Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 12/8/2008 9:59:38 PM   
fuzzycabin

Spiderman should have been at number 3

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 241
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 12/8/2008 10:13:16 PM   
Mikey C

I can't believe number 4 was at 6, 6 was at 5, 9 was t 45 and my favourite wasn't even in there. HOW DARE YOU

the kind of place where there might be a monster or some kind of weird mirror.
how can they hear us say those words, and still they don't believe us?
my website www.mikeynet.co.uk
My internet ramblings

(in reply to fuzzycabin)
Post #: 242
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 13/8/2008 1:29:42 AM   
sgtsalamander

Far too centred on American written titles/heroes. Before you start listing all the non-American ones, yes I realize there are a number of others - Canadian etc. but I think the number of characters on this list that were created with the fairly explicit purpose of American patriotism is rather nauseating.

I will also echo the sentiments of many others and say that there is no way Superman should have been number one. Sure, he's been around for a long time, sure he's got some cool powers, sure he's had some cool story arcs, but come on, he's a little too pedestrian. There are so many other better written, more complex and interesting characters both on and off this list that should be above him.

Thats my 2 cents. Thanks for reading, and don't start flaming me because my opinion differs from yours. I think you have just as much right to your opinion, even if I disagree with it.

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 243
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 13/8/2008 3:15:54 AM   
epalladino

I'm glad to see Hellboy in your list, but would have liked to have seen him rated higher. Also, as this is the best comic book characters, it would have been better to have included a picture of Hellboy as drawn by creator Mike Mignola. What you have is poster art from the first Hellboy movie. You also have a factual error. It is true that the first Hellboy comic was scripted by John Byrne with story and artwork by Mike Mignola. However, that volume was not entitled Right Hand of Doom but Seed of Destruction. There is a volume of the original comics entitled Right Hand of Doom, but it is a later volume solely done by Mike Mignola.

Beth Palladino

(in reply to Vertigo...Woo.Yay.)
Post #: 244
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 13/8/2008 8:50:20 PM   
Not_A_Viking

Not enough Brian K Vaughan. Fix it.

(in reply to epalladino)
Post #: 245
Huh? What? - 16/8/2008 3:50:23 AM   
Dart_Adams

No Gambit, Black Panther, Bishop, Storm, Luke Cage, Dr. Manhattan, Comedian, Blade, The Killer, Nick Fury, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Elektra, Cyborg, Phoenix, Apocalypse, Thor, Mage, Professor X, The Terminator/Slade/Deathstroke, Bullseye, The Kingpin, Dr. Rictus, Night Thrasher, Jamie Madrox, Cable, Tetsuo, Kaneda, Crying Freeman, Kenshiro, Grey Death and the list goes on.

I guess the list skewed towards the European characters by the presence of so many 2000 AD creations.

(in reply to Not_A_Viking)
Post #: 246
RE: Huh? What? - 17/8/2008 3:31:40 PM   
Fonz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dart_Adams

Jamie Madrox

Jamie Madrox is a truly fantastic character who's really come into his own since Peter David did the Madrox mini-series a few years back, and especially since the X-Factor relaunch. Personally he'd be in my top ten, easy, but he isn't really that well known outside of devoted X-book readers so I can see why Empire didn't include him in the list.

(in reply to Dart_Adams)
Post #: 247
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 23/8/2008 11:15:47 AM   
giddig

Some interesting choices. Some I have never heard of.

Possible additions to the list...
- Cliff Secord a.k.a. Rocketeer
- Lamont Cranston a.k.a. The Shadow
- Sara Pezzini a.k.a. Witchblade
- Jackie Estacado a.k.a. Darkness
- The Magdalena is pretty cool too

Thank you kindly.

Post #: 248
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 25/8/2008 4:02:12 AM   
SupermanThenBatman

What, no Lois Lane?!?

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 249
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 26/8/2008 10:01:52 AM   
Bill Murray

C'mon! Superman at number one! Hes the lamest superhero character ever and I hate the fact that just because he's the first he's got to be the best! The top Should be Batman and second should be Spidey. I am glad that Captain Haddock got a say in it too because hes a great character and I've got all the tntin books and luv them. Prof. Calculus should have appeared in it too though.

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 250
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 26/8/2008 6:51:33 PM   
Slinkson

Wheres Kev Hawkins ?????

(in reply to fuzzycabin)
Post #: 251
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 26/8/2008 9:21:36 PM   
Telbourn

Bit of a 'meh' list.  I realise Supes is important in the history of comics, but as a character he isn't number 1 and to have that spot is mental. For me I would have put Batman (or even Joker) in the number one spot. Also Deadpool should have been a lot higher in the list, and Spidey in the top 3. Criminal that Silver Surfer and The Flash were left off  the list and I would have also liked to have seen the following on the list; Martian Manhunter, Plastic Man, Nightwing, Raven, Azrael (Jean-Paul Valley), Riddler, Cassidy (from Preacher), Deadshot,  Black Panther, Bullseye,  Nick Fury,  Gambit and The Comedian. To name just a few

(in reply to Slinkson)
Post #: 252
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 27/8/2008 11:47:07 AM   
reporter

Wot no Tank Girl??

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 253
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 29/8/2008 2:22:09 AM   
warpedai

Judge Dredd should be higher, but I can see he is paying the eternal price of that atrocious Judge Dredd movie. There is no 'superhero' (if you can call him that) like Dredd. Amazingly unique story, characters and universe. As much as I love Marvel/Image/DC, a lot of their characters are restricted in their diversity because they simply have to inhabit the same world as the other characters. So each one is different but not too radically different to the other.

But, Magneto and Wolverine are awesome imo, and should be higher.

I LIKED THE LIST AND KEEP UP THE 2000AD COMICS LOVE!

< Message edited by warpedai -- 29/8/2008 2:26:12 AM >

(in reply to princemadonna)
Post #: 254
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 31/8/2008 3:49:05 AM   
Mike :Dre.Dre: Dreak

Why isn't 'The Crow' up on there...Crow is possibly the most Bad-Ass character.

Post #: 255
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 23/11/2008 7:54:39 PM   
raymondbros

NO WAY, superman is one of the worst, really sloppy story line, i can imagine the writers said
'what powers should he have?'
'oh just give him anything and everything'
'oh but then who can defeat him?'
'i don't know, how bout a rock?'
'na, lets just run through all the options first'
2 hours later
'so, rock you say?'

Post #: 256
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 25/11/2008 1:04:22 AM   
Peppermint_Nightmare

Batman = no.1

Supermans not bad...but he pales in comparison to the intensity of Batman. It's rare that you get a character like Batman who can be interpreted in dozens of ways and still remain fresh.

Also, where the hell is The Comedian? Even though he dies in the first pages of Watchmen, hes one of the greatest characters in the book. Would like to see Rorschach higher as well

(in reply to raymondbros)
Post #: 257
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/12/2008 10:42:47 AM   
mbembet

my top 10 would be:
10.frank castle
09.sara pezzini
08.al simmons
07.bruce banner
06.steve rogers
05.peter parker
04.logan
03.diana
02.clark kent
01.bruce wayne

Post #: 258
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/12/2008 10:43:26 AM   
mbembet

my top ten would be:
10.frank castle
09.sara pezzini
08.al simmons
07.bruce banner
06.steve rogers
05.peter parker
04.logan
03.diana
02.clark kent
01.bruce wayne

Post #: 259
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 16/12/2008 1:14:19 PM   
SMERSH_91

where's Modesty?

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 260
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 15/1/2009 5:50:53 AM   
C. S. P. Schofield

Just a few questions:

Where is Denny Colt, AKA The Spirit? Not to mention some of his more memorable supporting characters? P'Gell. Sand Saref. Dolan?!? Eisner practically INVENTED the visual palette modern comic artists depend on, and The Spirit was his masterpiece.

No Captain Marvel? (The original, not Mar-Vel of the Kree). OK, he isn't that big now, but he was one of the great Golden Age characters, and influenced so much.

I can understand not including any of Kirby's Fourth World heroes; they're a pretty vapid bunch .... even Mr. Miracle. But what about Darkseid? Or, from the Marvel Universe, his close rival in brooding evil and megalomania; Thanos? There's a reason people keep reviving these two......

On the other hand, thank the Gods you left out Howard The Duck!

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 261
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 25/1/2009 7:55:06 AM   
SnapperCarr

Ah, poor Superman. He's so insulted and hated by people now-a-days who, I would say, don't much get the character. They say he has no personality, no weaknesses, and that he's a one dimensional character. Why? He's had his share of bad movies, he's had to live in the shadow of Superdickery, and, hell, he's had to live in the shadow of bad stories. But Superman inspires hope, Superman may not be dark or gritty, but only because he has to be a light for people to follow, he has faults, just like any other person, but he puts those aside so that he can lead the way to being a better person in general. Also, his recent stories have been pretty kick-ass too. 

< Message edited by SnapperCarr -- 25/1/2009 7:58:16 AM >

Post #: 262
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 2/2/2009 9:44:44 AM   
mbembet

the world most recognizable superhero would be batman superman and wonder woman so the should be in the 1,2,3 spot

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 263
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 6/2/2009 11:03:22 AM   
SteveO85

Have to say overall a very good list. Although as several people have mentioned silver surfer should have been included and Spawn, Hellboy and Captain America all should have been higher. Also heres some cool characters that didn't make the list but should of:

Jack Frost(The Invisibles)
Johnny the Homicidal Maniac
Cassidy(Preacher)
Tank Girl
Lenore
The Crow
Jensen(The Losers)
Yorick(Y: The Last Man)
Sam & Twitch
D.R. & Quinch
Lex(Gloom Cookie)
The Female(of the species)(The Boys)

Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not 'Mr. Lebowski'. You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Post #: 264
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 11/2/2009 7:17:43 AM   
EGOBLOIKO

I say ¿WHERE THE F... IS CONAN?

(in reply to SteveO85)
Post #: 265
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 5/3/2009 7:15:25 PM   
Loftus1

Tank Girl?????????

My fave Aussie punk bounty hunter is missing!

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 266
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 5/3/2009 7:20:56 PM   
Loftus1

I agree. He should have been higher. I don't get the Superman appeal, just don't get it guys. He's so banal and bland. I like the screw ups and freaks. Heroes gotta have flaws and issues. Somebody explain why superman is interesting.

(in reply to fuzzycabin)
Post #: 267
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 5/3/2009 11:32:12 PM   
HighwayJoe

I'm surprised Jean Grey didn't make the list, or Storm. Pretty powerful, kick-ass ladies with complex storylines, both of them. And I say this as not one of Jean Grey's biggest fans (my favourite X-women are Storm and Rogue) (come to think of it, where's Rogue?).

Anyhoo, wanted to express my happy nod at whichever of the list's authors pointed out that the Keanu Reeves 'Hellblazer' was not half-bad. It is not perfect (Keanu is so far away from the real Constantine that the movie is more of a 'What If?' scenario than an adaptation), but it does capture the feel of the DC Vertigo universe and aesthetic (and Tilda Swinton's androgynous Gabriel rocks all sorts of ways).

Also, I heartily concur with the notion of any future, onscreen Sandman being played by multiple actors (or being animated; preferably in stop-motion, all nice and weird). It makes the most sense, and ties in with the comic's convention of people seeing Morpheous mostly as what they want him to/have been told (via folklore, religion, etc) he looks like. And I'd love it if at least one tiny scene has Morpheous played by Neil Gaiman himself. Doesn't even need dialogue, just a brief flash.

Great list. Props for including folk like Obelix (though my favourite in Axterix is the long-suffering Julius Caesar) and Cerebus. Oh, and Spider Jerusalem rocks! I'd love to see Richard O'Brien tackle him... but he's too old, and I can't see any studio taking a chance on 'im.

Post #: 268
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 6/3/2009 12:31:55 PM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Loftus1

I agree. He should have been higher. I don't get the Superman appeal, just don't get it guys. He's so banal and bland. I like the screw ups and freaks. Heroes gotta have flaws and issues. Somebody explain why superman is interesting.

People always say Superman has no darkness, really ?

Parental sacrifice
Home Planet Burn Out
Guilt of being planet's only surviver and the pressure of success on adopted home
Adopted Parental Death
Knowing you can't be with the person you destined to be with for the sake of humanity and having to daily be reminded of the fact

No, no darkness there at all is there......

(in reply to Loftus1)
Post #: 269
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 7/3/2009 12:10:18 AM   
HighwayJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R
No, no darkness there at all is there......

What you've listed are problems and tragedies, which give Superman a solid and interesting backstory [and ongoing tension with Lois Lane], but have they made Superman flawed or bitter? Has he ever allowed his feelings about his planet and parents to cloud his judgement, driven him to wanton violence, etc?

I think Superman's staying power is due to both to his iconic status and longevity and the fact that he is very nearly the perfect embodiment of the term "superhero." He is quite obviously super [it's a duh thing, what with being called, you know, Superman], but he is also a selfless, do-gooding, decent fellow. Superman saves people because he wants to save people. He's the most powerful man on the planet [well, give or take] [Magneto--and others--may have something to say about that], and he could've easily decided to make life miserable for humans [see Magneto, Dr Doom, etc], yet he decided to help them instead. Decent guy. Powerful, decent guy.

That makes him a true hero.

It does not, however, make him as compelling a character [and the list is titled "50 Greatest Comic Book Characters," not Heroes] as your Batmans and Sandmans and all them other conflicted, flawed, tarnished guys and gals in the comics.

So, for me, he might just be the No 1 Superhero... but not comic book character. I think the Batdude's gotten him beat there.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI