Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events - 29/12/2005 8:55:57 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events - 1/1/2006 7:40:25 PM   
doubleshiny

I really enjoyed it, much more than the Harry Potter films. I thought they had a real peril to them, if I hadn't read the books I think I probably would have thought the main characters were about to die at any second. The production design and the realisation of Lake Lacrimose in particular were fabulous.

"Claire, that's disgusting" - Sylar, Season 3
Post #: 2
RE: Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events - 3/1/2006 10:10:01 AM   
heartbreak_k1d20025

this film was a great movie to watch with the family, and when the children start to laugh there pretty little heads off when jim carrey gets going, it's infectious, and you can't help but laugh. The acting by the children was superb, i couldn't fault it. jim carrey was jim carey, but a jim carrey at his best. The story was pretty good, and the narration was flawless the whole basis of the comedy is based on the way the story is told. If you haven't seen this movie, then do because there are many things to like about it.

(in reply to doubleshiny)
Post #: 3
Stunning - 29/8/2006 1:42:12 PM   
swordsandsandals

Having never read the books, i was dubious about watching this, but it was a truly enjoyable film, shot beautifully, and with suprisingly good child leads. Jim Carrey was amazing as Count Olaf, and the screen tests on DVD just prove his genius. A particularly enjoyable performance as Stephano.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 4
Fabouluse Family Entertainment - 25/6/2007 6:27:19 PM   
mrdoom14

A stunning and very entertaining family film with a fabouluse tale and a excellent performance from Jim Careey

Post #: 5
A Terrific Family Picture - 8/1/2009 12:30:16 PM   
Ben Lee

Being a fan of the books, I was looking forward to the film version of A Series of Unfortunate Events. And whilst it wasn't flawless (under-used characters, slightly episodic feel to the proceedings), I still believe that it ranks alongside the first two Harry Potter films and the first Chronicles of Narnia film as a fantastic family movie. With brilliant acting (especially from a spot-on Jim Carrey and the wonderful child performers), clever direction from Brad Silberling and exceptional technical work (particularly the enchanting production design and achingly beautiful musical score from Thomas Newman), this is a heartfelt, witty and deliciously Burton-esque film that everyone in the family can enthusiastically devour.

Post #: 6
sequel? - 29/6/2009 7:41:45 PM   
england_cmr

A really really good film, very underrated in my opinion. The cast is fantastic, particularly Jimmy, Mezza and Emily. Wish there was a sequel!

Post #: 7
A Series Of Unfortunate Events: Brilliant! - 11/7/2010 5:56:05 PM   
LUCASLITTLEWOOD

I loved the books so when the film came out it had to be watched and I have to say it was one of the most impressive adaptations ever! It followed the original books very closely with expectations that unnecessary bits would be cut. I would have liked to see some sequels but as of yet still none. Very good film with a great all star cast. Must see for lovers of the books.

Post #: 8
A Series Of Unfortunate Events: Brilliant! - 11/7/2010 6:14:37 PM   
LUCASLITTLEWOOD

I loved the books so when the film came out it had to be watched and I have to say it was one of the most impressive adaptations ever! It followed the original books very closely with expectations that unnecessary bits would be cut. I would have liked to see some sequels but as of yet still none. Very good film with a great all star cast. Must see for lovers of the books.

Post #: 9
- 7/1/2011 9:56:35 PM   
nc_jj

Amazing. Jim Carrey is just fantastic, and the whole setting is whole Tim Burton-esque. This is just fabulous!

Post #: 10
- 29/8/2012 11:08:46 PM   
Workshed

A really good film with great performances (Carrey was brilliant) and cameos and a great feel all over. A children's film that didn't try to pander to the lowest common denominator and managed to be really funny and a little dark.

It's a real shame the planned sequels never got made.

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI