Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 1:20:39 AM   
pleakhouse

OK OK so where is Wally West/The Flash. Don't get me wrong the others all are pretty good. I don't read comics really but I know what I like, and a cocky son-of-a-bitch with a heart of gold and an overactive libido who always has a snappy reply. How can you be cooler?

(in reply to Vertigo...Woo.Yay.)
Post #: 61
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 1:40:35 AM   
gambit21

on that basis pleakhouse Gambit should definitely be there. I'm also glad to see Marv there. But where was allan Quartermain though, got to be included surely. Also Doc Oc or Green Goblin should be in instead of venom. Especially the Goblin, the whole Osborne story is brilliant.

(in reply to pleakhouse)
Post #: 62
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 1:47:42 AM   
kinge247

quote:

ORIGINAL: matthewforan

Jesse Custer looks like a good character, I've never read any of the Preacher books. He looks like someone Heath Ledger may have played but since his passing maybe Joseph Gordon-Levitt even Casey Affleck.

Preacher is one of the best comics ever written, you must go out and buy it tomorrow. Its shocking, sick, un pc, brilliantly written and illustrated and Kevin Smith loves it which is not a bad thing.

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 63
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 2:59:54 AM   
bychance

Superman is a undisputed locked spot as #1, point blank. Honestly, the only way why some would even suggest Batman "should be number one" is is because they prefer his character, which is a general bias. I would of had The Joker far higher than #8, maybe somewhere around #5-6 and Spider-Man right after Batman at the #3 spot.

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Comedian

That was a real good read, but Batman should have been higher, with Joker 2nd and Optimus Prime should have been in there too. I would have had this top 5....

1.Batman
2. The Joker
3. Spider-Man
4. Rorschach
5. Superman (although I dont like him, cant deny what he means to people).

Spidey is my personal fave, but Batman is the greatest character ever concieved, with the Joker very very very close behind. Comedy and Tragedy.... gotta love it!

Superman at number 5? Give me a break

(in reply to The Comedian)
Post #: 64
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 6:41:41 AM   
Slinkson

Cant belive that Emma Frost White Queen is in there but no Storm , Cyclops, Beast ,Angel, Iceman,Cable , Apocalypse , Sabretooth etc .Personally would have put Wolverine at number 1 not Superman as he is a character I feel is stuck in the 50s , Overall enjoyed the list looking upmy fave characters and reading the comments . 

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 65
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 9:35:25 AM   
jimoakley666

Where are Lono, Dr Octopus, Lobster Johnson, Prof Xavier, Jean Grey/Phoenix, Cassandra Nova and Cyclops on this damned list?

1- Wolverine
2- Batman
3- Spider-man
4- Magneto
5- Hellboy

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

(in reply to Slinkson)
Post #: 66
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 9:36:14 AM   
jimoakley666

And Nick Fury, for that matter?

(in reply to jimoakley666)
Post #: 67
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 9:41:46 AM   
jimoakley666

quote:

ORIGINAL: bychance

Superman is a undisputed locked spot as #1, point blank. Honestly, the only way why some would even suggest Batman "should be number one" is is because they prefer his character, which is a general bias. I would of had The Joker far higher than #8, maybe somewhere around #5-6 and Spider-Man right after Batman at the #3 spot.

quote:

That was a real good read, but Batman should have been higher, with Joker 2nd and Optimus Prime should have been in there too. I would have had this top 5....

1.Batman
2. The Joker
3. Spider-Man
4. Rorschach

Spidey is my personal fave, but Batman is the greatest character ever concieved, with the Joker very very very close behind. Comedy and Tragedy.... gotta love it!

"the only way why some would even suggest Batman "should be number one" is is because they prefer his character"

Isn't that kinda the whole point? It's not bias at all. If you don't like the character they why would you vote him as number 1? If ya don't like him he's hardly that great.

Personally I think Superman is a cracking character if done right (see All Star Superman) but, like Captain America, a bit boring and old fashioned in comparison to others.

(in reply to bychance)
Post #: 68
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 10:25:41 AM   
britesparc

I've always found some people's hatred of Superman to be rather funny.  They bitch about him being "old-fashioned" and say that Batman could "beat him" and suchlike.  I remember my brother, when he was younger, watching the Justice League cartoon and whinging about Superman in a similar vein: Batman's better coz he's darker.

Well, yes, some of that may be true, and certainly Batman is "darker".  But Superman is an eternally optimistic character, a figurehead and an icon, who exemplifies not just an entire industry and artform (and whether he's the greatest comic book character or not, to most people in the world, Superman is the face of superheroes specifically and comic books in general) but an ideal.  That's what he is: an idealist.

People often talk about Supes and Bats being yin and yang, light and dark, and I think that's true to a certain extent.  They're both archetypes, can be represented as almost 2D characters if you want (that rarely happens nowadays), but basically they're both wearing capes and tights and pants but one is bright blue and red and the other is grey and black.  One has almost unlimited power, the other zilch.  One is (oooh, he's getting pretentious!) a god trying to live as a man, the other is a man striving for god-hood.

In my opinion, any list of the greatest comic book characters needs to have both Superman and Batman very near the top (personally, I'd have a top five that read something like Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, the Joker, and Wolverine - and it's very painful to not include Robin in that list but this is "greatest" and not "my favourite"!).  People who find him old-fashioned or anachronistic haven't read a (good) Superman comic recently, and are to a large extent missing the point.  Maybe he seems a bit goofy, but like I say, he's a figurehead, and how ridiculous he appears is entirely dependent on how he's written.

< Message edited by britesparc -- 9/7/2008 10:27:21 AM >

You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

(in reply to jimoakley666)
Post #: 69
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 10:48:39 AM   
anthonypearson

No mention of V from V for Vendetta???

Post #: 70
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 10:59:57 AM   
mcluvin

Superman no. 1??????? what what what? i'm sorry but batman is by far the superior and should without question have been given the no. 1 spot.

Are you really trying to tell me that the majority of people in the empire office think superman is better than batman cos thats just mental.................MENTAL!

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 71
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 12:37:35 PM   
...marcus...

Also, no mention of Marvelman/Miracleman? Coupled with the omission of V, seems a little of the Moore love has gone. And no Elektra-Frank Millers work on the title showed what a great character she can be, certainly better than Captain bloody Haddock.

Like my loafers?
Former gophers.
It was that or skin my chauffeurs.

Won't someone please
remove these
cutleries
from ma knees

(in reply to mcluvin)
Post #: 72
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 12:41:47 PM   
britesparc

One could argue that characters like Captain Haddock and Obelix represent certain types of comic and comic character, whereas Elektra is of a similar vein to most of the other superheroes/vigilantes on the list...

Catwoman should have been there, tho, just coz she's smokin' hot

You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

(in reply to ...marcus...)
Post #: 73
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 12:43:37 PM   
Harry Exton

Can't really disagree with the list, and it's great to see Johnny Alpha in there.

30 seconds in to your future......

Post #: 74
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 12:48:07 PM   
CBC

You have Deena Pilgrim (Powers) on the list but not Christian Walker? That's just crazy!

Other characters that are missing from the list:
The Runaways, Bart Allen (The Flash) & Yorick Brown (from Y: The Last Man).

Post #: 75
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 12:56:22 PM   
amerelium

Conan the Barbarian - not originally created in comic form I know, but still...

"...hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight. Or if he bothers me. Or if there's a woman. Or if I'm getting paid; well, specially if I'm getting paid - but there reavers..."

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 76
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 1:26:22 PM   
manufan

WTF?????
Where the hell Tha Main Man, the 'Bo, the baddest of the all the asses in the whole galaxy, mutha fraggin Lobo?
Great article, but why have Captain 'laim arse' Haddock, and not one of the hardest, coolest, funniest comic characters ever?
He kicked Supes' ass, he kicked Santa's ass, he's immortal after being barred from both heaven and hell, his regenerative powers are greater then Wolverine and the Hulk, he drives a mean hog, he's the last of his race and his best friends are space dolphins.
Sure he's had some dodgy stories, but hasn't everyone?
  1.  Joker
  2. Lobo
  3. Batman
  4. Lex Luthor
  5. Hellboy

Come on Empire, how can you miss out an all time great?

And for those of you thinking a Transformer should be on the list, it'd have to be the, madder than a bag of cats, Galvatron. They took the Lamest toy, and transofrmed him into a terrifying relentless villain, with barely a thin grasp on his own sanity, willing to tare a whole in the fabric of reallity, in order to brak the chains of his planet eating master.

< Message edited by manufan -- 9/7/2008 1:32:32 PM >

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 77
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 2:01:02 PM   
Christo197

Where on earth is Uncle Pig from OINK !!! I had him pegged for number 1 all the way !

Post #: 78
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 2:13:03 PM   
Tex Hex

Might as well chuck down my top ten (and include casting suggestions for those not yet on the big screen for any Hollywood people who might want tips )...

1-Batman
2-The Joker
3-Morpheus/The Sandman -Cillian Murphy
4-Enid Coleslaw-Ghost World
5. V-V For Vendetta
6. Cassisdy-Preacher-Nathan Fillion (if he nails the accent)
7.Death-The Sandman-Lelee Soblieski/Linda Cardellini
8.Harvey Dent/Two Face
9.Rorshach-Watchmen
10-Jesse Custer-Mark Ruffalo

(in reply to Christo197)
Post #: 79
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 3:05:27 PM   
bychance

I didn't view the whole list, but apparently Storm didn't make it...yet Supergirl did? Not only is the character of Storm just amazing, but she's without question the most famous black superhero (male or female) period. I was disappointed that she wasn't there, but a girl-version of the "-man" superheroes was.

quote:

ORIGINAL: bobthegrinch

alsybroth

"Superman has to be No.1 on the list, simply becuase he is THE archtype of all comic creations and definition of the word 'Superhero'. I'm not a Superman fan but I think anyone who moans about him being No.1 should just pipe it."

Maybe he is regarded as the first superhero archetype but most of the characters in this list have little in common with Superman beyond having powers and a costume. It's hard to see the Superman influence in characters like John Constantine, Judge Dredd or Rorschach. George Brenner created the costumed crime fighter The Clock who debuted in 1936 so Superman isn't the first comic book costumed crime fighter and he's clearly not the first super powered fictional character. Besides which the greatest doesn't mean the archetype. In this context it means the best which Superman isn't. His place shouldn't be based on his influence but how good a character he is. Considering the nature of the rest of the choices on the list it seems bizarre that such a boring and creatively poorly managed (I admit every few years someone makes a good Superman story) character has beat them out. It's like saying a ZX Spectrum is better than modern computer just because it affected what came after.

Yes you're completely right, I don't think anyone was implying that he was the absolute first, but that doesn't change the fact that Superman's impact."You'll Believe a Man Can Fly!" I'm not that big of a Superman fan, but his number one spot is well deserved and cannot be argued...

quote:

Isn't that kinda the whole point? It's not bias at all. If you don't like the character they why would you vote him as number 1? If ya don't like him he's hardly that great.

Personally I think Superman is a cracking character if done right (see All Star Superman) but, like Captain America, a bit boring and old fashioned in comparison to others.

I'm not that big of a fan of Superman, but he still deserves to be number one. In these sort of worldwide lists, I think you have to put only your personal opinion aside in the matter, with a universal understanding in mind...which is why Superman and Batman were number #1 and #2. Else-wise someone could of easily made a list where like someone's personal preference as Wolverine as #1, for example, would of looked extremely out of place.

quote:

I'm a lady, thank you. And I know its my opinion, I think that's pretty obvious

quote:

Superman no. 1??????? what what what? i'm sorry but batman is by far the superior and should without question have been given the no. 1 spot.

Are you really trying to tell me that the majority of people in the empire office think superman is better than batman cos thats just mental.................MENTAL!

Yeah, you've pretty missed the point to a t. I highly doubt the Empire staff all thought Superman is better than Batman which is why he was put at #1, as you put it. Like others and I have noted before, it has more to do with universality. Darth Vader was #1 in the greatest villains of all time. Now an there may many who will disagree with this, but there's no doubt that this character is iconic and deserves to be in the top, regardless of your favorite.

< Message edited by bychance -- 9/7/2008 3:10:45 PM >

(in reply to bobthegrinch)
Post #: 80
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 3:06:07 PM   
danbo1138

what no johnny fart pants? or buster gonad?

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

(in reply to Tex Hex)
Post #: 81
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 3:11:55 PM   
The Comedian

quote:

quote:

1.Batman
2. The Joker
3. Spider-Man
4. Rorschach

Yup, number 5. Was being generous too, he wouldnt feature in my top 50 favourite characters, purely cos Superman has never interested me. Looks like people agree, judging by the above posts.

"No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise."

"The secret ingredient is crime."

(in reply to bychance)
Post #: 82
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 3:38:23 PM   
bychance

quote:

quote:

quote:

1.Batman
2. The Joker
3. Spider-Man
4. Rorschach

Yup, number 5. Was being generous too, he wouldnt feature in my top 50 favourite characters, purely cos Superman has never interested me. Looks like people agree, judging by the above posts.

Understandable.

(in reply to The Comedian)
Post #: 83
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 3:51:21 PM   
Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

quote:

ORIGINAL: cerebusboy

The voice in Cerebus #186 was a fictional character (Victor Davis); that Dave subsequently agrees with these views (c.f. his Collected Letters) and defended them in letter columns doesn't alter this.

I think that's kind of playing with sematics at the end really. It doesn't alter the fact that be it his voice or the narrators voice - and he admits to both being one, however it's phrased - became unpleasantly mysoginistic.

quote:

Dave has also claimed to be anti-feminist even when writing work such as Jaka's Story; does that make *it* a tainted well?

It felt more like it was a proper part of that narrative as opposed to shoehorning it in as it did later on. It didn't feel like Cerebus any more for me.

"Things are going to get pretty interesting..."
"Define 'interesting'"
"Oh God, Oh God, we're all gonna die?"

If only we could harness Otis Ferry for good...
All hail Hypnotoad

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 84
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 3:54:11 PM   
marcusbarkus

its not just about the films. Its about the actual characters. Some of the voting in there was obviously done by people who have'nt actually read the strips. Dredd/Halo/Hellboy should be lower? Get real. Also, what about getting Judge Death in there...

< Message edited by marcusbarkus -- 9/7/2008 4:00:42 PM >

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 85
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 4:02:56 PM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

I didn't view the whole list, but apparently Storm didn't make it...yet Supergirl did? Not only is the character of Storm just amazing, but she's without question the most famous black superhero (male or female) period. I was disappointed that she wasn't there, but a girl-version of the "-man" superheroes was..

I would of said Blade was more famous, not disputing Storm's greatness, I've not read enough X-Men to that.

I'm a bit disappointed that Harley Quinn,  is not on the list, but still you can't please everyone.

Great list has given me a mini shopping list for Saturday in the Forbidden Planet.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to bychance)
Post #: 86
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 4:20:09 PM   
diehardcinefan

There were some pretty decent characters on there but they were missing a few that I thought should have been in somewhere. ('V', for example, from the cult hit 'V for Vendetta')

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 87
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 4:21:56 PM   
diehardcinefan

Superman and the whole franchise are highly over-rated. I was expecting someone a little less...god bless america

(in reply to pleakhouse)
Post #: 88
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 4:45:52 PM   
dannymick2

i think the question of who is the greatest character has to be considered along the lines of who has always been the most interesting- and in that regard, i would plump for batman. he is a character who has been around as long as superman but the number of classic story arcs involving him are substantially greater than those involving supes. on another note, most of the great stories involving batman don't rely on greatly changing or adapting the character, unlike those which most people consider to be the best superman stories (such as Red Son) which essentially change the entire character of superman.

i would also have had spiderman at number two as i think he arguably led the explosion of marvel creations in the sixties and rejuvenated comics at that time but then the joker at 4- since he has been the character which has made it of for super villians to be interesting, rather than purely punch bags for the heroes.

finally, here's one to open to debate- who's your favourite writer? for me ( and judging by the amount of characters he is involved in in the top 50) i'd say it's Garth Ennis...... ( i loved Preacher but as a character, none of custer et al have not entered the public knowledge like spidey, supes etc, although cassidy should definitely be in the top 50, along with tulip.)

(in reply to pleakhouse)
Post #: 89
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 9/7/2008 4:51:19 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Superman IS the greatest comic book charachter ever created period.  I can't believe that's up for debate.  Never has a comic book series meant so much ro so many people.  Look at the TV shows / the movies and the merchandise.  People will be queuing round the block for man of steel next year.  Spidey should be second followed by Batman.  No Supergirl? Surprised...

< Message edited by theoriginalcynic -- 9/7/2008 4:53:49 PM >

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI