Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 23/7/2008 10:17:54 AM   
bentherock

Im with you all the way on deaths head.
He had a wonderful dry sense of humour & his laid back approach to dealing with rogues make him as cool as.
I think he would make a fantastic movie with possibly ron perlman or kurt russell in the lead!!!

"I HAVEN'T GOT TIME FOR THIS MICKEY MOUSE BULLSHIT!!!!!"

(in reply to Hanzo_Magnus)
Post #: 211
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 23/7/2008 2:12:39 PM   
Bill Murray

complete crap list. Spiderman or batman should be no.1. Superman is the dullest most simple superhero ever and characters like doc ock, joker, and other villians should be higher.

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 212
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 24/7/2008 2:17:59 PM   
talltom

What?  No Silver Surfer?  He was the only thing that made the last FF film bearable!  Ghost Rider also notable by his absence - perhaps the movie adaptation shamed him more than we realised....

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 213
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 25/7/2008 1:38:19 AM   
FranB23

Superman No 1????????????? What the hell is wrong with you people

When Empire does it's top ten it alway lays out the criteria for it's selections. Why not here?  

Is it best character? Then Superman would never be number 1
Most Popular? For all those banging there keyboards about how much Superman means to people and how iconic he is. Spiderman and Batman have out sold him for years on average at a rate of 3 to 1. That to me would suggest they are far more popular. No?

There Movies are far Superior too(5 Stars from Empire was a disgrace for Supes last outing).

Would have liking to see Thanos, Galactus or the Surfer in there. 

(in reply to talltom)
Post #: 214
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 25/7/2008 7:35:21 PM   
GreatEmperorKuzko

What about Fone Bone? or Smiley Bone? Anybody read the awesome Bone comics?

(in reply to FranB23)
Post #: 215
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 25/7/2008 10:48:33 PM   
matty1

spiderman an batman av sold more than superman. but if the list when by sales x-men would easily b no.1 wit around 500 million sold. in terms of box office it would b spiderman. although that might change with the release of the dark knight, which is breaing box office records left right an center

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 216
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 26/7/2008 3:43:15 PM   
KiplingKat

Very nice list. Much better than the one Wizard put out a few months ago (which was so popularity driven that Wolverine landed in the top spot). Love the high placement of Morpheus. Very underrated as a character as it was his dysfunctions that subtlety drove the Sandman series forward. Probably would swap Spider Man and Wolverine places myself.

Love the fact Magneto is up there in the #9 spot, as a character creation in the superhero world, he is unique in his emotional realism and the analogies he presents to the real world. (And please ignore Uncanny #500.) Just a couple corrections on the Magneto entry: He did not have a relationship with Rogue in the mainstream Marvel Universe. That was just in an alternate universe story: Age of Apocalypse. In the mainstream comics, Magneto and Rogue never even exchanged words on panel while he was living at the X-Mansion. Magneto also never led the X-Men. He was an X-Man of Storm's team and he was Headmaster of the New Mutants.

To those who feel that Supes doesn't deserve the #1 spot, we wouldn't have superhero comics if not for him.

< Message edited by KiplingKat -- 26/7/2008 3:51:23 PM >

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 217
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 26/7/2008 4:23:03 PM   
Slinkson

Superman does no way deserve to be number 1 in this list , if it was a list of Iconic comic characters then maybe but just cause he was one of he first does not make him the greatest , he is so stuck in the 1940s he should be Retro Man .
I really do think there ae much better Heroes and Heroines out there much better developed and rounded characters I find Supes can be very boring at times . 

(in reply to KiplingKat)
Post #: 218
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 26/7/2008 6:31:49 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slinkson

Superman does no way deserve to be number 1 in this list , if it was a list of Iconic comic characters then maybe but just cause he was one of he first does not make him the greatest , he is so stuck in the 1940s he should be Retro Man .
I really do think there ae much better Heroes and Heroines out there much better developed and rounded characters I find Supes can be very boring at times . 

Retro Man died in issue 17 of JLA in 1998 

No argument that Superman isn't the best.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Slinkson)
Post #: 219
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 27/7/2008 1:18:13 PM   
Craig1984

where was wolverine?

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 220
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 30/7/2008 9:22:16 AM   
Seth_Gecko

There was some strange choices in that list where was two face ,the green goblin , the kingpin, cat woman. Constantine in the top 5 very strange. 

(in reply to Craig1984)
Post #: 221
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 1/8/2008 3:39:04 AM   
visuallynoisy

wheres gambit ffs

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 222
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 1/8/2008 2:16:01 PM   
Gwynbleidd

Where is:

-Thor
-Blade
-Iceman
-Flash
-Silver Surfer
-Ghost Rider
-War Machine
-Apocalypse
-Beast
-Gambit
-Colossus
-Professor X
-Cyclops
-Human Torch
-Mr. Fantastic
-Jean Grey/ Dark Phoenix
-Rogue
-Nightcrawler
-Mystique

(in reply to visuallynoisy)
Post #: 223
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 1/8/2008 8:51:38 PM   
Why_So_Serious

No Dr Charles Xavier!? and spawn at number 50!!? Whats goin on here guys,

(in reply to Vertigo...Woo.Yay.)
Post #: 224
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 1/8/2008 11:58:20 PM   
jacquez

Oh, come now, Empire! Couldn't you have found any other picture for the Apollo & the Midnighter entry? "Why, what image could we use to go with this text we have written about this loving couple? I know! A picture where one of them is having his face smashed in by the other! Wonderful!"

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 225
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 3/8/2008 5:40:54 AM   
ewelementwf

ummmm... what about spider jerusalem??? how could the iconic star of transmet not make the list???

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 226
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 3/8/2008 9:42:22 AM   
Guinevere

No way! As if you can have a valid list of comic characters without Gambit! And I know he's a bit new but Yorick! I think Empire may not be keeping up to date with their graphic novels! However that can't explain the shocking lack of V! Tut tut Empire, tut tut 

Sam: You don't like raisins?
Joon: Not really.
Sam: Why?
Joon: They used to be fat and juicy and now they're twisted. They had their lives stolen. Well, they taste sweet, but really they're just humiliated grapes. I can't say I am a big supporter of the raisin council.
Sam: Did you see those, those raisins on TV? The ones that sing and dance and stuff?
Joon: They scare me.

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 227
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 3/8/2008 5:01:23 PM   
ayaryura

Superman IS and always will be NUMBER ONE!!! Congrats to Empire for endorsing what, at this moment in time, is not a minstream popular notion...

(in reply to Vertigo...Woo.Yay.)
Post #: 228
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 4/8/2008 1:23:26 AM   
the0distance

What about Shadowhawk???
Paul received medical confirmation that he was HIV positive and he descended into a depression. While walking the streets to clear his head Paul was threatened by a group of young gang-members. He went berserk and attacked them, leading to his brutal mugging and return to the hospital. During this time he resolved that he would use the rest of his time to dispense justice to the individuals who preyed on innocent victims. One of his friends, a cop named Christina Reid (who had been kicked off the force that day for use of excessive force), was also in the hospital and came to visit him. She informed Paul that she and a man named Carlton Sun had been developing an exo-skeleton suit of armor that could help aid him in accomplishing this task.

Johnstone decided to don the suit, christening himself "ShadowHawk" after his favourite superhero (a name that would eventually lure out the psychotic and racist villain Hawk's Shadow, who believed he was the one entitled to bear the mantle of ShadowHawk), and was taught how to fight effectively with the help of Christine, promising to "take back the night". Johnstone also kept the pills needed to slow his reaction to his HIV infection in small pouches on his belt so he could take them as needed.

And as for Joker's alias:

Alter ego: Unknown
Notable aliases: The Clown Prince of Crime, Red Hood, Jack, Joseph "Joe" Kerr, Clem Rusty, Mr. Rekoj

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 229
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 4/8/2008 8:00:15 PM   
dizcostu007

Where is Apocalypse? Jesse cutter and constatine, but no Apocalypse. Emma Frost as well, what is going on. I think Empire is trying to look knowledgeable by being as obscure as possible. Clev-errrrrrrrrrrrrr!

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 230
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 6/8/2008 2:36:46 PM   
Fonz

quote:

ORIGINAL: ayaryura

Superman IS and always will be NUMBER ONE!!! 

In terms of being a recognisable icon in the public consciousness then yeah, I think there's not many people who'd disagree with you. But as a character? No way. This boy scout with practically unlimited power and virtually no flaws is as one dimensional as they come. The only thing of note that the character has done over the last 20 years is die, and how long did that last? No, Spidey or Batman should've been no 1.

(in reply to ayaryura)
Post #: 231
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 6/8/2008 10:30:00 PM   
mkimber

Yes a number of people above mention Deaths Head - Simon Furmans amazing robotic freelance peacekeeping agent would make for one hell of a movie - although you'd need a new story (neo-nazi thugs anyone?)

Also missing from the list is Thanos who became a god in the Marvel universe on more than one occasion in the Infinity Wars series's

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 232
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 6/8/2008 10:52:04 PM   
Miso_Jace

Glad to see my favourite, Marv, and also brilliant that Harvey Pekar, Death, Dream and Vladek Spiegelman were in there too!

< Message edited by Miso_Jace -- 6/8/2008 10:55:27 PM >

Those friends thou hast, and by their adoption tried, Grapple them unto thy soul with hoops of steel!

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 233
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 7/8/2008 9:06:26 PM   
NotWarren

erm.....anyone?

Savage Dragon
Captain America
Gambit
Storm
Black Panther

just wonderin' oh yeah and I agree Superman as number one?.....nah man, give me Spidey any day of the week!

Its Not I Who is Locked in Here With You,......

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 234
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 8/8/2008 12:13:12 PM   
michaelqb

quote:
ORIGINAL: Fonz
quote:

ORIGINAL: ayaryura

Superman IS and always will be NUMBER ONE!!! 

In terms of being a recognisable icon in the public consciousness then yeah, I think there's not many people who'd disagree with you. But as a character? No way. This boy scout with practically unlimited power and virtually no flaws is as one dimensional as they come. The only thing of note that the character has done over the last 20 years is die, and how long did that last? No, Spidey or Batman should've been no 1.

I'm not going to argue that Superman is complex... but perhaps it is the pure simplicitity of the concept.. that is so appealing and makes Superman the greatest ever comic character.

Complex rarely means better and is usually more unreliable

(I am ofcourse assuming that Homer Simpson is not allowed)

It takes two to lie.. one to lie and another to listen.

That's part of your problem: you haven't seen enough movies. All of life's riddles are answered in the movies.

(in reply to NotWarren)
Post #: 235
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/8/2008 12:50:03 PM   
danielthompson99

Where's Calvin,(and Hobbes) and Charlie Brown? Lots of names very high up I have never heard of. Very surprised to see Jenny Sparks in there and yet Storm, Mystique, Jean Grey,(hubba hubba) or Zealot were not mentioned. Funny how we get Wolverine but not Cyclops, who pre-dated Logan by a good decade or two. Think the compiler of this list may have a thing for Garth Ennis and Alan Moore.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand. . . .why Stronty before Rogue Trooper?!?!?!

+ isn't there a Star Wars comic, lol!

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 236
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 10/8/2008 4:23:46 PM   
Fonz

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelqb

I'm not going to argue that Superman is complex... but perhaps it is the pure simplicitity of the concept.. that is so appealing and makes Superman the greatest ever comic character.

Complex rarely means better and is usually more unreliable

(I am ofcourse assuming that Homer Simpson is not allowed)

I'm not arguing that Batman or Spiderman are complex either, because I don't think that they especially are. But what they are at least, and what Superman isn't, is interesting. Superman is just dull. He's an invulnerable powerhouse who can do literally almost anything and has no moralistic shades of grey at all. How mindnumbingly boring is that?

Plus he wears his undies on the outside, and has friends so thick that just wearing a pair of spectacles is an impenetrable disguise.

(in reply to michaelqb)
Post #: 237
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 10/8/2008 9:10:51 PM   
skinfreak

Jesus TF Christ...Superman at number one? Which idiot thought that was right? Reading the comments I am not alone thank God.

Superman is a god damned alien who can sod off back to space. We'll stick with out mutants, psychics and all-round billionaire nut jobs. They have far more character than the dull, boring and drab Man of Steel.

I will laugh a thousand times if Superman Returns 2 is any good and I doubt it. These days we need a bit more gritin our superhero flicks than the black and white good and evil painted by Mr Singer. Didn't he learn from X-Men?

Batman should be number one, Sipdey second...and then Wolverine can tussle with John Constantine after that.

And DanielThompson99 is spot on - Ennis and Moore lovin this list turned out to be.

< Message edited by skinfreak -- 10/8/2008 9:12:10 PM >

(in reply to Fonz)
Post #: 238
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 12/8/2008 2:55:19 PM   
scpetit

Eric Draven (The Crow)
Groo The Conquerer

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 239
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 12/8/2008 4:32:02 PM   
hoeech

An interesting list.  A little too "indy" oriented for my taste (no Black Adam...shameful).  However, I'd like to know who were the 1200 or so knuckleheads who voted that Superman should be HIGHER on the list?  He's already NUMBER 1!  How much higher can he get?

< Message edited by hoeech -- 12/8/2008 4:33:04 PM >

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI