Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: American Werewolf in London..best Werewolf movie?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: American Werewolf in London..best Werewolf movie? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: American Werewolf in London..best Werewolf movie? - 28/9/2009 12:25:11 AM   
DazDaMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

Not really American Werewolf-related but FX God Rick Baker recently created this 'real' Popeye!

Fuck me, that's scary!

Ooh, I've just remembered something! I went to Blackpool some years ago (I was just about in high school, I think) and I remember there being a Madame Tussauds-stylee museum there that was more a collection of horror movie waxworks than anything else...

...and I SWEAR the actual werewolf from An American Werewolf... was there!

I found this pic of the restored artefact, and I'm sure that's how I remember it!

It was sitting on the floor, and I remember my mum pointing it out to me - and I shat a fucking house!

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 31
RE: American Werewolf in London..best Werewolf movie? - 28/9/2009 6:08:27 AM   
Snake-Eyes

That's Awesome!

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 32
RE: American Werewolf in London..best Werewolf movie? - 28/9/2009 10:56:08 AM   
JIm R

I think the 40's Wolf Man is a classic which still stands up today (the up coming re-make has a lot to live upto), the problem I have with the Howling is the twist can be seen from the start, the revelation is presented too clearly and the set up predictable but getting there is a lot of fun.

American Werewolf in London is simply a great fim on all levels, and leaves you wondering where it it go next with it's mix of horror and laughs and when funny it's hilarious and when scarey it's terrifying and combines both so well, as well as any in either genre IMO.

For most of us, it would appear to be our first introduction to horror when too young to watch them, this along with The Shining were watched when around 10 in the mid 80's on VHS or television and at that point just blew my mind as to how frightening a film could be, and it stands up today with any contemporary horror.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 33
RE: American Werewolf in London..best Werewolf movie? - 30/9/2009 8:58:48 PM   
Tallscreen

The hospital where David's room was filmed is/was derelict, and is either about to be or has recently been demolished. I was thinking of seeing if I could get inside and having a look before it goes forever.

UK Movie Locations:
http://www.ukonscreen.com

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 34
RE: American Werewolf in London..best Werewolf movie? - 20/12/2009 7:56:28 PM   
Sutty

I would say it is a toss up between this and the howling. American Werewolf pips it for me though. I LOVE IT!!!!

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to kdawg)
Post #: 35
RE: American Werewolf in London..best Werewolf movie? - 20/12/2009 9:43:57 PM   
DazDaMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

I think the 40's Wolf Man is a classic which still stands up today

Indeed. And I always thought Evelyn Ankers was hot!

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 36
RE: American Werewolf in London..best Werewolf movie? - 20/12/2009 10:11:48 PM   
Virgil Brigman

Best warewolf movie ever? Of course, plus it kickstarted my interest in both Jenny Agutter and nurses uniforms.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attackships on fire of the shoulder of Orion. I've seen c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tenhauser gate. All those moments will be lost, in time, like tears in rain. Time to Die.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 37
RE: American Werewolf in London..best Werewolf movie? - 21/12/2009 9:03:21 PM   
Rob_S

Easily. But The Howling, The Wolf Man, The Company Of Wolves, Curse Of The Werewolf and Ginger Snaps are all well worth a mention. 

I'm also very fond of Wolf, the understated Nicholson/Pfeiffer/Spader vehicle - wry, with an unusual tone and pace for a werewolf film (well, it is a satire at heart).

< Message edited by Rob_S -- 21/12/2009 9:04:46 PM >

(in reply to Virgil Brigman)
Post #: 38
RE: American Werewolf in London..best Werewolf movie? - 12/2/2010 7:32:29 PM   
Snake-Eyes

I was watching this one on blu-ray just last night - looks great! a true classic, never gets dull.

(in reply to Rob_S)
Post #: 39
RE: American Werewolf in London..best Werewolf movie? - 12/2/2010 7:53:19 PM   
Snake-Eyes

"Have you ever talked to a corpse? It's BORING!"

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 40
RE: American Werewolf in London..best Werewolf movie? - 13/2/2010 1:44:37 PM   
horribleives

Not just the best werewolf film, it's also the only scary one. I love The Howling but it never put the shits up me the way AAWIL did. Though I'm always a tad disappointed at the look of the creature when fully transformed - it looks far more frightening in the iconic midway shot that was on the box cover and made the 6 year old me terrified to go anywhere near the video section in Mr Ram's Multi-mart.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 41
RE: American Werewolf in London..best Werewolf movie? - 14/2/2010 10:08:25 PM   
DazDaMan

Still a great movie. I've not watched it in a while, but did recently watch the 1941 original of The Wolf Man. John Landis narrates the documentary on the making of the film.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 42
RE: American Werewolf in London..best Werewolf movie? - 9/6/2010 11:44:53 PM   
DazDaMan

Well, I watched the remake of The Wolfman last night, and....

I actually enjoyed it!

Read a lot of negativity on these boards about it, but I kinda knew what to expect with it. Once the killing started in the gypsy camp, I just threw all bad vibes out the window and thought "Man, this could actually just be FUN!"

And that's what it was - some nice, all-round gory fun! I laughed like a twat at the shot where the Wolfman rips off the bloke's arm and throws it at him!

Sure, it's not as good as the original, but then the tone of the two is very different (and I don't think Emily Blunt is anywhere near as hot as Evelyn Ankers....!)

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 43
RE: American Werewolf in London..best Werewolf movie? - 12/6/2010 12:02:38 PM   
HughesRoss

The Wolfman was exactly that........fun! More in the vein of the Mummy films (with more gore) than the old Unviersal classics....

I am shocked that no one mentions Ginger Snaps has one of the best of the genre, I totally love that movie and its sequel, two very underrated gems that have been released over the last few years

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 44
RE: American Werewolf in London..best Werewolf movie? - 12/6/2010 7:17:02 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

The Howling just wins it for me but AWIL is fantastic also. The latter would get the award for having the best and scariest nightmare sequences put to film. As HR mentioned Ginger Snaps, Wolfen,  The Company of Wolves and The Wolfman (original) were all very good also.

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 45
RE: American Werewolf in London..best Werewolf movie? - 12/6/2010 7:17:53 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

The Howling just wins it for me but AWIL is fantastic also. The latter would get the award for having the best and scariest nightmare sequences put to film. As HR mentioned Ginger Snaps, Wolfen,  The Company of Wolves and The Wolfman (original) were all very good also

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 46
RE: American Werewolf in London..best Werewolf movie? - 12/6/2010 11:40:10 PM   
HughesRoss

I honestly can not remember if I have seen Wolfen  Old age see

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

(in reply to DAVID GILLESPIE)
Post #: 47
RE: American Werewolf in London..best Werewolf movie? - 27/8/2010 9:19:16 PM   
Snake-Eyes

Cool little tribute site - http://www.westnet.freeuk.com/werewolf/index.htm

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 48
AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON - 7/10/2011 8:22:32 PM   
Snake-Eyes

Re-watching right now! Great Film.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 49
RE: AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON - 8/10/2011 9:41:53 AM   
Herr Schnitzel

American Werewolf in London is my favourite werewolf film, followed closely by The Howling, which I think actually has cooler werewolves. Never was too sure about Rick Baker's pig/dog thing. Still, the mix of comedy, horror and romance in American Werewolf is unbeatable, it's a real one-of-a-kind film.

Thinking slightly outside the box, Cat People is a female variation on the werewolf myth and the original film from the 40s is anther one of my all time favourite films. It may even beat the Landis pic for me. It's certainly a much superior film to the Lon Chaney Jr classic The Wolf Man. I like the sequel Curse of the Cat People just as much, thought that shifts horror genres from 'werecat' to ghost story. The Paul Schrader remake of Cat People, though flawed, is an interesting film in its own right.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 50
AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON - 10/11/2011 7:55:21 PM   
Snake-Eyes

Just watched AMERICAN WEREWOLF again - Great Fun! Now, some fans may already know but Michael Carter who plays' the London Underground victim 'Gerald Bringsley'...

...was also 'Bib Fortuna' in RETURN OF THE JEDI!

(in reply to Herr Schnitzel)
Post #: 51
RE: American Werewolf in London..best Werewolf movie? - 10/11/2011 9:03:50 PM   
kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: HughesRoss

The Wolfman was exactly that........fun! More in the vein of the Mummy films (with more gore) than the old Unviersal classics....

I am shocked that no one mentions Ginger Snaps has one of the best of the genre, I totally love that movie and its sequel, two very underrated gems that have been released over the last few years

Fun?! I thought it was all round grim, but I still really enjoyed it.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 52
RE: American Werewolf in London..best Werewolf movie? - 27/11/2011 4:33:47 PM   
DazDaMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: HughesRoss

Fun?! I thought it was all round grim, but I still really enjoyed it.

It really is a bit of a guilty pleasure, but it's infinitely better than Van Helsing (which, of course, was based around the original trio of Universal Studios monsters).

But, as I said before, Emily Blunt is no Evelyn Ankers!

Ginger Snaps is a great film, but the reveal of the werewolf is a bit of a let-down. The sequels themselves weren't too shabby, either.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 53
AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON - 2/12/2011 7:51:56 PM   
Snake-Eyes

Just re-watching the blu-ray extras - Rick Baker is the Man! A true creative genius with a passion for his craft. F**k Universal for pu$$ying out with 2009's 'The Wolfman' and going with the kack CGI!

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 54
RE: American Werewolf in London..best Werewolf movie? - 8/12/2011 11:10:05 PM   
ArkadyKasei

Undoubtedly the best Werewolf movie of all time.
And Jenny Agutter in the shower......I hadn't been so excited since Walkabout with Jenny in the billabong.

Chicken hon-a-chick-a-chick hole-a-hubba
Hey fried chuck-a-lucka wanna jubba

Post #: 55
RE: American Werewolf in London..best Werewolf movie? - 22/4/2012 10:37:25 PM   
DazDaMan

I caught The Howling Reborn last week. Jesus H Christ....

(in reply to ArkadyKasei)
Post #: 56
RE: American Werewolf in London..best Werewolf movie? - 23/4/2012 9:02:04 AM   
NCC1701A

quote:

ORIGINAL: DazDaMan

I caught The Howling Reborn last week. Jesus H Christ....

Give this a miss did not like the look of the  trailer. 

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 57
RE: American Werewolf in London..best Werewolf movie? - 23/4/2012 5:54:25 PM   
DazDaMan

Yeah, it's dire...

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 58
RE: American Werewolf in London..best Werewolf movie? - 25/4/2012 9:12:24 PM   
Woger

Hardly worse than The Marsupials.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

Post #: 59
RE: American Werewolf in London..best Werewolf movie? - 25/4/2012 9:19:48 PM   
DazDaMan

I dunno about that...!

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: American Werewolf in London..best Werewolf movie? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI