Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 17/7/2008 11:19:03 PM   
blackie_92

I havn't read THAT many comics to be honest, but I've read alot of civil war stuff and alot of Batman (I only started reading comics to delve into the Batman story cause I'm so excited for Dark Knight) But Harvey Dent/Two-Face HAS to be in the list! His tragic story is brilliant and the duality makes him a great, morally grey villain (or is he? )

He is a much more interesting character that Catwoman! I think Eckhart will make an excellent two-face and Harvey Dent, and hopefully become as iconic as the character deserves to be

Also I have read abit of superman and the top two should be swapped! Superman is abit one-dimensional don't you think? I mean iconic but a little too GOOD, permanantly.

Venom should be higher 'n' all

BUt a good list overall! I'm gonna check out Hellblazer and Preacher now

(in reply to bentherock)
Post #: 181
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 18/7/2008 10:02:05 AM   
bentherock

deaths head & blue devil anyone?!?!

(in reply to steveg66)
Post #: 182
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 18/7/2008 10:06:14 AM   
bentherock

Also what about marshal law?
I know he looked a bit village people but he certainly took no shit!!!!

(in reply to bentherock)
Post #: 183
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 18/7/2008 10:14:18 AM   
britesparc

quote:

ORIGINAL: bentherock

deaths head & blue devil anyone?!?!

I think you'll find I mentioned Death's Head way back on page two

But my favourite freelance peacekeeping agent, and Blue Devil for that matter, are both probably a bit too niche and obscure.  And there hasn't been a good Death's Head story since the end of the original run in the 80s.

You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

(in reply to bentherock)
Post #: 184
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 18/7/2008 12:02:51 PM   
bentherock

On the subject of the great marshal law,does anyone remember the short lived 'strip' comics from the early 90's?
I think they only released about 20 copies & i cant seem to get any info on them whatsoever!!!

(in reply to britesparc)
Post #: 185
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 18/7/2008 12:15:24 PM   
britesparc

I do indeed remember "Strip", along with stuff like "Toxic", I think.  Seem to remember there were a couple around at that point that my cousin and I collected.  I remember one had a strip in called "The Last American", about an American soldier cryogenically frozen and re-awakened after a nuclear war.  I hardly read any of it, but it was terrific.  Wouldn't mind tracking that down.

You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

(in reply to bentherock)
Post #: 186
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 18/7/2008 12:28:57 PM   
bentherock

I didnt read 'toxic' but i collected most 'strip' issues which featured running episodes like marshal law & some toad character who took off on some adventure with his uncle & some pink skinned barbarian (a bit vague i know).
Most stories were 1 offs & totally obscure like 'combat wombat' & the ghost of a hells angel or something & deaths head appeared in later issues.

On the subject of deaths head & his battles was anyone also a fan of  dragons claws?

(in reply to britesparc)
Post #: 187
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 18/7/2008 3:40:20 PM   
princemadonna

In regards to something else, and Blackie_92's comments, Catwoman is a far more complex and "grey" character in Batman's world than Two Face. The character is Batman's love interest for one thing, but he can't be with her because of her difficulties with duality and his own. Secondly, her entire character has more depth than Dent's - is she good, is she bad?? She steals and yet she wont kill, she also has a strong will to protect animals and do the right thing, but also serves mostly for herself. Just look at the character in 'Batman Returns' she has more than two personalities in that - we have down-trodden Selina. Stand up for herself Selina. Bad Catwoman and good Catwoman. This can all be seen in the comic arc prior to the movie as well, 'Her Sisters Keeper'. We all know Harvey has killed in the comics many times, making him primarily a villain.
The only reason ppl are all over Two-Face at the moment is because Harvey Dent's going to be in the new movie and there's a bunch of newbie fans that think they know the characters soooo well from watching a few movies or reading a few comics. He has had his interesting moments, but I don't think he's anywhere near as compelling as Selina Kyle and I'm sure Batman would agree. And no-one can mention the movie 'Catwoman', because that wasn't Selina Kyle, it was some moronic character named Pathience Philips.  

< Message edited by Captain Black -- 21/7/2008 8:30:33 PM >
Post #: 188
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 18/7/2008 4:01:10 PM   
Chan_Solo

This list was always going to be controversial, and when geeks unite to find a definitive answer, there will always be blood and ink on the walls and floors.
My opinion, sorry the son of Krypton is a boring one dimensional recruitment ad, designed to inspire incoming immigrants to the USA to work towards the American Dream.

Batman to my mind has definite elements of Sherlock Holmes, Tarzan & Jekyll & Hyde (Thanks Clive Bloom!) where as I found Superman always one dimensional and dare I say controversially, pretty fracking boring, only made flesh and flawed by the sheer brilliance of the late great Christopher Reeve, but that's one woman's opinion.

On the plus, kudos to Empire again for inspiring another night where myself and a few other will argue til the death and it was good to see other names, some which I freely admit will have me hunting to read something new, others Jesse Custer, Apollo & Midnighter, Jenny Sparks, John Constantine, Rorschach, Venom & Wolverine, will have me applauding!!

"I think my common sense is tingling!" -DeadPool

(in reply to blackie_92)
Post #: 189
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 19/7/2008 7:41:08 AM   
Slinkson

Preacher and Hellblazer are excellent comics , a friend lent me some Preacher graphics and I loved it so much I tracked down the rest of them , Preacher was a very refreshing change as I had really only been into the Marvel + DC spandex crew , ignore the dire movie Constantine it does not bear much resemblance to Hellblazer check out the comics , and while you are about it you may like the early Bryan Hitch Warren Ellis Authority too , very good and very adult . 

(in reply to blackie_92)
Post #: 190
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 19/7/2008 7:43:10 AM   
Slinkson

I vaguely remember Dragon Claws it was quite good but I dont think it lasted very long ? Was in the same vein as Deaths Head which was truly classic and very British

(in reply to bentherock)
Post #: 191
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 19/7/2008 7:46:24 AM   
Slinkson

I remember Toxic had them all till I sold my collection  , Toxic was brilliant it was like 2000AD on steroids very violent very extreme and over the top , would not be around today with all this PC bullshit I think in the end thats why Toxic got cancelled cause of the violence but it was good while it lasted

(in reply to princemadonna)
Post #: 192
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 19/7/2008 10:15:52 AM   
Fonz

quote:

Also what about marshal law?
I know he looked a bit village people but he certainly took no shit!!!!

I wouldn't have Marshal Law in my top 50, but I agree that he was awesome. For those who don't know he was kind of a cross between Judge Dredd and The Gimp from Pulp Fiction.

Princemadonna's comments about Catwoman are spot on.

(in reply to bentherock)
Post #: 193
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 19/7/2008 6:32:42 PM   
Gaz

How could ou leave out Dan Dare?

Nothing says "I love you" like a violated restraining order!

Champagne for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends.

Dont drink burgundy on a boat.

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 194
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 19/7/2008 9:10:11 PM   
Uncle Ludo

This list was great fun, I agree it was good to see the J Custer up there, it was also great to see John Constantine so high!!!! My only gripe is that that the Hunter Rose pic is not Hunter Rose, its Grendel Prime!!!! Blimey. I'm such a geek!!!!

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 195
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 19/7/2008 9:23:35 PM   
AlextheSuperfly

I'll add my name to the list of people who would put Batman above Superman. It's been said before, but Superman is a character that you can do precious little with, what with him only having one weakness 'n' all. Batman on the other hand has endless adaptability, and this has been used to great effect for decades.

Generally I thought the list was ok, but there were quite a few characters that I noted for their absence (although they have all been mentioned here already):
V - V for Vendetta
Blade - Blade
Eric Draven/Crow - The Crow
Silver Surfer - Fantastic 4
Dennis the Mennace - Beano

Deadpool, Rorschach, Hellboy and Venom should all be higher too.

In terms of what is expendable in the list, I have just one thing to say... Astro Boy. Now, I love manga as much as anyone, but is he really better than all those characters I mentioned above? Furthermore, is he better than Light Yagami, L (Deathnote), Tetsuo Shima (Akira) or Ichigo Kurosaki (Bleach)? Out of all the manga characters in existence (apart from Usagi Yojimbo), is Astro Boy really the best we can do?

Finally, I know this is comic books and not comic strips, but where's Garfield?!?!?

< Message edited by AlextheSuperfly -- 19/7/2008 9:25:18 PM >

"Anywhere can be heaven, as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive… and so you will always have the chance to be happy. As long as the Sun, the Moon and the Earth exist, everything will be all right."

(in reply to Gaz)
Post #: 196
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 20/7/2008 12:04:05 PM   
The Jackle

The moment I saw Batman as number 2 bile rose to my throat with the thought of clicking the next link. Superman? Yes OK he was first but he is also the absolout lowest common denominator in the comic book cannon. Remember you are film site Empire and the fact that the first Superman revival couldn't get off of the ground due to a lack of interest even though it was helmed by one of hottest directors of the decade Tim Burton and the second one that happened was no where near as good as the first two X-Men films even though being the dream project of the director which has not even garnered a sequel should tell you something about your audience. The fact that you put in a "Higher or Lower" feature (in which we've already told you what we think) must surely have been a lack of confidence in you own list. 

Other gripes include: Lack of diversity which could have easily been solved by the addition of Blade (who started the resurgance of all the superhero interest) Mary Jane and Catwoman (all the female characters are on the side of good). Judge Dredd above the Joker is beyond a ... well Joke. Also I would have liked to have seen these charcters make the list: Professor X, Doc Ock, The Green Goblin (talk about impact, he killed the first comic book character to stay dead) The Riddler, The Penguin, Two Face (you said it yourself Batman had the best Rouges Gallery) The Comiedian, Dennis the Menace (who's genre you've ignored is shocking considering you put in Obelix and Cap Haddock) Tom Mckenna, John Rooney and Enid Coleslaw (particullarly dissapointed from the lack of characters from serious realistic comics. Characters it could have done without: Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Emma Frost (too mysoginistic) and The Punisher.

My Personal top ten would read:

10. Marv
9. The Saint of Killers
8. Eric Draven (I know most people dismiss The Crow as juvenile but i always found it lyrical and poetic) 
7. Magneto
6. Spiderman
5. Dennis the Menace
4. Wolverine
3. Batman (I hate when people call him "THE Batman", Just doesn't sound right.)
2. The Comiedian
1. The Joker

"Just because your paranoid don't mean their not after you. Just because your right, that doesn't make you sane"

It's wierd how chairs can exist when your not sitting on them

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 197
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 20/7/2008 11:49:46 PM   
Nimrods Son

Saint Of Killers only at 42?
Not cool.

It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.
-Jacob (Lost)
Post #: 198
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 21/7/2008 12:34:39 AM   
doenutts

OK I agree with almost the entire top 50 (Even those form comics I have not seen myself but have heard of) but I was disappointed to not see any mention of the last Czarnian LOBO, he has gone head to head with Batman, Superman and Judge Dredd, in the Marvel vs. DC crossover he even took on Wolverine.

So where was he ???????

(in reply to Nimrods Son)
Post #: 199
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 21/7/2008 10:29:47 AM   
bentherock

Where was cable & for comic value shouldn't puck be in there for pc purposes?

1 other question, who the fuck are the knutsens?

(in reply to doenutts)
Post #: 200
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 21/7/2008 12:10:58 PM   
ron10

where is the surfer?!!!!!!!!!

(in reply to Vertigo...Woo.Yay.)
Post #: 201
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 21/7/2008 12:44:12 PM   
Noelg25

I do agree with most of you, where was the Silver Surfer? It is an outrage he wasnt listed and yet Empire spent a good few months hyping up Fantastic 4: Rise Of The Silver Surfer before its release last year. But being a big DC Comics fan, I am very pleased Batman and Superman were the top two. My only gripe is, where was The Flash? Why wasn't he listed? Apart from Superman, I do love the Flash a great deal. If there was no Superman, I would be a massive Flash fan. Shame on you, Empire for not listing The Flash. Otherwise thank you for having Superman as number 1. :)

Man Of Steel will rock!

2013 is Superman's year!

Metropolis, IL here I come for Superman Celebration!!

(in reply to ron10)
Post #: 202
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 21/7/2008 12:50:49 PM   
tftrman

quote:

I didnt read 'toxic' but i collected most 'strip' issues which featured running episodes like marshal law & some toad character who took off on some adventure with his uncle & some pink skinned barbarian (a bit vague i know).
Most stories were 1 offs & totally obscure like 'combat wombat' & the ghost of a hells angel or something & deaths head appeared in later issues.

On the subject of deaths head & his battles was anyone also a fan of  dragons claws?

I recently re-read my collection of Dragon's Claws-pretty rubbish now. Toxic was pretty good, mainly for Accident Man. I'd have had Marshall Law on the list for his 1st 6 issue series, his stories got more camp and irreverent with each one but the 1st story was awesome.

(in reply to bentherock)
Post #: 203
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 22/7/2008 2:03:48 AM   
Lauwa

I agree with many previous posts, especially the one about the SURFER
he's really one of the greatest (Marvel) characters, with great visual arts in the comic books, so why the heck is he not on the list ????
and also, Daredevil should be in the top 10 he's a great twisted complex character, and many talented writers and artists have worked on this series (Bendis, Smith and Loeb/Sale for sure, and also Joe Quesada and David Mack and others) - a shame that the movie with Ben Affleck was such a disaster

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 204
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 22/7/2008 2:21:00 AM   
matty1

mayb the reason why theres only a few x-men characters is coz then if the list was full of brill comc book characters then guranteed they'd b mostly x-men heros/villians. i am shocked white queen is the only x female to feature. i thought rouge would of been in there as she's an extremly conflicted, fragile person. an definatly thought jean grey(phoeinix) would of been there. don't agree wit the top two, batman or superman, marvels always as had more interestinan popular characters. supermans always been a bit of a bore 2 me an plain. plus there could of been sum more x villians in there, such as mr sinister an apocolypse. there two classic villians in comic book history. both wit extremly intersetin back storys. glad 2 c wolverine so highly. very surprised at no gambit. also hopin sabertooth would feature. as 4 number 3????!!!! constaitine!!!!!!! as if any1 knew who he was b4 the film. glad that wolverine features highly. also though juggernaut an sabertooth might have featured in the lower region of the chart? glad the joker from batman featured highly. a classic example of pure insanity. personally i hoped an thought spiderman might av been  number 1. he's always been more interstin than batman or superman. surprised at jus venom featuring in this list out of the only 1 of spidermans villians. how come no dr octopus, green goblin, or carnage? again all classic characters. is it 2 much 2 ask if u rethink the list empire????????

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 205
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 22/7/2008 11:16:20 AM   
Noelg25

Perhaps if they did a Top 100, then we might so much more characters...including the villians of X-Men, Spiderman et al. Plus many more from the DCU (DC Universe), especially The Flash. Maybe next time, Empire a Top 100 will be the best idea.

Man Of Steel will rock!

2013 is Superman's year!

Metropolis, IL here I come for Superman Celebration!!

(in reply to matty1)
Post #: 206
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 22/7/2008 1:22:53 PM   
feel bill

where the hell is:- desperate dan, rupert the bear and andy cap?

I'm with you 100%

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 207
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 22/7/2008 2:22:25 PM   
kell01

I’d say this is a good poll that is very reflective of what people think…….. But, Spawn is way; way to far down the list and Spidey & Wolverine should be higher. I am surprised that there is no mention of the iconic ‘Deaths Head’ who should have made the list due to his cool wit & demeanor not to mention his sharp humor, and if anyone looks the part, he does. I mean come on he has it all doesn’t he?

(in reply to Vertigo...Woo.Yay.)
Post #: 208
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 22/7/2008 7:05:23 PM   
Hanzo_Magnus

nice list... but come on! where's THE  CROW?????

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 209
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 22/7/2008 9:41:15 PM   
matty1

hey, its matty1 from b4. again on the comic book characters. were's jonny storm (the human torch) from the fantastic four in comic book world. he's 1 of the best kings of cool. i also would of liked to av seen cycolops (i know your all gonna groan when i say this) from x-men as seen as so many comic book characters are really out of this world people, it would be nice2 c sum1 normal. as 4 the catwoman, harvey dent/two face debeate. havey dent as ad the more tragic story. although catwoman has far more mystery to her. im not sayin who's the best. they should of both been in the list. although there's only 1 catwoman on screen an thats michelle phiffers (pure brilliant). as 4 halle berrys version well the least said bout that the better. she's also terribly miscast in x-men as storm. Angela bassest was originally set to play storm in x-men but she left for payment reasons i think. an Im still pissed constatine is higher than spiderman an wolverwine. AS IF!!!!!!!!!!!!

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI