Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: How could you resist this!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: How could you resist this! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: How could you resist this! - 12/7/2008 9:43:33 AM   
losthighway

I think my other major problem with seeing this film is that I would want to sing, dance, clap along and here in the UK - we just don't do that in a cinema environment, it's not the done thing! Whereas in the US, they dance up and down the aisles!!

I have only ever seen audience participation with a film twice - Jackass: The Movie and the recent horror film, Teeth.

I live near Sheffield and I think me singing, clapping along to Mamma Mia! might get frowned upon.

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to jamess4851)
Post #: 31
RE: How could you resist this! - 12/7/2008 10:43:13 AM   
PerfectlyFlawed

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

I think my other major problem with seeing this film is that I would want to sing, dance, clap along and here in the UK - we just don't do that in a cinema environment, it's not the done thing! Whereas in the US, they dance up and down the aisles!!

I have only ever seen audience participation with a film twice - Jackass: The Movie and the recent horror film, Teeth.

I live near Sheffield and I think me singing, clapping along to Mamma Mia! might get frowned upon.

I think this film will change that

< Message edited by PerfectlyFlawed -- 12/7/2008 10:44:14 AM >

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 32
Fabulous - 12/7/2008 10:43:42 PM   
sjmlondon

Camp as tits, beautiful scenery, entertaining story and obviously brilliant songs. How often do you get a cinema audience standing up cheering at the end of a film these days? Fabulous entertainment for gay men, their mothers, and everyone else of course.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 33
RE: Fabulous - 13/7/2008 12:08:49 AM   
Stewie_Griffin

y

< Message edited by Stewie_Griffin -- 13/7/2008 12:10:09 AM >

Welcome to Sesame Street, kids. Today's word is "Expiation"

(in reply to sjmlondon)
Post #: 34
Buona Sera, Mrs. Campbell (the musical remake) - 13/7/2008 8:03:03 AM   
ilikechicken

it all sounds similar to this classic comedy featuring the wonderfulr Phil Silvers and telly savalis (i may have spelt his name wrong but its early and i dont care) i recommend seeing this film before going to see mamma mia. you can make up your own mind after that.

Post #: 35
Buona Sera, Mrs. Campbell (the musical remake) - 13/7/2008 8:03:11 AM   
ilikechicken

it all sounds similar to this classic comedy featuring the wonderfulr Phil Silvers and telly savalis (i may have spelt his name wrong but its early and i dont care) i recommend seeing this film before going to see mamma mia. you can make up your own mind after that.

Post #: 36
- 13/7/2008 9:33:35 AM   
Big Stevie

There is a fine line between joyful genius and embarrasing campness. Thankfully, Mamma Mia keeps just to the right side of that line. A great fun film, not to be taken at anything other than face value. Great songs, terrific scenery and a pleasingly self-deprecating cast (Bond doing karaoke?!). A "Grease" for the noughtie's. Fun, frivolous and hugely entertaining

Post #: 37
Cinema with a Theatre atmosphere - 14/7/2008 2:00:02 PM   
Chef_uk

This film could have gone wrong on so many levels. I went in with an open mind as I wasn’t too sure what to expect. It took me 2 songs to get used to the whole breaking out in tune moments but in hindsight I believe the film has been made for this to happen as the belter songs occur later on and by then everyone is in the mood.

To mark it down due to shoddy camera work or out of tune singers misses the point entirely of what this film is about. Attacking Pierce is an obvious one and in my mind an unfair one. Since letting go of 007 he hasn’t been given a role where by he could have fun and let his hair down in the performance sense. The Matador tried to convey it but it still had 007 elements in it which Pierce wanted to stamp out. In Mamma Mia we see a completely different Brosnan and one I love all the more. He doesn’t take it too seriously but at the same time gives a class A performance that shines and has everyone in the cinema smiling.

As for the camp style, have you not seen ABBA perform? Camp was their style and a film that essentially is ABBA has to be camp for it to work.

Finally walking out of the cinema Friday night, I have never felt so good. The cinema is a place where we go to be entertained on a grand scale. A fulfillment of being entertained is often enough, anything more and it’s a bonus. By the hour in I was fulfilled as was everyone else in the sold out cinema. By the finale we were all in a state of ecstasy and happiness and no other film in my lifetime has achieved that.

Ignore the negatives and enjoy the positives and Mamma Mia will make anyone’s day.

Post #: 38
RE: Buona Sera, Mrs. Campbell (the musical remake) - 14/7/2008 4:04:53 PM   
Mason Verger

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilikechicken

Buona Sera, Mrs. Campbell (1968)

Pierce Brosnan's singing appears to have been dubbed by Fozzie Bear.

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to ilikechicken)
Post #: 39
RE: Buona Sera, Mrs. Campbell (the musical remake) - 14/7/2008 4:07:37 PM   
elab49

I believe most of the reviews and, indeed, the theatre reviews when it was first ripped off came to the same conclusion. That said, thanks to Philip French I now also know that Dennis Norden helped write it.

Not a great film and not that funny. Apt really.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 40
RE: Buona Sera, Mrs. Campbell (the musical remake) - 14/7/2008 11:48:56 PM   
Groovy Mule

Well this is the very epitome of a mixed bag ... Very difficult to sum up but here goes ...

On the plus side:
Well the cast look like they're having fun.
Meryl Streep and Christine Baranski can sing as can the youngsters.
Dominic Cooper and Amanda Sigfried make an appealing couple.
The songs of Abba are classics and can survive a lot.
Some of the emotional stuff is well done.

On the negative side:
First and foremost, Pierce Brosnan cannot sing and looks in as much pain singing as we do listening to him.
The camera work is poor and yes, it does matter this is a film.
The direction is weak and fails to take advantage of the opportunities to open itself out.  Is there anything done here which couldn't have been done on stage - arguably not.  Compare this with Moulin Rouge!
The production feels cheap - compare with Hairspray and this film pales in comparison.
Julie Walters is singing in a different key to everyone else in most of the songs.

The closing credit sequence is, however, genius and many people will enjoy that enough to forget the faults of the previous hour and forty five minutes.

6/10

Check out my movie blog - Box Office Challenge and reviews

http://londonmovieguy.wordpress.com/

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 41
RE: Buona Sera, Mrs. Campbell (the musical remake) - 15/7/2008 2:29:59 PM   
Cruisecontroller

I love most of Abba`s songs and the rest are funny if nothing else. I also love Meryl Streep and Julie Walters and have never seen them sing before so having enjoyed the stage show it was inevitable I was going to see Mamma Mia The Movie!". Overall it is good, silly camp fun with great scenery and the camerawork seemned fine to me but it isn`t quite the comic musical masterpiece Hairspray was a year ago. There are two main reasons for this Colin Firth and Pierce Bronsons bloody awful singing!  They are truly awful singers in this and how they got there parts is beyond me as singing plays such a big part in obviously any musical. This is a shame as I would probably have given it 5 stars but instead can only give it 4/5. It could have been as painful as watching your parents try and be funny and sing Abba badly for two hours or so but overall most of the time (despite appearences to the contary on the films poster) it isn`t cringemaking until Pierce and Colin start singing that is. If you love Abba, Mamma Mia and the cast then as most do a great job singing especially Meryl Streep you must see this film. 4/5.

< Message edited by Cruisecontroller -- 15/7/2008 2:32:21 PM >

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to Groovy Mule)
Post #: 42
RE: Buona Sera, Mrs. Campbell (the musical remake) - 16/7/2008 7:20:45 PM   
Bruce Wayne

I took my mum to see this as she's a huge Abba fan, plus we've seen Mamma Mia on stage too. Was plesantly suprised by how enjoyable and entertaining it was, I personally couldn't stop laughing at Walters and Baranski. I really enjoyed it, as did she.

< Message edited by Bruce Wayne -- 16/7/2008 7:23:20 PM >

Let's hug it out bitch

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 43
WHAT MOVIES CAN REALLY BE.....ENTERTAINING!!! - 16/7/2008 8:46:13 PM   
gordon_m_b

right, having read several reviews of this film, and most of them being really harsh, empire's was quite tame, i wasnt expecting much at all, but i still went. i was, for 2 hours, taken out of the stress and annoying shit and everything else going on in the world, this is purely and simply escapism, one of the reason films are made, is for fucking fun!!! now critics that fucked the movie over for its flaws seem to have missed the point, its not an oscar-winning, heartwrenching family drama, its a big fucking joke, its a chance to laugh at ourselves, at the actors, at everything!! i think some critics (not empire tho, i felt theirs was much more fair) need to think before they go to review a film, i mean is it fair to have the same checklist for mamma mia, as the one for say, schindler's list? or March of the penguins, or the hills have eyes part 20, or something. short answer is NO!!! most people know what to expect from movies, and what the general theme and personality of a piece will have, so adjust the review acordingly,
basically Mamma Mia is a shit, poor , badly sung/acted/made film etc, but i still loved it, it was thre most fun ive had in the cinema for a long time, in the end, i was jealous of the actors, they looked so happy, not with what they had produced, but with they had been doing, they looked vibrant, and joyous, just to have had so much fun!!!!!!!!!!

Post #: 44
RE: WHAT MOVIES CAN REALLY BE.....ENTERTAINING!!! - 17/7/2008 1:06:09 AM   
Stewie_Griffin

If there is one truly positive aspect to this movie, It's that it's not self important or blantantly going for the oscar vote (I.E. Phantom of the Opera, Chicago or Dreamgirls).

(in reply to gordon_m_b)
Post #: 45
Fun, fun fun... - 17/7/2008 10:26:44 AM   
burgessappleton

My partner and I came out of the cinema with the biggest smiles ever. This was such an enjoyable film. Highly recommend this to anyone. Simply brilliant. Five Stars.

Post #: 46
RE: Fun, fun fun... - 17/7/2008 3:22:54 PM   
dark crystal

Went to see this last night and being a huge ABBA fan, I was looking forward to the musical numbers, not expecting a whole lot from the actual film itself. How wrong was I?!

Streep, Firth and in particular, Walters, were amazing in this. true, they aren't the most technically skilled singers in the world (hey -  give me Walters singing 'Take a chance on me' over Jennifer Hudsons interminable screeched warblings in Dreamgirls any day!), but this just adds to the genuine charm of this movie.

I actally found the cinematography wonderful and the locations were stunning. If  Greece doesn't generate a hell of a lot more tourism revenue after this, I'd be well shocked. From the crystal blue waters, to the traditional greek landscape and architecture, it all looked divine. In fact, there were audible gasps at steep mountain path leading to the old church, beautifully lit with candles for the wedding scene.

I came out of the cinema feeling so much lighter than going in and the atmosphere it generated throughout the audience was electric.

Highly reccommended for those of you who are in the market for a bit of camp, lighthearted, joy. An uplifiting gem.

4.5/5  (the half point coming off for Brosnans voice )

"You're not too smart, are you? I like that in a man"

(in reply to burgessappleton)
Post #: 47
Pure entertainment! - 17/7/2008 6:58:34 PM   
tiger_lily

This is the reason films are made......it simply entrances you from beginning to end. Not since Lord of The Rings have I come out of the cinema in such awe; not speechless, I couldn't stop singing! Musical magic....I love it!!!!

Post #: 48
Mamma Mia - 19/7/2008 8:35:20 AM   
qualidad

Very entertaining as long as it sticks to lighthearted fun. Collapses quickly when dipping its toe in drama. Very enjoyable.

Post #: 49
Mamma Mia, this is entertaining - 19/7/2008 11:08:09 PM   
Pepsi99

If you like Abba, you will LOVE this. You can't help but sing and dance along to this camp dramedy. There are funny moments, vibrant dancing and everything you should expect from a musical. Pure entertainment.

Post #: 50
Mamma Mia, this is entertaining - 19/7/2008 11:09:17 PM   
Pepsi99

If you like Abba, you will LOVE this. You can't help but sing and dance along to this camp dramedy. There are funny moments, vibrant dancing and everything you should expect from a musical. Pure entertainment.

Post #: 51
Mamma Mia, this is entertaining - 19/7/2008 11:09:39 PM   
Pepsi99

Post #: 52
Mamma Mia, this is entertaining - 19/7/2008 11:09:43 PM   
Pepsi99

Post #: 53
RE: Mamma Mia, this is entertaining - 20/7/2008 9:22:02 AM   
Starscream

Dear God what a cringeworthy load of rubbish, Badly cast as most of them couldn't sing especially Pierce Brosnan. At least Stellan Skarsgard knew it and didn't sing that much. It had a few good scenes involving Christine Baranski and Julie Walters but that was it.

Complete waste of time

The allspark will be mine!

(in reply to Pepsi99)
Post #: 54
RE: Pure entertainment! - 21/7/2008 3:35:09 PM   
DanCurley

quote:

ORIGINAL: tiger_lily

This is the reason films are made......

No way is it.

I'd give you my signature, but what would happen if you stole my cheque book? It would be a disaster.

(in reply to tiger_lily)
Post #: 55
Entertaining - 21/7/2008 7:26:41 PM   
Miss Angle

I really enjoyed this film. The music were fantastic and i was quite suprised by how well all the actors managed to pull it off, espiciallly as i thought they were going to be completly horrible at singing, but they managed to pull it off, and i thought the film was brilliant. I left the cinema with a big smile on my face. The story might not have been the most complicated one and you don't have to use your brain much, but that's the beauty of it. you have time to focus on the good songs and just enjoy the film.

Post #: 56
Entertaining - 21/7/2008 7:27:20 PM   
Miss Angle

I really enjoyed this film. The music were fantastic and i was quite suprised by how well all the actors managed to pull it off, espiciallly as i thought they were going to be completly horrible at singing, but they managed to pull it off, and i thought the film was brilliant. I left the cinema with a big smile on my face. The story might not have been the most complicated one and you don't have to use your brain much, but that's the beauty of it. you have time to focus on the good songs and just enjoy the film.

Post #: 57
Entertaining - 21/7/2008 7:27:25 PM   
Miss Angle

Post #: 58
- 23/7/2008 5:49:59 PM   
Kev@CTU

My god this movie made me cringe so much. Whose idea was it to cast a musical full of actors and actresses who can't hold a note?
Very missed opportunity....

Post #: 59
RE: - 24/7/2008 12:47:29 AM   
Stewie_Griffin

Saw this a second time tonight. It's in no way a perfect movie but it's just damn good fun. I've never seen people react to a movie they way they did to this onr. Singing, talking back to the screen and giving the movie a round of applause. I can't remember the last time a movie got that kind of reaction.

(in reply to Kev@CTU)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: How could you resist this! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI