Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Mamma Mia!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Mamma Mia! Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mamma Mia! - 9/7/2008 11:12:38 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Happily surpised - 9/7/2008 11:12:38 PM   
TheGodfather

I saw this one in cinema tonight, at a local premiere. I didn`t expect anything really from it on forehond but I have to say that I was indeed happily surprised. This are my thoughts about it:

Mamma Mia: The Movie
For years the succesfull musical in wich the world hits of Abba play a big role, ran worldwide.
Now there is the film version with an all-star cast, directed by the same lady who`s responsible for the stage musical. And it shows. You can see that she knows the musical inside and out. It looks really good (even though in the first half a lot of the bits are too "sweet" and happy for words) and the fun in the production obviously shows.
The happiness and ubertypical chick flick elements get a bit less when the movie progresses, thank God.
The Abba songs are cleverly used, the lyrics fit perfectly to the things happening on the screen, the dancing scenes look excellent thanks to the good goreography.

I think it`s obvious that if you`re allergic to musicals, this isn`t your thing and you should stay away from it as far as possible.
But everybody who`s only remotely open for 90 minutes of uberhappyness, a bright colour pallet and a singing Meryl Streep can well be pleasantly surprised. At least I was.

7,3/10

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Happily surpised - 10/7/2008 10:00:08 AM   
DanCurley

I'd rather watch 48 hours solid Last of the Summer Wine while coming down off billy wizz than this monstrous looking feature presentation.

I'd give you my signature, but what would happen if you stole my cheque book? It would be a disaster.

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 3
RE: Happily surpised - 10/7/2008 10:24:32 AM   
CORLEONE

Me and the missus clashed about this the other day. She came with me to watch Wanted, but now expects me to sit through this? I'm sorry, but NO F*CKING WAY.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 4
RE: Happily surpised - 10/7/2008 12:11:23 PM   
DanCurley

I'd rather watch old hags talk about wrinkly nookie in Sex And The City - three times over on a loop - than even sit through a 1 minute trailer of this apocalyptic end-of-the-world Abbathon. Don't get me wrong, I kroon along to dancing queen when it comes on radio, but that's yer lot people.

I'd give you my signature, but what would happen if you stole my cheque book? It would be a disaster.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 5
RE: Happily surpised - 10/7/2008 12:19:34 PM   
Scabby

Am I the only one that thinks this looks quite enjoyable? There's nothing wrong with a musical, there good in a campy, not too serious way. 

Sometimes writes here, sometimes writes there.

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 6
RE: Happily surpised - 10/7/2008 12:43:21 PM   
maffew

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanCurley

I'd rather watch 48 hours solid Last of the Summer Wine while coming down off billy wizz than this monstrous looking feature presentation.

that actually sounds fun..

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 7
RE: Happily surpised - 10/7/2008 1:14:16 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: maffew

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanCurley

that actually sounds fun..

Then you've not had a "come down". 'Orrible.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 8
RE: Happily surpised - 10/7/2008 2:15:10 PM   
maffew

oooh i've had my fair share but if you're still awake from the night before (not if you've been to sleep, eurgh) with some booze and weed, a 48 hour last of the summer wine marathon might just be the funniest thing ever...

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 9
RE: Happily surpised - 10/7/2008 2:22:52 PM   
skeletonjack

I took my girlfriend to see the stage show a few years ago in London and thought I'd hate it. I couldn't have been more wrong, it was brilliant. I'll be seeing the film tonight, and if its even half as much fun as the stage show it'll have been worth seeing.

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 10
RE: Happily surpised - 10/7/2008 2:26:04 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: maffew

oooh i've had my fair share but if you're still awake from the night before (not if you've been to sleep, eurgh) with some booze and weed, a 48 hour last of the summer wine marathon might just be the funniest thing ever...

Point taken

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 11
Mamma Mia! - 10/7/2008 3:09:49 PM   
Mason Verger

Abba wrote some terrific songs, so it's a crime against music and cinema that they have been immortalised on film with actors who have lousy voices.

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 12
RE: Mamma Mia! - 10/7/2008 4:09:52 PM   
losthighway

Firstly, is there a reason why Empire admin started another thread about this film when I started two hours before this one came up!!?? Anyways, here is what I said...

I like ABBA, I love Dancing Queen and can also be found singing along to most of their other hits whenever they pop on the TV/radio/my car CD player(!), however Mammia Mia! - the play and now upcoming movie just seems to be leaving me cold for some reason.

Despite rave reviews and worldwide recognition, the majority of people who I know have seen the play say it's slightly lacking and drags. Empire have only given the film 3* and without sounding like a complete bitch (but sod it anyway!), having heard Meryl Streep murder Winner Takes It All several times on various TV shows while she's been plugging the film, I can't help but think they should remake the film with a cast who can actually sing!

I know the songs are used for their emotive power and drive the narrative forward, but it still doesn't change the fact that getting actors who really can't sing ultimately takes away some of the strength of those songs in the first place. It's difficult to look past that initial reaction.

So, as Mamma Mia! gets ready to go into cinemas, I was wondering what everyone else thinks about it?

< Message edited by losthighway -- 10/7/2008 4:10:43 PM >

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 13
RE: Mamma Mia! - 10/7/2008 5:14:46 PM   
DanCurley

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

Firstly, is there a reason why Empire admin started another thread about this film when I started two hours before this one came up!!?? Anyways, here is what I said...

Yes, because this is Empire's website, and they start a topic leading from all their reviews (so forumites can argue over their official review).

Until you became Online Editor of Empire, you'll somehow have to cope with it the disrespect they've shown you.

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 14
RE: Mamma Mia! - 10/7/2008 5:46:42 PM   
directorscut

As an ABBA fan I have no interest in this film.  The phrase "gal pals" in the review pretty much sums it up for me.  This film looks more like Sex and the City for the PG crowd than it does invoke the visuals or feeling ABBA songs generate.  And hearing actors butchering these songs ain't my idea of fun either.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 15
RE: Happily surpised - 10/7/2008 6:59:32 PM   
timgowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

Me and the missus clashed about this the other day. She came with me to watch Wanted, but now expects me to sit through this? I'm sorry, but NO F*CKING WAY.

If you change your mind...

I saw it with a friend on Tuesday night at a preview in the Odeon Leicester Square, and it was a really brilliant occasion. Who knew they had a proper cinema organ in that place, but up it came from the pit and a man in a DJ played ABBA songs. The audience were really into it, with some women dancing over the splendid end credits sequence. I thought Meryl Streep was amazing, vocally and physically; Julie Walters nailed the role, and the young Amanda Seyfried is lovely.

It's not cinematic genius but it's a fun film (as is the show).

Tim

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 16
RE: Happily surpised - 10/7/2008 8:00:57 PM   
Stewie_Griffin

Mamma Mia is cheesy, Campy, Relentlessly upbeat and an utterly insignificant bit of cinema but the important thing that it is fun. I mean it's a musical based on Abba music, It was never meant to be anything other than just a  bit of of entertainment. Mamma Mia i thought served as a  good alternative to standard summer fare like Comic book movies or sequels. The majority of the actors really can't sing and sometimes i really cringed during the movie but it does have an infectious energy and enthusiasm that carries you through. No offence meant to anyone who posts on here but i'm really not surprised at the mostly negative responses since this movie doesn't really appeal to 95 per cent of the members on here, But i was pleasently surprised.

< Message edited by Stewie_Griffin -- 10/7/2008 8:06:38 PM >

Welcome to Sesame Street, kids. Today's word is "Expiation"

(in reply to timgowen)
Post #: 17
- 10/7/2008 9:37:55 PM   
punchdrunk

With a title like Mama Mia shouldn't it have been set in Italy?

Post #: 18
RE: - 10/7/2008 10:46:58 PM   
DanCurley

Should be set in Iran, make it a bit more topical.

I bet it's not fun. Unless your idea of fun is a load of old cheese ends singing. Starship Troopers is fun.

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 19
RE: RE: - 11/7/2008 12:27:01 AM   
PerfectlyFlawed

I work as a projectionist and although i've not had the chance to see the movie yet we have been playing to sold out shows all night and it's the first time in a long time I have seen an audience reaction like i did tonight. People dancing and waving arms in time with the music. Soon as the credits went up all i could see were smiling faces. I think that speaks for itself.

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 20
RE: RE: - 11/7/2008 7:20:45 AM   
DanCurley

Sounds like a warehouse rave. I'm there! Odeon should start selling Es as well as popcorn.

(in reply to PerfectlyFlawed)
Post #: 21
RE: RE: - 11/7/2008 8:16:19 AM   
skeletonjack

As I mentioned earlier in the thread I saw the stage show a few years ago, and against all of my expectations I ended up loving it.
I was therefore quite confident that I'd enjoy the movie version. It is with some disappointment that I have to say I didn't really like the film.
The main problem with it is that the majority of musical numbers are awfully staged and there's no sense that you are watching a movie. Whereas a movie like , say, Hairspray seemed perfectly suited to cinema, this seems to struggle, it's as if the stage show was merely performed on location. There is no invention in the direction, which is pretty poor throughout. It's hard to say what makes good directing, but bad directing stands out like a sore thumb.
As its a musical I should mention the singing: most of the cast cope well enough with the songs, (although its fair to say that Pirece Brosnan won't be releasing a solo album any time soon) and mercifully the men have little singing to do.
The rest of the cast are watchable although at first Julie Walters and co irritated me so much that I couldn't help but hope for a cameo from a certain demonic barber to silence them once and for all. Happily they became more tolerable as the film went on.
Judging from the reaction in the (absolutely packed) cinema, this will be a big hit, and even though the music is good, you'd be much better off seeing the stage show. If you don't fancy a trip to the West End however, just dig out a copy of Abba Gold and listen to the real thing.
Good songs but poorly made. 2 stars

< Message edited by skeletonjack -- 11/7/2008 8:46:23 AM >

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 22
RE: RE: - 11/7/2008 8:18:28 AM   
losthighway

Yes, because this is Empire's website, and they start a topic leading from all their reviews (so forumites can argue over their official review).

Until you became Online Editor of Empire, you'll somehow have to cope with it the disrespect they've shown you.

Well that told me didn't it Dan!! I was simply asking why take up more space with another thread? The Online Editor's job is more than safe.

(in reply to skeletonjack)
Post #: 23
RE: RE: - 11/7/2008 10:12:11 AM   
DanCurley

I know you were simply asking... wasn't I simply answering?

No job is ever safe. Even the president could get squished by a Cloverfield beast (if it attacked Washington instead of New York).

Post #: 24
Beasties - 11/7/2008 12:58:18 PM   
losthighway

No job is ever safe. Even the president could get squished by a Cloverfield beast (if it attacked Washington instead of New York).

We can only hope for such miracles!  Although, I think we should be more concerned by those massive beasties in The Mist. They could squash that Cloverfield beast without a second thought.

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 25
RE: Beasties - 11/7/2008 1:55:34 PM   
DanCurley

Not seen that yet, it's the only film out that I've not seen but want to (cos it's not on at my walking distance Marble Arch Odeon and I'm too lazy to travel anywhere).

With some luck said beasties will arrive in Greece and stomp the scummers in this Three Men and a Little Girl ripoff. Then they'll be screaming Mamma Mia, I can tell yea...

Post #: 26
RE: Beasties - 11/7/2008 1:58:59 PM   
Caster

I love Meryl Streep.  I love Abba.  I love Julie Walters and Pierce Brosnan.  Just not all in the same film.

Why would I want to watch a bunch of nobodies sing Abba songs on a stage, or a bunch of middle-aged actors singing in a film?  Meryl Streep flouncing about in dungerees....maybe that's cool if you're over forty but for me that's just painful.  Why not cast Jack Nicholson in a musical by The Backstreet Boys?

No.  Thank.  You.  Just buy Abba Gold instead.

< Message edited by Caster -- 11/7/2008 1:59:40 PM >

Post #: 27
RE: RE: - 11/7/2008 5:58:51 PM   
fang

quote:

ORIGINAL: PerfectlyFlawed

I work as a projectionist and although i've not had the chance to see the movie yet we have been playing to sold out shows all night and it's the first time in a long time I have seen an audience reaction like i did tonight. People dancing and waving arms in time with the music. Soon as the credits went up all i could see were smiling faces. I think that speaks for itself.

I'm a projectionist too and have to say you're bang on the money there. Makes a change to have a nice 'feel good' film doing the rounds for once. Variety is the spice of life and all that...

FREE TIBET

(in reply to PerfectlyFlawed)
Post #: 28
Hearts of stone - 11/7/2008 9:50:13 PM   
JimKing75

I have just seen this and you would need to have a heart of stone not to enjoy it - seriously you would have to go out of your way not to have a good time. Benny and Bjorn ensure the soundtrack is excellent - and everyone on the screen seems to be having a ball. No its not sophisticated - it had no great depths - but I left the cinema with a huge grin on my face. Job done. Oh and Angie - complaining about the cinematography? Jeez lighten up!

Post #: 29
How could you resist this! - 12/7/2008 8:59:04 AM   
jamess4851

I'm a projectionist and I've only had an audience applaud in a cinema 3 times, HAIRSPRAY, WALLACE & GROMIT CURSE OF THE WARE RABBIT and now MAMMA MIA! I ran the film before the first screening to 'CHECK IT' *cough* *cough* and loved it, it does what a musical is meant to do, makes you walk out at the end singing and feeling good. So just sit back and enjoy the magic of cinema! I LOVE MY JOB!

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Mamma Mia! Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI