Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB Page: <<   < prev  84 85 [86] 87 88   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 1/1/2013 3:51:57 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I only had one slasher on my list, that was Halloween 4. Hadn't seen it in years so it was good to watch again.

Got Cabin in the Woods which was... interesting to say the least lol

Saw Kill List yesterday, another intesresting movie. Wish the horror element was elaborated on a bit more, but it was definitely a good watch!

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to DEF)
Post #: 2551
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 4/1/2013 1:06:56 AM   
Art Decade

I watfhed this recently and its sequels....they were okay.

Also loved this...

< Message edited by Art Decade -- 4/1/2013 1:08:00 AM >

(in reply to Halloweenfreak)
Post #: 2552
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 5/1/2013 2:27:56 AM   
DEF

I'd love to see an uncut version of Sleepaway Camp 3. Apparently unlike part 2 it had all the gore/nudity trimmed. It would be great to get a Uncut blu box set. I don't have much interest in part 1 but 2 is awesome and 3 is fun.

Managed to get a chap from the US to get me the Walmart Exclusive When a Stranger Calls/Happy Birthday to Me double feature blu. Apparently the picture quality is stunning.

Going to see Texas Chainsaw 3D tomorow. The trailer looks tremendous but its getting universally panned by critics and horror fans from what I've read. I'm still hopeful though.

Watched The Orphan Killer dvd and The Boogey Man (original) Austrian blu the last couple of days.

SPOILERS

A masked lunatic terrorises his sister at the Orphanage/school they grew up in.

Orphan Killer is quite admirable for getting over its obvious financial short comings. It suffers from underdeveloped characters that generally speaking are distinctly unlikeable. That pretty much discribes 90% of all slashers post, post scream boom period. Its worth a watch but its the kind of slasher that wollows in sadistic bleak violence that borders on Torture film at times rather than the more fun slasher thats more my cup of tea.

One thing that I really didnt like is the death metal soundtrack. I say this as a metal fan but it just doesn't work effectively to do anything other than distract and irritate. If the film had a proper score then it would be so much more effective. It really hurts the film quite alot actually. It makes it seem so cheap and nasty. When really theres a good little film there.

If you like your Slashers and horrors on the more extreme and violent end than give it a go. The effects are good and if your into gore theres an insane amount here.

5.5 dubious musical choice out of 10

The Boogey Man I'm sure a lot of you have seen.

SPOILERS

Released from a broken mirror the evil spirit of an abusive step father type returns to take revenge on the family that killed him.

The blu is really nice generally. The Pic is by and large very good with a few short astonishingly bad colour timing issues. That said its clearly the source material rather than the Blu. If your a fan I doubt it will ever look better.

An interesting oddity this one. I liked the take on the killer. With him being invisible. I'd have liked it if he was visible in the mirrors dure in the kills. Would have given me the best of both worlds then.

I quite enjoyed it but it could have been a heck of a lot better. The kills are all a bit clumsally shot. Almost like all the acting and movements are at 75% speed. Its a bit of a shame that it isn't paced better. When the superflous characters are killed late in the game it really livens it up. If they had stuck another similar scene towards the beginning it would have been a fair bit better.

Still though worth a watch if no stone cold classic. Much better score on this one and the blu has a soundtrack CD included as well as a bunch extras I've yet to look at.

5 creepy head stockings out of 10

SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - Come and join us!

SLASHER MOVIE BLU-RAY BLOG!

(in reply to Art Decade)
Post #: 2553
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 7/1/2013 5:24:57 PM   
Whistler

Saw Texas Chainsaw 3D at the weekend.

So...

It's not as god-awful as some are saying, but it is extremely generic, full of plot turns that make absolutely no sense, and characters that couldn't possibly be more cliched. It's disappointing because I think there was potential for a genuinely good sequel here, but it forgets everything that made the original so unsettling and instead just throws gore in your face. And the less said about the 3D the better. Utterly useless.

Eddy's Film Review
Latest: Need For Speed, Under The Skin, 300: Rise Of An Empire

(in reply to DEF)
Post #: 2554
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 14/1/2013 12:45:14 PM   
Sleazy

Ok so I hadnt watched a slasher for a while so on Saturday night me and the missus watched...

Not bad at all, takes a while to get going but has a few laughs and some decent kills. Its kind of like a serious version of The league of Gentlemen.

Worth a watch anyway.

Gamertag: Sleazycome

PSN ID: Sleazytoon

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 2555
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 6/2/2013 10:56:42 AM   
DEF

Been a while guys. How's it going? Not a lot of news to report really. Arrow have announced they are releasing Motel Hell on blu ray and Scream Factory have The Burning and The Town That Dreaded Sun Down both set for blu in May but will be region locked USA.

Any of you know when The Collection is out in the UK? It came out state side ages ago.

Watched the US Blu of Deadly Blessing last night. Really liked it bar the daft coda at the end. Hadn't seen it before, its good fun.

Scream Factory are fast becoming the premier Genre Blu Ray outfit in the US. There line up is steller for the rest of the year. Of course I'd love them to give us more slashers but they are doing great work across the board with 70s and 80s Horror.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 2556
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 6/2/2013 11:35:37 AM   
DEF

Here's the complete Scream Factory release list. Credit should go to Csdot from the Scream Factory Discussion thread on Blu-ray.com. Some of the dates need updating and they recently announced The Evictors will be a bonus feature in standard def on The Town That Dreaded Sundown rather than get its own release. Presumably the elements weren't up to scratch.

1) "Halloween II" Collector's
Edition -- September 18, 2012
2) "Halloween III: Season of the
Witch" Collector's Edition --
September 18, 2012
3) "Terror Train" Collector's
Edition -- October 16, 2012
4) "The Funhouse" Collector's
Edition -- October 16, 2012
5) "They Live" Collector's Edition
-- November 6, 2012
6) "Death Valley" -- December 11,
7) "The Island" -- December 11,
8) "Deadly Blessing" Collector's
Edition -- January 22, 2013
9) "The Nest" -- February 19,
10) "TerrorVision" / "The Video
Dead" Double Feature -- February
19, 2013
11) "Prison" Collector's Edition --
February 19, 2013
12) "Phantasm II" Collector's
Edition -- March 26, 2013
13) "From Beyond" Collector's
Edition -- March 26, 2013
14) "Lifeforce" Collector's Edition
-- April 30, 2013 (Latest Release
Date Announcement)
15) "The Vampire Lovers" -- April
30, 2013 (Latest Release Date
Announcement)
16) "The Town That Dreaded
Sundown" -- TBA 2013
17) "The Evictors" -- TBA 2013
18) "The Incredible Melting Man"
-- TBA 2013
19) "X-Ray" (aka "Hospital
Massacre") -- TBA 2013
20) "Schizoid" -- TBA 2013
21) "The Godsend" -- TBA 2013
22) "Scanners II: The New Order"
-- TBA 2013
23) "Scanners III: The Takeover"
-- TBA 2013
24) "The Horror Show" -- TBA
25) "The Vagrant" -- TBA 2013
26) "The Fog" Collector's Edition
-- TBA 2013
27) "The Burning" Collector's
Edition -- TBA 2013
28) "Night of the Comet"
Collector's Edition -- TBA 2013
29) "The Howling" Collector's
Edition -- TBA 2013
30) "Day of the Dead" Collector's Edition -- TBA 2013

Obviously I'm gagging for the slashers but I quite like the look of the Terrorvision/Video Dead double feature out at the end of the month. Sadly it looks like Hospital Massacre aka X-ray won't be a blu from what I hear. Haven't seen it myself. Looks like a fun slasher though. Any good?

I should point out all Scream Factory titles are Region 1/A Locked so you'l need a multi region player in the UK.

< Message edited by DEF -- 6/2/2013 12:25:54 PM >

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 2557
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 13/2/2013 1:22:52 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Looks good mate, The Burning will be a definite for me when that is confirmed.

Death Valley was always a fun guilty pleasure and i really loved the novelty of its setting. Cool little movie. Also a big fan of the ridiculous X-Ray. That movie is so daft but totally worth it. It's bringing back memories some of these titles. A lot i havent seen in over ten years since i stopped using VHS. I still have the tapes though of course.

Not seen any slashers recently (maybe i'm going off them ). Will be watching Sinister tonight after hearing great things. Obviously not a slasher though.

I'm looking to get rid of my US Blus of Killer Movie and Midnight Movie as i don't really see me watching them again any time soon.

(in reply to DEF)
Post #: 2558
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 13/2/2013 3:58:06 PM   
DEF

The Burning and Town That Dreaded Sundown are now confirmed for May 21st in the US.

The sad reality is DK there just aren't many slashers being made these days. Especially not high profile ones. The last run of remakes seems to have really hurt the genre. Time was studios were guaranteed a decent return on a 10-20 million budget slasher now they seem to be way less of a sure thing. I'm sure we'll see another upswing sooner or later but right now the future is bleak. There's The Collection and Hatchet 3 I guess. Basically the last few years amounted to a hand full of low budget direct to video flicks that uniformly suck, one or two high profile films such as Scream 4 and TC3D and maybe be one or two genuinely good and creative efforts. Even for someone like me its hard to get excited about that. That's the upside to these BD's of classic slashers, they still give me something to look forward to.

Sad to hear your giving up on Killer Movie, I love that flick.

The BD of Death Valley is great. The film it self didn't do that much for me to be honest. It was alright but nothing special. The scene in the camper van was great fun mind you if all to brief. Along with Death Valley I've recently watched Happy Birthday To Me, House By The Cemetery and Deadly Blessing which were all much more up my street.

The Collection is out on BD March 26th in the US incidentally.

I bought The Ward yesterday mainly because there's just so little left for me to choose from on the high street in the UK now. I'm hoping it's as least as good as My Soul to Take.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 2559
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 18/2/2013 8:42:30 AM   
Sleazy

I thought The Ward was ok, saw the ending a mile off though.

I watched The Collection over the weekend. Good fun but not a patch on the original. Theres a few daft bits but worth a viewing.

(in reply to DEF)
Post #: 2560
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 18/2/2013 10:32:47 PM   
Art Decade

Classic. Its being remade.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 2561
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 19/2/2013 9:14:38 AM   
Discodez

Yes with Elijah Wood in the Joe Spinell role!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPdzB1oGifw

(To be fair, the trailer looks pretty good)

(in reply to Art Decade)
Post #: 2562
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 5/3/2013 7:04:38 PM   
evil bill

Well before you all rush out to see MANIAC this Thursday here's a review of the orginal classic cult slasher film.
MANIAC (1980)

Frank(Joe Spinell) misses his mother, who was killed in a car accident years before. She was abusive to him, and made money selling her body, but Frank still misses her. He still talks to her, and tries to keep her from leaving him, and reform her evil ways, by killing young women and putting their scalps on mannequins which he displays around his apartment. Photographer Anna(Caroline Munro),  takes a picture of him in the park, and he pursues and befriends her. Is she the one he's been looking for or just another mommy wanna be.

A truly disturbing and unpleasant film with a relentlessly downbeat tone, which features graphic violence, and some outstanding for it's time bloody special-effects makeup by cult effects man Tom Savini, who also stars in a small role where he meets a gruesome end in a as "Disco Boy." Highlights include Frank's mother's corpse, a realistic scalping by large knife and an exploding head which gets blown to bits by a shotgun, very much more than the graphic Scanners head explosion. The star of the film is Joe Spinell, who appeared in Taxi Driver, The Godfather 1and 2 in small roles, but here he is in the lead role as the twisted unsavoury  Frank Zito, a character reminiscent of De Niro's Travis Bickle, except far more twisted and disturbing. Joe's portrayal here is very hard to watch in places, for there is noting to like about this Psycho, the rape and torture scenes remined me of Fulcis equally disturbing New York Riper. Both films give no let up in there gut turning sexual horror, in fact films like Saw etc look tame compared to these films, for they had some dark humour to lighten the horror on screen. But this just keeps piling on the horror right up to the ending with it's interesting twist as Frank hallucinates that his victims are returning to life and tearing him limb from limb.

William Lustig's Maniac is basically Grand Guignol Splatter film that cinematic audiences of the 80's craved, but viewers of this film got more than they wanted,a depraved, demoralising extremely violent twisted film, that was touted as a  Halloween and Friday the 13th type slasher film. But this is more of a Nightmares in a Damaged Brain, Mardi Gras Massacre, and Don't go in the House film, for this is no boogy loony man in a mask with a machete. It's also story wise more Psycho/ Texas Chainsaw Massacre, as you'll see plenty of dead bodies, and mother stuffed and siting in a chair, which makes me wonder whether or not the writers of this film were basing the plot on the real life serial killer Ed Gein, who also grew up with an abusive mother and suffered psychological problems later on as an adult, which ultimately drove him to grave robing and murder. William Lustig  style and tone own more than a nod to Lucio Fulci's slasher film's ,it also has that arthouse feel of an Abel Ferrara movie with great use made of New Yorks darker side. I'm in no doubt it has inspired multitudes of slasher flicks and torture flicks, none more so than Henry:Portrait Of A Serial Killer, this is the only recent entry into the slasher field that looks anything like Maniac. But none of the more modern slashers look or feel like it, the only film of it's kind I belived they could not remake for fear of the outrage it could cause, but they have and I fear it may be well watered down. For there is no humour, and the great use of the dark back street's of New York of the 70s/80s add to it's dark fearful feel, and there is no escape from the madness on screen, and you will need a strong will not to turn away in disgust at what unfolds. No wonder this too was banned during the Video Nasty debate, but at least now you get to see this excellent film fully uncut on both DVD and Blu-Ray, and with the remake hitting are screens, I believe like I Spit On Your Grave, it will it be toned down  though with good production and effects. Very few of the remakes from the 80's horror field have worked, only The Hills Have Eyes and Last House On The Left bucked the trend for me, as for this film, if you have not seen it yet, go see now and then see how the remake compares. 7/10 

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 2563
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 11/3/2013 11:30:25 AM   
Sleazy

Oddly I've never seen Maniac. Will have to give it a try.

Watched a few horrors/slashers this weekend:

Started watching "The Tripper" which seemed like your typical kids get slaughtered in the woods affair, very poor acting and a boring storyline meant I turned this one off after about 30 mins.

Then watched "Stitches" which was good fun. If you arent aware of this film it features Ross Noble as the titular undead clown. Its very silly but amusing to watch the bumbling killer dispatch the local teens in a serious of bizarre ways. Some good one liners and I burst out laughing everytime Stitches came out with "for fucks sake". Noble does a decent acting turn here (bizarrely with a Yorkshire accent) and the others arent too bad either. Most of the cast is Irish and unknown (at least to me). No classic but worth a watch.

Lastly I watched "Silent House" which isnt a slasher but is a decent although strange horror tale which you figure out quicker than the film makers wanted you too. Poor shaky camera dont help things and whilst the idea is a good (and disturbing) one I cant really recommend this film as it has been done better elsewhere.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 2564
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 11/3/2013 1:08:54 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sleazy

Oddly I've never seen Maniac. Will have to give it a try.

Watched a few horrors/slashers this weekend:

Started watching "The Tripper" which seemed like your typical kids get slaughtered in the woods affair, very poor acting and a boring storyline meant I turned this one off after about 30 mins.

Then watched "Stitches" which was good fun. If you arent aware of this film it features Ross Noble as the titular undead clown. Its very silly but amusing to watch the bumbling killer dispatch the local teens in a serious of bizarre ways. Some good one liners and I burst out laughing everytime Stitches came out with "for fucks sake". Noble does a decent acting turn here (bizarrely with a Yorkshire accent) and the others arent too bad either. Most of the cast is Irish and unknown (at least to me). No classic but worth a watch.

Lastly I watched "Silent House" which isnt a slasher but is a decent although strange horror tale which you figure out quicker than the film makers wanted you too. Poor shaky camera dont help things and whilst the idea is a good (and disturbing) one I cant really recommend this film as it has been done better elsewhere.

Now if i recall, The Tripper is the one directed by Ex-Mr Courtney Cox, Scream's David Arquette. It's pretty oddball throughout and walks the line betwen slasher and surreal horror

Stitches i might give it a go. I have no pre-conceptions of Ross Noble as i've never seen or heard anything he's done, i don't really like stand up, so that's why. Will have to check it out sometime.

I really wanted to enjoy Silent House but it fell far short. There is just not enough meat to the going's on and for a lot of the running time, nothing is happening. Love the idea to fake it as a one shot though.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 2565
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 11/3/2013 6:46:46 PM   
DEF

Good to hear Stitches is worth a watch. I plan to pick up the blu tomorrow. I watched Urban Legends Final Cut the other day. Some how I'd never seen it. A good laugh it was to. Sadly the kills are pretty weak but that didnt hurt it to bad. I liked it similarly to how I like Killer Movie. Its a good kind of ropey.

Post #: 2566
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 11/3/2013 7:10:30 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I think Urban Legends: Final Cut is very tongue in cheek and knowing. Interest fact is that it's directed by Bryan Singer's longtime Composer, John Ottman. I'm a big fan kof it!

(in reply to DEF)
Post #: 2567
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 12/3/2013 11:52:27 AM   
DEF

Yeah I noticed John Ottman Directed, was a little suprised. I definitely prefer Final Cut to Urban Legend but then I'm probably in the minority there.

Ordered a few Slasher Blus from Germany. I didn't realise any of them had been released on BD anywhere I'n the world until I stumbled on them whilst browsing Amazon.de the other week.

Blood Runs Cold

Madison County

Now I've read pretty good things about both of those. Apparently Blood Runs Cold was only shot for 5 Grand and what they came up with is pretty damn impressive when you take that into account.

On the other hand I aslo ordered thclearly very ropey but possibly genius,

PANMAN

Post #: 2568
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 14/3/2013 1:42:45 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Let me know what you think when they arrived Def!

I picked up Halloween 5 blu ray in Cheltenham HMV today as it's closing down. I think it came to £4.90 in the end. Been years since i saw it. Like part 4 i never had it on DVD, just VHS!

(in reply to DEF)
Post #: 2569
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 14/3/2013 8:44:49 PM   
DEF

Nice, 4.90 isn't going to hurt. I might be the only person that kinda liked Halloween 5. Between 4 and 5, 5 has the better blu transfer to.

I picked up Stitches in the Cheltenham HMV the other day actually. They gave the 30% discount which was nice dispite the fact its a new release. It quite amusing but no classic. The kills are tremendous fun. Worth a watch with couple of beers certainly.

Post #: 2570
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 15/3/2013 1:56:21 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

So weird that we were both in there on the same day, we may have walked past each other!

(in reply to DEF)
Post #: 2571
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 22/3/2013 2:19:24 PM   
DEF

Yeah crazy isn't it.

Hatchet 3 trailer

So I watched Panman. Yeah maybe best to avoid that one. The joke wears thin VERY quickly. Its about 10% amusing and 90% tedious.

Post #: 2572
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 22/3/2013 11:00:36 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I still haven't gotten round to watching Hatchet 2 yet, terrible i know, i need to watch it.

I was in London the past few days and popped in to the cinema store in Covent Garden. Awesome place. They had the Death Valley blu ray in there and it was very tempting, but they charge a lot for their imports and they had it at £29.99!!!! Ouch. I love the movie, but that is a lot of moolah. Also very tempting, but unfortunately at the same price, was the US blu of Halloween 3.

(in reply to DEF)
Post #: 2573
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 23/3/2013 10:43:41 AM   
DEF

WOAH £29.99!!!! thats crazy. Amazon is your friend. I haven't picked up Halloween 3 yet. Death Valley is worth a go but import it for half the price.

Heard of this? Slice and Dice: The Slasher Film Forever

Looks pretty cool. Directed by Calum Waddell and has involvement from Justin Kerswell from Hysteria Lives. Here's the blurb from amazon.
quote:

The Complete History of Mad Maniac Movies!

Ever since Alfred Hitchcock created Psycho in 1960 the story of a weapon-wielding madman - stalking and slaughtering helpless victims - has become a fixture of fear flicks and bludgeoned blockbuster box office.

Slice and Dice: The Slasher Film Forever is an unashamed salutation to the arterial-spraying excellence of Norman Bates, Leatherface, Jason Voorhees, Michael Myers, Freddy Krueger, Chucky and their many plasma-packed protégés.

Featuring commentary from some of the form's most celebrated faces including Corey Feldman (Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter), Mick Garris (Masters of Horror), Adam Green (Hatchet), Tom Holland (Child's Play), Tobe Hooper (The Texas Chain Saw Massacre), Patrick Lussier (My Bloody Valentine 3D), Felissa Rose (Sleepaway Camp), Jeffrey Reddick (creator of Final Destination), Scott Spiegel (Intruder) and numerous others.

Slice and Dice: The Slasher Film Forever is a splatter-packed documentary which delivers enough creepy carnage, and insider information, to appease fright-fans of all generations!

Disc Features:

DISC 1:

Feature Film

Special Features:

*Audio commentary with director/ producer Calum Waddell moderated by Justin Kerswell, author of Teenage Wasteland: The Slasher Movie Uncut
*Additional 'outtake' interviews featuring Corey Feldman, Felissa Rose, J.S. Cardone, Kevin Tenney and more
*Post-screening audience Question and Answer session from the Glasgow Film Theatre featuring Slice and Dice interviewees James Moran and Norman J. Warren
*Footage from the Sitges Film Festival World Premiere
*Footage from the USA premiere at San Francisco's Another Hole in the Head Festival
*Footage from the Scottish premiere at the Glasgow Film Theatre
*All Kinds of Twisted (Theme from Slice and Dice: The Slasher Film Forever) music video
*Full Moon trailer park including trailers for slasher greats Tourist Trap, Puppet Master and Intruder.

DISC 2:

Trailer Park of Legendary Slasher Titles
*Optional audio commentary with Calum Waddell and Justin Kerswell

Peeping Tom (1960)
Slaughter Hotel (1971)
Black Christmas (1974)
Eaten Alive (Tobe Hooper, 1977)
The Hills Have Eyes (1977)
Halloween (1978)
He Knows You're Alone (1980)
Don't Answer the Phone (1980)
Fade to Black (1980)
Terror Train (1980)
Prom Night (1980)
The Unseen (1980)
Final Exam (1981)
Hell Night (1981)
Alone in the Dark (1982)
Last Horror Film (1982)
Sleepaway Camp (1983)
The Hills Have Eyes Part II (1984)
Splatter University (1984)
Mountaintop Motel Massacre (1984)
Stagefright (1987)
American Gothic (1988)

Post #: 2574
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 25/3/2013 1:20:54 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Wow that looks awesome Def! Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Definitely will be looking into picking that up.

(in reply to DEF)
Post #: 2575
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 25/3/2013 3:01:17 PM   
DEF

No problem DK, I thought you'd be into it.

Shameless plug for my blog time. I wrote a little something about my top 10 most wanted Slasher movies to get an upgrade to Blu-ray. Give it a read guys and lets get some discussion going on everyone's different most wanted lists.

Post #: 2576
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 26/3/2013 1:34:55 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I will endeavour to do that this evening Def, i have a terrible memory and will probably forget but i will take a long asap!

(in reply to DEF)
Post #: 2577
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 10/4/2013 8:23:51 AM   
Sleazy

Watched a couple of horrors at the weekend, not strictly slashers though.

First up watched House of the Dead 2, was better than the first one at least but so very generic.

Then watched 6 Plots, its clearly "inspired" by SAW or Untraceable but with a teen cast. Not bad. Not very gory but a few nice kills - mainly off screen but the suggestion is enough. I didnt notice the rating but must only be 15.

Think SAW 90210 and you have the idea. The twist was so obvious that I didnt even think it was meant to be a mystery!

Post #: 2578
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 10/4/2013 8:11:38 PM   
DEF

For some reason I've had Madison County and Blood Runs Cold sat on my shelf for weeks now and not got round to them up until now. Watched Madison County last night. The films nicely shot for a low budget independent affair. The cinematography is very nice and the RED camera it was shot on really captures the beauty of the scenery and typically pretty cast. Perfect for Blu-ray then and the Germany BD has a very nice transfer. I question the need for the film to be in 3D on the disc mind you. There is pretty much NOTHING in this film that would benefit from it. This is as conventional as backwoods slashers come.

SPOILERS

Group of College kids take a trip to the middle of nowhere to write a term paper on a local Killer. The locals make them less than welcome and then the pig headed Killer turns up and makes them even less welcome.

Honestly this borders on mundane. It takes 45 minutes before the first kill then finishes within 30 minutes after that. The saving grace to those initial 45 minutes is as I said it looks quite pretty and at least the characters are vaguely likeable, which is a massive stumbling block for slashers these days it seems.The kills are not especially interesting from an effects point of view which is a shame because with all that build up it could have been its saving grace, if they had gone all Hatchet for that last 30 minutes it would at least stand out but instead its more mundane and plodding with the odd stab. They really did try to make a creepy character with Mr Pig Head and to an extent they are successful but it fails on every level after creepy. There's no real scares, plenty of plot holes and a bit of a non ending to boot.

I'd probably not go out of my way to see this one. Although with such a short run time and it being dull rather than out and out dire you could do worse. I enjoyed it just not much.

One thing that does occur to me is that the German company that released it on Blu-ray brought it out as a single disc in 2D and a single disc with both 2D/3D on the same disc. I got the slightly pricier 2D/3D version not knowing they were on the same disc (although I did assume it) and now I'm wondering if the 2D only version was the better way to go. Don't get me wrong the disc is good from a picture stand point as it looks ace in HD but it stands to reason a 2D BD that doesn't have 3D version of the film wedged on to the disc might have less compression. I guess it just depends if its a BD50 or BD25. Sorry now I'm rambling.

Commentary and the trailer in German are the only extras.

5 your not locals out 10

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 2579
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 11/4/2013 2:20:24 PM   
DEF

I hope I'm wrong but I can't find anything indicating The Collection is getting a UK Blu Ray release. The DVD is up for preorder on Amazon to be released 29th of April but no sign of a BD. Will not be happy if that's the case.

(in reply to DEF)
Post #: 2580
Page:   <<   < prev  84 85 [86] 87 88   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB Page: <<   < prev  84 85 [86] 87 88   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI