Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Anyone into metal here?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Anyone into metal here? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Anyone into metal here? - 15/7/2008 9:10:24 PM   
Spengler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Swoz_MK

My iTunes says...

*stuff*

Yeah, Metal's alright innit.

Sir, I bow to you.

I'm looking for recommendations, as I'm trying to rebuild my collection after my computer got bad AIDS a while back and lost EVERYTHING. So, anything similar to the above - fast, heavy, powerful riffs and vocals?

Traitor

(in reply to Swoz_MK)
Post #: 31
RE: Anyone into metal here? - 15/7/2008 9:12:18 PM   
Spengler

quote:

ORIGINAL: bubs

Yeah I like metal. But particularly Post-Metal, Sludge, Stoner, Doom, etc. Here's what I got from those departments:

:etc:

Hmmm, not really into that kind. From my experience Doom Metal can be kinda drudgy, and doesn't really have much of a structure, just kinda plods. Anything within that list that's heavy and dynamic?

Traitor

(in reply to bubs)
Post #: 32
RE: Anyone into metal here? - 15/7/2008 9:57:04 PM   
bubs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spengler

quote:

Yeah I like metal. But particularly Post-Metal, Sludge, Stoner, Doom, etc. Here's what I got from those departments:

:etc:

Hmmm, not really into that kind. From my experience Doom Metal can be kinda drudgy, and doesn't really have much of a structure, just kinda plods. Anything within that list that's heavy and dynamic?
Okay let's see, here are my personal faves that are dynamic and heavy ofcourse:

Bossk
Cult Of Luna (Absolutely awesome)
ISIS
Mouth of The Architect
Neurosis (Arguably one of my all-time fave bands)
PELICAN
Shelter Red

etc. I love every band in the list, but these guys are more suited to what you're looking for. I hope I helped.

"Shake it once, shake it twice! A' give me a little bit of sugar spice!"- Bubs

Forza Juve

"Who Watches The Watchmen?"

"I'm Learnding"

Top 5 Favourite Albums:

1. Kid A - Radiohead
2. Spiderland - Slint
3. Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven - Godspeed You! Black Emperor
4. Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin
5. Laughing Stock - Talk Talk

My DVD's: http://perrin-bubs-f-rch.dvdaf.com/owned

(in reply to Spengler)
Post #: 33
RE: Anyone into metal here? - 15/7/2008 10:17:40 PM   
Manchurian candidate

I second Cult of luna.

"Ford's economics are the worst thing that's happened to this country since pantyhose ruined finger-fucking."
Lyndon B. Johnson
"British Beatitudes! … Beer, beef, business, bibles, bulldogs, battleships, buggery and bishops"
-Ulysses, By James Joyce
"Rose McGowan is a fucking clown"
-Harry Lime
"Who's Keith"
- Rhubarb

(in reply to bubs)
Post #: 34
RE: Anyone into metal here? - 15/7/2008 10:19:32 PM   
Jaiyan

I've never understood Tool being classed as metal, but then again I can't stand threads degenerating into definitions.
Fucking good band, regardless of genre.

I personally love all types of rock. From hair metal to old punk to "Cali-punk" to nu-metal to UK hardcore etc.

One band worth a mention in my book is Death By Stereo - for whom I have a spare ticket for Camden on Thurs if anyone wants it? ;)

(in reply to bubs)
Post #: 35
RE: Anyone into metal here? - 15/7/2008 11:47:33 PM   
matthewforan

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

I like Metallica, looking forward to Death Magnetic, hopefully it'll be a lot better than the monstrosity that was St. Anger.  I'm also a fan of Marilyn Manson.  Even though he's controversial, I think he is an interesting lyricist, and his music is superb.

quote:

ORIGINAL: matthewforan

Do Nine Inch Nails and Rage Against The Machine count? If so.......... yes me.

Nine Inch Nails are Industrial Metal so definitely, while Rage are Alternative Rock/Funk Metal.  I was looking forward to Rage on the BBC's coverage of T in the Park but they weren't allowed to broadcast their performance !

Well I'll tell you they rocked the whole fecking place it was one of the greatest nights of my life. Biffy were also great.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 36
RE: Anyone into metal here? - 16/7/2008 9:14:27 AM   
boys_dont_cry

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: boys_dont_cry

I do like a bit of metal, though I really would NEVER consider Avenge Sevenfold metal of any kind.

Deftones used to be classed as nu metal, but their past 2 albums have been pretty far removed from that genre and Saturday Night Wrist in perticular was pretty brutal in places.

Slipknot I have never placed in the nu metal, nu metal tends to have hip hop influcence, the Knot have clearly just heard a lot of Pantera.

I notice Glassjaw missing from your list!!! The first album is an underrated classic.

Also, try some Will Haven, again, massivly influential and very undderated.

True, Deftones mostly just got lumped in with the whole Nu Metal thing 'cos they were around at the same time. I never saw how they were, say, being compared to Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park etc. I think they properly grew out of it on White Pony, which is their best album by a freakin' mile - you can see there's much more influences brought in there from a progressive slant, and it definitely works without any pretension. As for Slipknot, you could say that they have hip hop influences through the use of a DJ, and some of the early stuff could be said to involve rap, but I still love em as metal. Their last album in particular showed they've come on leaps and bounds as songwriters from their first album, and I can't wait for the next. I am into Glassjaw, but I've only got two of their albums (they're actually the only two I'm aware of) re ripped from burned CD's after I lost all my music off my hard drive . I was just putting down the stuff I've got on my iPod. If I were to go through my iTunes, there'd be more:

The Acacia Strain, American Head Charge, Armor for Sleep, At The Drive In, Cannae, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Fantômas, Further Seems Forever, Glassjaw, Instinct Of Aggression, Invocation of Nehek, Metallica, Ministry, Nine Inch Nails, A Perfect Circle, Rage Against the Machine, Spit (N), System of a Down, Thursday, 30 Seconds to Mars....

If you're on Facebook, download the iLike toolbar for your choice of Media Player. It'll give you really good recommendations of music based on what you're listening to.

Oh yeah, and what's wrong with Avenged Sevenfold?

Ok, saying that they arnt metal is a bit extreme.... Fair enough if you like them, but they are definetly not for me.......

I think its mainly becasue they used to be a pretty heavy hardcore band, then, like Eighteen Visions, saw the money and just changed everything about them to fit that awful glam-rock-sleaze metal look that seemed to be a big thing a few years back.

American Head Charge!!! They are actualy one of my favorite metal bands. The first album is so fucking heavy in places....the 2nd album i couldnt get inot quite as much. Its just not as nasty sounding.....not as much groove to the riffs.

http://flavors.me/gavweir

(in reply to Spengler)
Post #: 37
RE: Anyone into metal here? - 16/7/2008 9:18:10 AM   
Manchurian candidate

Amy MacDonald is good if you want extreme metalcore.

"Ford's economics are the worst thing that's happened to this country since pantyhose ruined finger-fucking."
Lyndon B. Johnson
"British Beatitudes! … Beer, beef, business, bibles, bulldogs, battleships, buggery and bishops"
-Ulysses, By James Joyce
"Rose McGowan is a fucking clown"
-Harry Lime
"Who's Keith"
- Rhubarb

(in reply to boys_dont_cry)
Post #: 38
RE: Anyone into metal here? - 16/7/2008 10:45:13 AM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

Now I don't want to pigeonhole here, but what I'm talking about would probably be called 'metalcore' in the current climate. I'll give some bands as an example:

3 Inches Of Blood, Alexisonfire, All That Remains, As I Lay Dying, Atreyu, Avenged Sevenfold, Beloved, The Bled, Boy Sets Fire, Bullet For My Valentine, Chevelle, Dead Poetic, Deftones, Djevara, The Esoteric, Every Time I Die, Fightstar, Finch, From First To Last, Funeral For A Friend, Hawthorne Heights, Hell Is For Heroes, Hopesfall, In Flames, Mastodon, Mendeed, Norma Jean, Poison The Well, Reuben, Rise Against, Saosin, Silverstein, Slipknot, Thrice, Tool, Trivium, Underoath, The Used, Zao.

I'm aware that there are some that fall into the 'hardcore' bracket, and Slipknot and Deftones are technically nu metal, but it's all just there as an example.

Any takers? Any suggestions to broaden and improve my already long musical horizons in this respect?

I love the first finch album. I really like Lacuna Coil as well do they count as metal.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to Spengler)
Post #: 39
RE: Anyone into metal here? - 16/7/2008 1:08:25 PM   
paul.mccluskey

I forgot to add Queens of the Stone Age.  They are brilliant, Songs for the Deaf is still their best album.

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 40
RE: Anyone into metal here? - 16/7/2008 7:01:23 PM   
bubs

I wouldn't really consider QOTSA as metal.

"Shake it once, shake it twice! A' give me a little bit of sugar spice!"- Bubs

Forza Juve

"Who Watches The Watchmen?"

"I'm Learnding"

Top 5 Favourite Albums:

1. Kid A - Radiohead
2. Spiderland - Slint
3. Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven - Godspeed You! Black Emperor
4. Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin
5. Laughing Stock - Talk Talk

My DVD's: http://perrin-bubs-f-rch.dvdaf.com/owned

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 41
RE: Anyone into metal here? - 17/7/2008 9:15:53 AM   
boys_dont_cry

quote:

I wouldn't really consider QOTSA as metal.

Naa, more stoner rock.

Im sure Pantera havnt been mentioned yet....

(in reply to bubs)
Post #: 42
RE: Anyone into metal here? - 17/7/2008 9:47:22 AM   
Fanboyslayer

quote:

ORIGINAL: *emz6*

quote:

quote:

i love Funeral for a Friend.

Get out.

i know some people have a perception of them being emo or whatever but i think many would agree their last album was very good. At they arent emo or any of that bollocks at all.

Hey whats wrong with emo!  It used to be good you know before you kids got your hands on it. Once upon a time it included Fugazi, Bluetip, Sunny Day Real Estate, Texas is the Reason, Minor Threat, Kids Near Water and so on not this eyeliner wearing shoes gazing horse shit like Panic at the Disco. Why I oughta...

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

(in reply to *emz6*)
Post #: 43
RE: Anyone into metal here? - 17/7/2008 1:45:24 PM   
boys_dont_cry

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fanboyslayer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Get out.

i know some people have a perception of them being emo or whatever but i think many would agree their last album was very good. At they arent emo or any of that bollocks at all.

Hey whats wrong with emo!  It used to be good you know before you kids got your hands on it. Once upon a time it included Fugazi, Bluetip, Sunny Day Real Estate, Texas is the Reason, Minor Threat, Kids Near Water and so on not this eyeliner wearing shoes gazing horse shit like Panic at the Disco. Why I oughta...

Nothing wrong with ACTUAL emo, like you say.....its all the watered down crap that masquerades as emo nowdays......dont forget Get Up Kids!

(in reply to Fanboyslayer)
Post #: 44
RE: Anyone into metal here? - 17/7/2008 7:05:06 PM   
Swoz_MK

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Get out.

Minor Threat?! Emo?! haha.

Post #: 45
RE: Anyone into metal here? - 17/7/2008 7:33:21 PM   
Baby Bear

Er, I thought I did until I read your lists, people.

I'm kind of stuck in the rock mode more than the thrashy/GWAR/industrial stuff.

Suicidal Tendancies, QOTSA, Rage,Manson, Korn,  Metallica.......but then add to my list Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Sabs, AC/DC, Tesla, Maiden, and a whole load of rock/metal bands from the 70's to the 90's.

Why does metal have to be separately defined nowadays?

Loud and pumping is loud and pumping...........

" At least he was asleep when I hit him with the shovel......." Moses Lawn. RIP

Has tin foil hat issues ( thanks Woger...love it )

Felix: "Poor guy. They must be like space hoppers by now."

lympo :
I have no idea how the idea came about! one moment I was eating turkey, the next i was on all fours

Daz : Get. A fucking. Room.

(in reply to Swoz_MK)
Post #: 46
RE: Anyone into metal here? - 17/7/2008 7:39:51 PM   
matthewforan

Nothing wrong with a bit of Panic! in my book. Very good live, i've got to say.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Baby Bear)
Post #: 47
RE: Anyone into metal here? - 18/7/2008 12:35:59 PM   
tftrman

Baroness, Crowpath, Cancer Bats, Converge, Daughters, Curl Up And Die, Down I Go, Every Time I Die, Genghis Tron, Harkonen, Johnny Truant, Kylesa, A Life Once Lost, Phoenix Bodies, She Said Destroy, Will Haven.

Just a few good metal/hardcore bands.

Not sure I'd class Glassjaw as metal but they rule all. I hope we get a new album from them this year.

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 48
RE: Anyone into metal here? - 18/7/2008 2:46:01 PM   
Peter Griffin

quote:

ORIGINAL: tftrman

Baroness, Crowpath, Cancer Bats, Converge, Daughters, Curl Up And Die, Down I Go, Every Time I Die, Genghis Tron, Harkonen, Johnny Truant, Kylesa, A Life Once Lost, Phoenix Bodies, She Said Destroy, Will Haven.

Just a few good metal/hardcore bands.

Not sure I'd class Glassjaw as metal but they rule all. I hope we get a new album from them this year.

YES!!!

"No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough."

"Me and Pete Griffin would make a beautiful Dead Space ass kicking baby."

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 49
RE: Anyone into metal here? - 18/7/2008 6:47:43 PM   
Swoz_MK

quote:

ORIGINAL: tftrman

Baroness

Great band

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 50
RE: Anyone into metal here? - 21/7/2008 2:33:09 PM   
Fanboyslayer

quote:

Well they get lumped in there with the other guys I think mainly due to the whole link with straight edge although really are to heavy to be in there. Difficult act to put in anywhere else though as they were one of the orignators. You could say hardcore but I never really went with that term and then of course you have all the post hardcore bs.

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

(in reply to Swoz_MK)
Post #: 51
RE: Anyone into metal here? - 21/7/2008 2:35:45 PM   
Fanboyslayer

quote:

ORIGINAL: matthewforan

Nothing wrong with a bit of Panic! in my book. Very good live, i've got to say.

I saw them at Astoria a few years back. too many screaming girls for my likeing. They seemed okay but I left half way through as all the screaming and people playing the gig down phones to mates got annoying. 

< Message edited by Fanboyslayer -- 21/7/2008 2:40:56 PM >

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 52
RE: Anyone into metal here? - 21/7/2008 4:17:31 PM   
Swoz_MK

quote:

quote:

Well they get lumped in there with the other guys I think mainly due to the whole link with straight edge although really are to heavy to be in there. Difficult act to put in anywhere else though as they were one of the orignators. You could say hardcore but I never really went with that term and then of course you have all the post hardcore bs.

More than just a link to sXe, they coined the phrase.
They were just straight-up Hardcore, you kind of have to go with the term.

Post #: 53
RE: Anyone into metal here? - 21/7/2008 4:48:06 PM   
Fanboyslayer

quote:

quote:

More than just a link to sXe, they coined the phrase.
They were just straight-up Hardcore, you kind of have to go with the term.

I always thought they just got lumped in with starting the whole straight edge thing just because some people took their lyrics to heart a bit. I'm sure your right though I never really had a lot of time for the whole x on the hands straight edge scene. I guess they were straight up hardcore I just always thought all that stuff was just punk to be honest but I suppose hardcore is a more appropriate term although I always associated it with dance music. Ahh genres such a mine field.

(in reply to Swoz_MK)
Post #: 54
RE: Anyone into metal here? - 24/7/2008 2:39:53 PM   
Skiba

quote:

Now I don't want to pigeonhole here, but what I'm talking about would probably be called 'metalcore' in the current climate. I'll give some bands as an example:

3 Inches Of Blood, Alexisonfire, All That Remains, As I Lay Dying, Atreyu, Avenged Sevenfold, Beloved, The Bled, Boy Sets Fire, Bullet For My Valentine, Chevelle, Dead Poetic, Deftones, Djevara, The Esoteric, Every Time I Die, Fightstar, Finch, From First To Last, Funeral For A Friend, Hawthorne Heights, Hell Is For Heroes, Hopesfall, In Flames, Mastodon, Mendeed, Norma Jean, Poison The Well, Reuben, Rise Against, Saosin, Silverstein, Slipknot, Thrice, Tool, Trivium, Underoath, The Used, Zao.

I'm aware that there are some that fall into the 'hardcore' bracket, and Slipknot and Deftones are technically nu metal, but it's all just there as an example.

Any takers? Any suggestions to broaden and improve my already long musical horizons in this respect?

Those are the bands that are in my collection and some I love dearly such as Reuben who I’m still rather cut up about at the moment

Funeral For A Friend do seem to come in for a lot of stick and I don’t really know why…the last album is my least favourite but from the two songs I’ve heard from their new stuff it sounds like they are going back to the heavier sound of Casually Dressed…

I’m not ashamed to say that the first Fightstar album is one of my favourite albums ever…it just fucking rocks!  Heavy, melodic, emotional it’s just a fantastic rock album.  The Used's first album again one of my favourites as above

Was a bit disappointed with Thrice's Alchemy Volumes but I love Artist In The Ambulance...and here's hoping that Hell Is For Heroes eventually release something new

Some newish Bristish metalcore stuff I would recommend checking out are Exit 10 and Bury Tomorrow...and also InMe whilst not really metal there last album Daydream Anonymous is phenomenal

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to Spengler)
Post #: 55
RE: Anyone into metal here? - 1/8/2008 11:45:05 PM   
wackojacko

I may be biased but Iron Maiden are simply the greatest heavy metal band on the planet. Machine Head are awesome too and both bands are amazing live. Try a bit of Lamb of God to damage your ears.

The Haunted made me do it

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 56
RE: Anyone into metal here? - 3/9/2011 5:59:15 PM   
Spaldron

Machine Head's new album Unto The Locust is out this month. Any thoughts on how it will do compared to The Blackening? Also anyone going to see them with DevilDriver this winter?

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to wackojacko)
Post #: 57
RE: Anyone into metal here? - 3/9/2011 9:22:00 PM   
horribleives

The Blackening was a fucking amazing return to form so I'm quite intrigued to hear the new 'un.
The best metal (ish) album I've heard this year is Ascension by Jesu, possibly the saddest, most emotionally devastating record I've ever heard.
Quite excited about the Wolves In The Throne Room newie too

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 58
RE: Anyone into metal here? - 4/9/2011 3:17:53 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

The Blackening was a fucking amazing return to form so I'm quite intrigued to hear the new 'un.
The best metal (ish) album I've heard this year is Ascension by Jesu, possibly the saddest, most emotionally devastating record I've ever heard.
Quite excited about the Wolves In The Throne Room newie too

Scar Symmetry's new one was pretty good, as was Children of Bodom''s . Looking forward to hearing Nightrage's new album.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 59
RE: Anyone into metal here? - 4/9/2011 8:19:39 AM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

Only Opeth.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Anyone into metal here? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI