Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Mamma Mia!!!!!!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Mamma Mia!!!!!!!! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mamma Mia!!!!!!!! - 9/11/2008 6:18:16 PM   
LukeVlad

Mamma Mia is a truely brilliant musical and I would recommend it to everyone! Abba's songs are brilliant and they are probably the most succesful band ever. I am sorry to some of the actors but the voices of Abba was a bit better but overall, a brilliant, hillarious, nice and light hearted musical!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 91
Mamma Mia! - 20/11/2008 1:33:48 PM   
Danni

Here’s a word of warning, leave any shred of serious sensibility at the door for this one because take it from me it won’t survive the unapologetic cornfest that is Mamma Mia!

From a distance, i.e. during the opening credits, Mamma Mia! looks and sounds like quite an entertaining, punchy, bunch of fun. However, fast-forward 108 minutes and you’ll most likely be singing a very different tune. Or at the very least find yourself complaining to your cinema companion that you’ll never again, from this moment on be able to listen to another ABBA track without being haunted by the painfully shrill, Karaokesque attempts of Meryl Streep and Pierce Brosnan taking a stab at overriding what can only be described as tone deafness. It is my personal opinion that both should seriously consider firing their management teams, because someone in each of their clique’s is an out an out jobs worth and telling them porky pies, the fact of the matter is they can’t sing.

Even though the story is for the most part irrelevant, it would be unfair to say that there is no plotline whatsoever. There is. It is just very skewed and very flimsy. Let me enlighten you, Meryl Streep plays Donna, a woman apparently in her forties but with no disrespect to Streep, doesn’t look far off from her real life fifty nine years. Once a bit of a wild thing in her heyday, she is now a struggling single mother, running a rather glorious albeit rundown B&B in Greece. And the real dramatic cruncher is that her 20-year-old, bride-to-be daughter Sophie has unbeknown to her invited her three potential fathers to the big day. All of which, despite the fact that twenty years has past since their little dalliances, ahem one-night stands with Donna, have decided to drop everything and hop on a plane to Greece. Talk about loyal old flames. Only In the movies, huh?

The lack of story and miscasting is unfortunately not the only malfunction that is Mamma Mia! I know ABBA once crooned, Thank You For The Music but I think they took it a little too far. To offset the fact that the plot is rail thin, director Phyllida Lloyd, a leading UK theatre and opera director, has decided to awkwardly hang just about ever hit that ABBA released so that what it boils down to is a half baked musical soundtrack with very happy looking people bouncing around the screen.

Good points you ask? Well the Greek Island does look beautiful, definitely a postcard for tourism… and there is no denying that the feelgood factor is unrelenting…

Check out Entertainment Newsline!

Post #: 92
(Camp)letely Awful!! - 29/11/2008 11:22:54 AM   
moviemaniac2

Let's get something right from the off - the plot is not based on or around Abba tunes; the first line of the song is indeed a kick-start from what someone has just said, but the rest of the song's lyrics do not fit. There's no finer example for this than The Winner Takes It All: Brosnan wants to talk about his potential parentage with Streep but she responds, 'I donâ&#128;&#153;t want to talk' and cue song. That's all fine and well , but when it gets to the chorus the song makes absolutely no sense at all. We're watching Brosnan standing there, thinking 'Eh, what's all this about winners, losers, gods, dice and taking it all? I just want to find out if I'm Sophieâ&#128;&#153;s dad.' The nonsense doesn't stop there: There's no chemistry between anyone, the whole cast looks like they're being forced to have fun (like a hen night in Temple Bar) and they managed to make a beautiful location look fake. It's a complete shambles of a movie that somehow has become the biggest film of the year, and I cant see how...... its awful.

Post #: 93
Feel-Good Romantic Musical. - 30/11/2008 9:44:40 AM   
joanna likes films

I am a fan of ABBA since I was a little girl and loved their romantic and feel-good songs. Then there was the hype of Mamma Mia, becoming a fast-selling film of 2008 and I just had to see it to listen to the songs and how these top people can sing it. Can they? Yes they can. My mum wasn't really intrested so she fell asleep so it was just me and my sister dancing and humming to the words. The film dosn't have anything harsh other than some sexual reffecenes and mild bad words but it's worth for kids to see. Meryl Streep was brilliant, showing enomtion in the "Winner Takes It All", her girl friends Julie Walters and Christine Baranski were great at their "Dancing Queen" number and the young couple Amanda Seyfield and Dominc Cooper were fine though Cooper was badly stiff and couldn't really act to save his life. But it's the men that are the real picture, Colin Firth, Pierce Brosan and Stellan Skarsgard, are just the right choice for the three hopeful fathers. Though they arent the best singers in the world, they can dance and look like they are having the time of their lives. It's a brilliant feel-good romantic musical, if you love ABBA and singing that this is for you. It is seriously recommended to see no matter how old you are.

Post #: 94
RE: Feel-Good Romantic Musical. - 1/12/2008 2:13:10 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

After about 10 minutes of watching this I wanted to stick a boot through the screen but once I'd been plied with booze and calmed down I found myself actually quite enjoying it. The classic ABBA tunes and gorgeous sunny look of the whole thing certainly exude a feel-good positivity and all in all it turned out to be good fun.

The songs mostly fit really well with the plot and only once did I really feel a scene was contrived to shoehorn one in. The ladies involved can all adequately carry a tune without detracting from the spectacle but the biggest problem by far is the singing of Pierce Brosnan and Colin Firth.

Brosnan is just a crap singer and it's as simple as that but Firth sounds wrong - I mean seriously wrong. Is it a man, is it a woman or something in between? I think it's commendable that they wanted all the actors to sing their own parts, but I think these two guys should have been overdubbed to save the audience the pain of having to listen to them.

Overall much better than I expected it would be

(in reply to joanna likes films)
Post #: 95
I was wrong - 5/12/2008 11:35:31 PM   
spidersim

An Abba fan since birth i thought how can anybody sing abba songs as good as the real thing???how wrong i was...If yu don't enjoy this film, there is something seriously wrong with you....A triple a cast who make fun of themselves...no car chases,murders,stabbings...just great,great fun from start to end..It's the only time(i was in Downtown Disney cinema)i've seen people up dancing in the aisles...but what a great movie...no doubt

Post #: 96
- 28/12/2008 11:32:09 PM   
willchadwick

It's camp, badly acted, undesiciplined in its direction, Colin Firth can't dance or sing or act, Pierce Brosnan can't dance or sing or act and the plot is so thin they have to fit ABBA songs around it to try make it look coherent. And with all that, Mamma Mia! is brilliant.

Post #: 97
Fun! - 29/12/2008 3:27:40 PM   
fraser1978

If you watch this film without cracking a smile and dont feel warm inside then you are not human!

Brosnan is an idiot - I loved him in it!

Post #: 98
Fun! - 29/12/2008 3:27:41 PM   
fraser1978

If you watch this film without cracking a smile and dont feel warm inside then you are not human!

Brosnan is an idiot - I loved him in it!

Post #: 99
Never let me see this again!!!! - 31/12/2008 12:46:15 AM   
The Voice of Fate

What a terrible amateur movie!! Generally a stunning cast who all seem to have been given no direction except to imagine they are in an amateur panto.

Particular note for the young female lead - very strong in Victoria Mara - who here is unwatchable smug, coy and cutsie pie - with lots of silent mugging and eye rolling when she has no lines.

Really, tremendously bad. I was embarassed for the stars.

Post #: 100
HAVE I MISSED SOMETHING!!?!?!?! - 1/1/2009 12:21:15 PM   
danclay77

Sorry - but to quote Simon Pegg - "AM I GOING COMPLETELY MAD?!" how on earth has this piece of tripe, excreted from the bowels of some appalling musical become such a hit - is the world we live in so bad that to escape it we find it fun to endure Pierce Brosnan acting as if he was in a school boy choir! What does it say about our society when such drivel becomes the highest grossing film of all time - probably it is watched by the same people who rush to install Leon Jackson or Steve Brookstien as singing heavyweights of the world - PEOPLE - go see good films, made bu hard working and insighful directors and leave this shit to the teens!
In the words of one fo the best films of the year - where is our credibility - GONE, BABY, GONE!

Post #: 101
- 8/1/2009 5:19:49 PM   
AJS

Fantastic! for once, you can see the fun that the actor's had on set transferring through the screen right to my seat at home

Post #: 102
Mamma Mia! - 12/4/2009 5:12:19 PM   
jncorbett

Great fun. Heterosexual male here who proudly admits to finding this a complete laugh.

Post #: 103
- 27/4/2009 10:14:44 PM   
TheGodfather

Watched it again in the bus on the way back from Paris:

On the second viewing it still stands. Uber wrong of course and way over the top but it does exactly what you expect from a movie like this: entertain.
Highly enjoyable and the lyrics of the songs fit excellent. Really well done!

7,5/10

Post #: 104
- 6/11/2009 2:35:47 PM   
FanaticalAboutFilm

Great summer movie - cheers you up, plays in Greece and has Abba in it. And the actors are actually good!

Post #: 105
Feel-good musical which gets it right - 7/4/2010 5:50:43 PM   
djphilips

Mammia Mia is something which I previously thought to be impossible: an official feel-good movie with actual substance. All the actors are very very fine, with the likes of Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan, Stellan Skarsgard and Julie Walters delivering perfect performances. Describing the film as sweet will probably put many people off, but it really is sweet. Not too sentimental, mind you, but perfect in pace, tone and atmosphere.
This is probably thanks to the combined efforts of Catherine Johnson and Phyllida Lloyd, No matter how horrible your pesky history with musicals and feel-good movies might be, be sure not to miss this.

Post #: 106
Absolutely terrible - 1/8/2010 4:00:07 PM   
stevolegendbauer

Thought this was terrible. The story goes nowhere, the acting is appalling, especially when you consider Meryl Streep is the lead, the songs are, for the most part, cheery dance mush. The worst part of all though, the singing. You cant put actors in a musical because their good actors. Bar Streep and Seyfried, none of them can sing. AWFUL MOVIE!!!

Post #: 107
Magical Mamma !!! - 17/6/2012 2:54:56 PM   
ryanchallenger

What an Fantastic movie, Before watching this Hairspray was my favorite musical but this might just beat that, Loved the cast and couldn't stop singing all the way through. What a movie - Easily a 5 Star, Absolutely brilliant !!!

Post #: 108
The worst film ever made - 26/1/2014 6:43:16 PM   
onephatnelly

I mean that sincerely. And I've been an Abba fan forever.

< Message edited by onephatnelly -- 26/1/2014 6:45:12 PM >

Post #: 109
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Mamma Mia!!!!!!!! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI