   
Rgirvan44

Hey look - more insults.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 1082
RE: The Dark Knight - 21/8/2012 12:46:02 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

My god, you are a painfully pedantic and literal-minded sort of chap, aren't you?

quote:

Where are these critics you mention?

Seriously? OK then, if you absolutely insist, but I'm not usually this pedantic...

"The immorality lies in his presentation of murderers as delightful family men - the criminal is the salt of the earth - and to our shame we rub it into the wounds of our Watergate-world morality and even ask for more."

(Judith Crist, 1974)

"They have put pudding in Brando's cheeks and dirtied his teeth, he speaks hoarsely and moves stiffly, and these combined mechanics are hailed as great acting... Like star,like film, the keynote is inflation. The Godfather was made from a big bestseller, a lot of money was spent on it, and it runs over three hours. Therefore it's important."

(Stanley Kauffmann)

There were others, you know. No film is ever universally adored no matter how popular it is, how much money it makes or how many awards it wins. Which was the original point I was trying to make. Really, do I have to spell out absolutely everything I say in such tediously tendentious fashion? Blimey.

quote:

Here is the New York Times
http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=EE05E7DF1739E464BC4E52DFB5668389669EDE

Ebert
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19720101/REVIEWS/201010312/1023

Kael
http://www.potatoships.com/paulineadobe/index.htm

And your point is...? I mean apart from quoting other people's points.

I like how you complain someone is pedantic and are then pedantic.

I like how you reel off other people's points and then complain because someone is using other people's points.

Self-awareness: you lack it.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 1083
RE: The Dark Knight - 21/8/2012 12:53:40 AM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

My god, you are a painfully pedantic and literal-minded sort of chap, aren't you?

quote:

Where are these critics you mention?

Seriously? OK then, if you absolutely insist, but I'm not usually this pedantic...

"The immorality lies in his presentation of murderers as delightful family men - the criminal is the salt of the earth - and to our shame we rub it into the wounds of our Watergate-world morality and even ask for more."

(Judith Crist, 1974)

"They have put pudding in Brando's cheeks and dirtied his teeth, he speaks hoarsely and moves stiffly, and these combined mechanics are hailed as great acting... Like star,like film, the keynote is inflation. The Godfather was made from a big bestseller, a lot of money was spent on it, and it runs over three hours. Therefore it's important."

(Stanley Kauffmann)

There were others, you know. No film is ever universally adored no matter how popular it is, how much money it makes or how many awards it wins. Which was the original point I was trying to make. Really, do I have to spell out absolutely everything I say in such tediously tendentious fashion? Blimey.

quote:

Here is the New York Times
http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=EE05E7DF1739E464BC4E52DFB5668389669EDE

Ebert
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19720101/REVIEWS/201010312/1023

Kael
http://www.potatoships.com/paulineadobe/index.htm

And your point is...? I mean apart from quoting other people's points.

I like how you complain someone is pedantic and are then pedantic.

I like how you reel off other people's points and then complain because someone is using other people's points.

Oh FFS. He asked, no challenged me to name critics who slated The Godfather. I did so. Reluctantly, I might add. It is also entirely possible I was being... ironic and/or sarcastic. Don't tell me that's against the rules or something

quote:

Self-awareness: you lack it.

Oh, I think that just might be a tad premature and presumptuous, don't you? You don't even know me yet. I wouldn't rush to that judgement till ALL the facts are in...

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 1084
RE: The Dark Knight - 21/8/2012 12:59:02 AM   
homersimpson_esq

On the evidence thus far.

You accuse others of things that you yourself do. Double standards.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 1085
RE: The Dark Knight - 21/8/2012 12:59:06 AM   
chris kilby

quote:

And you wonder why people aren't that keen talking to you.

I beg your pardon? What people are these then? Did you take a vote or something?

(Sorry, but was that a sort of snide, backhanded insult thingie? Ironic.)

quote:

Oh but of course you are just having some light hearted "banter".

I'm not quite sure what it is I'm having at this exact moment. But it feels like an acid flashback or something.

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 21/8/2012 1:05:06 AM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 1086
RE: The Dark Knight - 21/8/2012 1:02:40 AM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

On the evidence thus far.

Oh, if you say so.

quote:

You accuse others of things that you yourself do. Double standards.

An rare occurrence online, I'd have thought. Like I said, you clearly don't know me yet

Post #: 1087
RE: The Dark Knight - 21/8/2012 1:02:58 AM   
Deviation

How on Earth did The Godfather get a sympathy win?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 1088
RE: The Dark Knight - 21/8/2012 1:03:15 AM   
Rgirvan44

I would respond but I am afraid that I just simply don't measure up to your high standards of polite discourse.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 1089
RE: The Dark Knight - 21/8/2012 1:04:54 AM   
homersimpson_esq

I'm not really sure what knowing you has to do with the price of fish.

You moan that someone is being pedantic. Then you are pedantic.

You have a go because somebody lists critics who were favourable towards The Godfather - despite having made that happen in the first place - and then list your own critics with unfavourable reviews of The Godfather.

What am I missing here?

Bristol Bad Film Club

Post #: 1090
RE: The Dark Knight - 21/8/2012 1:08:35 AM   
chris kilby

I am asking myself the same question.

(Look, I came here to talk about films not to get drawn into pointless, protracted online arguments about... what exactly I don't know. We seem to be going round in circles here. I posted a lengthy review of The Dark Knight earlier, a film I'd quite like to chat about. But somehow that has descended into an argument about The Godfather which unless I miss my guess, we are ALL agreed is a good film we all like. I think I'll come back later when we've all got our wires uncrossed.)

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 21/8/2012 1:15:41 AM >

Post #: 1091
RE: The Dark Knight - 21/8/2012 1:10:02 AM   
homersimpson_esq

If you can get a straight answer out of yourself, let me know.

Bristol Bad Film Club

Post #: 1092
RE: The Dark Knight - 21/8/2012 1:11:28 AM   
Deviation

How in Earth did The Godfather gain a sympathy vote?

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

Post #: 1093
RE: The Dark Knight - 21/8/2012 1:11:44 AM   
Prophet_of_Doom

So, the Dark Knight ... oh wait, wrong thread

Post #: 1094
RE: The Dark Knight - 21/8/2012 1:12:32 AM   
homersimpson_esq

This is a particularly dark night...for logical discourse.

DID YOU SEE WHAT I DID THERE.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Prophet_of_Doom)
Post #: 1095
RE: The Dark Knight - 21/8/2012 1:12:45 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

s'ok I suppose.

Post #: 1096
RE: The Dark Knight - 21/8/2012 1:17:00 AM   
Deviation

MY QUESTION WILL REMAIN UNANSWERED WHY

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 1097
RE: The Dark Knight - 21/8/2012 1:18:53 AM   
Prophet_of_Doom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

There's a line in Trainspotting when they're talking about Sean Connery and reference The Untouchables getting a sympathy vote ... so I'm assuming it was a play on words/quotes by CK.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 1098
RE: The Dark Knight - 21/8/2012 1:22:10 AM   
Rgirvan44

Clearly I need to watch Trainspotting every night now or something.

Post #: 1099
RE: The Dark Knight - 21/8/2012 1:25:41 AM   
Prophet_of_Doom

quote:

There's a Trainspotting game similar to the drinking game that accompanies Withnail and I. Except not with alcohol. I'm playing it right now. It's the only way I've survived this thread. Suppository anybody?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 1100
RE: The Dark Knight - 21/8/2012 1:27:00 AM   
chris kilby

quote:

SICK BOY
All I'm trying to do is help you understand that The Name of The Rose is merely a blip on an otherwise uninterrupted downward trajectory.

RENTON
What about The Untouchables?

SICK BOY
I don't rate that at all.

RENTON
Despite the Academy Award?

SICK BOY
That means fuck all. Its a sympathy vote.

I say again: I was quoting Trainspotting with the express aim of questioning the validity of awards in general, not the artistic merit of The Godfather which would still be a good film whether it won Oscars or not. Apocalypse Now is even "better" and as far as I know that didn't win any Oscars. Unlike, say, Driving Miss Daisy. See what I mean? I don't know. I'm a man of vision and the world's wearing bi-focals. (That's a famous film quote an' all.)

(There's no need to shout.)

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 21/8/2012 1:28:24 AM >

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 1101
RE: The Dark Knight - 21/8/2012 1:30:02 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

There's a Trainspotting game similar to the drinking game that accompanies Withnail and I. Except not with alcohol. I'm playing it right now. It's the only way I've survived this thread. Suppository anybody?

Living in the centre of the city where the film is set, I just need to open my window to get a new nightly spin on the movie.

Post #: 1102
RE: The Dark Knight - 21/8/2012 1:30:24 AM   
chris kilby

quote:

quote:

There's a line in Trainspotting when they're talking about Sean Connery and reference The Untouchables getting a sympathy vote ... so I'm assuming it was a play on words/quotes by CK.

Thank you. Blimey O'Reilly!

(Prophet of Doom, huh? I know how you feel...)

Post #: 1103
RE: The Dark Knight - 21/8/2012 1:33:54 AM   
chris kilby

Anywho... The Dark Knight. Did I raise any issues about it earlier in my rather lengthy (and, I hoped, serious and thought-provoking yet light-hearted) review/essay that anyone would like to discuss on this Dark Knight Review thread? Anyone...?

Post #: 1104
RE: The Dark Knight - 21/8/2012 1:39:53 AM   
chris kilby

quote:

No, wait! Come back! Come back, Shane. I mean Batman. COME BAAAAAAAAAAAACK...!!!

(You see what I did there? It's Shane. It's a film. Quite a famous western, actually. Which was rather poignantly referenced at the end of The Dark Knight. Just like it was at the end of Pale Rider. I mentioned it in my review, earlier. No...? [SIGHS] I'll get me coat.)

Post #: 1105
RE: The Dark Knight - 21/8/2012 1:42:29 AM   
Prophet_of_Doom

quote:

Anywho... The Dark Knight. Did I raise any issues about it earlier in my rather lengthy (and, I hoped, serious and thought-provoking yet light-hearted) review/essay that anyone would like to discuss on this Dark Knight Review thread? Anyone...?

Well, the first point I'd take issue with is the lack of flab. There's definitely flab. Always is with Nolan.

But the one single feature that I always remember, the first thing that always pops into my head is this: Nolan (and most of the film's fans) focus on how the film is bedded in reality. Not the cartoon world of Burton, but a hyper-stylised world in which we might all exist. And then, he gives us the worst cgi make-up for Two-Face at the end, that I thought I was watching shots from The Mummy. And The Mummy hasn't aged well. The moment that happened, BAM, the film lost me. Because everything in a film has to work within the framework that it has built for itself.

Post #: 1106
RE: The Dark Knight - 21/8/2012 1:56:07 AM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

SICK BOY
All I'm trying to do is help you understand that The Name of The Rose is merely a blip on an otherwise uninterrupted downward trajectory.

RENTON
What about The Untouchables?

SICK BOY
I don't rate that at all.

RENTON
Despite the Academy Award?

SICK BOY
That means fuck all. Its a sympathy vote.

I say again: I was quoting Trainspotting with the express aim of questioning the validity of awards in general, not the artistic merit of The Godfather which would still be a good film whether it won Oscars or not. Apocalypse Now is even "better" and as far as I know that didn't win any Oscars. Unlike, say, Driving Miss Daisy. See what I mean? I don't know. I'm a man of vision and the world's wearing bi-focals. (That's a famous film quote an' all.)

(There's no need to shout.)

But...why the hell use that for The Godfather? It's totally irrelevant to the point there. It's fucking confusing to say the least.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 21/8/2012 1:58:02 AM >

quote:

quote:

Post #: 1107
RE: The Dark Knight - 21/8/2012 2:27:07 AM   
chris kilby

You're confused!?!

(Leave the gun. Take the cannoli. Happy, now...? )

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 21/8/2012 2:29:40 AM >

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 1108
RE: The Dark Knight - 21/8/2012 3:30:35 AM   
chris kilby

quote:

quote:

Well, the first point I'd take issue with is the lack of flab. There's definitely flab. Always is with Nolan.

From a purely scriptwriting perspective, I'd say Nolan and his co-writers are definitely low-fat. If anything, you could argue they are too schematic. A-B writers, overly-concerned with plot at the expense of everything else. Look how the scenes at the start of The Dark Knight introduce The Joker, Gordon, Batman/Wayne and Dent, in turn, then starts mixing and matching them (Batman and Gordon, Gordon and Dent, Dent and Wayne) until the triumverate of "decent men in an indecent time" meet for the first time on the roof of the MCU. Each scene, building up to that moment which sets Act II in motion, is textbook "Screenwriting 101." Each scene imparts vital information about character, plot or both then, job done, doesn't hang about. On to the next scene. Yet what could be a soulless exercise in plot mechanics is anything but cos these vital scenes which introduce the dramatis personae and set up the plot are great dramatic scenes in their own right. The drama hides the machinery. Now that's good writing and as lean as Jessica Ennis.

Take the dinner scene between Bruce, Harvey and Rachel. It's virtually the heart and soul of the film and, apart from The Joker, the main engine of the plot. This scene establishes so much amid the witty banter and amusing character interplay. It establishes that Bruce believes Harvey could well be The White Knight he's been looking for. It sets up the whole "Either you die a hero" thing which basically binds Bruce and Harvey together and seals their fate. But most importantly and most subtly it starts ringing alarm bells that Harvey maybe isn't quite The White Knight everyone hopes he is and suggests that maybe Two-Face was lurking far below the surface all along. And it does all this and more with incredible skill, craft and economy.

It's a bit of a screenwriting masterclass in its own right. A filmmaking and acting masterclass too. Listen to what's being said. And what is unsaid. Look at the masks everyone's wearing, the lies and deceptions. Look at the telling glances between Rachel and Bruce which speak volumes. Watch how the camera circles the characters round the table (a signature move which recurs throughout the film) which suggests unease and reflects how, behind Bruce's smirking playboy act, The Batman is circling Harvey like a predator, trying to suss him out. Phew! And that's not the half of it. And that's just one scene. I've seen whole movies which don't have that much going on!

quote:

But the one single feature that I always remember, the first thing that always pops into my head is this: Nolan (and most of the film's fans) focus on how the film is bedded in reality. Not the cartoon world of Burton, but a hyper-stylised world in which we might all exist. And then, he gives us the worst cgi make-up for Two-Face at the end, that I thought I was watching shots from The Mummy. And The Mummy hasn't aged well. The moment that happened, BAM, the film lost me. Because everything in a film has to work within the framework that it has built for itself.

Fair enough. Few things date quicker than special effects. Personally I found "Two-Face" disturbingly horrific, a good "Nolanverse" approximation of the comics, and a vast improvement on the Tommy Lee Jones in Batman Forever. I thought it looked convincingly "real" enough although obviously such an injury would surely prove fatal. Burns victims are particularly prone to infections and at the very least Harvey would be blind in that dry, lidless eye, and sound like The Elephant Man. Wearing Bane's gimp mask.

But that's the tightrope Nolan's been walking - between comic book fantasy and at least the appearance of a plausible pseudo-reality. As I said before, I think The Dark Knight Trilogy's supposed "realism" has been overstated and can be counter-productive - the more "real" it tries to be, the sillier it risks looking. Two-Face kinda encapsulates that.

I like Nolan and Burton's Bat-flicks for different reasons. While I prefer the gritty "reality" of Nolan (probably cos I'm so pedantic) I've always loved the twisted, German Expressionism of Batman Returns which, being so timeless, may actually age better than The Dark Knight Trilogy. Nolan's films are so contemporary, so rooted in the here-and-now (9/11, The War on Terror, Occupy, yadda, yadda, yadda) that they may date really badly. Even more than poor old Harvey's CGI-ed face!

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 21/8/2012 3:41:03 AM >

Post #: 1109
RE: The Dark Knight - 21/8/2012 3:30:44 AM   
Deviation

It is because it would suggest you thought The Godfather was that, a sympathy vote.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 1110
Page:   <<   < prev  35 36 [37] 38 39   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: The Dark Knight Page: <<   < prev  35 36 [37] 38 39   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI