Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: RE:

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RE: - 25/7/2008 1:23:08 PM   
Rebenectomy

I saw this last night and must admit I was very disappointed. I love musicals, on stage and screen, but have no real fixed opinion on Abba (catchy disco, good for a night out but I’m not a die hard by any means), so in many ways I was approaching it from a fairly neutral perspective.

Mostly I had issues with the standard of acting and singing on display. Amanda Seyfried’s performance was good -  polished and professional, but with a fairly stagy feel to it. She acted and sounded like a stage star, which would have been fine, had it not been for the fact that the rest of cast didn’t. She stood out like a sore thumb as Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan and co started to butcher my ears like Mr Blond on a bad day, while the squeals and cackling that was supposed to pass for acting from the remainder of the cast was ghastly. Some serious mis-casting in my opinion. I mean when Meryl Streep says her mother told her not to bother coming back when she found out she was pregnant (Streep is almost 60, that would have made her almost 40 then), - surely that role should have gone to an actress at least 20 years younger for that to make any sense.   

Plus I’ve heard so many people bang on how the songs really fit the plot. Now I haven’t see the stage show to see how that manages it, but there were quite a few very tenuous links in my opinion e.g. Julie Walter’s Take a Chance on Me seemed to have been thrown in as an afterthought, as there was no real relationship development between her and Stellan Skarsgård character to warrant the end number. I suppose the film is shorter than the stage show and that’s why so much of it seems rushed and badly tied up, like a cancelled TVshow that frantically tries to tie up all its loose ends, whether they work or not.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to Stewie_Griffin)
Post #: 61
RE: RE: - 25/7/2008 2:27:33 PM   
DanCurley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

I saw this last night and must admit I was very disappointed.

You got what you deserved

I'd give you my signature, but what would happen if you stole my cheque book? It would be a disaster.

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 62
RE: RE: - 25/7/2008 2:43:31 PM   
Rebenectomy

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanCurley

quote:

I saw this last night and must admit I was very disappointed.

You got what you deserved

Was trying to think of some witty retort, but can’t. You’re right. In fact I’m probably lucky that all I was left with was a feeling of disappointment. That and shame, deep, deep shame.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 63
RE: RE: - 25/7/2008 5:11:34 PM   
DanCurley

Look on the bright side, whatever doesn't kill you can only make you stronger.

I'd give you my signature, but what would happen if you stole my cheque book? It would be a disaster.

Post #: 64
- 27/7/2008 7:37:46 PM   
LettyBIRD

The worst movie I have ever seen, it was like an interminable hen night.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 65
RE: - 27/7/2008 7:40:27 PM   
LettyBIRD

Thank goodness it wasn't just me, I've never cringed with embarassment during a film before!

< Message edited by LettyBIRD -- 27/7/2008 7:41:39 PM >

(in reply to Kev@CTU)
Post #: 66
RE: - 27/7/2008 7:58:48 PM   
DanCurley

quote:

ORIGINAL: LettyBIRD

The worst movie I have ever seen, it was like an interminable hen night.

Is it worse than its musical peer Moonwalker?

(in reply to LettyBIRD)
Post #: 67
RE: RE: - 27/7/2008 8:07:25 PM   
Stewie_Griffin

Nothing is as bad as Moonwalker, It's in it's own league of terribleness. Christ i was 11 when it came out and back then i thought Ghostbusters II was awesome and even i thought Moonwalker sucked balls.

< Message edited by Stewie_Griffin -- 27/7/2008 8:08:06 PM >

Welcome to Sesame Street, kids. Today's word is "Expiation"

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 68
RE: RE: - 27/7/2008 8:13:07 PM   
DanCurley

I'd rather watch Moonwalker than The Blair Witch 2. I'd rather watch a premonition of my own death where I'm being slowed chewed alive by all my zombified loved ones than reopen The Book of Shadows.

I remember once getting a haircut at an Italian barbers and it was so shit the hairdressed muttered "Mamma Mia" under his breath while looking at it. So this film will always remind me of having a shit haircut.

Post #: 69
RE: RE: - 27/7/2008 8:16:37 PM   
Stewie_Griffin

Blaming this movie for your shit haircut? Get me the Daily Mail on the phone. Let's ban this sick filth.

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 70
RE: RE: - 27/7/2008 8:22:19 PM   
Stewie_Griffin

quote:

Julie Walter's Take a Chance on Me seemed to have been thrown in as an afterthought, as there was no real relationship development between her and Stellan Skarsgård character to warrant the end number.

That's a fair point. I'd never thought of that.

Post #: 71
RE: RE: - 27/7/2008 9:25:37 PM   
DanCurley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stewie_Griffin

Blaming this movie for your shit haircut?

Nope, I blame a shiiiiiiiit barber for that... actually, I blame myself, I did ask for a number zero sides and back without any blending in. Looked like a right state (went for a second trim elsewhere to salvage it) 

Thinking of the Abbary era, what ever happened to Rod, Jane & Freddy? I might go and see a musical with them performing in it.

Post #: 72
RE: RE: - 28/7/2008 1:12:10 AM   
LettyBIRD

You might have me there; but it's been a while since I saw Moonwalker, plus I paid to see Mamma Mia so I'm a whole lot more bitter about it.

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 73
RE: RE: - 30/7/2008 3:45:43 PM   
appleby

I have had the misfortune to watch various segments of mamma mia (work in a cinema so have to 'check' screens etc), i have to echo the sentiments expressed here, i have never had a more cringe worthy cinema experience. Embarrassment is the best description of this film, embarrassed for the actors, the audience anyone else that has to endure a minute of this lazy, blandly directed, irritating waste of space. Countless times ive heard the argument, that it great and somehow empowering to see older women singing and dancing and having 'fun', i don't want to sound sexist or even ageist but steep et all come across like right slappers, to put it bluntly. I can't understand why someone like Streep in particular is involved in this. This film baffles and angers me more than any in recent years...and i haven't even seen the whole film (but most of it).

also as pointed out, there are various annoying cultural and age continuity issues, colin Firths character was a punk? Pierce Brosnans a flower power hippy, theres a line about how they dated in the 60's...yet they both dated at a similar time?

The songs are also so clumsily shoe horned into the plot its quite unbelievable, im not sure if the sets are intentionally cheap looking to create some sort of stage show feel... having said all this it sells out almost every screening we do, people leave the cinema with a glow and vow to come back and see it again...

someone explain to me why this film is doing so well? Mark kermode said in his review something like 'its so awful its good', are people watching this ironically? who knows.

(in reply to LettyBIRD)
Post #: 74
RE: RE: - 30/7/2008 4:51:58 PM   
Emyr Thy King

I haven't seen the film, I have an open mind so we'll see. However check out this review by Mark Kermode (link)- hilarious. "SOS!!" 

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 30/7/2008 4:53:11 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to appleby)
Post #: 75
RE: RE: - 30/7/2008 7:09:12 PM   
DanCurley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

I haven't seen the film, I have an open mind so we'll see. However check out this review by Mark Kermode (link)- hilarious. "SOS!!" 

No thanks. He's a twat.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 76
RE: RE: - 30/7/2008 7:19:04 PM   
richCie

i wonder...why is this film so amazingly popular? my local film centre is pretty small and aint often very busy, and yet every showing for mamma mia! has been booked ou, there have been queues halfway down the street with ppl trying 2 get in even tho its already full...its madness down there, but i cant imagine why so many peple from little old wells would want to see it...its busier than hot fuxx ever was, and that was filmed here!
any1 got a reasonable explanation?

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 77
RE: How could you resist this! - 30/7/2008 11:50:15 PM   
LiritLeBoursier

well all i can say about this movie is that merrill streep's singing sounds like a dying whale. the set is beutiful. but compared to the musical it's nothing. not to mention confusing. its okay, but not amazing.

about three stars from me.

"Upset the established order, And everyone loses thier minds!"

Lirit Le Boursier,
Lioness Of Ravens Wings,
The Dark One, Who Rises Above All Else.

(in reply to jamess4851)
Post #: 78
Duplicate Post - 31/7/2008 8:08:58 AM   
greatwhite

Sorry

< Message edited by greatwhite -- 31/7/2008 8:13:25 AM >

Post #: 79
Lighten Up - 31/7/2008 8:09:00 AM   
greatwhite

Relationships between men and women, between girls and their fathers, between mums and daughters, timeless musical numbers every few minutes, sunshine-soaked island hideaways, popular actors like Julie Walters, Meryl Streep, Colin Firth etc etc. Ok, it's not cinematically wonderful but it makes people laugh and gives a bit of escapism - they can go with their daughters, mum's friends, aunties, nans, the next door neighbour and have a good night out. Sometimes you just have to have a Coke and a smile and let things wash over you without pulling it to bits.

You know that it's a hit when people are going more than once to see the same film. This one's going to run and run - and look on the bright side of things, it's sorted all your Christmas presents in one fell swoop.

Happy days!

< Message edited by greatwhite -- 31/7/2008 8:11:13 AM >

Post #: 80
RE: RE: - 31/7/2008 1:07:58 PM   
Stewie_Griffin

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanCurley

No thanks. He's a twat.

I'm not having a go at you Dan but for someone who claims to have no interest in Mamma Mia, You do visit this thread quite a bit don't you?.

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 81
mama mia - 31/7/2008 6:46:23 PM   
andrew peat

took my mother to see this today and found myself tapping my feet and singing along to the songs.help wheres my shrink....seriously what a very good film didnt stop smiling from beginning to end .meryl streep was great as usual.go and see this film you will laugh,cry sing along and come out of cinema with a big smile on your face.

Post #: 82
- 2/8/2008 6:00:54 PM   
willchadwick

Just truly awful, but enjoyably awful. Great songs and all the cast can really sing, except Pierce Brosnan whose licence to kill has been shifted to murder the ABBA songs

Post #: 83
I was wrong! - 3/8/2008 7:17:08 PM   
losthighway

I take it all back!! My doubts and negativity was unfounded.

I saw this last night and it's fabulous! I loved it! I got to sing. I got to dance. And in the context of the film, those actors who really can't sing for toffee ain't all tha bad afterall. A truly joyous experience and highly recommended.

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to willchadwick)
Post #: 84
RE: I was wrong! - 4/8/2008 8:16:55 AM   
Marvel_79

OK, I hate ABBA's music, it drags me back to a time of family parties as a kid where a bunch of adults with bad comb-overs and skin tight shirts danced in front of a traffic light disco. So I didn't expect much from this film but I took my wife and my mum to see it. It starts really badly, it's too stagey and everyone seems to be completely overacting, but once you get used to that it's actually very entertaining. There's a decent story and some good characters and I found myself caring about the people in it, the songs still send shivers down my spin (in a bad way) but they seem to fit in ok. Meryl Streep not bad for her age!

7/10

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 85
RE: I was wrong! - 4/8/2008 11:02:12 PM   
loopy_loz

In all fairness I think this is a love it or hate it movie-and I for one loved it! I've never left the cinema with such a feel good atmosphere buzzing through me, and also have never laughed so much at a film. In my opinion Julie Walters' brilliant comedy acting makes up a thousand times over for the awful singing- and the breathtaking scenery and mise didn't do any harm either!

8/10

(in reply to Marvel_79)
Post #: 86
Did no one else find Meryl Streep disturbing? - 5/8/2008 12:02:47 PM   
Master of Zinj

What I (guiltily) enjoyed about the stage show was that everyone involved knew it was ridiculous, and clearly had a laugh making it. Whereas, in the film, you have only the three fathers who look like they're having a ball. Streep looks like she's positively forcing herself to be nice and smile, and the women don't look at all like friends. It's horrible to watch. I'd have much rather they approached it with tongue planted somewhere to the side of their teeth.

Post #: 87
Mamma Mia - 19/8/2008 6:04:21 PM   
stevenottm

Fabulous! One of the best 'feel good' films I have ever seen. I have seen it several times and every time I have come out with a smile on my face. The music is great - love or hate Abba, you know all of the songs. The actors obviously had a ball making the film which comes across in their performances. The scenery is beautiful. Julie Walters is as ever wonderful, Meryl Streep - well what can you say.....is there nothing she can't do? Can't fault it. If you haven't seen it...then go and if it doesn't make you cry with laughter then you must be dead!

Post #: 88
Mamma Mia! - 12/9/2008 2:48:32 PM   
Maria Nunes G. P.

The plot of this movie is about a girl who is about to get married and have never meet her father, one day while reading her mother’s diary she discovers she has three possible fathers and decides to invite all them in secret to her wedding. This takes place in one remote Greek island, it happens during the summer and the main stars are Meryl Strep and Pierce Brosnan.
Mamma Mia it’s a musical where every scene is an excuse to put the actors singing Abba hits; practically the story of the movie can be told by the lyrics of the Greek music group. The movie also tries to be a comedy, but it’s not that fun at all, bigger comedy gags would be expected…despite don’t being able to pull out of our mouths big laughs, no one can deny that Mamma Mia is an happy mould movie, and most of the time this “high spirit” is carried by Maryl Strep.
Music, comedy and romance were the three main ingredients to make this movie, but after they’re all mixed together the result was just a very shallow movie, with a plot that it’s so thin that we don’t even notice it between “S.O.S.”, “Dancing Queen” and “Take a chance on me” performances, the characters are not very complex neither, most of the time it seems that the actors are in the movie just to sing the songs, not really to play a role that is important to the movie itself.
Mamma Mia is just entertaining, nothing more than that…

Post #: 89
the worst film ever? - 9/11/2008 4:07:08 PM   
markwaters

I have not been so annoyed by a film for a very long time. Mama Mia is simply awful. It could have actually been quite good if anyone with anyone had bothered to make it so. Talk about complacent movie making. I am insulted as a cinema goer and the fact that this made more money in the UK that The Dark Knight horrifies me. I have not been this embarrassed to be British since Mr Blobby got to number one in the charts.

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI