Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 12/7/2008 4:24:19 PM   
Najemikon

quote:

ORIGINAL: princemadonna

I think it's all personal taste, I'd put Batman or Spider-man as number one and I think Judge Dread is one of the worst comic characters ever, he looks like a complete idiot.
I think it's a good idea to get ppl involved in comics, they are after all the readers - 'Death in the family' is one of the most important Batman story arc's. Can you name a JDread one? That was one of the worst comic book movies ever as well. SS sucked big time.

You're right on two counts. The Dredd movie was terrible. Why you even mention it I have no idea! If you're trying to demonstrate why Dredd is a bad character (in your opinion!), don't mention the film. No fan thinks it's any good at all anyway. Also you're right that it is personal taste, which is also influenced by the huge differences in style between the average British and average American comic.

Both have their gems though and I do have my favourite US stories. Name a Dredd one? Don't be daft, I could name a dozen! But if you don't like a character then it won't make any difference to you. For sake of argument, Cursed Earth, Song of the Surfer, Necropolis, Judge Child, Apocalypse War, Democracy... off the top of my head. Spin-off classics include Young Death and several Judge Anderson epics. But my absolute favourite and one of the very best comic stories ever is America. Do yourself a favour and check it out. It's less about Dredd and more about the city. Dredd vs. Batman is silly, but topical. Works quite well with classic art by Simon Bisley.

You can't be too snobbish on either side when they use the same writers/artists like Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons (of Watchmen) for instance.

(in reply to princemadonna)
Post #: 151
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 12/7/2008 4:40:43 PM   
princemadonna

I do like some Dread stuff and now you name a few of the stories they're up to standard. Guess I never got into the whole mythology of him though. I think I judged him too much on that movie when I was younger LOL. - They should try it again. Although I'm sure some fans will have liked it... (maybe LOL)
You can't be snobby about the comic world - you're right, some of the best stuff is indie etc. I don't think it's really an American Vs. British thing either, we both have great comics and characters - as I said, I think it's personal choice and which characters you relate to. I think every imprtant character will have great stories, depends on the writers - but I still think its going back to that main character you relate to. I've always loved Batman, but mostly the villains - they nearly always steal the show for me. I'm sad to see Catwoman finishing at the moment, Selina Kyle always holds something for me - because she's neither good or bad - she's in that grey area. Also love Spidey in some of his arcs etc etc. Love graphic novels :) 

(in reply to Najemikon)
Post #: 152
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 13/7/2008 12:32:43 AM   
sanchia

Being pedantic I know but Deadpool isn't a mutant he is a mutate having had his healing factor bestowed upon him by the Weapon X program.

I have to agree that I personally think Superman shouldn't be number 1 in the list.  Yes he is iconic in that he was one of the early superhero figures (admittedly back then just a muscley figure who leaped long distances rather than flying) but at the same time he is one of the characters who has evolved the least other than during the reboot in the 80's whereby he was changed from the godlike figure who could juggle planets and reignite suns with his heat vision to a more realistic figure who gained powers from storing solar energy but event then the character has never really moved on.  I must admit that in the last couple of years my dislike for the character has increased but at the same time I recognise he should be in the top 5 but I would say 3 or lower than 3 as there are definitely stronger plotted and constructed characters out there (with the abomination of what Marvel are doing to Spiderman at the moment I wrtie him out of that top 5 as well as the last 20 years of stories no longer exists in continuity). 

It was good to see a nice diverse mix in the list such as the Mekon and Usagi Yojimbo.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 153
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 13/7/2008 1:48:55 PM   
calmorrison

NO SILVER SURFER!!!!!?????

(in reply to Vertigo...Woo.Yay.)
Post #: 154
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 13/7/2008 3:32:07 PM   
princemadonna

So who else here hates the Spider-man 'Brand New Day' plot??? I'm more annoyed with how they've treated the characters in the movies - giving MJ Gwen Stacy's story arc in the original and then introducing her in the third movie was a big no no for me. I hated it. Like the movies but wish they'd stayed truer to the comics with Gwen anyway.
The BND storyline is ridiculous I admit, and I have to worry about a guy who would pick his Aunt over his sexy girlfriend. Plus, Aunt May is at deaths door - how many heart attacks has she had now? LOL.
Gwen Stacy fan

(in reply to calmorrison)
Post #: 155
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 13/7/2008 5:02:41 PM   
peteabel

And what about Nemesis the Warlock? Surely one of the greatest ever from 2000AD

Post #: 156
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 13/7/2008 7:30:14 PM   
sanchia

quote:

So who else here hates the Spider-man 'Brand New Day' plot??? I'm more annoyed with how they've treated the characters in the movies - giving MJ Gwen Stacy's story arc in the original and then introducing her in the third movie was a big no no for me. I hated it. Like the movies but wish they'd stayed truer to the comics with Gwen anyway.
The BND storyline is ridiculous I admit, and I have to worry about a guy who would pick his Aunt over his sexy girlfriend. Plus, Aunt May is at deaths door - how many heart attacks has she had now? LOL.
Gwen Stacy fan

And he is now a 30 odd year old bloke living in his Aunts spare room and working part time as a photographer.  They have turned him from a bloke who was married to a gorgeous supermodel and had found a career as a teacher into pretty much a loser who hangs around with his millionnaire friend (how the hell is Harry back, he died?) and tries to date twenty something women who hang out in nightclubs.  How is this an advancement to the character when they are taking him backwards?  And it was all down to Joe Quesada deciding he didn't like the marriage thing.  Now every week it is oops I've run out of web fluid. 

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 157
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 13/7/2008 8:43:28 PM   
Olaf

Pretty good list, nice to see a good mix of mainstream/leftfield characters...but Spider-Man "is one spider that thrives in the bright light"? His finest story was (the incredibly dark) Kraven's Last Hunt...

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 158
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 14/7/2008 12:06:50 PM   
britesparc

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

quote:

Gwen Stacy fan

And he is now a 30 odd year old bloke living in his Aunts spare room and working part time as a photographer.  They have turned him from a bloke who was married to a gorgeous supermodel and had found a career as a teacher into pretty much a loser who hangs around with his millionnaire friend (how the hell is Harry back, he died?) and tries to date twenty something women who hang out in nightclubs.  How is this an advancement to the character when they are taking him backwards?  And it was all down to Joe Quesada deciding he didn't like the marriage thing.  Now every week it is oops I've run out of web fluid. 

When I first read Spidey, he was already married to MJ so I've always been a big fan of her's.  They've always been married, from my point of view.  So retconning the marriage hasn't "restored" anything but a big fat bowl of confusion for this particular fan...

So, yeah, I agree - One More Day is dreadful, dreadful, dreadful.  It's bullshit that marrying a character diminishes the stories you can tell, or ages them (they were they cool young married couple!  C'mon!).  And it was done in such a crap, cheap way, and now Spidey is a loser.

I stopped reading after OMD, so I don't even know if the current stories are really good or not.  But until they come up with a plausible explanation for why he acted like a cock, or retcon the marriage back into continuity, I'm not buying another Spidey comic.  He just ain't my Spidey anymore.  I'm actually praying he's a Skrull, right about now.

< Message edited by britesparc -- 14/7/2008 12:07:32 PM >

You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 159
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 14/7/2008 2:31:49 PM   
etatau

I haven't read all the thread, but has anyone mentioned Rogue - the real Rogue that is - not the little lost girl of the films (sorry Singer). She was/is the best female character from any of the traditional comics.

(in reply to Najemikon)
Post #: 160
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 14/7/2008 4:49:00 PM   
darkestknight

what happened to Mighty Thor?

(in reply to etatau)
Post #: 161
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 14/7/2008 5:08:08 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: britesparc

quote:

quote:

Gwen Stacy fan

When I first read Spidey, he was already married to MJ so I've always been a big fan of her's.  They've always been married, from my point of view.  So retconning the marriage hasn't "restored" anything but a big fat bowl of confusion for this particular fan...

So, yeah, I agree - One More Day is dreadful, dreadful, dreadful.  It's bullshit that marrying a character diminishes the stories you can tell, or ages them (they were they cool young married couple!  C'mon!).  And it was done in such a crap, cheap way, and now Spidey is a loser.

I stopped reading after OMD, so I don't even know if the current stories are really good or not.  But until they come up with a plausible explanation for why he acted like a cock, or retcon the marriage back into continuity, I'm not buying another Spidey comic.  He just ain't my Spidey anymore.  I'm actually praying he's a Skrull, right about now.

In fairness, I know a lot of long term (like 70s onward) Spidey fans who say that, as much as OMD sucked, the new stories are the best and most characteristic spidey stories since the eighties. Personally I stick to Ultimate Spider-Man (it rocks !).

(in reply to britesparc)
Post #: 162
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 14/7/2008 5:58:37 PM   
Barlet

One of the worst list ever.I mean seriously, no Catwoman?No Two Face??And boring red underpants number one???Seriously i expect better from people that call themselfs professionals.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 163
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 14/7/2008 6:14:48 PM   
princemadonna

quote:

ORIGINAL: cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: britesparc

quote:

quote:

Gwen Stacy fan

In fairness, I know a lot of long term (like 70s onward) Spidey fans who say that, as much as OMD sucked, the new stories are the best and most characteristic spidey stories since the eighties. Personally I stick to Ultimate Spider-Man (it rocks !).

I have to disagree - I've been sticking with ASM to see if they do go anywhere positive with it - but so far, nothing - zip! The stories are now written for children, they were dealing with better issues in the seventies (drugs,peerpressure,death). The most important thing to me with Spider-man, and always has been, is his personal life. Uncle Ben, M.J, Gwen, Harry, Flash etc etc - the supporting characters have always been awesome, and I mostly read it to see his personal life and them. Not him fighting a different and new villain every single week (which is literally what it is now) - and MJ being that 'Jackpot' is so childish. Now all he does is fight, there's no back story - it's boring. Peter Parker's life was what drew in the fans, not Spidey fighting. Like I said, it seems like it's being written for kids. And if they were going to take it back - why not take him back to high-school where all the characters we love could be in new stories?? And is he suppossed to be young again - that's what I thought?  It's really bugging me at the moment, but I'll give it a while longer to see if it can come up with anything adult.
I like Ultimate Spidey as well, but at the same time - I have issues with that, again they killed off Gwen, when she was brought into it as one of the most interesting characters. They said she was boring, so that was why they killed her in ASM and then just turned M.J into what her character was anyway.
As said, I liked him married and older too - it gave the character depth (plus who doesn't love MJ???)
I wanted Aunt May to die. She's been having heart attacks since the seventies LOL. She looked like a corpse when JR was drawing her - I think it's time they got rid, the character has nothing left to give. He already had a replacement victim he loved with M.J. I know a lot of ppl have stopped reading ASM but a lot (because of the movies probs) have started, but they don't know what they're missing out on. Hopefully they'll get some good writers on board and bring it back to where they left it before OMD.

< Message edited by princemadonna -- 14/7/2008 6:23:07 PM >

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 164
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 14/7/2008 6:45:36 PM   
VincentHanna

Pretty decent list, althought some of my own personal favourites were missing, but then it was never going to be an all-singing, all-dancing list.
Worthy additions (in my own so-humble opinion):
V
Bone
Green Arrow
Cassidy
Tulip

And that's about it, thanks.

No one's listening to you. If you wanna complain, write it on a piece of paper. And shove it up your ass.

Post #: 165
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 14/7/2008 7:44:41 PM   
CaptainAverage

Coupla things: [1] Daredevil was co-created by Stan Lee and legendary Golden Age artist Bill Everett [The Sub-Mariner], not Stan & Jack; [2] I really can't understand leaving Will Eisner's The Spirit off the list - Eisner's innovative, cinematic style made The Spirit the first masked comics hero to appeal to adults as well as kids and influenced more artists than any other [after all, they don't call them The Eisner Awards for nothing...].

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 166
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 14/7/2008 9:21:18 PM   
Spion

What, no Lobo? He would be fantastic on film & is as good as any here. Agree with Grendel but Batman at No2? No chance he's the best by far....

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 167
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 14/7/2008 9:55:17 PM   
rko_your_ass

to be honest i think superman is an overrated superhero, all you have to do is throw a bit of metal at him and he dies. Im more of a marvel comics person but i have to say batman should be up there with wolverine and magneto. Also i think spawn and venom should be higher. 

Post #: 168
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 14/7/2008 9:55:43 PM   
pablohoolio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barlet
One of the worst list ever.I mean seriously, no Catwoman?No Two Face??And boring red underpants number one???Seriously i expect better from people that call themselfs professionals.

Genius. It's not a Batman villains list you know?
The only glaring omission to me is Silver Surfer.

"It's all.... part of the plan...."

(in reply to Barlet)
Post #: 169
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 15/7/2008 3:25:54 AM   
jusflem

I'm depressed!
Where on earth is the warp-spasming, half God - half Chav?
Do I need to mention his name? Slaine!!!!!
I'm heartened to see some 2000AD Characters - but Halo Jones?  Where's Sam Slade - Nemesis & Torquemada - Rogue Trooper - DR & Quinch?
What about Charley's War from Battle?  Is this list compiled for the benefit of our foreign readers or are the eighties out of bounds?
Comics are for kids and these characters were designed for kids, not adults - unlike many of the 'comic book' characters.  Whilst entertaining my adult mind, Watchmen & Hellboy never had the peverse magic those 2000AD characters held for the brain of a 10 year old - Superman is famous, not great in my world.  Batman has only recently become good.  Many of the other American superheroes were also 2-dimensional and are still child like, whereas the 2000AD characters still have a great depth to them and they should be praised more for crimeny's sake!

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 170
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 15/7/2008 12:10:03 PM   
lukeyboy

I'd like to know the criteria for the "50 greatest Comic book characters" because, although it was alot of fun and probably (definitely) not meant to be taken too seriously, ......i gotta ask why the likes of Dr Manhattan the Comedian or Nite Owl from Watchmen (only the Holy Grail of comic books) weren't in it, Thor, The Silver Surfer and Proffessor X from the Marvel Universe were omitted, and Green Arrow and  The Flash (i dont recall him being there) from DC's mainstream universe weren't there, (also a special mention for Cassidey from Preacher)......but a fucking Samurai Rabbit was? 

And Lex Luthor should've been alot higher up the list! But i was glad to see Jesse Custer, The Saint of Killers, Dream and Rorshach in there, .......and I had alot of fun going through the list!

I feel like i'm Han Solo, your Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi - and we're in that FUCKED UP bar!!

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 171
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 15/7/2008 2:41:43 PM   
mark g

constantine and wolverine ahead of the amazing spiderman?  i can only think the people who put this list together are on strong mind altering drugs.  spidey should be in the top three at least,  his last three movies have generated over a billion dollars at the box office.  compare that to the very average supes returns,  even batman cant compare at the box office. nuff said

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 172
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 15/7/2008 5:18:10 PM   
TheDudeisAlive

HIGHER FOR DEADPOOL!!

(in reply to mark g)
Post #: 173
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 16/7/2008 3:39:53 AM   
KingMobbed

THANKYOU EMPIRE FOR THIS FEATURE. WHEN I SAW IT IN WIZARD GUIDE TO COMICS A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO I SHIT MYSELF A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO AND NOW I GET IT AGAIN ONLY ON MUM'S COMPUTER. CAN WE GET THE NEXT 50 AFTER THAT? EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT I'M SURE YOU AGREE. YES I AM VOTING FOR SUPERMAN TO GO HIGHER UP THE LIST SO WE'LL SEE HOW THAT GOES. THIS IS THE BEST EVER AND I JUST CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT 50 AFTER THAT MAYBE INCLUDE PEOPLE OFF THE TELLY NEXT TIME AND THANKS SO MUCH.

(in reply to TheDudeisAlive)
Post #: 174
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 16/7/2008 8:40:39 AM   
tftrman

quote:

ORIGINAL: mark g

constantine and wolverine ahead of the amazing spiderman?  i can only think the people who put this list together are on strong mind altering drugs.  spidey should be in the top three at least,  his last three movies have generated over a billion dollars at the box office.  compare that to the very average supes returns,  even batman cant compare at the box office. nuff said

It's not called The 50 Greatest Comic Book Character's Box Office Returns.

(in reply to mark g)
Post #: 175
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 16/7/2008 9:04:54 AM   
Mat1az

Where's "The Phantom"???

Post #: 176
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 16/7/2008 1:34:02 PM   
hipcheck

Kudos for a varied, eclectic list, and of course, being a veteran of list creation, I know how impossible it is to include all the right people.  A personal caveat for me is that I don't read a lot of DC, so I would have different choices.

But so few X-Men?  Wolverine is obviously the most popular, but Jean Grey/Phoenix is easily the most compelling.  I'd at least have her on there.

I agree Silver Surfer is too classic to leave off.

And let's not mention the sacreligious movie, but Elektra should be pretty high, she's one of the great heroines/villainesses without a doubt.

Deadpool is fine, but he's a pale shadow of The Badger -- shame to leave him off.

And finally, the most glaring omission, especially on a list with non-majors, is NEXUS.  This, to me, is the most interesting, most compelling character ever, and although he doesn't have the longevity of Sup, the movies of Bats or the following of Wolverine, there's never been a better written and drawn character.  Major deductions for leaving old Horatio off the list!

Post #: 177
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 16/7/2008 6:42:11 PM   
Barlet

quote:

ORIGINAL: KingMobbed

THANKYOU EMPIRE FOR THIS FEATURE. WHEN I SAW IT IN WIZARD GUIDE TO COMICS A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO I SHIT MYSELF A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO AND NOW I GET IT AGAIN ONLY ON MUM'S COMPUTER. CAN WE GET THE NEXT 50 AFTER THAT? EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT I'M SURE YOU AGREE. YES I AM VOTING FOR SUPERMAN TO GO HIGHER UP THE LIST SO WE'LL SEE HOW THAT GOES. THIS IS THE BEST EVER AND I JUST CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT 50 AFTER THAT MAYBE INCLUDE PEOPLE OFF THE TELLY NEXT TIME AND THANKS SO MUCH.

(in reply to KingMobbed)
Post #: 178
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 17/7/2008 5:50:29 PM   
Fonz

Found out about this from a link in another forum that I frequent on a regular basis.

Fair enough, Supes was the first of his breed and is as much a recognisable icon as any of his peers. Still doesn't stop him being as boring as hell though, and I can't think of anything remotely interesting that the character has done in the last twenty years. I guess any list like this is purely subjective and exists to be picked apart, agreed with by some and ridiculed by others. It's all part of the fun. That said, whoever compiled the list is clearly a lunatic of epic proportions for not having Spidey in the top three at least.  

And Captain Haddock? Ok, I loved Tin Tin when I was a kid but is he really one of the 50 greater characters of all time and more deserving of a spot than say Dan Dare, Jean Grey, Catwoman or even Tin Tin himself? I think not.

Respect though for including Deena Pilgrim and it's good to see Dredd in the top 10.

(in reply to Barlet)
Post #: 179
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 17/7/2008 7:25:58 PM   
bentherock

I just want to know where the hell were deaths head & blue devil?

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI