Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Left 4 Dead

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Left 4 Dead Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Left 4 Dead - 14/11/2008 7:37:44 PM   
juanvasquez

Just played the demo. Its insane. Loved it and scared the crap out of me too!

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 61
RE: Left 4 Dead - 15/11/2008 1:25:06 AM   
Jim

I find that Hunters are by far the most annoying of the normal Bosses (ie. not including the Tank or Witch). Boomers are pretty easy to take out unless they surprise you around a corner and Smokers take a moment before they incapacitate you, so they're offed either by your or your team quite quickly. Hordes are just fun, if you can get to a corner. Hunters, though, man. I'm pretty sure you can swat them away mid-leap with a melee attack but you need to see them first, let alone time it right.

A question regarding the Witch, though - will she only attack someone if you attack her? Someone in my party disturbed her and was swiftly killed, but I held back from shooting and she just ran away.

< Message edited by Jim -- 15/11/2008 1:29:39 AM >

"Oh shit, swamp leeches! Everybody! Check for swamp leeches and pull them off! ...nobody else got hit? I'm the only one? What's the deal?"

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 62
RE: Left 4 Dead - 15/11/2008 12:48:34 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim

I find that Hunters are by far the most annoying of the normal Bosses (ie. not including the Tank or Witch). Boomers are pretty easy to take out unless they surprise you around a corner and Smokers take a moment before they incapacitate you, so they're offed either by your or your team quite quickly. Hordes are just fun, if you can get to a corner. Hunters, though, man. I'm pretty sure you can swat them away mid-leap with a melee attack but you need to see them first, let alone time it right.

A question regarding the Witch, though - will she only attack someone if you attack her? Someone in my party disturbed her and was swiftly killed, but I held back from shooting and she just ran away.

Yeah I am pretty sure the witches only really attack (and most of the time kill) the person who disturbed them. Despite the negatives I raised I was hardly dismissing the game completely with my comments. I enjoyed it. I just expected a different take on the whole thing and don't really feel like the game breaks any new ground. But over all I enjoyed it and I will be giving it a go. It's just there are other games now I feel I would want to but first.

I have played it a few times now. Playing with other random people at times has not been too bad. I think it's still best to play with at least one person you know so you can have each others back though. I have experienced the negative side of the game...making one last dash for the last saftey room...Yeti thought the best thing to do would be to shut the door on me...I was promptly attack by a smoker...my rescue consisted of DJ Satan and Yeti's cackles of glee at my demise...

(in reply to Jim)
Post #: 63
RE: Left 4 Dead - 16/11/2008 6:32:00 PM   
Jim

I bought it through Steam, and have just finished pre-loading. When it's released on Tuesday at 12:01am Valve time (Bellevue, Washington), or 8:01am UK time, the files I have will just unlock and I'll be playing it straight away!

I had ordered through Amazon but cancelled when they said it would be a minimum 8-day wait to get it. It was only £8 less, I figured it wasn't worth it.

"Oh shit, swamp leeches! Everybody! Check for swamp leeches and pull them off! ...nobody else got hit? I'm the only one? What's the deal?"

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 64
RE: Left 4 Dead - 19/11/2008 12:09:22 AM   
Jim

Right, anyone else got the full version now? If you bought through Steam it unlocked this morning.

The full game is so much better than the demo, and I liked the demo! The demo was short, it felt almost like a mini-game, a side-game, in the same vein as Portal to the Orange Box. This does not. I've only played the full No Mercy campaign (that was in the demo), and the campaign at the airport, Dead Air. It's brilliant, the co-op play is second-to-none. It's so much harder, does anyone agree? I played No Mercy on Advanced (when I was happily playing the demo on Expert) and it took me a good 2 hours, and several attempts for the finale. Dead Air also took about 2 and a half hours, on Normal.

I was getting some crazy lag though, in every server. It took me a little while to find a good one. I've also only dabbled in the Versus mode, first impressions are that it takes some getting used to! You really have to sneak up on the Survivors and try and combine attacks (Boomer draws a Horde to distract everyone, then a Smoker pulls one away while a Hunter jumps on another, for example), otherwise they just kill you.

(in reply to Jim)
Post #: 65
RE: Left 4 Dead - 19/11/2008 2:07:36 PM   
dark_exodus

I played the demo a few days ago and it was good fun, but I don't think this will have lasting appeal. Aren't there only like 4 scenarios that last 30mins each.

Mirrors Edge gets slammed for being only 6-8 hours long, but everyone seems to be ok with this being 2 hours long

Watched at the Cinema Recently
The Town 4/5
Buried 4/5

www.gameshideout.co.uk

(in reply to Jim)
Post #: 66
RE: Left 4 Dead - 19/11/2008 2:49:23 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: dark_exodus

I played the demo a few days ago and it was good fun, but I don't think this will have lasting appeal. Aren't there only like 4 scenarios that last 30mins each.

Mirrors Edge gets slammed for being only 6-8 hours long, but everyone seems to be ok with this being 2 hours long

Left 4 Dead is a more social offering for one. Multiplayer and Co-op mode. Also I am pretty sure the game is not 2 hours long. Reviews have said that each of the four scenarios last from 1-2 hours. I would guess the hard modes would take longer and from the demo and I can confirm that.  So around 8 hours or so for the Co-Op mode and till you get bored of the VS multiplayer mode.

At the end of the day it's down to the individual. Whilst I enjoyed mirrors edge demo I can't see it lasting as long for me as Left 4 Dead judging from the demos and reviews.

(in reply to dark_exodus)
Post #: 67
RE: Left 4 Dead - 19/11/2008 3:03:00 PM   
BigKovacs

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: dark_exodus

Left 4 Dead is a more social offering for one. Multiplayer and Co-op mode. Also I am pretty sure the game is not 2 hours long. Reviews have said that each of the four scenarios last from 1-2 hours. I would guess the hard modes would take longer and from the demo and I can confirm that.  So around 8 hours or so for the Co-Op mode and till you get bored of the VS multiplayer mode.

At the end of the day it's down to the individual. Whilst I enjoyed mirrors edge demo I can't see it lasting as long for me as Left 4 Dead judging from the demos and reviews.

Yeah if I remember rightly there's 4 scenarios (campaigns) broken into 5 chapters so the demo is only something like 15% of the whole game... or something like that. Then there's the versus mode as well.

Jim, what improvements did you notice?

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

Post #: 68
RE: Left 4 Dead - 19/11/2008 3:05:59 PM   
Jim

I wouldn't be surprised if reviewers played on Easy so that they could race through, see all of the game (but arguably not experience it) and write their review in time to move on to the next one. You can see why they would, but it's a shame if it leads to fears that each campaign takes only 30 minutes. They need much longer. This game shouldn't be played on anything less than Advanced.

The 2 of the 5 campaigns that I've played so far took me over 2 hours each - and the focus of this game is on wanting to replay it. Playing each campaign just once should take a good 8 hours, plus there's the Versus mode to explore.

I can appreciate the fears that it's too short and has no replay value because I thought exactly the same when I first tried the demo and was disappointed, but I couldn't have been more wrong.

Post #: 69
RE: Left 4 Dead - 21/11/2008 11:25:31 AM   
Clarence Worley

does anyone know if any of the supermarkets asda tesco etc are doing this one for £29.99?

Thanks

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven. I can't live with that.

That's what they're saying about me now? That I'm paranoid?

(in reply to Jim)
Post #: 70
RE: Left 4 Dead - 21/11/2008 11:32:22 AM   
borstal

What Clarence said

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to Clarence Worley)
Post #: 71
RE: Left 4 Dead - 22/11/2008 12:38:08 AM   
borstal

Ended up forking out £40 at the asdas, apparently Gamestation at £35 was the cheapest high st

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 72
RE: Left 4 Dead - 22/11/2008 12:57:53 AM   
Clarence Worley

How is it?

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven. I can't live with that.

That's what they're saying about me now? That I'm paranoid?

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 73
RE: Left 4 Dead - 22/11/2008 2:25:28 AM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: borstal

Ended up forking out £40 at the asdas, apparently Gamestation at £35 was the cheapest high st

Yeah everywhere I looked today was selling L4D for £39.99. So I left it in the end. Amazon have jacked up the price to £34.99 though which is pretty annoying! I should have just bought it before...well I have a lot to play at the moment so I guess it's ok I wait for a bit.

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 74
RE: Left 4 Dead - 22/11/2008 12:43:26 PM   
Jim

Had the greatest game of Versus last night. 

Me and 3 friends were together, all on mics. As the Infected we just destroyed them - even though the opposing team was fortunately quite organised, despite being all strangers. It made for a really great game, on both sides. The synchronisation was great - several times one of us would boom two or three of them, while one or two of them were also nabbed by a Hunter, and then the Smoker would catch anyone putting up too much of a fight.

Then when it was our turn as the Survivors we just charged through the level as a unit, barely stopping. In the commentary they point out that the goal of Versus isn't so much to get to the saferoom, it's simply to go farther than the other team did.

Post #: 75
RE: Left 4 Dead - 23/11/2008 10:37:31 PM   
dr. salvador

i played the twat of all twats on this game tonight.

One of the team seemed intent on purposely killing the rest of the team (obviously including myself) and finishing the level by himself. The guy succeded in killing the rest of the team and he completed the rest of the level. The fact that the guy deliberately tried to kill us really pissed me off and the rest of our team kept on reviving him despite the fact he kept on killing us when he was revived

WHAT AN ARSEHOLE!!!!!!!!!!!

(i still think the game is amazing mind )

"Say hey Johnny boy, the battle call.
United we stand, divided we fall.
Together we are what we can't be alone,
We came to this country, you made it our home."

(in reply to Jim)
Post #: 76
RE: Left 4 Dead - 24/11/2008 9:34:02 AM   
igotnewlegs

Bought this yesterday because a lot of my friends have it. Played it for 5 hours straight and couldn't sleep last night because I kept seeing zombies run at me. I'm tired.

Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon.
Woody Allen

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Douglas Adams

(in reply to dr. salvador)
Post #: 77
RE: Left 4 Dead - 24/11/2008 9:42:26 AM   
Spektre

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr. salvador

One of the team seemed intent on purposely killing the rest of the team (obviously including myself) and finishing the level by himself. The guy succeded in killing the rest of the team and he completed the rest of the level. The fact that the guy deliberately tried to kill us really pissed me off and the rest of our team kept on reviving him despite the fact he kept on killing us when he was revived

lol...isn't there a vote to kick option?

(in reply to dr. salvador)
Post #: 78
RE: Left 4 Dead - 24/11/2008 10:36:48 AM   
BigKovacs

Had a good session over the weekend. Really good game, very tense if you have the right team. I share other peoples woes, I didn't get any griiefers just retards who have no spacial concept or any kind of tactical sense. It's absolutely unbelievable how retarded some people out there are.. you CANNOT run and gun 40 zombies on your own.

Still when you get a tight team it's damn good fun, I still don't think it's worth it's £40 price tag but hopefully future DLC will be free or very, very cheap.

My tag is Cambo1979 if anyons about this week, I may get a few random nights.

(in reply to Spektre)
Post #: 79
RE: Left 4 Dead - 24/11/2008 11:48:06 AM   
igotnewlegs

Ditto to the adding. I'm New Gold Leader on live so feel free to add me. Its better to play with strangers you know have a semblance of intelligence than little american kids.

Edit. that last sentance made no sense

< Message edited by igotnewlegs -- 24/11/2008 11:53:07 AM >

Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon.
Woody Allen

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Douglas Adams

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 80
RE: Left 4 Dead - 24/11/2008 12:11:37 PM   
BigKovacs

I've played with some really good strangers last night but I always prefer to play with mates as you know you'll get good people... more or less. I was gobsmacked at the level idiocy of some people.

(in reply to igotnewlegs)
Post #: 81
RE: Left 4 Dead - 24/11/2008 12:49:10 PM   
borstal

quote:

ORIGINAL: igotnewlegs

I'm New Gold Leader on live

That sounds like the gamertag Jim Kerr would give himself....if he was into Star Wars...

....I reckon we need to get 8 of us together one night for a few matches

(in reply to igotnewlegs)
Post #: 82
RE: Left 4 Dead - 24/11/2008 1:49:12 PM   
dr. salvador

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spektre

quote:

I think there is but nobody used it. The others kept on reviving him so I doubt they would kick him out.

"Say hey Johnny boy, the battle call.
United we stand, divided we fall.
Together we are what we can't be alone,
We came to this country, you made it our home."

(in reply to Spektre)
Post #: 83
RE: Left 4 Dead - 24/11/2008 6:52:35 PM   
musewitch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spektre

quote:

I joined a bunch of randoms who obviously all knew each other and they killed me! Thanks a bunch! I think the AI director took pity on me and spawned shitloads of zombies who, judging by their screaming down their mics, killed them all!

I like a good tactical sensible game so if anyone would like to add me my tag is CoffinDodgA

Can't look Can't look

(in reply to Spektre)
Post #: 84
Left 4 Dead Night? - 24/11/2008 10:52:21 PM   
Mozza

Is anyone up for a vs. match on Friday?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Clownfoot

I have nothing to add. Mozza rules...

(in reply to musewitch)
Post #: 85
RE: Left 4 Dead Night? - 25/11/2008 10:15:57 AM   
BigKovacs

I may be around, hopefully.

I had a versus match last night with some of my old COD clan and it got really, really nasty. We're all good mates but it got tasty very quickly and the banter soon died away to just talk on how we can eat our mates alive.

Nice.

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 86
RE: Left 4 Dead - 29/11/2008 9:55:37 AM   
Chojin

I'm buying this today - so if anyone fancies a game give me a shout!

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 87
RE: Left 4 Dead - 11/12/2008 2:46:55 PM   
Scabby

Anyone know if this is gonna come out for the PS3 at some point? Would love to get my hands on it.

Sometimes writes here, sometimes writes there.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 88
RE: Left 4 Dead - 11/12/2008 3:15:53 PM   
BigKovacs

It's not scheduled so probably not, at least not for a very long time.

(in reply to Scabby)
Post #: 89
RE: Left 4 Dead - 11/12/2008 3:22:56 PM   
Scabby

How much is it for the PC on steam and whats the min spec?

Sometimes writes here, sometimes writes there.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Left 4 Dead Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI