Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: My Top Film Noir

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: My Top Film Noir Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: My Top Film Noir - 17/2/2010 1:50:49 AM   
TheDudeAbides

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheDudeAbides
Legally Blonde has been a popular choice throughout my building

You're in Oxford, right? Who could have known those spires were dreaming of a Reese Witherspoon rom-com.

Oh God, we really are. And when there's something even dumber to do, we do that. Honestly, whenever we're not working we're trying to operate on as few brain cells as possible. Hence my free time is 50% long discussions about crumpet preparation and 50% Frasier marathons.

Also, I'm muchly excited about the next entry. I daydream about it being one I've actually seen

Reviews, film chat and the like at http://resilientlittlemuscle.blogspot.com

The Oxford Student - proud home of a film section somewhere between Siskel and Ebert: http://oxfordstudent.com/?cat=11

"Hammy is a stretch, I personally think he was just over zealous."
- IMDb reviewer on Dick Powell

"Good night, Papa. Machs gut."

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 301
RE: My Top Film Noir - 17/2/2010 2:11:22 AM   
rawlinson

Frasier marathons aren't dumb.

(in reply to TheDudeAbides)
Post #: 302
RE: My Top Film Noir - 17/2/2010 9:33:30 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

quote:

Legally Blonde has been a popular choice throughout my building

You're in Oxford, right? Who could have known those spires were dreaming of a Reese Witherspoon rom-com.

Oh God, we really are. And when there's something even dumber to do, we do that. Honestly, whenever we're not working we're trying to operate on as few brain cells as possible. Hence my free time is 50% long discussions about crumpet preparation and 50% Frasier marathons.

I wish my flatmates were that cool. Instead, this year I'm going to be getting Abba piping in from the next room, badly-cooked rice and Gilmore Girls marathons.

To be fair, I'm not adverse to the latter. And apparently I get to conduct a Lord of the Rings marathon as compensation.

I say this about my flatmates - don't even get me started about my first-year hall. At least a couple of them watched The Happiness of the Katakuris, The Host and Se7en with me.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

Post #: 303
RE: My Top Film Noir - 17/2/2010 9:38:23 AM   
elab49

This all sounds pretty horrible - I had my own TV/Video in halls. Given the last communal viewing I remember was The Running Man (hilarious for all the wrong reasons - a room full of men blanching and crossing their legs at the chain saw bit), you can see why I relied on my own.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 304
RE: My Top Film Noir - 17/2/2010 9:58:17 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
Given the last communal viewing I remember was The Running Man (hilarious for all the wrong reasons - a room full of men blanching and crossing their legs at the chain saw bit), you can see why I relied on my own.

I'm still trying to work out how Amber smuggled in the key card. That film put me off Starsky and Hutch. I wish someone would make a proper adaptation, but given the ending I don't see this ever happening. The French "version" Le Prix du Danger is quite watchable.

EDIT: looking this up on wiki. there seems to be a German TV film of a similar nature Das Millionspiel. Anyone seen this?

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 17/2/2010 10:06:30 AM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 305
RE: My Top Film Noir - 17/2/2010 10:01:58 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

This all sounds pretty horrible - I had my own TV/Video in halls. Given the last communal viewing I remember was The Running Man (hilarious for all the wrong reasons - a room full of men blanching and crossing their legs at the chain saw bit), you can see why I relied on my own.

Antisocial, aren't we? We weren't allowed personal TVs in our rooms back at my first-year hall - but I had a laptop and DVDs, so that compensated.

Apparently, all three members of my flat this year have their own TV, which is nice. I still have the only DVD player that isn't a laptop in the form of my aging Xbox, though.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 306
RE: My Top Film Noir - 17/2/2010 10:13:07 AM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

Antisocial, aren't we?

Just wanted to watch a lot of films many others weren't that interested in, unfortunately. I'd worked in a video shop before and at the start of university so I'd been able to get my hands on a lot of stuff not readily available. My collection was probably a little odd even then.

Prof - I've not seen the French film, but I have seen The 10th Victim - basically an earlier adaptation of another Sheckley novel that is pretty much the same type of story. I think I had it in last years reviews too. Looking at the posters it looks like they recognise the close link to the other Sheckley story as well (originally called The 7th Victim). I'm adding Le Prix du Danger to my 'to look out' list, though. Ta for the recommendation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 307
RE: My Top Film Noir - 17/2/2010 10:16:37 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

I'm adding Le Prix du Danger to my 'to look out' list, though. Ta for the recommendation

Its about *cough*25*cough* years since I've seen this, so please don't hold me to account too much

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 308
RE: My Top Film Noir - 17/2/2010 10:24:25 AM   
elab49

OK - ta for the vague mention of something that looks kind of interesting but that can in no way be construed as a recommendation you can be held to.

quote:

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 309
RE: My Top Film Noir - 17/2/2010 10:25:27 AM   
rick_7

quote:

quote:

"My brother is too kind. He was already eminent, while my eminence was merely imminent. "

Detour's on, but nobody watch it, ok?

I got it. I laughed. Rather too loudly. It's been a long day.

On the film front, being at uni more or less restricts me to whatever's on iPlayer. Legally Blonde has been a popular choice throughout my building

I may have said this before, but when I was at uni I had a couple of hundred movies with me. I once managed to persuade two of my housemates to watch The Killer with me, but other than that the only DVD any of them ever borrowed was Legally Blonde - which each of them borrowed at least once. Mm. I got my own TV after a bit, but communal viewings were usually stuff like Van Wilder, Idle Hands and Final Stab. And fucking Top Gun. This may not make me look very cool, but the day after I discovered the uni's video library, I woke up and wondered if I'd dreamt it. Wall-to-wall Fellini, Visconti, Lang, Rossellini, rare old musicals like Hallelujah, out-of-print titles like Gilda (it was impossible to get hold of and thus tremendously alluring) and Young Mr Lincoln... The lady behind the counter used to laugh at me for taking out 12 vids at a time, then bringing them back about two days later.  I once drank a beer too.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

Post #: 310
RE: My Top Film Noir - 17/2/2010 10:28:34 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

OK - ta for the vague mention of something that looks kind of interesting but that can in no way be construed as a recommendation you can be held to.

That's one sleepless night avoided.

How imminent is the next imminent noir?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 311
RE: My Top Film Noir - 17/2/2010 10:41:23 AM   
TheDudeAbides

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

quote:

quote:

"My brother is too kind. He was already eminent, while my eminence was merely imminent. "

On the film front, being at uni more or less restricts me to whatever's on iPlayer. Legally Blonde has been a popular choice throughout my building

I may have said this before, but when I was at uni I had a couple of hundred movies with me. I once managed to persuade two of my housemates to watch The Killer with me, but other than that the only DVD any of them ever borrowed was Legally Blonde - which each of them borrowed at least once. Mm. I got my own TV after a bit, but communal viewings were usually stuff like Van Wilder, Idle Hands and Final Stab. And fucking Top Gun. This may not make me look very cool, but the day after I discovered the uni's video library, I woke up and wondered if I'd dreamt it. Wall-to-wall Fellini, Visconti, Lang, Rossellini, rare old musicals like Hallelujah, out-of-print titles like Gilda (it was impossible to get hold of and thus tremendously alluring) and Young Mr Lincoln... The lady behind the counter used to laugh at me for taking out 12 vids at a time, then bringing them back about two days later.  I once drank a beer too.

Oh, Ricky, what exquisite agonies you put me through! Without wishing to be the whiny-britches, the workload here is such that I must spend every spare minute chilling out with my friends or else I'd go mad. This term, I'm a little more organised, so I've had a chance to watch 4 or 5 films, or about one a week. But much more than that and there wouldn't be enough hours in the day.

In other news of utter suck, DVD hire (from a collection which I am given to believe is quite substantial, foreign and classic-wise) is FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY (there's actually a sticker on the front of the cases saying this). As in, unless you can prove the film is relevant to your course, you ain't getting it. As my friend remarked "Do you think they check that the chair you're going to watch it in isn't too comfy?"
As a linguist, I have better luck with the language dept.'s own collection, having managed to get Le cercle rouge and Rocco e i suoi fratelli (the latter was actually pretty relevant to one of the books we're studying).

Also, thanks for the rec of Stars In My Crown. It was beautiful, really strong - didn't seem to hit a wrong note and I knew it was good because I didn't want it to end and have to leave the characters. Joel McCrea, as well as being tremendous, is also one of the handsomest.... well, let's just say I'm glad he didn't become a parson. What a waste it would have been

The Oxford Student - proud home of a film section somewhere between Siskel and Ebert: http://oxfordstudent.com/?cat=11

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 312
RE: My Top Film Noir - 17/2/2010 10:41:44 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

quote:

Uni film libraries are exquisite. The only downside of the one at my uni is that you can't actually take them out, but they have relatively comfy chairs and good screens and headphones so you can watch them there. I'm not there regularly, but when I am, it's bliss - Criterions coming out your ears, hard-to-find films, VHS copies of films not out on DVD...'tis bliss.

It seems I've found luck with my friends - along with Katakuris, The Host and Se7en, which I mentioned, I've had group screenings of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Traffic, Thirst, Che (those two at the cinema) and The Lion King, and my DVDs saw pretty decent circulation around the hostel and in classes - there was one great period last year when four people wanted to borrow my DVD of A bout de souffle, and it just bounced around for a while. But I'm just showing off now. To hurt my cred, I've also had group screenings of Pirates of the Caribbean 2, The Heartbreak Kid, Angels & Demons and Mamma Mia.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 313
RE: My Top Film Noir - 17/2/2010 10:45:31 AM   
TheDudeAbides

quote:

Uni film libraries are exquisite. The only downside of the one at my uni is that you can't actually take them out, but they have relatively comfy chairs and good screens and headphones so you can watch them there. I'm not there regularly, but when I am, it's bliss - Criterions coming out your ears, hard-to-find films, VHS copies of films not out on DVD...'tis bliss.

Erm... thanks a lot. Are you trying to kill me?!?!

Post #: 314
RE: My Top Film Noir - 17/2/2010 10:51:05 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

You study at Oxford. What have you to be jealous of?

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

Post #: 315
RE: My Top Film Noir - 17/2/2010 10:53:10 AM   
rick_7

quote:

Oh, Ricky, what exquisite agonies you put me through! Without wishing to be the whiny-britches, the workload here is such that I must spend every spare minute chilling out with my friends or else I'd go mad. This term, I'm a little more organised, so I've had a chance to watch 4 or 5 films, or about one a week. But much more than that and there wouldn't be enough hours in the day.

Cruel. That sounds like work.  My undergraduate degree was a bit of a doss, though I made up for it by barely finding time to breathe during my Master's.

quote:

In other news of utter suck, DVD hire (from a collection which I am given to believe is quite substantial, foreign and classic-wise) is FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY (there's actually a sticker on the front of the cases saying this). As in, unless you can prove the film is relevant to your course, you ain't getting it. As my friend remarked "Do you think they check that the chair you're going to watch it in isn't too comfy?"

Rofl, as I believe you young folk say. Yeah, they have those stickers at all unis, I think, but there's never been a test before.  Do they pop their head round the door and check you're not smiling?

quote:

Also, thanks for the rec of Stars In My Crown. It was beautiful, really strong - didn't seem to hit a wrong note and I knew it was good because I didn't want it to end and have to leave the characters. Joel McCrea, as well as being tremendous, is also one of the handsomest.... well, let's just say I'm glad he didn't become a parson. What a waste it would have been

Pleasure - glad you liked it so much. Maureen Stapleton said: "I only went out to Hollywood in the first place because I wanted to fuck Joel McCrea", or similar. She dedicated her Oscar for Reds to him (cut to Warren Beatty in the audience, mouthing "Joel McCrea?" in disbelief).

PA - Well, Mrs_7 has exquisite taste in movies, so I had some filmic company after we hooked up in third year; I also saw a couple of films with Giant Green Rabbit - as he is/was on here - including Dogville on the big screen.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Post #: 316
RE: My Top Film Noir - 17/2/2010 10:53:20 AM   
TheDudeAbides

quote:

quote:

quote:

A life?

Post #: 317
RE: My Top Film Noir - 17/2/2010 10:59:36 AM   
rick_7

Yeah, but still...

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Post #: 318
RE: My Top Film Noir - 17/2/2010 11:05:02 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

A life?

It's Oxford. You can have a life again when you get a comfy job lecturing at the uni of your choice in five years time.

quote:

PA - Well, Mrs_7 has exquisite taste in movies, so I had some filmic company after we hooked up in third year; I also saw a couple of films with Giant Green Rabbit - as he is/was on here - including Dogville on the big screen.

Envy, thy name is Army.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

Post #: 319
RE: My Top Film Noir - 17/2/2010 11:09:03 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

That's one sleepless night avoided.

Today, hopefully. I just want to watch another film first.

quote:

but they have relatively comfy chairs and good screens and headphones so you can watch them there

That's the problem with mine - pokey uncomfortable cubicles. Hence the need for youtube and DL and a fortune spent on foreign sites.

quote:

Post #: 320
RE: My Top Film Noir - 17/2/2010 11:12:36 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

Today, hopefully. I just want to watch another film first.

Cool. Im trying to get copies of the ones I've not seen on the list so far. Which is surprisingly many, given I thought I had noir pretty much covered. Guess you learn something new every day.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 321
RE: My Top Film Noir - 17/2/2010 1:49:23 PM   
elab49

No. 24

The Sound of Fury (1950)

Director: Cy Endfield
Writers: Joe Pagano (from his own novel) and Endfield

Spoiler Free Summary: Down on his luck working man hooks up with a small-time crook. When a kidnap goes wrong, the whipped up mob beckons.

"whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap"

Although this film might not be well-known I think many readers will better recall the first version of the story that it tells.

In November 1933 a lynch mob numbering thousands stormed a jail and hanged 2 men suspected of the kidnap and murder of a local man. By the time of the riot the Governor had all but encouraged the mob, the media were inciting them and, just before they struck, the body of the kidnapped man was found. The case retains some notoriety even now not just because of the horrific circumstances but because it also directly influenced 2 films. The first, Fritz Lang's stunning 1936 proto-noir Fury. The second as also referenced in the title, was this 1950 film from Cy Endfield The Sound of Fury (aka Try and Get Me, changed after it flopped, but in no way as evocative of the final minutes of the film as the original title was).

This is another noir that spits on the ideal of the American dream. Endfield's American home isn't the glowing American dream domesticity of Pitfall or Big Heat or countless other films of the period. Poverty, illness. Ex-GIs with no note of honour in their activity overseas. The American dream isn't working what did they fight for? The quiet desperation of poverty forms the core of this film, the reasons which drive Howard Tyler (Frank Lovejoy) to throw in his lot with Jerry Slocum (Lloyd Bridges) after a fateful meeting in a local bowling rink as Tyler is trying to find work to support his current family, with one more on the way. Slocum is slick takes Tyler back to his room and tempts him with his snazzy clothes and tales of easy money. But money isn't quite so easy Slocum's business is quick and dirty hold-ups. But Tyler has no choice there is nothing else out there. Alcohol helps him through it, but he's falling all the same, deeper into self-loathing. And then they step-up to an ill-thought out kidnap that doesn't quite work out as Slocum loses it his resentment at Miller's nice clothes and New York life pushes him to throw what plan he had out the window. Ignoring Tyler's initial attempt to stop him he loses control at a helpless, bound man. And once Tyler's tainted he strays (a sad little portrait of a lonely and needy woman by Katherine Locke), he wants to be punished and doesn't want to be home with the family anymore. Admitting the crime he is tracked down and eventually Slocum too none of this really a spoiler, because we already know the story. And then we get to the jail.

Fury is a fantastic film, but in the early days of the Hays Code a lot of punches were pulled. There was still some fabulous stuff in the court, contrasting the film taken of the feral crowd, with them sitting prim and proper in the court, as well as Tracy's vicious performance as the man who wants them to pay. But Endfield doesn't have those kinds of limits anymore. There are, for the most part, better films below this in my list, of that I have no doubt. But then we get to the last half hour or so. We see where the first scene comes in back to Brother Barnes the evangelist preaching to the blind (the optometrist pops out his message is being trampled on the title card), the message essentially that people in glass houses, etc etc. And the crowds start to form.

The riot scenes and the attack on the jail are astonishing pieces of film-making that drive the adrenaline of the viewer through the roof this is the man who gave us the siege at Rourke's Drift, sure enough. The mass crowd mill outside the jail, hundreds of people who give a damn good impression of a genuine angry mob. Inside, those responsible for the prisoners know they'll eventually have to give up without any support, and the best the chief can do is tell his men to remember faces. But the cells themselves? Tyler, resigned. He wants this; he feels it is his due. But Bridges? This is Lloyd Bridge's greatest performance when his son gets the Oscar that is his due next month there will be no question his talent was genetic. Livid with his former partner for giving him up, he's already losing it, going quite mad in the cell, yelling and provoking and bouncing off the walls when the mob break in he calls them all out, fighting tooth and nail, with rather less success than Oh Dae-Su. We don't see the final lynching. We don't need to.

"if frightened people are the measure of newspaper sales...."

I feel like I should add a recommendation to iplayer week 1 of Newswipe with this review. Half the show was spent on the decisions of the media to exaggerate road rage rates, swine flu rates, etc etc. Exactly what Gil Stanton does in this film for the hell of it and to sell papers and later we see the blatantly inflammatory front page that helps drive the crowd, fear mongering that the criminals will escape "justice" with ease.

Like many social noirs there is a tendency to lecture here a valid attack on the yellow press but the foreign shrink's concern for the mind of a man distressed by social ills to explain away a crime is somewhat reminiscent of my earlier entry The Sniper, with added European accent to enhance credibility "violence is a disease caused by moral and social breakdown".

"if a man becomes a criminal sometimes it is his environment that is defective"

The blatant socialist class politics of the film following on from the assumed attack on McCarthy in The Underworld Story led to Endfield's blacklisting in the US and, like many, he headed to the UK to continue to make films, including the aforementioned 2. But without that, these 2 films that brought him to wider attention and acclaim (although not commercial Sound of Fury certainly tanked) could have led to a far more noteworthy career than that he ended up with. There is a tangible anger and raw power to these 2 Americans films, lacking in the more tepid approach to social drama from the likes of Kazan.

So Cy Endfield didn't have the greatest of careers but he did make 2 other films that I love obviously Zulu, a great favourite on the boards, and also the brilliant Hell Drivers starring Stanley Baker, one of my favourite actors (and the answer to the clue above co-stars included William Hartnell, Patrick McGoohan, David McCallum and Gordon Jackson. Wilfred Lawson was Doolittle in Pygmalion). And he does a fantastic job here, particularly with that brutal attack on the jail by the lynch mob but also some lovely touches through the film, e.g., as the body is pushed down the hill of stones to the beach, as we follow that down and stay to watch the stones continuing to move.

Endfield and cinematographer Roe (and I'd challenge anyone to note this on first viewing!) give us lingering forewarnings of what's to come. As they take Miller to the beach Howard goes back to the car and the camera fades from the rope in the shape of a noose back into the action. Returning home at the tipping point to the second half of the film he stands outside his front gate, a pole reaching up behind him, angled to look for all the world like a gallows at his back.

Rarely has the frightening power of the mob been as well represented on film as in Sound of Fury. With 2 excellent lead performances, it is a pity that this film is still so hard to find, but it is well worth looking out.

Trivia: One of the reasons for the original incidents notoriety is the allegation that Jackie Coogan, a college friend of the victim, was one of the hanging squad in the lynch mob.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 29/3/2011 10:19:24 PM >

quote:

Post #: 322
RE: My Top Film Noir - 17/2/2010 1:53:54 PM   
elab49

Sorry - I may have mis-sized those pics. It makes it look as if I haven't written much

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 323
RE: My Top Film Noir - 17/2/2010 1:58:17 PM   
rawlinson

Great review.  Is the Coogan thing actually true or just urban legend? In your opinion.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 324
RE: My Top Film Noir - 17/2/2010 2:10:54 PM   
elab49

I don't think there was any dispute that he was a friend of Harts (the RW victim). And there were apparently reports of quite a few college sweatshirts in the mob - so it would make sense that a friend would be there. His actual participation in the murder itself, though, I've no idea. But Sound of Fury I think thinks so - it repeatedly shows University T Shirts at the forefront of the crowd and taking part.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 325
RE: My Top Film Noir - Classic No 24 17th Feb - 17/2/2010 2:26:23 PM   
Professor Moriarty

very good. I've seen Fury, but had never even heard of this. Unfortunately the only ones I've seen so are are in bold. Quite a poor return, so lots to go for

40. The Stranger (Welles, 1946)
39. Moontide (Mayo, 1942)
38. Stranger on the Third Floor (Ingster, 1940)
37. The Unsuspected (Curtiz, 1947)
36. Sorry, Wrong Number (Litvak, 1948)
35. The Reckless Moment (Ophuls, 1949)
34. The Sniper (Dymytryk, 1952)
33. This Gun For Hire (Tuttle, 1942)
32. Kansas City Confidential (Karlson, 1952)
31. Road House (Negulesco, 1948)
30. Phantom Lady (Siodmak, 1944)
29. Odds Against Tomorrow (Wise, 1959)
28. Pitfall (DeToth, 1948)
27. The Devil Thumbs a Ride (Feist, 1947)
26. The Racket (Cromwell, 1951)
25. Scarlet Street (Lang, 1945)
24. The Sound of Fury (Endfield, 1950)

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 326
RE: My Top Film Noir - Classic No 24 17th Feb - 17/2/2010 2:32:51 PM   
elab49

Road House is one that many won't have seen, so you're not doing at all badly there.

I'm guessing once it gets to the top 20 most will have seen the films - they'll just argue their inclusion or placing!

There are only a couple more, I think, that don't really have releases of any sort - one definitely I think.

quote:

Post #: 327
RE: My Top Film Noir - Classic No 24 17th Feb - 17/2/2010 2:43:09 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Actually I think I might have been hasty with Road House. My gut instinct was that I had seen it but a check in imdb means nothing to me. There's no Patrick of Swayze in this right?

That's 5 seen out of nearly 20... its not so great is it

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 328
RE: My Top Film Noir - Classic No 24 17th Feb - 17/2/2010 2:49:19 PM   
elab49

It's not bad when you consider the accessibility issues of quite a few of them - Moontide didn't get a DVD release till after it was in my list (no connection I'm sure ) , Reckless Moment and Odds Against Tomorrow have only recently had releases too. Most of the rest haven't, I don't think - maybe The Unsuspected?

quote:

Post #: 329
RE: My Top Film Noir - Classic No 24 17th Feb - 17/2/2010 4:44:11 PM   
TRM

quote:

It's not bad when you consider the accessibility issues of quite a few of them - Moontide didn't get a DVD release till after it was in my list (no connection I'm sure ) , Reckless Moment and Odds Against Tomorrow have only recently had releases too. Most of the rest haven't, I don't think - maybe The Unsuspected?

Its been like 5 years since the review, so its not too surprising

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: My Top Film Noir Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI