Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Criminal Justice

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Criminal Justice Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Criminal Justice - 30/6/2008 8:48:24 PM   
Mason Verger

Drama

Criminal Justice Monday 30 June
9:00pm - 10:00pm
BBC1
1/5

Clear your diaries - if you like thoughtful, uncompromising, brilliantly acted adult stories, then Criminal Justice, which runs nightly until Friday, will demand your attention. You may even find that resistance to this mighty chunk of drama from ex-barrister Peter Moffat (he wrote Channel 4's underrated legal drama North Square) is futile, even though it isn't easy to watch, and it doesn't sound a juicy prospect. Criminal Justice is about as dark as it gets as every decent person's worst nightmare unfolds in harrowing detail. But it grabs, and it doesn't let go. Young Ben Whishaw greatly impresses as fresh-faced Ben Coulter, a good lad whose world collapses after a night of excess when it appears he has committed a dreadful crime. The physical evidence is overwhelming. But Ben can remember nothing. Soon he's sucked into a starkly brutal, depersonalising and terrifying world that robs him of every last ounce of his dignity and even puts his life in danger. It's tough stuff and won't send you to bed whistling a happy tune, as it's relentless in its depiction of a legal system at the end of its tether. But its grip on the imagination is powerful.

RT reviewer - Alison GrahamVIDEO Plus+: 6837
Subtitled, Widescreen, Audio-described
Cast

• Ben Whishaw,Bill Paterson,Juliet Aubrey,Charlie Creed-Miles,Con O'Neil

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.
  • Post #: 1
    RE: Criminal Justice - 1/7/2008 1:31:24 PM   
    elab49

I tried to but the Beeb still screwed up. First of 5 nights and I can't watch the rest because Wimbledon shoved the show so late my Sky + only caught half of it.

Any info on whether they will reshow? This is for watching with more than one person and we can't all crowd round Iplayer.

EDit - well forget that. Beeb don't give a toss. I finally got through and they aren't showing it again as their schedules are 'jam-packed', the only option is possibly one with annoying sign-language people and they agree there isn't much point watching the rest if you didn't see the first part but they did show it at 9.45 even if they admit that meant anyone who was recording it was screwed.

Well - so much for their much hyped drama.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 1/7/2008 1:41:19 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Mason Verger)
    Post #: 2
    RE: Criminal Justice - 1/7/2008 8:50:57 PM   
    hongkongphooey

I managed to watch the final 10 minutes of what sky plus missed on iplayer, and I think you'll find it easy enough to catch up to be honest with just watching what sky recorded. There wasn't a cliffhanger and I'm pretty sure the basics of what happened will be covered by the 'previously' section. It is worth watching - probably because Ben Whishaw is such a good actor.

If you have HD, it is being repeated on the 10th. Pretty poor of BBC though to put it on straight after a live event - why wasn't the tennis on bbc 2 anyway?

(in reply to elab49)
    Post #: 3
    RE: Criminal Justice - 2/7/2008 12:51:44 AM   
    elab49

I haven't bothered with HD.

And Pete Postlethwaite and Bill Paterson and David Harewood and Lindsay Duncan!

But I'd rather watch something properly - and as the Beeb said it wasn't worth it (and you do have to wonder who they have manning the phones - the chap clearly couldn't give a damn about whether anyone bothered watching!)

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to hongkongphooey)
    Post #: 4
    RE: Criminal Justice - 4/7/2008 9:49:41 AM   
    jrewing1000

This is absolutely brilliant TV. Beautifully filmed and very calmly edited. A real study on tension and character destruction.

(in reply to elab49)
    Post #: 5
    RE: Criminal Justice - 4/7/2008 9:38:40 PM   
    hongkongphooey

I've enjoyed it a lot. Of course Sky had to break at exactly 9.00pm tonight so will have to watch the final episode on IPlayer - grr.

(in reply to jrewing1000)
    Post #: 6
    RE: Criminal Justice - 5/7/2008 11:28:03 AM   
    spark1

bit of cop out at end-it all conspiracy with prison mr big and copper.

(in reply to hongkongphooey)
    Post #: 7
    RE: Criminal Justice - 5/7/2008 9:39:57 PM   
    curve

Well, what a fantastic drama right until 10 minutes into the last episode and then it all seemed to go downhill a bit. It lost all the drama and tension of the previous episodes and the ending seemed to be a bit too convoluted. Still some of the best acting on TV this year so far.

There is no tomorrow...

(in reply to spark1)
    Post #: 8
    RE: Criminal Justice - 6/7/2008 12:20:21 PM   
    El Becks

quote:

ORIGINAL: curve

Well, what a fantastic drama right until 10 minutes into the last episode and then it all seemed to go downhill a bit. It lost all the drama and tension of the previous episodes and the ending seemed to be a bit too convoluted. Still some of the best acting on TV this year so far.

Agree fully with above; the denouement was disappointing but overall it was an extremely well-acted, enjoyable drama; hadn't seen Ben Whishaw in anything before but thought he was absolutely marvellous and Pete Postlethwaite and Bill Patterson are always first class.  Each episode ended with you feeling some stress and tension at what was going to happen to Ben, which, I felt, kept you looking forward to the next episode.  The portrayal of the legal system apparently annoyed some solicitors and barristers so that is an added bonus in my book. 

4.5/5 (take half a point off for the last episode being a bit of a letdown). 

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

(in reply to curve)
    Post #: 9
    RE: Criminal Justice - 11/7/2008 10:11:27 AM   
    Gimli The Dwarf

I thorougly enjoyed it. Completely engrossing and well acted by all. Ben Whishaw was terrific. The ending was a bit of a letdown but overall, excellent.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to El Becks)
    Post #: 10
    Page:   [1]
    All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Criminal Justice Page: [1]
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI