Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Left 4 Dead

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Left 4 Dead Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Left 4 Dead - 23/12/2008 9:20:24 AM   
Y2Neildotcom

Love this game, very short which is annoying but great fun with friends...but you must play on the hardest setting. It makes it so much more challenging knowing one bite is going to put you down!

Game of the year?

| www.y2neil.com |

"You kill or you die. Or you die then you kill".

"Your B.F's about to get F'd in the B!"

(in reply to Scabby)
Post #: 91
RE: Left 4 Dead - 23/12/2008 10:44:20 AM   
BigKovacs

Good game but not game of the year by a long shot, it's actually a bit of a disappointment. With only 4 maps (2 playable in Verus which is insane) and a few weapons it's actually a very shallow offering. I know it's purely MP based but without even a hint of narrative it makes the maps disjointed and removes any personal investment in the characters survival.

I still say it's a good game as it achieved what Valve set out to do however it's not a finished package and is not worth it's price tag. If it was part of an Orange Box style package I'd be singing a very different tune though!

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to Y2Neildotcom)
Post #: 92
RE: Left 4 Dead - 23/12/2008 12:35:40 PM   
Mozza

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigKovacs

Good game but not game of the year by a long shot, it's actually a bit of a disappointment. With only 4 maps (2 playable in Verus which is insane) and a few weapons it's actually a very shallow offering. I know it's purely MP based but without even a hint of narrative it makes the maps disjointed and removes any personal investment in the characters survival.

I still say it's a good game as it achieved what Valve set out to do however it's not a finished package and is not worth it's price tag. If it was part of an Orange Box style package I'd be singing a very different tune though!

4 Levels, each with 5 maps.

I'd say it was worth every penny, if only for the fact that shooting zombies in the face with a shotgun never gets old.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Clownfoot

I have nothing to add. Mozza rules...

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 93
RE: Left 4 Dead - 23/12/2008 1:01:30 PM   
BigKovacs

Okay 4 levels but it's still very poor value for money and the fact that you can only play 2 in Versus is insane. Hate to say it but this game did get boring quickly.

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 94
RE: Left 4 Dead - 23/12/2008 3:47:53 PM   
the anomaly

Still £40 everywhere too! You can pick up all the big releases from £17.99 or so yet this is still pretty much full price. I am still waiting to get it. Hopefully there is some new content by the time I get it too. Team Fortress 2 only got big updates for the PC and I hope it is not the same with this too.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 95
RE: Left 4 Dead - 7/1/2009 6:21:02 PM   
xim123

Finally gave in and ordered L4D at full price which means that the price will almost certainly drop everywhere else as soon as my copy is despatched.  

My Film Diary

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 96
RE: Left 4 Dead - 7/1/2009 6:28:43 PM   
James2183

Does anyone else enjoy being the infected more than the survivors? I find no greater pleasure than hiding around a corner and unleashing a stomach full of sick over the survivors as a Boomer 

If only you could play as the Witch.

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to xim123)
Post #: 97
RE: Left 4 Dead - 7/1/2009 8:35:08 PM   
musewitch

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

Does anyone else enjoy being the infected more than the survivors? I find no greater pleasure than hiding around a corner and unleashing a stomach full of sick over the survivors as a Boomer 

I do.

Sometimes when I'm really kicking ass and enjoying being an infected it feels like a real drag when I come to be a survivor. Saying that tho as soon as I've shot a few zombie's heads off with the shotgun it doesn't feel like such a drag anymore!

I do wish I didn't spawn so much as a hunter tho, boomers and smokers ftw

Can't look Can't look

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 98
RE: Left 4 Dead - 7/1/2009 9:01:49 PM   
James2183

I don't like being the hunter either as I always miss with the jumps and end up getting clocked quickly. 

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to musewitch)
Post #: 99
RE: Left 4 Dead - 7/1/2009 10:52:23 PM   
musewitch

Yeah I know same here, it can be really annoying. Hunters are a great way of racking up points if you get a survivor break away from the group, but if they are sticking together consistently its a pain in the arse because you get killed quickly.

I try to jump in after a boomer has attacked and all hell is breaking loose!

Not sure about playing as the witch, you'd spend half the time sat on the floor waiting for someone to startle you?

Can't look Can't look

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 100
RE: Left 4 Dead - 8/1/2009 8:19:11 AM   
borstal

Maybe they should have allowed the weakest zombie class to place witches?

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to musewitch)
Post #: 101
RE: Left 4 Dead - 8/1/2009 8:22:41 AM   
borstal

I played co-op with a friend last week for about 5 hours and can honestly say it was one of the greatest nights gaming Ive ever had. We are both zombie geeks which helps but as it was mostly new experiences for us it was so much fun. The subtle changes the director ai makes really add to the game. We attempted to get to the end of one of the levels a few times then suddenly it slapped a tank right at the begining that had us screaming like girls for help.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 102
RE: Left 4 Dead - 8/1/2009 8:48:45 AM   
Diggler

I've got this. If we could get 8 of us together from Empire for a gamer night I'd be up for it. Nothing worse than playing with 3 people who like to run off when playing as the survivors. As soon as they're out of sight you know you're going to get pinned.

I agree playing at the zombie's is much more fun. Just waiting out of sight for one of them to break from the pack and you pounce! Great fun.

"Hey Ron, I'm riding a furry tractor"

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 103
RE: Left 4 Dead - 8/1/2009 8:52:12 AM   
DJ Satan

Has anyone gone through the first level with the commentary turned on? There's some interesting things in there about trying to get the balance in the game and the evolution of the zombies. Some of the comments about the lighting and sond design is a little bit dry but I found most of it enlightning.

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to Diggler)
Post #: 104
RE: Left 4 Dead - 8/1/2009 10:26:44 AM   
BigKovacs

Valve usually give good commentry, Portal's commentry is very interesting and is a mini master class in game design.

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 105
RE: Left 4 Dead - 8/1/2009 10:28:41 AM   
BigKovacs

quote:

I think it depends on your team, much like if you're the survivors. If you have good support it's a hoot being infected but the 20 or 30 second down time sucks, they should let you take control of drone zombies in the mean time.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 106
RE: Left 4 Dead - 8/1/2009 2:33:25 PM   
James2183

Does anyone know why you can only play Versus on two of the four campaigns? Or do I have to unlock certain achievements first in order to play them? 

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 107
RE: Left 4 Dead - 8/1/2009 2:35:08 PM   
Jim

It's just the way it is for now. They're releasing Versus on the other two campaigns soon as part of their first major TF2-style update.

"Oh shit, swamp leeches! Everybody! Check for swamp leeches and pull them off! ...nobody else got hit? I'm the only one? What's the deal?"

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 108
RE: Left 4 Dead - 8/1/2009 2:35:20 PM   
DJ Satan

quote:

Does anyone know why you can only play Versus on two of the four campaigns? Or do I have to unlock certain achievements first in order to play them? 

I think it was just limited that way.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 109
RE: Left 4 Dead - 8/1/2009 2:41:35 PM   
James2183

Cool, I'd love to play Dead Air on versus that's all. 

Of course I would rather have the new TF2 character update first.

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 110
RE: Left 4 Dead - 8/1/2009 3:00:34 PM   
Mozza

Hopefully the DLC will give us more Vs maps.

quote:

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 111
RE: Left 4 Dead - 8/1/2009 3:12:55 PM   
James2183

I'd really like to see maps from iconic zombie films where instead of merely trying to make it through a level you have to hold out for as long as possible as wave upon wave of zombie hordes attack you.

For example you could have the house from NotLD, the shopping centre from DotD and even The Winchester from SotD

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 112
RE: Left 4 Dead - 8/1/2009 3:19:12 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

I'd really like to see maps from iconic zombie films where instead of merely trying to make it through a level you have to hold out for as long as possible as wave upon wave of zombie hordes attack you.

For example you could have the house from NotLD, the shopping centre from DotD and even The Winchester from SotD

Chuck in Manchester Morgue and the crazy doc's island from Zombie Flesh Eaters

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 113
RE: Left 4 Dead - 8/1/2009 3:23:22 PM   
igotnewlegs

And the Big Brother house...

Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon.
Woody Allen

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Douglas Adams

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 114
RE: Left 4 Dead - 8/1/2009 3:23:44 PM   
DJ Satan

quote:

I would like to see a full size city GTA style. In the commentary they said this was their original intention but it playtest most gamers just used the same route all the time. So they changed it to linear lever and introduced crescendo events instead.

I'd still like to see a full city with lots of different route options.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 115
RE: Left 4 Dead - 8/1/2009 3:35:23 PM   
James2183

How big was the original city? That would certainly have been something to play if you had the freedom of the city.

A few more characters on either side of the teams wouldn't go amiss either.

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 116
RE: Left 4 Dead - 8/1/2009 4:13:18 PM   
DJ Satan

quote:

How big was the original city? That would certainly have been something to play if you had the freedom of the city.

A few more characters on either side of the teams wouldn't go amiss either.

No idea how big the city was.

Six v six could be fun but more than that would be unruly.

As I mentioned before the commentary is worth listening to. Some of these ideas are good but often the worst thing you can do is give the players what they want.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 117
RE: Left 4 Dead - 8/1/2009 4:19:53 PM   
BigKovacs

I'd like more options too, the 4 maps arn't enough and the linear nature of them gets old too fast. When I first heard of this I was hoping for Vegas style customizable characters with various classes, weapons, kit etc and the maps had a bit of variation to them. L4D's a good game and it's undoubtably a success but I think it could have been so much more.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 118
RE: Left 4 Dead - 8/1/2009 4:26:50 PM   
Mozza

For PC users:

Is there a modding community at all? You'd think that this would be a great opportunity for custom mappers.

quote:

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 119
RE: Left 4 Dead - 8/1/2009 5:18:10 PM   
BigKovacs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mozza

For PC users:

Is there a modding community at all? You'd think that this would be a great opportunity for custom mappers.

There is and there's a map and weapons for a Shaun of the Dead game. It's called Left 4 Winchester or something, if I find the site I'll post it.

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Left 4 Dead Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI