Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Overhyped, overrated, Hollywood, blockbuster and Batman.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Overhyped, overrated, Hollywood, blockbuster and Batman. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Overhyped, overrated, Hollywood, blockbuster and Ba... - 16/7/2008 2:27:48 PM   
krudler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

X2 < young and impressionable
Spider-Man < young and impressionable
Spider-Man 3 <brother
Batman Begins < brother
Iron Man < Robert Downey Jr
Hancock < brother
Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull < mum

why bother going to see these then? "forced me" what did he bind and gag you and drag you to the cinema?

quote:

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to Squidward Hark Bugle)
Post #: 61
RE: Overhyped, overrated, Hollywood, blockbuster and Ba... - 16/7/2008 2:30:01 PM   
Larry of Arabia

Indiana Jones is not a superhero.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 62
RE: Overhyped, overrated, Hollywood, blockbuster and Ba... - 16/7/2008 2:52:10 PM   
livewire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia

Indiana Jones is not a superhero.

Even if he did nuke a fridge.

I`ve never had a message for anyone in my entire life. Except maybe to give out my room number" - Bonn Scott 1946 1980

Punchdrunk - 1981 - 2010

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 63
RE: Overhyped, overrated, Hollywood, blockbuster and Ba... - 16/7/2008 2:57:20 PM   
norman365

hoping this is a good as everyone is preying it is. I have to say Empire's view sounds more like a four star film instead of the full five, but they've hardly ever let me down in their opinion

can't wait to see what cheesy slogan the toy company comes up with this time for this one ("crime never wins when Batman Begins!!!")

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 64
RE: Overhyped, overrated, Hollywood, blockbuster and Ba... - 16/7/2008 3:18:03 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

Let's just get this thread back on topic, please?

The Dark Kanigget

(in reply to norman365)
Post #: 65
RE: Overhyped, overrated, Hollywood, blockbuster and Ba... - 16/7/2008 3:20:03 PM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

ORIGINAL: norman365

hoping this is a good as everyone is preying it is. I have to say Empire's view sounds more like a four star film instead of the full five, but they've hardly ever let me down in their opinion

can't wait to see what cheesy slogan the toy company comes up with this time for this one ("crime never wins when Batman Begins!!!")

Is that true what doughnut thought that up??

For the record I can't wait to see The Dark Knight.   

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to norman365)
Post #: 66
RE: Overhyped, overrated, Hollywood, blockbuster and Ba... - 16/7/2008 3:36:25 PM   
TomTron

quote:

The Dark Knight
An unoriginal, nonsensical and boring exercise in neo-blockbuster technical wankery. Heath Ledger's performance saves this from razzie territory, while Bale's threatens to bring it closer. Christopher Nolan just isn't that good a director (The Prestige being the exception). The look and feel of the film is offensive, and the sound and score are an assault on the ears. Bale, Caine, Freeman, Eckhart and Gyllenhaal can all do better than this, and this is definitely a sad way to end Ledger's career. Here's hoping that Gilliam does a good job on Parnassus so that Ledger can have left on a good light.
[image]http://www.empireonline.com.au/images/stars/medium_2.gif[/image]
2/5

Offensive? How? Don't expect to write a trashy review like this without explaining yourself.

As for the sound and the score, awww, was it too loud for you?

< Message edited by TomTron -- 16/7/2008 3:37:14 PM >

Post #: 67
RE: Overhyped, overrated, Hollywood, blockbuster and Ba... - 16/7/2008 3:45:16 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

The score controls our mood when we wouldn't otherwise be feeling what the film intends, and then it jolts you with a sudden blast of drums which make no sense to be there.

Completely unoriginal. Everything is taken from another film. SPOILERS. The dad dying and the wife and children being upset. The sensible butler to the mischievous billionaire. Focusing on the moral dilemma on the boats. Because it's more interesting than the main story. Lots of other things as well which someone else on the internet has probably mentioned. <<< Poor filmmaking in the extreme.

Batman himself prevents this from getting more than three stars, but add the things I've just mentioned and you have a NEGATIVE film.

(in reply to TomTron)
Post #: 68
RE: Overhyped, overrated, Hollywood, blockbuster and Ba... - 16/7/2008 3:51:14 PM   
no1psh

quote:

ORIGINAL: TomTron

quote:

The Dark Knight
An unoriginal, nonsensical and boring exercise in neo-blockbuster technical wankery. Heath Ledger's performance saves this from razzie territory, while Bale's threatens to bring it closer. Christopher Nolan just isn't that good a director (The Prestige being the exception). The look and feel of the film is offensive, and the sound and score are an assault on the ears. Bale, Caine, Freeman, Eckhart and Gyllenhaal can all do better than this, and this is definitely a sad way to end Ledger's career. Here's hoping that Gilliam does a good job on Parnassus so that Ledger can have left on a good light.
[image]http://www.empireonline.com.au/images/stars/medium_2.gif[/image]
2/5

Offensive? How? Don't expect to write a trashy review like this without explaining yourself.

As for the sound and the score, awww, was it too loud for you?

This is a guy that doesn't like superhero films in the first place, who was dragged to the movie by his brother and who then writes a review that looks like it was decided without having seen the film in the first place!

"I drink you're milkshake!"
"I drink it up"

(in reply to TomTron)
Post #: 69
RE: Overhyped, overrated, Hollywood, blockbuster and Ba... - 16/7/2008 3:55:33 PM   
krudler

quote:

The score controls our mood when we wouldn't otherwise be feeling what the film intends, and then it jolts you with a sudden blast of drums which make no sense to be there.

Completely unoriginal. Everything is taken from another film. SPOILERS. The dad dying and the wife and children being upset. The sensible butler to the mischievous billionaire. Focusing on the moral dilemma on the boats. Because it's more interesting than the main story. Lots of other things as well which someone else on the internet has probably mentioned. <<< Poor filmmaking in the extreme.

Batman himself prevents this from getting more than three stars, but add the things I've just mentioned and you have a NEGATIVE film.

i have the soundtrack and its fantastic, granted i dont know what visuals its accompanying but still, and as for the score controlling our mood, thats whats movie scores are meant to do, induce feelings to accompany what you're seeing on screen, take away the score and the opening of Star Wars is words on a black background, with the score its one of the most famous openings in cinema history

as for making no sense? well Nolan approved the score and the 2 guys who wrote it have been nominated for 13 Oscars between them, you havent so lets just leave the decisions as to what does and doesnt make sense to them yes?

< Message edited by krudler -- 16/7/2008 3:58:40 PM >

quote:

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

Post #: 70
RE: Overhyped, overrated, Hollywood, blockbuster and Ba... - 16/7/2008 3:57:36 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

I saw the film then I made up my mind.

Did you really think I'd write something other than what I did, given my history?

(in reply to no1psh)
Post #: 71
RE: Overhyped, overrated, Hollywood, blockbuster and Ba... - 16/7/2008 4:00:06 PM   
krudler

quote:

I saw the film then I made up my mind.

Did you really think I'd write something other than what I did, given my history?

so you're admitting its a biased review?

quote:

Post #: 72
RE: Overhyped, overrated, Hollywood, blockbuster and Ba... - 16/7/2008 4:01:40 PM   
Wilbert

Squidward's review seems a bit nonsensical to me but it's his opinion and he's entitled to it. No point debating it with him if you haven't seen them film.

How did you get to see the film, Squiddy?

You're killing Independent George!!!!

Post #: 73
RE: Overhyped, overrated, Hollywood, blockbuster and Ba... - 16/7/2008 4:02:12 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

Yes.

I've been assaulted too many times by this kind of film. I have no desire to give it an easy time.

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 74
RE: Overhyped, overrated, Hollywood, blockbuster and Ba... - 16/7/2008 4:04:52 PM   
krudler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert

Squidward's review seems a bit nonsensical to me but it's his opinion and he's entitled to it. No point debating it with him if you haven't seen them film.

Oh I'm not debating his opinion of it, but he's basically said it was inevitable he wouldnt like it, so why bother going to it at all? its pretty silly to lump all movies in one genre together because you may not be a fan of said genre, as a rule of thumb i dont like musicals but i went to see Sweeney Todd and absoutely loved it

quote:

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 75
RE: Overhyped, overrated, Hollywood, blockbuster and Ba... - 16/7/2008 4:07:43 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

With musicals it's different. It's a film genre. Blockbuster isn't a genre. It's just a category where you lump the big dumb crowd-pleasers together. They will never be anything more. Same with chick flicks.

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 76
RE: Overhyped, overrated, Hollywood, blockbuster and Ba... - 16/7/2008 4:09:53 PM   
CORLEONE

Guys, guys, this is just Squidward's opinion. And as he's not a fan of superheroes or comics then we can totally disregard it can't we?

I know some of you feel this is a personal attack as you've already fallen head over heels for this movie (me too), but it really is just a point of view. My girlfriend thinks Love Actually is a great film but I KNOW it is shit. It's just her an opinion and will never coincide with my own.

PS. If she says anything negative about The Dark Knight we're finished.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

Post #: 77
RE: Overhyped, overrated, Hollywood, blockbuster and Ba... - 16/7/2008 4:19:07 PM   
no1psh

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

Guys, guys, this is just Squidward's opinion. And as he's not a fan of superheroes or comics then we can totally disregard it can't we?

I know some of you feel this is a personal attack as you've already fallen head over heels for this movie (me too), but it really is just a point of view. My girlfriend thinks Love Actually is a great film but I KNOW it is shit. It's just her an opinion and will never coincide with my own.

I think its the fact that he doesn't like superhero movies in the first place, then makes the arguement that he didn't want to go to see the film-but was dragged by his brother. And after all that he writes what can only be considered as an obvious negative review. Everybody is entitled to an opinion on a movie and the fact that not everyone is agreeing that this is a great film is a good thing I suppose. But its a vague, bias paragraph and not really a real review!

"I drink it up"

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 78
RE: Overhyped, overrated, Hollywood, blockbuster and Ba... - 16/7/2008 4:23:27 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: no1psh

quote:

I think its the fact that he doesn't like superhero movies in the first place, then makes the arguement that he didn't want to go to see the film-but was dragged by his brother. And after all that he writes what can only be considered as an obvious negative review. Everybody is entitled to an opinion on a movie and the fact that not everyone is agreeing that this is a great film is a good thing I suppose. But its a vague, bias paragraph and not really a real review!

I'm glad it's vague. If he went any deeper and gave away some spoilers I think the backlash would go nuclear!

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to no1psh)
Post #: 79
RE: Overhyped, overrated, Hollywood, blockbuster and Ba... - 16/7/2008 4:24:21 PM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: krudler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert

Oh I'm not debating his opinion of it, but he's basically said it was inevitable he wouldnt like it, so why bother going to it at all? its pretty silly to lump all movies in one genre together because you may not be a fan of said genre, as a rule of thumb i dont like musicals but i went to see Sweeney Todd and absoutely loved it

He's obviously got a very narrow, snobby opinion of films like this so it's pointless debating with someone who went in with a very closed mind.

He also liked Sweeney Todd so he is more to be pitied than anything else.

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 80
RE: Overhyped, overrated, Hollywood, blockbuster and Ba... - 16/7/2008 4:34:29 PM   
no1psh

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm glad it's vague. If he went any deeper and gave away some spoilers I think the backlash would go nuclear!

I know what you mean, but what I'm saying is that he's made a comment along the lines of that the actors in the movie are capable of doing better! Obviously if he doesn't like superhero movies-he would rather see these actors in a film that he likes! It just seems that his mind was made up before hand.

"I drink it up"

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 81
RE: Overhyped, overrated, Hollywood, blockbuster and Ba... - 16/7/2008 4:43:38 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I know what you mean, but what I'm saying is that he's made a comment along the lines of that the actors in the movie are capable of doing better! Obviously if he doesn't like superhero movies-he would rather see these actors in a film that he likes! It just seems that his mind was made up before hand.

I know what you mean. I'm sure we'll come back to his review once we've seen it. Roll on next Wednesday.

(in reply to no1psh)
Post #: 82
RE: Overhyped, overrated, Hollywood, blockbuster and Ba... - 16/7/2008 5:01:20 PM   
krudler

quote:

i dont get the snobby "oh they're capable of better" attitude, better according to who? surely most actors will take a guaranteed monster hit over some low budget indy flick that nobody will ever see, doing movies like this allows actors to earn a lot and then give them the freedom to pick and choose what they want,so if low budget films come along they can do them as passion projects not as work to earn a living,  sure actors want juicy roles in well written parts but both Batman movies have them in spades, but oh no they're popular movies so according to squidy that means they're beneath them, although reading his list of favourite films made me laugh, Erin Brokovich? yeah that was a little know indy flick that didnt make a dime wasnt it 

quote:

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 83
RE: Overhyped, overrated, Hollywood, blockbuster and Ba... - 16/7/2008 5:03:53 PM   
Diggler

I thought Squidward was a girl? I'm sure in another thread I read you were female, 18 and from Oz?

"Hey Ron, I'm riding a furry tractor"

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 84
Why So Serious? A Squid Annnoyed Me - 16/7/2008 5:20:56 PM   
livewire

Thats enough of this shite. I'm done with this thread till i've seen it myself. just to fininsh Squiddy, in the words of a certain icon of the 20th century "Quit your jibba jabba.l"

I`ve never had a message for anyone in my entire life. Except maybe to give out my room number" - Bonn Scott 1946 1980

Punchdrunk - 1981 - 2010

(in reply to Diggler)
Post #: 85
RE: What a load of over hyped hollywood bull - 16/7/2008 5:33:25 PM   
max314

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

Hello, madmax1982. It's your Uncle Bingo. Time to pay the check!

You're gone.

Er...  Did I just read this right, or did that madmax fella get banned while CORLEONE got off scott free for calling him a "cunt"?

Does having the same opinion as the powers that be allow you to get away with breaking the rules?

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.
Post #: 86
RE: What a load of over hyped hollywood bull - 16/7/2008 5:37:33 PM   
krudler

quote:

ORIGINAL: max314

quote:

You're gone.

Er...  Did I just read this right, or did that madmax fella get banned while CORLEONE got off scott free for calling him a "cunt"?

Does having the same opinion as the powers that be allow you to get away with breaking the rules?

It was harsh, but fair, he was a knob, and it was funny

< Message edited by krudler -- 16/7/2008 5:39:50 PM >

quote:

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 87
RE: What a load of over hyped hollywood bull - 16/7/2008 5:40:54 PM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: max314

quote:

You're gone.

Er... Did I just read this right, or did that madmax fella get banned while CORLEONE got off scott free for calling him a "cunt"?

You Max's always stick together!

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 88
RE: What a load of over hyped hollywood bull - 16/7/2008 5:43:12 PM   
max314

quote:

ORIGINAL: krudler
It was harsh, but fair, he was a knob

Surely you don't think it's "fair" to ban someone simply on account of not liking them.

Honestly, I was shocked when I saw that.  Even moreso that it was James who did it since I actually like the guy.

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 89
RE: What a load of over hyped hollywood bull - 16/7/2008 5:44:56 PM   
Neth

Let's keep this on-topic, please.

"You taste like a burger. I don't like you anymore."

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Overhyped, overrated, Hollywood, blockbuster and Batman. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI