Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 5:15:37 PM   
darkraven

While the list was an interesting read and i agreed with quite a few of the rankings, id just like to say it was a dissapointment that Charles Xavier wasnt in the list as well as a good few other X men members! I would have liked to see iron man higher and im not sure whether superman would have been my first choice even though he is awesome.

(in reply to Vertigo...Woo.Yay.)
Post #: 91
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 5:22:25 PM   
Gator MacReady

Big, gay Superman is number 1?

Where the hell is Howard the Duck?

Post #: 92
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 5:41:44 PM   
puggled

What dip shit put Superman ahead of Batman. Do you even know what a comic is? Fecking eejit.
The guys a legend. Superman is a one dimensional frustated gay bloke that can't even cop off with Louis Lane. Christ what next another Bush in power.

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 93
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 5:45:23 PM   
Filmo Criticatus

Hey! Superman rocks! Well done Empire on putting Superman ahead of Batman, well done indeed. Without Superman, Batman would probably not exist, so I think people like you need to show a little respect, eh?

To the Ramboat!

(in reply to puggled)
Post #: 94
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 5:54:26 PM   
danbo1138

oh and what about Thrud the Barbarian?
(my two pence below)
superman has got to be one of the dullest comic charcters ever.i read the 'great' Death of Superman because i was told it was brill.one note shit,about as deep as a puddle.the fukker spends to much time mincing around lois lane...like i give a fuck.total bollocks imo.if i wanted romance i would read mills and boone.he is,so they say super,more powers than soft mick,he can fly,lazer beam heat vision, strengh and so on,but he keeps getting his arse handed to him by a bald human?just pick the guy up and fly him to a desert isand job done,end of.super guilble more like.tosh.imo.

< Message edited by danbo1138 -- 9/7/2008 6:13:43 PM >

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

(in reply to Filmo Criticatus)
Post #: 95
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 6:38:49 PM   
casherbc

oh my god, where's the silver surfer, gallactus, judge death, rogue trooper, the darkness, icould go on for weeks, superman no#1 ,dont make me laugh, you all know the joker should have won.

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 96
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 7:31:12 PM   
danbo1138

quote:

ORIGINAL: casherbc

rogue trooper

oh man i forgot about Rouge Trooper,that chap needs a film directed by Ridley Scott with a 120million budget...NOW.

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

(in reply to casherbc)
Post #: 97
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 7:50:10 PM   
Slinkson

And another thing where are Galactus , Silver Surfer , Thor, Hercules ,and Zenith from 2000AD ?

My top 10 list would be

1- Wolverine.
2- Cable.
3- Storm.
4-Batman
5-Midnighter + Apollo.
6-Hulk.
7-Oracle.
8-Prof X.
9-Thor
10-Beta Ray Bill

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 98
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 8:08:19 PM   
cerebusboy

RE: Cerebus

Alan Moore is obviously a feminist, and he called Reads (including the infamous #186) the closest thing to a mystical experience in print he's read. I would maintain that it's a mistake to read it (or any fiction) as ideology first and foremost, and dismiss it on that basis. Certainly the "message" changed, but the allegedly misogynistic elements of Cerebus are very much consistent with the strengths of the first half; it wouldn't say much for the merits of Jaka's Story if its most notable feature was being implicilty pro-feminist.  Wouldn't you agree that it would be a bit strange for somebody to like the ending of Church and State because they agreed with what the judge was saying and assumed it represented Dave's views?

(in reply to Slinkson)
Post #: 99
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 8:16:19 PM   
Indio

quote:

ORIGINAL: danbo1138

what no johnny fart pants? or buster gonad?

no Sid The Sexist either

and I know Desperate Dan got a mention on Judge Dredds page, but he was more worthy of inclusion than some of those who made the cut.

Apart from that, a pretty good list, although Captain Haddock should have been higher.

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 100
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 8:49:16 PM   
Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

quote:

ORIGINAL: cerebusboy

RE: Cerebus

Alan Moore is obviously a feminist, and he called Reads (including the infamous #186) the closest thing to a mystical experience in print he's read.

Much as I admire Moore, him simply liking of something I don't like doesn't actually invalidate or counter my argument.

quote:

Wouldn't you agree that it would be a bit strange for somebody to like the ending of Church and State because they agreed with what the judge was saying and assumed it represented Dave's views?

Not if he'd already said it represents his views. Which is where this goes a bit circular.

< Message edited by Vertigo...Woo.Yay. -- 9/7/2008 8:50:54 PM >

"Things are going to get pretty interesting..."
"Define 'interesting'"
"Oh God, Oh God, we're all gonna die?"

If only we could harness Otis Ferry for good...
All hail Hypnotoad

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 101
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 9:28:19 PM   
cerebusboy

I wasn't citing Moore as some sort of "he likes it, so should you" point; merely indicating a reaction from someone on the other end of the ideological spectrum from Dave, indicating that Reads isn't *just* propaganda (I'm not sure it's propaganda at all). It's not some sort of repellent typed out manifesto, and dragging in Dave's private views doesn't negate his fiction. 

Post #: 102
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 10/7/2008 5:17:48 AM   
jedihog

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tex Hex

Have to ask though-am I now the only one who didnt mind topher grace as eddie brock? I mean, I know he's not like he is in the comics, but Im sure Raimi was revamping the character to be like an evil version of Parker, which came across quite well to me :S Although ever since all I can think about is how much better the trilogy couldn have been with Grace AS Parker-particularly if they had stuck more with the smart ass Spidey...watch That 70's Show and its pretty damn obvious the guy can pull of sardonic yet nerdy teen, which was what Spidey always was to me, not just flat out nerd.

Your not the only one. I thought he was good but would have been even better then Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker.

My top 3:Batman,Superman,Spider-Man

You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry....wait..thats not right.-The Incredible Hulk

(in reply to Tex Hex)
Post #: 103
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 10/7/2008 8:04:00 AM   
ron10

where the hell is the silver surfer?

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 104
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 10/7/2008 9:08:18 AM   
fmluder

Good varied list but where is Eric Draven as the Crow???

(in reply to darkraven)
Post #: 105
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 10/7/2008 9:16:47 AM   
jimoakley666

quote:

ORIGINAL: britesparc

I've always found some people's hatred of Superman to be rather funny.  They bitch about him being "old-fashioned" and say that Batman could "beat him" and suchlike.  I remember my brother, when he was younger, watching the Justice League cartoon and whinging about Superman in a similar vein: Batman's better coz he's darker.

Well, yes, some of that may be true, and certainly Batman is "darker".  But Superman is an eternally optimistic character, a figurehead and an icon, who exemplifies not just an entire industry and artform (and whether he's the greatest comic book character or not, to most people in the world, Superman is the face of superheroes specifically and comic books in general) but an ideal.  That's what he is: an idealist.

People often talk about Supes and Bats being yin and yang, light and dark, and I think that's true to a certain extent.  They're both archetypes, can be represented as almost 2D characters if you want (that rarely happens nowadays), but basically they're both wearing capes and tights and pants but one is bright blue and red and the other is grey and black.  One has almost unlimited power, the other zilch.  One is (oooh, he's getting pretentious!) a god trying to live as a man, the other is a man striving for god-hood.

In my opinion, any list of the greatest comic book characters needs to have both Superman and Batman very near the top (personally, I'd have a top five that read something like Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, the Joker, and Wolverine - and it's very painful to not include Robin in that list but this is "greatest" and not "my favourite"!).  People who find him old-fashioned or anachronistic haven't read a (good) Superman comic recently, and are to a large extent missing the point.  Maybe he seems a bit goofy, but like I say, he's a figurehead, and how ridiculous he appears is entirely dependent on how he's written.

I never said I hated him. He's just a boring character. Let me put it this way. I limit myself to 10 comic titles a month. Bloody expensive as is. Superman is not in nor anywhere near that ten titles. Not because I hate the book / character but because I have no interest in the character and it's because the character never develops. Never moves on. He's got all the powers, tough as hell and has been around so long that I think writers, Grant Morrison being an exception, are just to bored to think of anything to do with him.

Superman to me is a rather stagnant character. That does'nt make him great. He's too tough and to moral and imobile because of it. A great charater should be more 'human'. Faults. Weeknesses (and don't give me the old Kriptonite speil because that is just one mcguffin).

That is why I like Wolverine and think he's the number 1 greatest. He started left field. A minor back-up charater who became a group character and just kept on upping in popularity. Superman never had to climb. He started off on the top with his own story in action comics and his own comic straight away.

Wolverine shows history, development (how much has he changed over the years?)

So It's nothing personal against Superman, mate. I am thinking logically. But then, these things are always subjective.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

(in reply to britesparc)
Post #: 106
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 10/7/2008 10:05:30 AM   
britesparc

jimoakley, I sorta know what you mean - if I'm honest, I don't normally buy Superman titles, either (I'm far more into Batman, as you may have gathered from my total man-crush on Dick Grayson).  But I don't think necessarily he's a stagnant character.  As someone who does lots of writing myself, I think there's loads of mileage in someone essentially godlike who feels shackled by his powers, unable to relate to normal people, etc, etc.  But it's true that it makes him much harder to write for than characters such as Wolvie and Bats, who have many other facets and suchlike.  Plus I stand by my argument that he's an icon of the genre, and should be represented as such.

However, I was directing my post more at people like this:

quote:

ORIGINAL: puggled

Superman is a one dimensional frustated gay bloke that can't even cop off with Louis Lane. Christ what next another Bush in power.

You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

(in reply to puggled)
Post #: 107
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 10/7/2008 10:58:43 AM   
tftrman

quote:

ORIGINAL: danbo1138

quote:

ORIGINAL: casherbc

rogue trooper

oh man i forgot about Rouge Trooper,that chap needs a film directed by Ridley Scott with a 120million budget...NOW.

I second that motion.

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 108
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 10/7/2008 12:01:17 PM   
Fanboyslayer

quote:

ORIGINAL: britesparc

Catwoman should have been there, tho, just coz she's smokin' hot

I know! She's one of my favourites. I admit the comics have been pretty rubbish of late but she's still a very cool character.

Shame there was no Judge Death either. Great villian.

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

(in reply to britesparc)
Post #: 109
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 10/7/2008 12:09:55 PM   
peteabel

Great list but just for your information there is a movie about Death in development produced by GDT and directed by Gaiman himself. Shia Leboeuf and Selma Blair tipped to take the leads

(in reply to Fanboyslayer)
Post #: 110
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 10/7/2008 12:32:40 PM   
Gethin23

Don't think Superman should be number one, he's too perfect in a way and DC, while Marvel is much better. And where the hell is Elektra? Even though her film sucked, she is the best Comic Book Character of all time; Elektra: Assassin is one of the best Graphic Novels ever made.

(in reply to peteabel)
Post #: 111
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 10/7/2008 12:55:27 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Depends which version of Superman you look at.  If you look at Clark from Smallville he's not that perfect.  He's a troubled guy who wants to be Clark and not Kal-El.  He has lost his father and his mother has moved away.  He's afraid of hurting his friends and he's lost his best friend to the dark side (Lex) Without Lana and his folks Clark could have ended up like Lex where absolute power and money have corrupted him... 

(in reply to Gethin23)
Post #: 112
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 10/7/2008 1:24:24 PM   
lisamoorish

I personally have to agree that Superman has stagnated, as a character. Marrying him off to Lois Lane was a big mistake. Batman is infinitely more interesting.

However, I do think Supes deseves to be at #1 because he is the well from which every other superhero flows. No Superman, no Batman, no Spidey, etc.

(in reply to Gethin23)
Post #: 113
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 10/7/2008 2:23:31 PM   
starl

The list was way too superhero-centric. You call the list "50 greatest Comic Book Characters" - and then fill it up with superheros and supervillains. That's actually even a bit misleading.

I'm glad of Dream's and John Constantine's place in the top10 and also of the likes of Jesse Custer and Spider Jerusalem and Rorschach featuring such high as they did, but seriously, where are (and just for the example!):

- Corto Maltese (surely #1 on many other's books than just mine?)
- Luther Arkwright (he's the most british timetraveller after, you now, the one with the phone booth, and you of all magazines left him out?)
- V (from Vendetta, only the iconic idea of the word)
- Delirium (well, since you did have two of the Endless so I guess this can at least be forgiven)
- Scrooge McDuck (the portrait Don Rosa paints of him in his "Life and Times" -series is really up there with Citizen Kane)
- Bigby Wolf (the Wolverine-esque ace character of the Fables, my favourite comic book around at the moment)
- Ming the Merciless (the moth...father of all über-baddies)
- Animal Man (look, I would even add one intelligent superhero instead of all those bland ones you included!)

...and many more, actually. I didn't even begin on the 'humorous' characters such as Calvin, Charlie Brown or Dilbert. It might be that you left them out on purpose, but why then did you choose to call your list "the greatest comic book characters"?

Also, it saddens me even more to see that so many of you would have voted such forgettable superhero like the Green Lantern even higher than #40 - and such an original creation as Cerebus himself even lower than #38. And that so many of you dislike the great captain Haddock, one of the most original and inspiring characters on your list, and one that should have featured a lot higher even if he doesn't wear tights and is drawn in a bit of a childish way.

But maybe I'm truly alone with this, being a foreigner from northern Europe and all - maybe you all in Britain just are so keen on superheros.

< Message edited by starl -- 10/7/2008 2:25:12 PM >

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 114
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 10/7/2008 3:15:06 PM   
poddy

Why no Rogue Trooper [2000 AD], or am I not clued up on what makes a great comic character. He's one that has remained with me since the eighties, so he must of had an effect on me. Seem to remember him looking mean and moody, slightly blue / green, baddass attitude and dispatched anyone and anything that got in his way.........
Why no movie ? That question is for Empire ?

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 115
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 10/7/2008 3:24:56 PM   
dreddhead

Great to see Judge Dredd figure so highly in the top 50, he's often overlooked in favour of more predictable US characters.
Nice to see Halo Jones feature too, though I would have placed her higher, as she's one of those rare fully rounded Female characters you don't often find in comic books-as a side note, I'd have Hannah Spearritt cast over Piper(though you're right about the lips).
Strontium Dog too-all power to 2000ad.
No Judge Death, Judge Anderson or The ABC Warriors was a shame. Also suprised  by the omission of The Crow and V For Vandetta. But over all the pole was a pretty comprehensive list.
Here's hoping the new Punisher movie will be a success, though I'll miss Thomas Jane in the roll.

Splundig Vur Thrigg!

(in reply to darkraven)
Post #: 116
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 10/7/2008 4:11:31 PM   
JRockwell

They've both been mentioned by the great Empire readers. Silver Surfer and Gambit's absence leave a gaping hole in this list. Batman's so much cooler than Supes it's untrue.

(in reply to dreddhead)
Post #: 117
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 10/7/2008 4:58:15 PM   
JRockwell

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gator MacReady

Big, gay Superman is number 1?

Where the hell is Howard the Duck?

That is well funny.

(in reply to Gator MacReady)
Post #: 118
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 10/7/2008 5:57:31 PM   
Wizzard

Decent enough list but how could the GREATEST X-VILLAIN of all time been left out -Apocalypse. One of the few who has remade the world in his image- AOA- and always gives the xmen a good kicking. If he is in the next x-men film i will forget about the last stand. I agree Batman should have been number 1 better villains, usually has to use his head/batcomputer to beat the criminals. Ghost rider and V should have both been in the list. How many heroes look as cool as ghost rider and are hunting the devil to drag his ass down to hell. V just looks cool and how many heroes run around blowing up major landmarks and do what he does to his sidekick. V for vendetta best comic book film I've seen nothing comes close to it. Wolverine could kick spidey ass with both arms tied behind his back and is close to unstoppable thats why he is so high on the list.  

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 119
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 10/7/2008 7:06:02 PM   
AriochRIP

Where the hell is the Avenging Son, Prince Namor the Sub-Mariner?  If you're going to give Superman props for longevity, Namor deserves the same respect. Great, underrated character who is still an integral part of the Marvel Universe well over 60 years after his creation.

As much as I hate Superman, I can't argue with him being #1.  But the top 3 HAS to be: 1. Superman, 2. Spider-Man, 3. Batman.  Anything else puts the whole list in question.

(in reply to Wizzard)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI