Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB Page: <<   < prev  81 82 [83] 84 85   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 21/7/2012 10:09:14 AM   
Sleazy

Bought Trailer Park of Terror yesterday. Gonna watch it tonight as part of a horror night with friends. Will report back.

Gamertag: Sleazycome

PSN ID: Sleazytoon

(in reply to DEF)
Post #: 2461
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 28/7/2012 11:16:11 AM   
DEF

What was the verdict then Sleazy? I've got a mate that raves about TPOT but I've never got round to it. Theres a German blu ray I've had my eye on. Its a part slasher anthology is it not?

So I watched the German Blu-ray of Simon Says the other day. Needles to say Crispin Glover is well above this type of thing and he must of done it as a favour or to pay the bills. That said its not like he puts in anything more than a ropey southern accent and hams it up. Its mildly amusing with some passable kills and the traditional group of partying teens in the woods.

Theres not alot more to say about it really other than some unintentional comedy and strange unexplained plot holes. Pretty formuliac and low budget affair. Who knows I might grow to love it but I doubt it. Theres just enoui wrong with it that Its unlikely. Which is a shame because its nearly on the level of something like Killer Movie or Midnight Movie.

The blu-ray looks ok for this type of thing. Certainly a level of clarity and popping colour palette that would be lost on standard def. Having said that it does lack detail some times and suffer from heavy edge enhancement. It may been DNR'd as theres a lack of grain but I doubt it will look better in the future and its certainly HD.

There are extras but I haven't checked them out yet.

I can't imagine many seeking the bluray out but if its on netflix and your bored and want something new and have exausted the great slashers there are worse choices.

3.5 pick axes throwing machines out of 10

SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - Come and join us!

SLASHER MOVIE BLU-RAY BLOG!

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 2462
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 28/7/2012 12:28:35 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Yeah i thought Simons Says was a let down. just odd movie, like The Tripper, just really weird and as a result, really unsatisfying.

Did you post your thoughts on End of the Line yet dude?

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to DEF)
Post #: 2463
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 28/7/2012 12:31:21 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

before i order End of the Line from Amazon.de, what other German horrors or slashers or blus that are only available there do you recommend Def? I'll do a bulk order if there's anything else i'd like to get. Real shame about Timecrimes having no English subs though

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 2464
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 28/7/2012 7:47:23 PM   
DEF

I didn't dislike Simon Says. Its just not quite good enough.

Haven't got round to watching End of the Line yet mate. Thats next on my list of things to do.

To be honest the only German Blu I can whole hearted recommend from my collection is Behind the Mask the Rise of Leslie Vernon (you have Scream 4 already). The Seamstress sucks. Insane and Simon Says are about the same sort of quality. Entertaining but in a rent me because I'm direct to video ropey way. Dark Ride has out of sync English audio.

German discs I dont have that look interesting are the Black Christmas remake that I think is the theatrical cut but im not 100%. It also has locked German subs but they maybe only on signs and titles etc. But again in not 100% sure.

If your ordering from Amazon.de then the Uncut Austrian version of Sweatshop is available. Just make sure its the uncut version. I'm waiting for this to arrive any day now myself.

Stay away from the Halloween films released over there and the German Laid to Rest as they are all cut.

I've been tempted by House of Fears and Harpoon recently to.

Sometimes Austrian releases are listed on Amazon.de like the uncut Sweatshop. So its worth looking for Laid to Rest, Boogey Man and Four Flies on Grey Velvet. But make sure they arnt the cut German versions.

Post #: 2465
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 29/7/2012 9:27:38 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Thanks Def, think i'd only be tempted by Black Xmas, although the risk of burnt in subs is too much of a risk for me. I love the movie, but would need to be sure the subs werent throughout!

Let me know when you watch End of the Line dude

(in reply to DEF)
Post #: 2466
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 29/7/2012 10:56:02 AM   
DEF

Don't blame you mate. I'll try and find out about the subs issue for you.

Watched the Simon Says extra features and its just a 4 minute photo gallery and trailers for the Russian Transporter and 7eventy5ive aka Dead Tone.

You seen 7eventy5ive? Looks awesome from the trailer. Its just jumped way up my list. I love Rutger Hauer and in a decent looking slasher to boot.

Post #: 2467
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 29/7/2012 11:31:56 AM   
DEF

Chap on blu-ray.com just confirmed the subs are only burnt in on titles and signs on Black Christmas.

(in reply to DEF)
Post #: 2468
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 29/7/2012 11:52:05 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Thanks for clarifying on the subs mate! Might take the plunge then.

7eventy 5ive has been on my to watch list for years now, i just never get round to picking it up. love Rutger and it looks like a cool movie. Is there a blu release anywhere as i was gonna just end up getting the DVD

(in reply to DEF)
Post #: 2469
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 29/7/2012 3:03:38 PM   
DEF

Indeed there are. 4 choices, German, French, Itallian and Chinese. My guess is the German will be cheapest and I've checked, its uncut. No idea which is best though.

Post #: 2470
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 29/7/2012 3:30:15 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

That's great news but also annoying as there's so many blus i want or have on pre-order at the mo! Gah! I've been going on a bit of a steelbook bender recently too, with all of Plays great offerings. I dont know if i can justify both 7eventy 5ive and Black Xmas so will have to decide between the two. Hmmmmm

(in reply to DEF)
Post #: 2471
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 29/7/2012 4:31:46 PM   
DEF

I'm the same mate the preorders sneak up on you. I've had a look about and the french edition on amazon.fr looks cheapest listed under Dead Tone. French discs have a better rep than German for quality to so thats seems smart.

11.30ish delivered.

< Message edited by DEF -- 29/7/2012 4:38:40 PM >

Post #: 2472
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 30/7/2012 8:33:27 AM   
Sleazy

ok, sorry about that, the original horror night didnt happen so we watched it on Saturday instead.

TPOT was ok, some good fun moments and great music. The main problem was it takes ages to get going, I liked it tho, it had a couple of gross out (tho unlikely) kills. Turn your brain off and enjoy kinda film.

We also watched Death Row. Its a ghost film involving Jake Busey and a botched diamond heist holing up in a haunted prison along with some teens there to make a documentary. Think 13 Ghosts or House on Haunted Hill. Poor acting and a crappy story are saved by some great kills, someone being fed through a license plate cutter being a particular highlight!

BTW - I notice you mentioned Harpoon. I liked that one, quite disturbing.

(in reply to DEF)
Post #: 2473
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 1/8/2012 2:26:30 PM   
DEF

Watched End of the Line last night. Interesting little movie that. Good call DK. The thing is it actually has some pretty ropey dialogue, low production design and plot holes. But inspite all that its still really interesting and affecting. I havent jumped in what feels like years compared to one bit in it. Its creatively twisted just enough so that it isn't a misshandled mess. The same script and production in a different Directors hands could have been absolutely dire.

Without giving to much away a group of passengers on a late night subway meet a sticky end.

I know I mentioned the production design being ropey but the practical effects are absolutely brilliant. Every low budget slasher needs to take note and see how to do it right.

The Blu-ray is ok. The picture is certainly HD and does look good but is also pretty inconsistant but that may well be due to its original production. It sort of reminds me of when Dr Who looks its absolute cheapest. I havent watched the extras yet but i did notice theres a near 40 minute making of thats in English.

I'm pretty chuffed about this one. It was definately worth the import. Having seen my share of low budget subway set slashers over the last year its great to see a interesting take on one.

6.5 deadly crosses out of 10

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 2474
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 1/8/2012 4:47:59 PM   
DEF

Just watched the extras on End of the Line. Good stuff for a low budget foreign release. The 40 min making of has forced German and English subs due to a couple of the Canadian cast speaking French. Theres also a 12 minute Q&A from the Fantasia film festival also with both sets of forced subs. Both are standard definition and frankly really show off how good the main feature looks in HD. Theres also a English commentary track with removable subs.

In other news I finally got a refund from Horror Movie Empire. Shame I didnt get the films I payed for. Its going to cost far more to get them now but hey at least 7 months later I get my money back.

(in reply to DEF)
Post #: 2475
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 2/8/2012 1:26:55 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: DEF

I havent jumped in what feels like years compared to one bit in it.

***********SPOILERS************

The bit right at the start right? On the train when the lead girl lowers her drawing/ magazine (i can't remember exactly what shes holding).

Here's something interesting now you've seen the movie dude. Watch it again and you'll realise the bit right at the beginning actually takes place AFTER the main events of the movie chronologically. Also, do you know what causes the mass insanity? The muffins! Watch it again and take special note of the references to the muffins and who you see eating them. Follow the below link for someone on IMDBs take on it, really interesting:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0494224/board/flat/121715408?p=1

< Message edited by DONOVAN KURTWOOD -- 2/8/2012 1:27:43 PM >

(in reply to DEF)
Post #: 2476
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 2/8/2012 7:23:56 PM   
DEF

Yarp your spot on with that jump scare. I guess I'm not the only one.

I won't lie to you, that thread just blew my mind. EVERYONE should watch this film. It lingers with you. Where's Bozz these days? He should see this bad boy, its pretty special.

SPOILERS

I completely forgot about the Muffins. Thats really smart writing.

Post #: 2477
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 4/8/2012 8:38:28 AM   
DEF

Looks like theres a chance at least Tenebre will be mine soon. Theres a German Blu coming in September. I'm crossing my fingers its uncut. Also finally got a shipping notice on the uncut Austrian Blus of Sweatshop and Laid to Rest.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 2478
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 6/8/2012 8:41:20 AM   
Sleazy

Had another horror-thon on Saturday night. Thru the alchohol addled mist I watched:

Detention - yes the correct one this time! What a strange film, whilst the back story is essentially a teen slasher, very little of the film is devoted to it. It kinda reminded me of Scott Pilgrim but even more off the wall and self referencing. It constantly breaks the forth wall but isnt as clever as it really likes to think it is. Its a bit like listening to a hipster student waffling on about their latest passion (in this case the 90s). Imaging the most self aware discussions from Scream and multiply it by Kevin Smith. By the end I had kinda enjoyed it but its smugness is irritating.

Next up was Monster Brawl, not a slasher but I thought I'd mention it. Great fun movie, imagine classic monsters duking it out in a WWE style King of the Ring tournement. Very silly and very funny, the monsters even have 80s WWF style promo segments. Lance Henriksson provides voice over with some Mortal Kombat inspired comments and commentary by none other than Jimmy "Mouth of the South" Hart. Recommended!

Back to slashers next was Jack The Reaper. Usual premise of teens get stalked/murdered. This time their school bus breaks down at a funfair, theres nobody about so obviously the teens decide to go on the rides. Some nice kills but its very by-the-numbers. Not terrible but not great either. Tony Todd pops up again. Twist at the end has been done better elsewhere.

Last movie was another slasher - The Pool, I enjoyed this one, some good kills, a decent stalker and some fit lovelys. I'm sure you guys have seen this one but I hadnt heard of it.

(in reply to DEF)
Post #: 2479
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 6/8/2012 10:00:56 AM   
DEF

Nice one Sleazy, you have found me another Slasher on Blu-ray. Jack the Reaper is out uncut in Germany. Another one for the ever growing list.

I wish they would release The Pool on Blu. I've heard tons of good things.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 2480
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 7/8/2012 1:04:45 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Got a new TV on the weekend that converts 2D to 3D. Its surprisingly effective too, will try it with a few slashers soon.

(in reply to DEF)
Post #: 2481
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 7/8/2012 3:35:22 PM   
DEF

Mate you KNOW you gota get the Blu-Ray of Friday the 13th part 3 on that bad boy asap.

Post #: 2482
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 8/8/2012 8:16:16 AM   
Sleazy

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Got a new TV on the weekend that converts 2D to 3D. Its surprisingly effective too, will try it with a few slashers soon.

I've never heard of such a thing, sounds like witchery!

Post #: 2483
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 9/8/2012 1:04:23 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: DEF

Mate you KNOW you gota get the Blu-Ray of Friday the 13th part 3 on that bad boy asap.

Ha yeah dude, i still haven't watched a full slasher although i did try a bit of I Know What You Did Last Summer in 3D and it was pretty cool.

I picked up Saw The Final Chapter in 3D. Not sure how many other true 3D slashers there are. I know there are two releases of MBV 3D, one with the pair of red and green glasses (which i own) and one in true 3D, which i aim to pick up.

(in reply to DEF)
Post #: 2484
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 9/8/2012 1:04:51 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sleazy

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I've never heard of such a thing, sounds like witchery!

It's very good witchery Sleazy!

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 2485
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 13/8/2012 12:41:16 PM   
DEF

So today is the day guys. The big 100 Slasher Movie on Blu-ray as arrived. Well actual both Sweatshop and Laid to Rest both arrived together from Austria so its 101 by my count. I won't get a chance to watch them until tomorrow which is a bit of a shame. I've wanted to see Laid to Rest for ages.

Slasher Movie collection

All the Boys Love Mandy Lane - UK
Amusement - UK
A Bay of Blood - UK
Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon - German
Bikini Girls on Ice - US
The Bird With The Crystal Plumage - US
Black Christmas (original) - US
Blood Night: The Legend of Mary Hatchet - Australia
Candyman - UK
Chain Letter - UK
Child's Play - US
Bride of Chucky - French
The Collector - UK
Cry_Wolf - UK
D-Tox - UK
Dark Night of the Scarecrow - US
Dark Ride - German
Dead Man's Shoes - UK
Deep Red - US
Dementia 13 - US
Demons Never Die! - UK
The Dorm That Dripped Blood - US
Dream Home - Hong Kong
End of the Line - Germany
F - UK
Friday the 13th - UK
Friday the 13th part 2 - UK
Friday the 13th part 3 3D - US
Freddy Vs Jason - UK
Friday the 13th (remake) - UK
The Funhouse - UK
Halloween - UK
Halloween II - US
Halloween part 6 The Curse of Michael Myers (Triple feature) - Canadian
Halloween H20 (Triple feature) - Canadian
Halloween Resurrection (Triple feature) - Canadian
Rob Zombie's Halloween - Australian
Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 - UK
Hatchet - US
Hatchet 2 US
The Hills Have Eyes (remake) - UK
The Hills Have Eyes 2 (remake) - UK
House of 1000 Corpses - US
House Of Wax (remake) - UK
Husk - UK
I Know What You Did Last Summer - US
I Still Know What You Did Last Summer -US
Insane - Germany
Intruder - US
Killer Movie -US
Laid To Rest - Austria
Maniac Cop - UK
Mask Maker - UK
Midnight Meat Train - UK
Midnight Movie - US
My Bloody Valentine (original) - US
My Bloody Valentine 3D - UK
My Soul To Take - UK
A Nightmare on Elm Street - UK
A Nightmare on Elm Street - UK Box Set:
A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge - UK Box Set:
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors - UK Box Set:
A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master - UK Box Set:
A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child - UK Box Set:
Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare - UK Box Set:
Wes Craven's New Nightmare - UK Box Set:
A Nightmare on Elm Street (remake) - UK
No Man's Land Rise Of The Reeker - German
Phenomena - UK
The Prowler - US
Prom Night (remake) Unrated - US
Psycho Steelbook - UK
Scream - UK
Scream 2 - UK
Scream 3 - UK
Scream 4 Steelbook - German
Scream of the Banshee - UK
The Seamstress - German
See No Evil - UK
The Shortcut - US
Simon Says - Germany
Sorority Row - UK
Stag Night - UK
The Stepfather (Original) - US
Strip Nude For Your Killer - US
Student Bodies - US (2 pack with Jekyll and Hyde Together Again)
Suspiria - UK
Sweatshop - Austria
Switchblade Romance - UK
The Task - UK
Texas Chainsaw Massacre - UK
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (remake) - UK
Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning - Canada
The Toolbox Murders - US
Torso - US
Triangle - UK
Tucker & Dale Vs Evil - US
Uncle Sam - US
Urban Explorers - UK
Urban Legend - UK
Venom - US
Wolf Creek - UK

Puppet Master and Halloween 4&5 are out this month

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 2486
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 14/8/2012 1:27:36 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Wow Def that is epic mate, high five! A very impressive collection. Mine is seriously lacking and i haven't bought a slasher blu for absolutely ages unfortunately.

(in reply to DEF)
Post #: 2487
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 14/8/2012 3:32:26 PM   
Sleazy

congrats mate, thats a collection to be proud of.

You will have to let us know what you think of Laid to Rest and Sweatshop, I liked them both.

Post #: 2488
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 15/8/2012 5:06:36 AM   
DEF

Can't be bothered to import US region locked Halloween 4 and 5 next week? Fear not, wait until October because they are getting a UK release.

Any of you seen Gnaw, The Graves or Smash Cut? Saw the trailers early and they look slasherish are they?

So I've watched Sweatshop and Laid to Rest.

SPOILERS
Sweatshop is quite irritating. The general asthetic of the film just isnt my cup of tea. By that I mean the obnoxious camera filters and colour tints. It also does that annoyingly agressive sound design thing. I'm getting like a broken record but its not scary or atmospheric. Its grateing and makes the film a chore after a while. Add that to a group of extremely annoying characters, whos dialogue borders on nonsensical. Its a safe to say a lot of the film is rubbish and even annoying.

Now heres a few things that make up for some of that. The killer is badass. Especially his weapon of choice, a gigantic hammer. The kills are gory as hell and pretty dang cool. Also the ladies are easy on the eye particularly if you like the cyber industrial goth type.

Sadly that nearly makes up for the stuff i didnt like. But you see I have more issues. The killer has this completely inexplicable pair of undead hench women that detract from the big man just because theres no effort at all to explain them. I can buy masked madman with big hammer attacks out of nowhere, but the undead lackies in a warehouse were a bit hard to swallow and they added nothing.

Whilst I'm at it I don't even know why its called Sweatshop.

I have more to say but my phone blows.

4 times the size of a large sledge hammer crashing on your dome out of 10

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 2489
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 15/8/2012 4:01:20 PM   
Sleazy

The Graves is terrible! really cheaply made, zero tension and very little slashability.

stay well clear, one of the worst "horrors" I've seen.

I liked Sweatshop more than that (the first half is very poor though) however i agree 100% on the henchmen. What are they there for? who are they? are they human or something else?

I would have liked to know who the killer is but like you say its not as important.

Also the "hammer" is a fucking anvil attached to a pipe!

< Message edited by Sleazy -- 15/8/2012 4:04:15 PM >

(in reply to DEF)
Post #: 2490
Page:   <<   < prev  81 82 [83] 84 85   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB Page: <<   < prev  81 82 [83] 84 85   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI