Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Oh Dear Me

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Oh Dear Me Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Oh Dear Me - 8/1/2009 6:56:58 PM   
steve_flow

You must have been watching something else, that film was amazing. I'll admit that some of the acting for the supporting characters wasn't brilliant and some of the characters themselves were pretty cliched and pretentious towards the start. But dam when the shit hits the fan the film gets into it's own. And of course that ending, can't say i didn't see it coming but dam, i think a part of my soul died watching that. Would recommend this to anyone. 9/10

(in reply to Pidge)
Post #: 211
A little gem - 16/1/2009 10:22:53 AM   
The Bantam Menace

I thought this was a fantastic little film, and has the single most depressing ending I've ever seen in cinema on it.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 212
- 16/1/2009 11:51:53 AM   
ARmy2510

Thanks for a smart horror (but stupid ending :D)

Post #: 213
Fantastic - 25/1/2009 1:03:15 AM   
muchobenny

Highly enjoyable horror, as long as you don't take it too seriously. I just wish the reviews I'd read before I saw it hadn't drawn attention to the bleak ending because I'm sure it would've had a much greater impact on me otherwise. Throughout the whole film I was aware that things were going to end badly.

Post #: 214
Another classic - 6/2/2009 11:50:26 AM   
otacons folly

Darabont makes a brilliant seige movie that just happens to have monsters in it.The feel of it is pure King,full of soul searching and even a few laughs.Thomas Jane is underrated as an actor and puts in a great performance here.i enjoy watching it again and again and it gets better each time.Turning out to be one of my favourite horrors in a long long time.

Post #: 215
Great film shame about the CGI - 17/2/2009 5:44:07 PM   
GavMan94

I really liked this film it had everything, the coolest giant spiders ever, you were right they do give you the shivers.Ek, interesting flys slash scorpions, but as soon as the big monsters came in it got a bit silly. But that ending was one of the best I've seen in a film. I really enjoyed this film. Terrific acting, a solid 4 stars from me, PS: that big monster would have got slaughtered by the Cloverfield monster.

Post #: 216
terrifically downbeat - 21/2/2009 11:52:35 PM   
tysmuse

Really good horror movie that works in several ways (b-movie horror, siege, apocalyptical) It's just so refreshing to see a horror movie done seriously, Darabont and his cast create a film that leagues ahead of all those repetitive identi-kit slash & gore movies which are just a bit of fun, where as this is truly depressing and bleak, The ending didn't shock or surprise me, I wouldn't describe it as a 'twist', but it is decent. The ride is more fun though.

Post #: 217
RE: Meh - 18/3/2009 10:46:56 AM   
genejoke

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Kevmiester

Pretty poorly overacted by all involved, especially marcia gay harden, pretty poor special effects, just not very scary or creepy, Dreadful, god awful dialague and an ending that feels forced and that you can see coming. Still not dreadful, and i did like the whole segment with the mad hatters taking over the store, but apart from that it just wasn't that good, am i honestly the only one to see that?

Over acted?  go and watch some keanu reeves.

(in reply to The Kevmiester)
Post #: 218
Very good - 10/6/2009 1:52:47 PM   
brokenking

Just saw this on DVD a couple of weeks ago and I have to say I probably should have seen this in the cinema. I don't think there is anything I wouldn't dissgree with in Empire's review. The regilious fanatics are suitably menacing and the level headed are equally desperate.

As I have nothing to say that hasnt been already been said, I'll go off on a tangent. It struck me that this would have made for a very good adaptation/extended story of the original 'Half-Life' game (which is not a challenge for anyone to attempt one), but the events and the causes are all similar to those of the game. The main difference is that it focused on how events were affecting everyday people rather the the military and science community.

As for the 'twist' anyone who doesn't see it coming isn't very movie literate. Yes, its depressing and it does geniunely suit the mood of the film, its just odvious.

Post #: 219
Ignore the imbeciles, this film is brilliant, the endin... - 14/8/2009 9:58:30 AM   
Horrorguru

Darabont should be patted on the back for Turning one of King's best Novellas into a kick ass movie that has shades of LOvecraft, and Romero thrown in for good measure, miles better than most of the tat that passes as horror these days, ( saw fans, People who prefer the remakes to the originals, yeah you dumbasses) The mist won't be for everyone, as to appreciate THE MIST you need a modicum of intelligence. Brilliant

Post #: 220
RE: The Mist - 6/9/2009 8:02:15 PM   
Ross Shapland

Watched the movie last night and was pleasantly surprised. Being a fan of both the original King story and seige-like plots in horror films I knew it had potential. I especially liked the giant creature, it wasn't milked and the lack of comment from the cast made the moment all visual. Maybe not four stars but a good three.

(in reply to Halloweenfreak)
Post #: 221
RE: The Mist - 6/9/2009 8:55:29 PM   
captainrentboy

Coincidently I rewatched this again on Blu Ray last night, liked it a lot more this time around too. The slightly wonky CGI kept taking me out of the film when I watched it the first time, but in HD B&W it all looks far more acceptible and creepy.
And like a few have stated, the ending's still a bitch!

(in reply to Ross Shapland)
Post #: 222
RE: The Mist - 7/9/2009 3:28:26 AM   
wgamador

The Mist

Positives
1. Excellent concept that doesn't get revealed until later in the film.
2. Nice sense of dread and impending doom once the mist arrives.
3. The movie wastes no time in introducing the menacing mist. There is no waiting around for it.
4. Real cool and intriguing creatures are introduced as the movie progresses.
5. Bittersweet ending that was definately unexpected.....
6. Although we've seen dangerous "Fog" movies, the mist still brings with it a sense of doom.
7. Real cool "hatching" scene.
8. I liked how we don't get any information about what is happening outside of the grocery store. We are left in the dark...is the mist occuring worldwide?! or is it just limited to the town?! I like that type of intrigue.

Negatives
1. The dialogue between the town's people seems really forced. Especially during hostile scenes, it just wasn't convincing enough, it really let me down considering it is a Stephen King novel and a Darabont film.
2. Some of the CGI is bad, not 'I AM LEGEND' bad, but close to it.
3. While the creatures towards the end of the movie were super cool and sent my imagination soaring....they should have had more screen time.
4. While we are told of the mists origin, just a little more information for us science geeks would have been really nice.
5. A tighter script could have made the film more suspenseful or maybe perhaps better casting call was needed.
6. Where were the town's law enforcement ?
7. The little boy's lines were too grown up at times, he was almost philosophical at times during what should have been a really frightening time for any kid.

*Final Verdict ......3/5......

*Loved the concept of why the mist arrives. Hated the dialogue and the casting, the chemistry was totally off between most of the characters. So add that to a medicore script and the film fell apart in that department for me. Otherwise the movie was interesting and kept me on edge, when the characters weren't fighting with one another that is.
I never read the book, so I dont know how close the film was kept to it, but Im almost sure that the book is probably scarier. I did enjoy the ending though....as uneven as it was. If you liked 30 Days of Night, check this one out, it has kind of the same scenerio....with less gore though.

"And as he, who with laboring breath has escaped from the deep
to the shore, turns to the perilous waters and gazes..."

(in reply to captainrentboy)
Post #: 223
RE: The Mist - 7/9/2009 12:15:13 PM   
CORLEONE

The massive multi-limbed thing near the end deserves its' own film!

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 224
RE: The Mist - 7/9/2009 12:19:54 PM   
Jasper_29

It's funny to see how much worse Tom Jane's performance get with a second viewing, particularly near the end...

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man..."

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 225
RE: The Mist - 7/9/2009 9:44:09 PM   
lebowski_24

Pretty ropey mid section with very clunky dialouge,i have heard thats intentional for a more b movie feel but for me its still tough to watch.However the last third of the movie makes up for any failings ,with some properly tense scenes and teriffecly over the top performances.Even if the effects are not exactly top notch i dont think they lessen the effect,(all about what you dont see).Some say the ending is bleak for bleaks sake and robs the audience .To me its brilliantly original and very powerful,better than the novels okay, but ambiguos ending.Special mention for "The voice of seraphim ",sung by lisa gerard,literally could not have picked a better piece of music to play over the last 5 mins.

(in reply to Jasper_29)
Post #: 226
RE: The Mist - 8/9/2009 3:44:35 PM   
wgamador

quote:

ORIGINAL: lebowski_24

Pretty ropey mid section with very clunky dialouge,i have heard thats intentional for a more b movie feel but for me its still tough to watch.However the last third of the movie makes up for any failings ,with some properly tense scenes and teriffecly over the top performances.Even if the effects are not exactly top notch i dont think they lessen the effect,(all about what you dont see).Some say the ending is bleak for bleaks sake and robs the audience .To me its brilliantly original and very powerful,better than the novels okay, but ambiguos ending.Special mention for "The voice of seraphim ",sung by lisa gerard,literally could not have picked a better piece of music to play over the last 5 mins.

Get the dvd and watch the extras......really will help you appreciate the film. I originally thought it was poor until the 3rd re-watch and the dvd extras....since then ive watche dit 4 more times and continue ti enjoy it.

"And as he, who with laboring breath has escaped from the deep
to the shore, turns to the perilous waters and gazes..."

(in reply to lebowski_24)
Post #: 227
RE: The Mist - 15/9/2009 9:02:04 PM   
_twilight_obsessed_

I saw this movie about 6 months ago, and I have to say I really didn't like it.. I didn't know what was going on half of the time, and the ending, I thought, was absurd.. There was no substance to the movie, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Post #: 228
RE: The Mist - 15/9/2009 11:55:40 PM   
spamandham

quote:

ORIGINAL: _twilight_obsessed_

I saw this movie about 6 months ago, and I have to say I really didn't like it.. I didn't know what was going on half of the time, and the ending, I thought, was absurd.. There was no substance to the movie, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Was twilight like, totally, much much better?

< Message edited by spamandham -- 15/9/2009 11:56:36 PM >

(in reply to _twilight_obsessed_)
Post #: 229
- 30/3/2010 12:23:33 PM   
sneeson

I loved it. My favourite horror film ever. A great examination of how fragile human civilisation is. SPOILER ALERT! I remember when they left the store and the requiem music was playing with the giant creature. All I could think was "Earth doesn't belong to us anymore ". Chilled me to the fucking bone. Darabont rocks!

Post #: 230
TWILIGHT SUCKS BALLS, this is a REAL MOVIE. - 8/8/2010 4:29:13 PM   
Horrorguru

King's Lovecraftian take on the themes of George A. Romero's Dawn of the dead directed by Darabont, The ending broke my heart, i loved this movie just sheer genius.

Post #: 231
Really?! - 29/9/2010 10:03:14 PM   
faulknerdrummer

That's an astonishing review Empire. This film is truly bad. Everything about it is bad. Even for a horror movie the actions of the characters are completely illogical (why go outside? why keep pulling a blood-soaked rope? do they want the lights on or off??). Watching this film is SO frustrating because the characters just run around like headless chickens, making it up as they go along. Combined with some clunky dialogue, shit acting, a soldier who looks like a transvestite, and not a single sympathetic adult character (shutup religious woman, shutup stubborn old black man, shutup insipid blonde tart), this is a 1-star film of the highest order. Utter crap.

Post #: 232
Rubbish! - 11/3/2011 11:40:19 AM   
alanlowney

Empire what were you thinking when you wrote this review??! It's one of the worst horror films I've ever seen. We rented it on Hallowe'en night and were yawning after 20 minutes. There is NOTHING scary about this and is an insult to the horror genre. I've seen scarier episodes of Spongebob Squarepants. Hammy acting, hopelessly outdated special fx, illogical decisons made only to facilitate the plot, this is complete and utter nonsense.

Post #: 233
The Mist - 5/4/2011 7:09:26 AM   
Tech_Noir

Loved it.

(in reply to steve_flow)
Post #: 234
RE: The Mist - 5/4/2011 8:06:35 AM   
threshold

Now this was weird
From heartwarming Shawshank through tearjerking (and heartwarming) green mile, to sappy the majestic to this downright depressing movie.
Darabont is definately the best director ever, he has never done anything stupid (even the majestic was a flawless directing effort)
and this film is no exception, it is downright more scarier than any other horro movie i've ever seen, it is quite simply, amazing.
4 stars for a techincally amazing effort, 1 star off for alienating horror hating audience.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 235
RE: The Mist - 5/4/2011 9:12:12 AM   
Gkel

I had a lot of trouble with it because someone told me the ending before I saw it--f**k!!!
So I was very critical when watching it. After a second viewing though I felt better.

I liked the idea but I didnt care for the execution.
The big stand out was the vampire guy(you know-the military cadet --he looked vampirish--had red lips) when he and the girl were talking in the storeroom right after the rope line killing-boy were they ever relaxed--it was like they were in a high school.
The behavior of the townspeople got on my nerves, especially the neighbor lawyer  who refused to believe the artist (I also had trouble with him being a movie poster artist--not that I mind movie industry characters in films but it was like the Wolf man-making  him  an actor for no real reason integral to the plot). And they had a throw away line to his military service which didnt seem to go anywhere.

I think if they were trying to make the story realistic they blew it with the behavior of characters.Too combative in some ways, too docile in others.

As for the ending--seemed mean spirited and pointless--I would have thought it made some sense if it was shown that the main character was flirting with the blonde woman and given the suggestion that he had abandoned his wife in the crisis(while the short haired woman had ventured out to seek her children), and the end was like an ironic  divine punishment for that sin despite his efforts to help the people  but I didnt get that feeling.

Too bad the military didnt have some sirens or megaphones to send messages into the mist.

(in reply to threshold)
Post #: 236
RE: The Mist - 9/4/2012 10:32:49 PM   
Whistler

There were so many bloody annoying characters who did bloody annoying things, but all in all it was a pretty decent little horror movie with a great ending.

(Also, it's not hard to see where Darabont cast most of The Walking Dead from )

(in reply to Gkel)
Post #: 237
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Oh Dear Me Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI