Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: My Top Film Noir

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: My Top Film Noir Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: My Top Film Noir - 31/3/2009 10:10:35 PM   
Dicklauranrtisdead

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Film-Noir-Collection-DVD/dp/B000UWXM1C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1238531757&sr=8-1

Cracking deal on Amazon at the moment that contains this last film (and the other Ladd/Lake ones mentioned).  I already have three of these on dvd but the others made it more than worth it.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 151
RE: My Top Film Noir - 31/3/2009 10:15:34 PM   
elab49

It is an excellent grounding in some of the best known films.

A little more off the beaten track

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Film-Noir-Collection-DVD/dp/B000ENUKJE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1238534020&sr=1-3

also a good investment, IMO.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Dicklauranrtisdead)
Post #: 152
RE: My Top Film Noir - 31/3/2009 10:30:12 PM   
Dicklauranrtisdead

I was a bit underwhelmed by Detour when I watched it but there seems to be a lot of love for it on this forum so I will try to watch it again.  DOA is a good film (although not as good as I hoped when I became obsesed with seeing it a few years back) but poorly acted.  I don't know many of the others although I found a site where you can watch Scarlet Street and I'm a big fan of Eddie G so I intend to see that soon.
Well worth the price it's available at so I might get that too depending on how servere the speeding fine I've just received is

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 153
RE: My Top Film Noir - 31/3/2009 10:33:26 PM   
elab49

Ouch - good job it's cheap

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 154
RE: My Top Film Noir - 2/4/2009 3:43:03 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dicklauranrtisdead

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Film-Noir-Collection-DVD/dp/B000UWXM1C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1238531757&sr=8-1

Cracking deal on Amazon at the moment that contains this last film (and the other Ladd/Lake ones mentioned).  I already have three of these on dvd but the others made it more than worth it.
For someone who has only seen one noir film ever (The Big Sleep; dont think The Third Man counts), what would you recommend to start with from this set?

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

Post #: 155
RE: My Top Film Noir - 2/4/2009 3:50:52 PM   
elab49

Mmmm. Depends what you feel like at the time. The Glass Key is great fun even taking into account the slightly odd torture scenes. Double Indemnity is Wilder at his best and a genuine class act. And Farewell my Lovely (Murder My Sweet) is an absolute treat with Dick Powell.

I'd dispute the noir credentials of Crossfire. and I wouldn't recommend Big Steal or Out of the Past.

quote:

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 156
RE: My Top Film Noir - 2/4/2009 4:03:49 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Mmmm. Depends what you feel like at the time. The Glass Key is great fun even taking into account the slightly odd torture scenes. Double Indemnity is Wilder at his best and a genuine class act. And Farewell my Lovely (Murder My Sweet) is an absolute treat with Dick Powell.

I'd dispute the noir credentials of Crossfire. and I wouldn't recommend Big Steal or Out of the Past.

So I was right earlier on?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 157
RE: My Top Film Noir - 2/4/2009 4:08:30 PM   
elab49

I promised Prof I'd rewatch and I did. And it still ain't going on. In fairness someone else might want to sell Miles on how wonderful it is because I just couldn't do it convincingly. I should have the next one done tomorrow, though - I tidied up the stuff I wrote and I just need to find the disc to fix a couple of the pics. A lot of them seem to have been corrupted in my damaged laptop, which is a bit of a pain. I want to rush through a few though as one of the upcoming pics includes a Youtube link to one of my favourite actresses singing. And it was a hit - but it is such a distinctive and individual style everyone should get to see it.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 158
RE: My Top Film Noir - 2/4/2009 5:34:43 PM   
Jasiri

quote:

and I wouldn't recommend Big Steal or Out of the Past.

Looks like you were right Rawlinson.I just died a little inside. Seriously though,I'm shocked you don't like Out of the Past.Ah well least I can take comfort in your earlier confirmation that the greatest film noir The Killers is high on your list.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 159
RE: My Top Film Noir - 2/4/2009 5:55:49 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

The Big Steal is colourised
I think I'll start with Farewell My Lovely, continuing my Marlowe journey

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 160
RE: My Top Film Noir - 2/4/2009 6:53:08 PM   
TheDudeAbides

I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of Out of the Past either. Mitchum just doesn't do it for me. I know he's supposed to be laid back but to me he always seems on the verge of a coma and drags me down with him. Give me a livewire like Powell anyday, and you can't do better than to start with Murder, My Sweet. I'd be really interested to find out what you make of Powell's Marlowe in comparison with Bogart's.

From that set, I would suggest you try This Gun For Hire or Double Indemnity next. The Glass Key is ... odd, but has some great sequences, including the famous torture scene. I think in some ways reading the book beforehand helped. I must admit that I got the box set for Christmas and I still haven't watched The Big Steal or The Blue Dahlia or rewatched Double Indemnity, which I saw a couple of years back. All I remember of it now is Edward G. Robinson's monologue and some hilarious sunglasses

Reviews, film chat and the like at http://resilientlittlemuscle.blogspot.com

The Oxford Student - proud home of a film section somewhere between Siskel and Ebert: http://oxfordstudent.com/?cat=11

"Hammy is a stretch, I personally think he was just over zealous."
- IMDb reviewer on Dick Powell

"Good night, Papa. Machs gut."

Post #: 161
RE: My Top Film Noir - 2/4/2009 7:19:06 PM   
DCMaximo

quote:

It is an excellent grounding in some of the best known films.

A little more off the beaten track

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Film-Noir-Collection-DVD/dp/B000ENUKJE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1238534020&sr=1-3

also a good investment, IMO.

Terrific boxset, bought it a year ago and have no complaints (only He Walked By Night is a bit average). The Strange Love Of Martha Ivers in particular, is excellent.

The Spanish Inquisition of the 'Get Carlton Banks a TV Spin-off' Association

"Carlotta was the kind of town where they spell trouble T-R-U-B-I-L, and if you try to correct them, they kill you"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 162
RE: My Top Film Noir - 3/4/2009 12:00:56 AM   
Dicklauranrtisdead

Out of the past is excellent if slightly overrated.  I still find Bogart the absolute best Noir hero and despite my admiration for Mitchum (Angel Face is excellent too) I can't compre him to Bogart.  But as The Maltese Falcon is probably my favourite film (cetainly in the top three) I'm biased.
My boxset arrived today along with The Lady From Shanghai which I've just watched and is also excellent despite Welles trying to match Van Dyke and Cheadle in the awfull accent stakes,
I think I'll watch This Gun For Hire (one of the three films from the set I've not seen at all) next.

(in reply to DCMaximo)
Post #: 163
RE: My Top Film Noir - 5/4/2009 9:25:42 PM   
Dicklauranrtisdead

This Gun For Hire is excellent, Lake and Ladd are no great shakes as actors but they both give efficient performances here.  I really liked the way that Ladd was pretty much the hero despite being an unfeeling killer for hire.  It helped keep the momentum going right until the end as it was quite possible for the ending to go a number of ways.  8/10 for me.

I also watched The Big Steal which is perfectly enteraining with an appealing performance from Mitchum and an unexpected twist but whoever thought it would be a good idea to colourise it wants a right good kicking.

Post #: 164
RE: My Top Film Noir - 24/5/2009 4:01:19 PM   
Kyuzo

Stray dog or The third man are my favourites

"A stray dog sees only what it chases."

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 165
RE: My Top Film Noir - 22/8/2009 12:51:21 PM   
elab49

A resurrection in honour of BBC4's film noir weekend with hopefully a new entry tomorrow.

Starting tonight on the Beeb the season includes Farewell My Lovely (Powell's unsurpassed take on Marlowe - Sat 7.30pm), Lady From Shanghai (Welles messy but watchable and occasionally superb earlier entry to the genre - Say 10pm), The Big Combo (not as well known as some of the others, but this is the other great noir from Gun Crazy helmer Joseph H Lewis (not that Julia Ross isn't highly watchable too). Beautifully shot by John Alton it includes a wonderful setpiece with Brian Donlevy - Sat 11.25pm), Build My Gallows High aka Out of the Past (Tourneur, Sun 9pm) and finally the one that started it off - Stranger on the Third Floor at 11.30pm on Sunday, one of the films I've already chosen.

There is also a documentary on the 'rules' of film noir - if nothing else it might show clips of films people decide might be interesting to look out for themselves.

quote:

(in reply to Kyuzo)
Post #: 166
RE: My Top Film Noir - 22/8/2009 1:16:47 PM   
FritzlFan

Praise BBC4. It looks like I'll have to miss my most anticipated of the lot, Farewell My Lovely, thanks to the athletics though .

< Message edited by FritzlFan -- 22/8/2009 1:38:26 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 167
RE: My Top Film Noir - 22/8/2009 1:55:14 PM   
elab49

Given the age of the films it might be worth having a look at iplayer? You might be lucky.

quote:

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 168
RE: My Top Film Noir - 22/8/2009 2:26:08 PM   
FritzlFan

None of the films on tonight will be available .

It is on YouTube, though.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 169
RE: My Top Film Noir - 22/8/2009 2:40:34 PM   
elab49

Worth wasting the bandwidth for - of the 5 it is certainly my favourite.

quote:

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 170
RE: My Top Film Noir - 22/8/2009 3:38:36 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

I think I've mentioned I'll watch Murder My Sweet once in London, as I own it. What do you think of Mitchum's takes on Marlowe? I know TheDudeAbides hates his The Big Sleep but a guy I know over the net loves it. I haven't heard much about his version of Farewell My Lovely.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 171
RE: My Top Film Noir - 22/8/2009 3:43:08 PM   
elab49

I'm wholeheartedly with The Dude Abides on this one. They are dreadful lazy knock-offs as a whole I don't care how much the first claims to be closer to the book - it isn't a recommendation. And Mitchum looks half dead in the role. He ain't Marlowe - god only knows what he thinks he is.

Which is why when I list my Marlowes I don't even mention Mitchum

quote:

Post #: 172
RE: My Top Film Noir - 22/8/2009 3:48:54 PM   
TheDudeAbides

quote:

I'm wholeheartedly with The Dude Abides on this one. They are dreadful lazy knock-offs as a whole I don't care how much the first claims to be closer to the book - it isn't a recommendation. And Mitchum looks half dead in the role. He ain't Marlowe - god only knows what he thinks he is.

Which is why when I list my Marlowes I don't even mention Mitchum

My hero, elab!

My dislike for Mitchum's Marlowe is composed of a) my own shallow superficiality which says he is too old and craggy and Marlowe should be hot, but backed up by b) Chandler, who envisaged his hero as a handsome and witty Cary Grant sort of chap.

I could go on. And on. And on. But the Internet is tired of me hashing this out all the damn time, so I'll copy something I said on the IMDb boards instead:

'Mitchum's boxer mug and general seediness might have been perfect for, say, Mike Hammer. But in the books (which are very close to my heart), Marlowe is of the underworld without being in it. He's an essentially nice guy, who likes playing chess and listening to classical music behind closed doors. He only gets sarcastic and tough when he's up against it, and I think Powell captures that duality perfectly. Mitchum just struck me as being your standard two-dimensional noir private dick, all voiceover and long-suffering lethargy, whereas Powell's Marlowe had irony and character.

I think the key to appreciating the difference is in one of the books, it escapes me which, where Marlowe mentions that he once worked as a police detective and as an insurance investigator. Casting my mind over the frequent use of a claims investigator or cop as a noir protagonist, it seems to me that they were generally played by urbane men with Powell's dark humour and energy. Edmond O'Brien, Dana Andrews etc. Therefore, I find Powell the more convincing. Plus, Mitchum was just too old to play a character no older than forty-five. I couldn't see him as a guy who gets the come-on as much as Marlowe is supposed to.'

< Message edited by TheDudeAbides -- 22/8/2009 3:50:45 PM >

Reviews, film chat and the like at http://resilientlittlemuscle.blogspot.com

The Oxford Student - proud home of a film section somewhere between Siskel and Ebert: http://oxfordstudent.com/?cat=11

"Hammy is a stretch, I personally think he was just over zealous."
- IMDb reviewer on Dick Powell

"Good night, Papa. Machs gut."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 173
RE: My Top Film Noir - 23/8/2009 7:26:12 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheDudeAbides

Marlowe is of the underworld without being in it. He's an essentially nice guy, who likes playing chess and listening to classical music behind closed doors. He only gets sarcastic and tough when he's up against it, and I think Powell captures that duality perfectly. Mitchum just struck me as being your standard two-dimensional noir private dick, all voiceover and long-suffering lethargy, whereas Powell's Marlowe had irony and character.

Ditto ditto and ditto. I've always found it interesting to try and work out which way round Marlowe and Archie Goodwin lie because I think they are very very close in character (I know the latter better because I came to Nero Wolfe first) - but the characteristics you've run through match to both. And Mitchum couldn't play either, IMO - even in his younger days. He didn't have the rhythm.

quote:

(in reply to TheDudeAbides)
Post #: 174
RE: My Top Film Noir - 23/8/2009 7:32:35 PM   
elab49

No. 32

Kansas City Confidential (1952)

d. Phil Karlson
Scr. George Bruce, Harry Essex

Spoiler-Free Summary

A mastermind puts together a heist where the masked perpetrators don't know each other. They arrange to meet later to split the cash. Unfortunately the plan incriminates an ex-con who sets out to find the real thieves.

Noir is awash with heist films and at least one will appear further up this list. But I've always been fond of Kansas City Confidential. Although the heist is a very small part at the start of the film (but interestingly conceived, where no-one knows anyone else involved, and regularly plundered over the years even in The Dark Knight!), the fallout from it informs the remainder.

Our supposed noir lead is John Payne (best known to all of us as the lawyer who defended Santa Claus in the Miracle on 34th Street) playing Joe Rolfe. Another floundering ex-GI ex-con character post-war trouble has him in a dead-end job delivering flowers. The set-up of the heist means he gets pulled in and blamed loses his job, his picture all over town as a crook. He sets out to find the men responsible and make them pay we're not entirely sure how. I mean we think he means to bring them to justice of some sort. But there is a great deal of ambiguity over whether he might actually take one of the shares going in the loot. It is also noteworthy that when he seeks help he doesn't get it from the 'good guys' instead his hot lead is from a local crook whose kid brother he saved at Iwo Jima both a reminder that this man has fallen some way since the war and that the authorities aren't where you go to for help.

But the reason I like this so much is Karlson pulls a switcheroonie on us. Because he isn't really our main noir character heist leader Preston Foster is. A 20-year police veteran we don't actually know why he got his marching orders from the Captaincy. Was it corruption? The film is linked to the beginning of a cycle of films linked to real world concern on the level of endemic corruption in cities throughout the US something Karlson would return to more pointedly with the Phenix City Story. His former colleague implies it was part political but his lawyer daughter seems to think she can get him back on the force. Irrespective after 2 years, 1 month and 8 days he is bitter, on a low pension, and looking for payback. Not from the heist itself but the reward money.

So these 2 characters unknowingly impact on each other's destiny  Foster having inadvertently put Rolfe on his trail. Any other truck driver he might have gotten away with it but fate brought him a pissed off ex-con. And fate doesn't play fair particularly when his daughter falls for Rolfe too.

The film is full of people who were known or would spend much of their career in westerns Diskant (the cinematographer) ended up there, the composer Elam, van Cleef, both best known for their western careers. Even Karlson had his share. So like the Hathaway segment in O'Henry's Full House you can see the movement in genres.

This final cycle of noirs was pretty varied but tended less towards expressionism than earlier noirs. In particular films like Asphalt Jungle had been pretty influential in terms of the look of the film more realism, more crime stories. Phil Karlson's gritty and at times documentary style was well-suited to these films (Phenix City is probably his other best known film. But it's more focussed concentration on municipal corruption the state of The Wire's Baltimore isn't a purely modern phenomenon it veers away from the noir ethos IMO).

Although cinematographer George Diskant did a lot of well known noir work there is less of the dramatic visual styling in Kansas City we get the twists and turns in the shadowy lanes as Payne follows Elam to his hotel, the traditionally shot oppressive interview room situation and the menacing interaction with the gang members meeting Foster for the first time, close-up and well-lit. We also got very real feeling gambling dens as Payne tracks down his man. Writer Harry Essex was skilled at taut and raw a couple of years earlier he'd penned Desperate for Anthony Mann, an excellent little thriller that comes in at just over an hour, with this from a story by the man who wrote Angels with Dirty Faces. I think Foster's daughter is particularly well-written (and played by Coleen Gray). A light flirtation at first but she doesn't quell when seeing the first gun, sizes up accurately the situation she encounters and acts sensibly. An intelligent woman who clearly has some familiarity with the types encountered by her father in his former job.

Overall a very intense set-up and execution. Liberal helpings of violence and lots of close-ups of desperate men who want nothing more than to escape their fate.

http://www.archive.org/details/kansascityconfidencial

And free to see on the Internet Archive.

Up next - as well as the text we should have another audio link of the song performed in the film by one of the stars which also had an actual release.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 23/8/2009 11:30:03 PM >

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 175
RE: My Top Film Noir - 23/8/2009 11:27:59 PM   
elab49

BTW _ does anyone know a more reliable free pic hosting site than Imageshack? Something has gone badly wrong of late - not only is it buggy and ad heavy, it seems to randomly delete pic files for no apparent reason

< Message edited by elab49 -- 23/8/2009 11:28:25 PM >

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 176
RE: My Top Film Noir - 24/8/2009 2:58:03 AM   
The Bicycle Thief

People still use Imageshack? http://tinypic.com/ is what all the cool people use these days. 

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 177
RE: My Top Film Noir - 24/8/2009 8:55:27 AM   
elab49

Ta - some of these pics had disappeared last night although they're now back. A couple of the older ones seem to be completely gone so a new reliable site seems just the ticket.

quote:

(in reply to The Bicycle Thief)
Post #: 178
RE: My Top Film Noir - 24/8/2009 2:41:26 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

I use photobucket.
Never heard of this one, but as Van Cleef is in it, will see it

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 179
RE: My Top Film Noir - 24/8/2009 2:45:42 PM   
elab49

Cheers for the recommendation Miles

Hopefully the Internet Archive link will make this more accessible than many if people want to give it a go.

quote:

Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: My Top Film Noir Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI