Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 7/10/2008 10:17:58 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Love that cover. I just had a good look at all the usual place (play, playusa, amazin, ebay) and cannot find that movie anywhere on DVD (or VHS for that matter). Very frustrating, as my rents just got back from Canada, I could've asked them to look for it.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to goonie 4eva)
Post #: 181
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 7/10/2008 11:59:32 AM   
goonie 4eva

i managed to get it off ebay on big box vhs about 6 years ago and iv looked since on dvd but cant find it anywhere it really is a forgoten gem, just been on ebay dude and they have 2 copys on rare vhs! ones in canada the other america

Ruth,Ruth,Ruth...Baby Ruth!

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 182
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 7/10/2008 2:29:45 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Your pic was a Region 1 DVD though was it not? Which it what got me excited as to thinking it was available on DVD. Where did you get the pic from? Yeah i saw those Vids on ebay, can't play NTSC unfortunately

Post #: 183
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 7/10/2008 7:21:13 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: goonie 4eva

i only heard of it after its mentioned in Scream so i got it off ebay about 6 years ago,its suposed to be a true story about a killer (who looks like Jason in part 2) stalking a killing off random people.

Nice movie by the sounds of it
quote:

Your pic was a Region 1 DVD though was it not? Which it what got me excited as to thinking it was available on DVD. Where did you get the pic from? Yeah i saw those Vids on ebay, can't play NTSC unfortunately

Try Blue Underground's web site it might be on there books now.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

Post #: 184
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 20/10/2008 1:58:07 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Has anyone seen Reeker 2? I didn't even know there was a 2nd one until i saw it on the shelves last week.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 185
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 20/10/2008 6:24:26 PM   
The REAL Bozz

I havent but I have heard it's meant to be very good. Why don't you buy it and tell us all about it? Lol. It is meant to be good though. I'll tell you what I did watch and I enjoyed it...Return To Sleepaway Camp. I have never seen the original, only the non-official part 2 and 3 but this new one is meant to be the true sequel. Pretty inventive if a bit...cheap.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

Post #: 186
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 21/10/2008 3:15:08 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I'll have it soon, it's just being a little.... slow shall we say. I still haven't seen Reeker yet. I'm waiting for both of them to finish then i'll post my thoughts!

2nd purchases of Hills Have Eyes 2 and Hostel 2 at lunchtime today. I wasn't even that crazy about either movie and of course its debatable that either qualify as a slasher but i thought I'd give them a re-run.

One movie franchise that did come to mind which i feel qualifies are the Jeepers Creepers movies. I mean, for all intensive purposes, that are definitely slasher movies.

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 187
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 27/10/2008 12:15:59 PM   
Sleazy

well I watched Mandy Lane last night on the recomendation, twas ok I saw the twist coming miles away though.

I've seen worse... speaking of which I also watched Outpost last night. "Its Nazi zombie! - what could possibly go wrong" I thought.

a lot it would seem, a lot.  

Gamertag: Sleazycome

PSN ID: Sleazytoon

Post #: 188
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 28/10/2008 8:14:39 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I really need to plug Storm Warning. Directed by Jamie Blanks (Urban Legend, Valentine, two movies that i really enjoy) it concerns a couple who go out boating and due to an oncoming storm end up stranded on a small island where they stumble across a house and its 3 occupants, an old man and his 2 twisted sons. It's a little slow from the offset but it really kicks in and has some FANTASTIC kills, and i mean fantastic. I was howling with laughter at the inventiveness of them. Highly recommended.

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/5217024/Storm-Warning-Extreme-Edition/Product.html

Just 4.99 on Play, hihly recommended.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 189
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 5/11/2008 10:40:34 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

my poor slasher movie thread is losing steam, sob, no one cares anymore!!!

Post #: 190
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 13/11/2008 10:25:39 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

so i saw Boogeyman 2 the other day, the sequel to the Sam Raimi produced remake. It was pretty good and definitely much more of a clear cut slasher, unlike the movie that preceeded it.

Post #: 191
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 23/11/2008 11:02:27 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Fangoria reviewed Boogyman 2 and said it was distinctly average but the review was raveing about the lead actress. They go on about how she is one of the most believable final girls in the slasher genre for the past decade or somthing silly like that. I just thought how random that was. Maybe she is but I doubt it from the trailer I saw.

I tried to see My Bloody Valantine last night. See what all the fuss was about but I couldn't get ahold of it. Good news to fans of that film, in January to coincide with the release of the remake Lionsgate are rereleaseing the original in it's full uncut glory with all the cut scenes reedited into the movie.

I know comics won't be everyone's cup of tea but I gotta give props to Devils Due who are right now publish the Halloween comics. The writing is phenomenal, if only the films were as good. Right now the first collection is out as a graphic novel Halloween: Nighdance and it continues on from Ressurection only omitting plot points and characters from that film. (All of these are seen as cannon by the Akked clan). Next up was the Halloween: 30th Anniverseary one shot which feature several neat stories. The current arc is genious, Halloween: The First Death of Laurie Strode which takes place a year after the original film and shows us how Laurie and the town of Haddonfield is copeing after the massacre the Halloween before. Its all awsome stuff and worth a read for any slasher fan.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

Post #: 192
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 26/11/2008 6:52:51 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

It's truly excellent news about MBV. This adds a little to what you said:

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=8618

Post #: 193
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 26/11/2008 6:53:33 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: The REAL Bozz

Fangoria reviewed Boogyman 2 and said it was distinctly average but the review was raveing about the lead actress. They go on about how she is one of the most believable final girls in the slasher genre for the past decade or somthing silly like that. I just thought how random that was. Maybe she is but I doubt it from the trailer I saw.

I'll have to rewatch it, i can barely remember her! lol

Post #: 194
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 26/11/2008 7:13:42 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Kurtwood I wanna see this My Bloody Valantine now. You really rate it don't u? I never bothered as a lot of sites pegg it as a average Canadian riff on Friday and Halloween. Nothing special. I'm gonna try and see this tonight!  What did you think of the trailer for the remake? I thought it looked better than the original. lol

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

Post #: 195
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 26/11/2008 10:00:48 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

well it's easily in my top ten all time slashers. It's amazing and really a high point in the early 80's wave. It's up there with the best IMHO. The trailer for the new one looks great and Jensen Ackles is a great choice for the main character. 

Post #: 196
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 1/12/2008 6:00:09 PM   
The REAL Bozz

My Boody Valantine SPOILERS

Impressive and to be honest I never thought it would be. It starts off well and then kind of plods along at a laid back pace. A group of young fella's workin, drinkin and fighting over girls. Then the last act kicks in and wow. I enjoyed it.

The only part that annoyed me, although it was amuseing was how the lead girl was actually pushing her best friend, the brunette in front of her like a human shield during the last ten min. That poor girl....she defo served her purpose taking a blow with a pic axe like a champ.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

Post #: 197
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 2/12/2008 11:07:47 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

aha I'm glad you enjoyed, it's really great and deserving of its 'classic slasher' status. It's the perfect slasher movie as it has all the cliches (before they were cliches), likeable characters, a great villain, quality production values and hey, hopefully with the release of MBV 3D, a re-release containing the excised gore!

Watched Rush Week for the first time in many years last night. Campus/ college set slasher movie. I used to hate it but i loved it last night.

In case anybody is interested, I'm still planning on doing my review thingy although rather than one a week it may become one a fortnight. It's really gonna be a regular post urging you to check out hidden or forgotten slasher. I'll include links on where to get em etc. I'll hopefully have the first done before Xmas all being well.

Post #: 198
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 8/12/2008 11:50:25 AM   
Mr E

I saw Black Christmas (1974) for the first time last night. Mightily impressed. It utilizes the killer's POV with heavy breathing and pre-dates Halloween by four years. It also has the killer making obscene phone calls, later films such as When A Stranger Calls and Scream used the same concept. Is Black Christmas the first modern Slasher? It's very funny too.

Post #: 199
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 8/12/2008 12:36:37 PM   
CRAZYLIXX

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr E

I saw Black Christmas (1974) for the first time last night. Mightily impressed. It utilizes the killer's POV with heavy breathing and pre-dates Halloween by four years. It also has the killer making obscene phone calls, later films such as When A Stranger Calls and Scream used the same concept. Is Black Christmas the first modern Slasher? It's very funny too.

Yeah Black Christmas is total class. Unfortunately Director Bob Clark and his son were both killed by a drink driver last year, big shame. I'd deffo say its the first true modern slasher, but the genre was defined better by Halloween and then Friday the 13th.

(in reply to Mr E)
Post #: 200
UNSUNG SLASHERS AWARENESS: TOURIST TRAP - 10/12/2008 6:07:10 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

In my usual lazy way, I'm gonna try and start my 'unsung slashers awareness' thing tonight. The point of these posts will be to get you slasher fans watching some gems that you may not have seen, or ever heard of!

First up is the 1979 Slasher, Tourist Trap. The movie I'd compare it most to is the remake of House of Wax (a movie i loved), with the whole wax/ mannequin connection and a few other bits. It's got good production values, a great cast, a great setting, a wonderful atmosphere and a truly memorable killer. I am posting the link to the Hysteria Lives review of Tourist Trap by justin Kerswell. Here: http://www.hysteria-lives.co.uk/hysterialives/Hysteria/tourist_trap.html

there is a region 1 DVD out there, which i do not own yet, i just have the british VHS big box. You can find it on ebay still, but it is somewhat of a minor rarity. I'd recommend trying to get your hands on the Region 1 DVD.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tourist-Trap-Region-NTSC/dp/1573471046/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1228932199&sr=1-1

There are some examples there.

I'd really recommend this movie, it's ever so slightly different for a slasher, maintaining an 'old fashioned' horror movie feel, with scares and sequences evident of the late 70's early 80's run of slashers. It also feels a bit like Just Before dawn, although i can't put my finger on exactly why this is so. Check it out, see what you think and let me know!

Post #: 201
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 10/12/2008 6:24:13 PM   
zcarstheme

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Has anyone seen Reeker 2? I didn't even know there was a 2nd one until i saw it on the shelves last week.

Blagged my way into a buyer's screening at Cannes, despite not actually being a potential buyer. It was the only such screening I attended all festival that had more than 50% of the audience still present at the end of the screening.. Usually about 75% leave within the first ten minutes once they've worked out that they won't be buying.

In other words, Reeker 2 works. I thought it was a shitload better than the original, with a whole bunch of interesting imagery.

Yup, it gets the ZC recommendation.

http://www.jinx.co.uk - Fiercely independent horror filmmaking

Post #: 202
RE: UNSUNG SLASHERS AWARENESS: TOURIST TRAP - 10/12/2008 9:25:35 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

sounds good, i've still got it, just haven't watched it yet. Will do soon. 

Post #: 203
RE: UNSUNG SLASHERS AWARENESS: TOURIST TRAP - 15/12/2008 7:48:47 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I wonder if we could set up a list of Christmas related slashers. There are probably not too many!

Black Christmas
Black Christmas Remake
To All A Goodnight
Silent Night, Deadly Night
Don't Open Till Christmas

Post #: 204
RE: UNSUNG SLASHERS AWARENESS: TOURIST TRAP - 17/12/2008 10:23:31 AM   
zcarstheme

The "And All Through The House" episode of Tales from the Crypt got a cinema release in the UK, so that sorta counts.

Haven't had the chance to check Santa's Slay or Santa Claws yet, so not sure how closely they fit the bill...

http://www.jinx.co.uk - Fiercely independent horror filmmaking

Post #: 205
RE: UNSUNG SLASHERS AWARENESS: TOURIST TRAP - 18/12/2008 4:25:04 PM   
wgamador

I just wanted to share some holiday cheer for the film ..........

No! Dont help Santa!!!!

Ho! Ho! Ho!

I was 11 years old when I went to the theatres to see this. My mother's cousin was staying with us and he was old enough to get me in the theatre. I think he came out more traumatized than me.
But yes, the movie did affect me though. My young eyes had not seen images like the ones i posted above. Santa raping a woman at knife point, a kid being decapitated while sledding....etc.
It wasnt so much that Santa was killing people, it was the fact that i was watching on-screen cold blooded murder for teh first time. Undoubtably, this film started my love for Slasher films.........
So thank you SNDN!

Nice picture 'atta boy kid, no psychological problems there.

Woooooooooooooo!!!!

Jingle Bells ...indeed. 

"And as he, who with laboring breath has escaped from the deep
to the shore, turns to the perilous waters and gazes..."

(in reply to zcarstheme)
Post #: 206
RE: UNSUNG SLASHERS AWARENESS: TOURIST TRAP - 19/12/2008 9:34:58 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Yeah!!!! The only way I've seen this movie is a Dutch (if i recall) dubbed VHS. I've never actually seen it in English. Tried ordering the region 1 from amazon a few months ago and the company couldn't get their act together so had to refund me. I really wanna get that DVD still. Got Silent Night, Deadly Night 2 on VHS also and that uses about 3/4 of the footage from the first movie anyway

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 207
RE: UNSUNG SLASHERS AWARENESS: TOURIST TRAP - 19/12/2008 10:14:01 AM   
CORLEONE

To you all you slasher film lovers; if you fancy reading a slasher book you've got to give Richard Laymon a whirl. I'm amazed none of his works has been adapted for screen. Here's a few I recommend:

Island
One Rainy Night
Quake
Blood Games
Dark Mountain
The Woods Are Dark
The Lake

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

Post #: 208
RE: UNSUNG SLASHERS AWARENESS: TOURIST TRAP - 19/12/2008 11:27:55 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

To you all you slasher film lovers; if you fancy reading a slasher book you've got to give Richard Laymon a whirl. I'm amazed none of his works has been adapted for screen. Here's a few I recommend:

Island
One Rainy Night
Quake
Blood Games
Dark Mountain
The Woods Are Dark
The Lake

Couldn't agree more Corleone. I've been tempted to attempt a script of one of his books, i love his writing so much. All of the above books are excellent, particularly Island, one of my favourite novels of all time.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 209
RE: UNSUNG SLASHERS AWARENESS: TOURIST TRAP - 19/12/2008 12:00:34 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

Island
One Rainy Night
Quake
Blood Games
Dark Mountain
The Woods Are Dark
The Lake

Couldn't agree more Corleone. I've been tempted to attempt a script of one of his books, i love his writing so much. All of the above books are excellent, particularly Island, one of my favourite novels of all time.

Not a bad idea that! I may even look into it myself. Can't believe there hasn't been a single adaptation, escpecially as remakes are the only ideas Hollywood seem to be having at the moment.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI