Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 8/7/2008 9:51:32 AM   
Amar Vijay

We count down the kings (and queens) of comics, click here for the feature - and have your say.
Post #: 1
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 8/7/2008 10:17:54 AM   
hit_or_miss_me

Definitely enjoyed that, especially how high up Jesse Custer was. I would have preferred to see Venom much higher, but the Spiderman 3 debacle has probably tainted him in some eyes.
One criticism though, wish this had been either a two parter or a daily countdown. Too much comic book goodness in one go!

Jason Isaacs number one fan/stalker/wife etc.

Damn the man! Save the Empire!

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 2
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 8/7/2008 10:39:30 AM   
sowasred2012

Pretty good, I liked the fact that Dream, Death, Saint of Killers and Jesse Custer are all in there in very decent spots - but I'm a bit annoyed about Cap being placed four or fives places below Hulk. Plus, I'm more of a Marvel fan than a DC fan, but I still think I'd put Bats above Supes. And Dream above everybody.

Also, I'd've put Aspen Matthews in as a little tribute to the late, great Michael Turner. She's pretty and can make your head explode by doing something to the water in your body.

Poor people are crazy, Jack. I'm eccentric.

http://www.srmason.co.uk/blog/
http://www.twitter.com/sowasred2012

(in reply to hit_or_miss_me)
Post #: 3
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 8/7/2008 10:53:06 AM   
lisamoorish

I'm sorry, fair enough Supes and Bats for the top two, but Wolverine and Constantine higher than Spider-Man? HIGHER THAN SPIDER-MAN?!?

Hang your heads in shame, Empire.

(in reply to sowasred2012)
Post #: 4
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 8/7/2008 11:02:56 AM   
...marcus...

Raw Shark really should have been higher, folks. It was, after all, a list of the greatest - not necessarily most popular- characters, and whilst loosely based on earlier creations, Moore knocked it out of the park with old Walter.

Like my loafers?
Former gophers.
It was that or skin my chauffeurs.

Won't someone please
remove these
cutleries
from ma knees

(in reply to lisamoorish)
Post #: 5
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 8/7/2008 11:06:31 AM   
Uriel Ventris

Nick Nolte for the Saint of Killers!!!!

(in reply to ...marcus...)
Post #: 6
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 8/7/2008 11:12:20 AM   
CORLEONE

Superman beating Batman? Maybe sometime in the past but not right here, right now! Good to see some love for Preacher, but no Cassidy the Irish vampire? And Obelix higher than Hellboy? Puurrrleease.........

Other than those gripes a great list. Some characters I'll have to check out as well.....

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Uriel Ventris)
Post #: 7
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 8/7/2008 11:19:03 AM   
Fanboyslayer

Nice to see some 2000AD peeps in there. Not sure if the voteing thing is working on all of them I voted higher twice for Swamp Thing and both time it put my votes lower
Loving Constantine being so high up, he's definitley my number one character by far. Quite surprised there's no Cassidy or Tulip though.

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 8
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 8/7/2008 11:51:39 AM   
princess_suz

WOOOOOOOOOOW

an empire list that caters for indie fans! what has gone wrong with the world

oh wait its what you always do

Cap could kick any of the top ten's asses in a fight and is doing everything for a nobler cause

superman on top! why oh why, even in the films he's two dimensional, "oh save the world, oh no kryptonite, help me someone else" there you go so if you haven't read any superman stuff i just saved you time and money

Batman, okay tormented caped crusader is cool.......boring as hell if batman is on the list all of his villains should be on it higher than him, its them that make the comics actually interesting

Spidey at 5th, you look at anyone else on that list that does as much as him, Job, College, looks after mae, fights crime and still manages to keep his identity a secret for the best part of his sensational run

people not on the list that i am quite annoyed about

Flash
Harvey Dent/Two face
Blade
Yorick (y last man)
King Leonidis
Jean Grey
silver surfer
Optimus Prime or any of the bots in disguise
bluntman and chronic

seriously empire do something about your top tens and greatest list, the past few months you guys have really sucked at them

(in reply to Fanboyslayer)
Post #: 9
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 8/7/2008 11:52:31 AM   
Kingseany

I'd have Dardevil higher.  And where is Supergirl the hottest lady in comics???

Let's see if you bastards can do 90.

(in reply to princess_suz)
Post #: 10
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 8/7/2008 11:58:07 AM   
eruptus

Pretty good list, although the blue boy-scout isn't better than Batman and never will be. Captain Haddock could've been higher and you could've added Comedian to the list.

Are you sure that Jack Napier is the real name of The Joker? I'm pretty sure that that name was only used in the first Burton-film.

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 11
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 8/7/2008 11:59:16 AM   
cerebusboy

Personally I was glad to see Cerebus (300 issues over 27 years by one guy, and self-published!) featured, albeit too low. 

ryan

(in reply to Kingseany)
Post #: 12
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 8/7/2008 12:02:40 PM   
SuperShazam!!

Superman deserves the top spot! Well done empire

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 13
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 8/7/2008 12:10:49 PM   
gambit21

No Gambit!!! so disappointed, he definitley deserves a place. and there is a suprising lack of x-men in there, but no leonidas- poor. batman should be above supes for sure. id have liked to see rorschach a bit higher too. I wanted The martian manhunter in there as well but you cant have everything. No Blade or Thor either. Plus Cap Am needs to be in the top ten

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 14
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 8/7/2008 12:21:23 PM   
satanbob

Good list overall. Just a few points to make:
Batman and Superman should swap places. I like the superpowered alien but he's got nothing on Batman, an ordinary guy with cool toys and a degree in ass-kickery.
Cassidy definitely should've been in there but i'm happy to see Jesse and The Saint of Killers getting a look in.
Also agree with the previous poster that Gambit should've been in there somewhere

(in reply to gambit21)
Post #: 15
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 8/7/2008 12:37:10 PM   
Desleader

Great countdown and feature Empire. But i agree with most and was expecting Batman to be above Supes in the top position.  Some good choices of indie characters as well.  I'd like to have seen Mr Sinister and Optimus Prime or Bumblebee in it though.

(in reply to satanbob)
Post #: 16
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 8/7/2008 1:21:56 PM   
bobthegrinch

Blade is by no means one of the greatest comic book characters. Neither is Gambit. I don't think either should've been included on the list so I'm glad they weren't. I was surprised to see no Flash on there considering some of the others that are on there like the Mekon.

However any issue about this list pales into insignificance when you see how spectacularly the ball was dropped with Superman as number 1. Perhaps in the past he was the most well known and as such his look is iconic but he isn't by any stretch of the imagination the greatest character. In fact reading the description of him in the list once you get past how well known he is and that he's been about for a while, the actual comment on the character points out what's wrong with him more than what's right. At the time of writing this 87% of voters want to see him lower on the list. I think Superman can be done well but very rarely is and often works best as a foil for Batman (see Hush, The Dark Knight Returns). Writers often have to depower or radically change him to make an interesting character emerge. Batman is the greatest comic book character because like Superman his look is iconic and he is part of the public concious but he also has interesting stories, the best villains and a personality that make his stories a far more consistently good read than any other character who has endured over 30+ years.

(in reply to Desleader)
Post #: 17
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 8/7/2008 1:33:12 PM   
kinge247

Excellent list Empire.  I do think that Hellboy and Captain America should have been higher though. Really pleased with Jesse Custer and John Constantine being so high up as Preacher and Hellblazer are fucking excellent. I was also interested to see that 12% of people think superman should have been higher in the list than no.1.   All in all though a good list that has obviously had some time and effort put into it, good work Empire.  Can't wait for Dark Knight, HellboyII and Watchmen to come out. Please someone invent a time machine so I can see them now!

(in reply to bobthegrinch)
Post #: 18
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 8/7/2008 1:40:07 PM   
alsybroth

Superman has to be No.1 on the list, simply becuase he is THE archtype of all comic creations and definition of the word 'Superhero'. I'm not a Superman fan but I think anyone who moans about him being No.1 should just pipe it.

Quite a bunch of obscure characters on that list, for that mention,  here's some who I think should've deserved a mention more than some of those on that list:

On the western front:
V (V For Vendetta)
Jackie Espacado (The Darkness)
Doc Ock (Spider-Man) how was he NOT on this list!!
Harvey Dent/Two-Face (Batman)

On the Manga front:
Motoko Kusanagi (Ghost in the Shell)
Alucard (Hellsing)
Tetsuo Shima (Akira)
Edward Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist)

(in reply to Desleader)
Post #: 19
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 8/7/2008 1:43:45 PM   
Halloweenfreak

Wow, Wow, Wow hang on one second what about The Punisher?

I love his character...he's such a badass bounty hunter and most of the time out for revenge

"I met this 6 year old child with this blank, pale emtionless face and the blackest eyes...the Devils eyes"- Dr.Loomis 'Halloween'

"These are the eyes of a Psychopath"

Whoa Dream Big- Juno

(in reply to alsybroth)
Post #: 20
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 8/7/2008 2:21:52 PM   
Eckmi

You could have at least used Bryan Lee O'Malley's art for your Scott Pilgrim image

< Message edited by Eckmi -- 8/7/2008 2:33:21 PM >

(in reply to Halloweenfreak)
Post #: 21
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 8/7/2008 2:26:26 PM   
Tex Hex

Have to say it is a good list (the top two were pretty predictable, but for good reason)...I am surprised at some of those left out with Harvey Dent/Two Face being the major shocker, as he is one of the most complex characters in the Batman universe (in The Long Halloween and Dark Vicotry alone!), but another is Enid from Ghost World-that character has had a profound affect not just on me but on some of my best friends, and if Harvey Peckar can get in then she should be there too!

Have to ask though-am I now the only one who didnt mind topher grace as eddie brock? I mean, I know he's not like he is in the comics, but Im sure Raimi was revamping the character to be like an evil version of Parker, which came across quite well to me :S Although ever since all I can think about is how much better the trilogy couldn have been with Grace AS Parker-particularly if they had stuck more with the smart ass Spidey...watch That 70's Show and its pretty damn obvious the guy can pull of sardonic yet nerdy teen, which was what Spidey always was to me, not just flat out nerd.

And while Im on casting...Jesse Custer: Mark Ruffalo? Morpheus: Cillian Murphy....any takers?

(in reply to Halloweenfreak)
Post #: 22
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 8/7/2008 2:28:37 PM   
livewire

Great Feature But there are some glaring ommissions. THe only way to do this is to have a hall of fame type poll to see who's who in the comic book world.

Can't believe the silver surfer dindn't make it

I`ve never had a message for anyone in my entire life. Except maybe to give out my room number" - Bonn Scott 1946 1980

Punchdrunk - 1981 - 2010

(in reply to Eckmi)
Post #: 23
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 8/7/2008 2:48:10 PM   
sowasred2012

One more thing, no Yorick from Y: The Last Man? Haven't read it all (since the library decided to buy each of the nine volumes EXCEPT the fifth one, annoyingly), but he's a bit of a legend, isn't he?

Plus, more Michael Turner love please. If you don't like/haven't heard of Fathom/Aspen Matthews, I bet Witchblade/Sara Pezzini rings some bells.

Poor people are crazy, Jack. I'm eccentric.

http://www.srmason.co.uk/blog/
http://www.twitter.com/sowasred2012

(in reply to livewire)
Post #: 24
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 8/7/2008 2:58:50 PM   
matthewforan

Rachel Bilson as "Death" just a thought.  Let my beating start.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to sowasred2012)
Post #: 25
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 8/7/2008 3:24:55 PM   
Tex Hex

She's certainly got that dark cuteness to her, but whether she has the acting chops to pul it off is another matter...had it been a couple of years back I would have said Linda Cardellini would have been ideal, but she might be too old now...Lelee Soblieski (or however you spell it) maybe?

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 26
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 8/7/2008 3:44:27 PM   
danbo1138

c'mon Empire you're takijng the piss having superman at the top spot,blandman more like.oh and you missed these guys out

The Fabulous Furry Freek Brothers.i'm thinking fat freddys cat.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles(the orginal comics from waaaayyyyy before that ass rape of a cartoon show).
ABC warriors. rojaws or joe pinnapples
SLAINE ferfukssake??????
Danger Girl.

and Dredd should have been higher!

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

(in reply to Tex Hex)
Post #: 27
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 8/7/2008 3:48:17 PM   
Auron41

I realise this is an indie list...
but where the eff is Storm?  She can control the effing weather!!

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 28
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 8/7/2008 3:48:28 PM   
The Comedian

That was a real good read, but Batman should have been higher, with Joker 2nd and Optimus Prime should have been in there too. I would have had this top 5....

1.Batman
2. The Joker
3. Spider-Man
4. Rorschach
5. Superman (although I dont like him, cant deny what he means to people).

Spidey is my personal fave, but Batman is the greatest character ever concieved, with the Joker very very very close behind. Comedy and Tragedy.... gotta love it!

"No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise."

"The secret ingredient is crime."

(in reply to Tex Hex)
Post #: 29
RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters - 8/7/2008 3:52:20 PM   
Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

Swap the top 2 round and I'm pretty much in agreement with the list. Great to see Con-job at number 3.

Would have liked to see Cassidy in there simply on the basis of this (poorly paraphrased from memory) exchange:

"I spend a hundred years looking for another of my kind. And when I find one, turns out he's a wanker"

"What?"

"A wanker. One who wanks."

"Things are going to get pretty interesting..."
"Define 'interesting'"
"Oh God, Oh God, we're all gonna die?"

If only we could harness Otis Ferry for good...
All hail Hypnotoad

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI