Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 13/8/2008 10:42:52 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

Maniac is class, and whilst it does qualify, i do think of it as on the very fringe of slasherdom.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 121
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 13/8/2008 10:47:29 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: The REAL Bozz

To be fair Donnovan Terror Train is pretty "Oh seems good.....hang on.....zzzzzzzzzzzzz"

It rules. A l.ittle too much time is spent on David Copperfield, but come on man, a slasher movie set on a train!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so cool!

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 122
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 13/8/2008 10:49:17 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Hey has anyone seen The Pool? An extremely enjoyable slasher from 1999/2000 or thereabouts. Starring a young James Mcavoy, Isla Fisher and a really great cast as they party away their graduation after breaking into a swimming pool. Set in Prague, it's superb. Really enjoyable characters, a great setting and not a trace of irony to be found. One of my favourites from the last ten years

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 123
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 13/8/2008 11:45:35 PM   
tommyjarvis

I've heard of it, although I don't know if I've ever seen all of it. Isn't there a bit where someone slides down a water slide and gets bisected with a knife?

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

Post #: 124
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 14/8/2008 10:09:31 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Yeah that's the one. Where did you hear about that scene then? You can buy it dirt cheap on dvd anywhere, try amazon second hand or play.com new. WELL worth checking out.

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 125
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 14/8/2008 5:00:30 PM   
The REAL Bozz

The Pool is brilliant. Really good characters, nasty kills and some surprises in the climax. The scene in the ventalation shafts was class. Although the girl who pops up alive and well at the end must be a robot to have survived her earlier encounter with the killer....still class. Oh and Kurtwood I emailed you my masterpiece.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

Post #: 126
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 14/8/2008 8:20:58 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

Maniac is class, and whilst it does qualify, i do think of it as on the very fringe of slasherdom.

Very true there's a very fine CUT between a Slasher and a run of the mill horror gore movie's,but Gallio movies like Tenebre,New York Ripper fall into both these sub genre very neatly.There's a lot of cross overs in the field of Horror,but the main ingerinets in a Slasher are Psycho's,Knives,Gore and some female interest.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

Post #: 127
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 19/8/2008 6:41:55 AM   
Halloweenfreak

This film blow me away the first time I watched it, the scene when he blows Tom Savini's head off I was like  I'm a Savini fan so I couldn't believe they done that lol.
The ending where the women get there revenge was awesome cause I love it when the situation changes and the women become insain and visously kill him...great ending I love it.

Just watched the remake of 'Black X-Mas' now I really like that film

"I met this 6 year old child with this blank, pale emtionless face and the blackest eyes...the Devils eyes"- Dr.Loomis 'Halloween'

"These are the eyes of a Psychopath"

Whoa Dream Big- Juno

Post #: 128
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 21/8/2008 8:20:17 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

This will keep any slasher fan happy,a nice take on the 80's slasher movies with it's own nasty twisted story line.A killer with a ronald Regan mask on a killing spree in a hippy camp,and it's so much fun to watch.

this is sat on top of my dvd player and i should be watching it tonight, looking forward to it

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 129
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 21/8/2008 8:42:21 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

This will keep any slasher fan happy,a nice take on the 80's slasher movies with it's own nasty twisted story line.A killer with a ronald Regan mask on a killing spree in a hippy camp,and it's so much fun to watch.

this is sat on top of my dvd player and i should be watching it tonight, looking forward to it

I'll be surprised if you don't love this brillant new take on the Slasher movie,maybe even a part 2-3-4-5 just kidding,but it is excellent.ENJOY!!!

Post #: 130
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 22/8/2008 1:31:35 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

well it's certainly different. I did really enjoy it, but i prefer my slasher movies without the political and somewhat psychadelic elements that this movie featured. Basically, i prefer my slashers more traditional. But this was very enjoyable.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 131
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 24/8/2008 10:30:43 AM   
The REAL Bozz

25/8

I have the script....

First off in case you guys don't know this is the first original script Wes Craven has written since New Nightmare. It's going to be his new film for Rogue pictures and he's just editing the movie now. It's a slasher and it's about a dead guy who returns (or does he?) to seek revenge on the teen's of a small American town. Now Craven stated at Comic con that this is the best work he has ever done. After reading the amazing opening sequence I can say this may be the case. However I'm not going into spoilers or asking any questions relateing  to spoilers. Just to let u know I got the script and I'll put up a non spoiler review when I finish.

I just finished it.

The script starts off amazing. Some awsome stuff and the story and the ideas are just awsome, like Elm Street awsome in the originality. The teens are all likeable. You love them all and give a shit. Kind of like the gang in Dream Warriors. They are all fleshed out and likeable and most importantly you don't wanna see any of them die. Which brings me to my first main issue. You kind of don't. Don't get me wrong, a shit load of people get killed but the majority are off screen. Now I'm not even talking SMG/Ryan Phillipe IKWUDLS off screen. I mean the character leaves a scene and then two scenes later someone stumbles onto a body. No chase scene/nadda. Very frustrateing as it really would have elevated the script. When the one or two deaths happen on screen ( I mean one or two sadly) they are nasty, Craven as his best.

Another major issue was the lead female. She kind of gradually gets introduced into the film after a important set up in the begining. Then somehow manages to go through the film with no interaction with the main threat or horror elements. Comepletly pointless and leading nowhere. Don't be alarmed though, it's not a spoiler, the main focus is Bug.

This will be the only story info I give out. Basically a happily married man begins hearing voices. He has multiple personality disorder. However we learn he is open about this with his doctor and he and his voices get along fine, co existing. Then one night he hears a new voice. To sum up we learn he is the Riverdale slasher who has been murdering women around the area. The man freaks out and resolves, along with his good inner voices, to turn himself in. The voice of the slasher then forces him to murder his wife who is pregnent and attempt to kill his four year old daughter. By a mircale the unborn baby is saved. At the exact same moment six other women go into premature labor and thus the legend is set up. The Riverdale seven will be killed by their 15th birthdays as the Riverdale slasher returns for vegence. The gist is the seven children born that night all were actually each of the different personalities or 'souls' living within the father. The slasher will return to kill them all for decideing to turn him in. It's a great set up and has elemetns of Scream, Elm Street and even the Wicker Man.

Like I say the characters are all amazeing and each could easily be a lead. No filler here. You got...

Bug - The baby saved from the begining. He is innocent and a bit slow
Alex -Bugs best mate. A joker.
Brandon - The bullying jock
Jay - The geek
Jerome - Blind a musically gifted
Brittany - One of the 'It' girls at school
Penelope - She is a hysterically funny religious girl. Has some of the best dialogue in the entire film.

Obviously I won't give away who lives, who dies and who the killer is but it's awsome and nothing goes down like you'd expect.

When all is said and done I pains me to say the lack of the more generic slasher elements. I.E chase scenes, build up of threat etc really do hurt the film and I gotta say so much so I'd say this will be a solid Craven film but it could have been, I shit you not, up there with Elm Street. The idea is that good. It's let down by what I already mentioned and some poor pay offs on the later parts but ya never know maybe some things have changed. The film is due for release some time next spring. It will be a hard R for what little violence does happen on screen.

< Message edited by The REAL Bozz -- 24/8/2008 12:49:53 PM >

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

Post #: 132
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 24/8/2008 2:19:02 PM   
Halloweenfreak

Thats so cool man.

I'm into writing horror/slasher scripts as my long life dream is to be a horror film writer and director.
I'm in the middle of my first true script for a short half n'hour 'Creepshow' styled filmed and the first story is a slasher called 'The Beautiful People' a sort of 'Jason Voorhees' type killer deformed and wearing a maask knocking off the intruders who are attempting to kill his family. More to be updated when completed

Last night I watched several slasher films...including

'John Carpenter's Halloween' on DVD
'Freddy Vs. Jason' on FilmFour
& Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 on DVD

I was watching these whilst kicking some ass with my script

"I met this 6 year old child with this blank, pale emtionless face and the blackest eyes...the Devils eyes"- Dr.Loomis 'Halloween'

Whoa Dream Big- Juno

Post #: 133
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 24/8/2008 7:27:31 PM   
tommyjarvis

Quite appropriate you posted that, since tomorrow is the 25th August [25/8]. I don't think the lack of traditional slasher staples will necessarily do it any harm, since otherwise we're just watching the same stuff over and over. Also, I don't see the problem with offscreen murders - a large portion of the characters in the original Friday the 13th get their's offscreen [four, if I remember correctly]. In the slasher script I wrote, most of the characters get killed offscreen - it adds an extra air of mystery to proceedings.

(in reply to Halloweenfreak)
Post #: 134
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 25/8/2008 10:54:43 AM   
The REAL Bozz

Well Tommy in that case you will probably love 25/8. Although that kind of suspense isn't really effective for me. I say it works better in thrillers or in Miss Marple on ITV.  It's true what you say about the original Friday but I can forgive that.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

Post #: 135
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 25/8/2008 8:00:39 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Well Tommy in that case you will probably love 25/8. Although that kind of suspense isn't really effective for me. I say it works better in thrillers or in Miss Marple on ITV.  It's true what you say about the original Friday but I can forgive that.

Slasher Movie's need the killings on screen other wise they are just thrillers,and imagine what Halloween,The Burning etc would have looked without murders on screen.
Watched this last night again,you guy's should give it ago.

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 136
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 25/8/2008 9:14:31 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Exactly Evil Bill.

I won't be watching Inside. My mate has it and I know all about it and the ending. It sounds a bit too much for me mate. Don't like the really dark stuff.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 137
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 25/8/2008 10:42:39 PM   
tommyjarvis

quote:

quote:

Well Tommy in that case you will probably love 25/8. Although that kind of suspense isn't really effective for me. I say it works better in thrillers or in Miss Marple on ITV. It's true what you say about the original Friday but I can forgive that.

Slasher Movie's need the killings on screen other wise they are just thrillers,and imagine what Halloween,The Burning etc would have looked without murders on screen.

You think? Halloween may have onscreen murders but they're hardly graphic. There's a lot to be said for slasher films which leave the actual deaths offscreen and just have a gruesome corpse show up out of nowhere. Adds to the shock effect anyway.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 138
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 26/8/2008 9:53:33 AM   
The REAL Bozz

I know what u mean Tommy but IMO I think it's a trick that should be used once or twice at the most in slasher. After that it's not effective imo mate. What do I know though? Haha, I just post about slasher on a film board!

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

Post #: 139
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 26/8/2008 8:36:31 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: tommyjarvis

quote:

quote:

Well Tommy in that case you will probably love 25/8. Although that kind of suspense isn't really effective for me. I say it works better in thrillers or in Miss Marple on ITV. It's true what you say about the original Friday but I can forgive that.

You think? Halloween may have onscreen murders but they're hardly graphic. There's a lot to be said for slasher films which leave the actual deaths offscreen and just have a gruesome corpse show up out of nowhere. Adds to the shock effect anyway.

Yeah see where your coming from,but like The Real Bozz say's only once or twice pull back otherwise you end up with a killer not a psycho,which is the main menu of a slasher movie.

Post #: 140
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 26/8/2008 8:43:52 PM   
wgamador

Beno/Wags supports all slasher flicks and their #1 FANS!!!!!!!
From Halloween to The Wedding Slashers!!!

If any others come to "Campaign" we will leave them in Blood Stains!!!!!

VOTE BENO/WAGS!!! in 2008

Thank You!

"And as he, who with laboring breath has escaped from the deep
to the shore, turns to the perilous waters and gazes..."

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 141
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 26/8/2008 8:57:35 PM   
tommyjarvis

Now that's a campaign I can get behind. Although Funky's and Bubba's does have boobies...

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 142
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 26/8/2008 9:04:44 PM   
wgamador

quote:

ORIGINAL: tommyjarvis

Now that's a campaign I can get behind. Although Funky's and Bubba's does have boobies...

Oh, we have you covered, TommyJarvis!!!

< Message edited by wgamador -- 26/8/2008 9:42:50 PM >

"And as he, who with laboring breath has escaped from the deep
to the shore, turns to the perilous waters and gazes..."

Post #: 143
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 26/8/2008 11:48:51 PM   
tommyjarvis

Sold. My "political" views are very malleable

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 144
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 27/8/2008 6:59:05 PM   
Halloweenfreak

Just watched 'Motel Hell' god I love that film its been several months since I lasted watched it so it was awesome to check it out again. I'm just bout to watch 'Madman' and 'Friday the 13th part 7- The New Blood'

Whoa Dream Big- Juno

Post #: 145
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 27/8/2008 8:47:02 PM   
evil bill

Jamie Lee Curtis has to be the scream queen of slasher movies,i mean HALLOWEEN,Halloween 2,Prom Night,Terror Train,Road Games and of course H2O which was the last good Halloween story.

Post #: 146
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 28/8/2008 3:49:29 PM   
goonie 4eva

Jamie lee IS THE SCREAM QUEEN uv gotta love Prom Night! Must admit thou Neve Campbell was doing a good job in scream....bit once sided thou being a Scream fan.wat do u think of Killer Klowns From Outer Space lol. and New York Ripper?

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 147
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 28/8/2008 6:14:20 PM   
Halloweenfreak

I got my 'Cheerleader Camp' today so I'm gonna watch that and let you know what I think

Whoa Dream Big- Juno

(in reply to goonie 4eva)
Post #: 148
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 28/8/2008 7:41:25 PM   
evil bill

Here's a review done by a certain fan,ot THE NEW YORK RIPPER

Dr Lenera

titleAndStar(825,0,0,false,"","")
Empire Elite

THE NEW YORK RIPPER
In New York,somebody is gorily killing off young,sexually active young women.  Lieutenant Williams,who is often taunted on the phone by the duck voiced killer,enlists the help of a chess playing professor,Dr Davis,to help him catch the maniac.  When a young woman,Fay,is menaced in the underground by a two fingered gigolo,Mikos,Williams thinks he has his man.  Then Mikos turns up dead with a polystyrene bag over his head and Williams reveives a phonecall from the duck voiced psychopath,saying he has William's girlfriend .......

The New York Ripper is an extremely controversial movie,especially in the UK.  When the film came to the BBFC in 1981,they thought it was so horrid they had the print escorted out of the country by armed guards.  Mind you,the distirbutors didn't help themselves with their poster which announced  FULVIA FILM PROUDLY PRESENTS-THE NEW YORK RIPPER-SLASHING UP WOMEN WAS HIS PLEASURE!   It was never released in any form in the UK until a couple of months ago and it's still cut!

Well,is it actually any good?   It's not really one of Fulci's best films like The Beyond or A Lizard In A Woman's Skin,but is still a cut above exploitation slashers of the time and certainly more interesting.   Fulci always has a really cynical view of humanity and it really comes through in this movie.  None of the characters are especially likeable,even the supposed heroine [who,in a typical Fulci quirk,isn't introduced until half way through],and they all seems to have their sordid little secrets.  The cop 'hero' is so dislikeable that when the Ripper has his hooker girlfriend,he seems more bothered about his colleagues finding out he was seeing this woman rather than her getting murdered.  This,the film's enveloping sleaze,and Fulci's adoption of a more realistic style than,say,Dario Argento,means that the film isn't always that enjoyable but it's fascinating and does have some great set pieces such as an almost surreal nightmare scene in a cinema and a truly queasy suspense sequence when a woman wakes up to find herself tied to a bed by the killer.  The numerous exterior Big Apple shots almost make you believe the whole film was shot there and Jack Hedley is a convincing,hardbitten cop 'hero'.

As for the violence,well, Fulci has actually made bloodier films but usually they were more fantastical.  New York Ripper's more realistic feel makes the brutality nastier.  The slashings are disturbingly realistic,and although a bottle up the crotch moment is thankfully shown in half light,the [often cut]  scene where the Ripper razors a woman's breast and eye really is hard to watch.  And this is without mentioning the toe rape scene  [my wife actually watched this one with me and found that scene the worst!].   I wouldn't say the film is that misogynist really -the more lasting impression is that is a city drowning under it's own filth and grime.

Despite all the cynicism,the violence and the sordidness,New York Ripper does end quite movingly,with a literal cry for help.  It has some silly aspects,such as the explanation for the killer's motive  ["somehow the duck snapped in his mind"],and I don't think the 'Rocky' style theme music fits but that was probably the idea. As said,it isn't especially entertaining,but is still essential viewing for horror and exploitation cinema fans.

More of these on  LUCIO FULCI The Godfater Of Gore thread here's a link.
http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=1874398

Post #: 149
RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - 28/8/2008 11:54:21 PM   
goonie 4eva

yeah i really liked it!! have you seen the movie "what have you done to your daughters"? i watched it a few weeks ago wasnt that impressed at all!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: THE SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI