Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Utterly Brilliant....However...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Utterly Brilliant....However... Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Utterly Brilliant....However... - 26/7/2008 6:13:00 PM   
kenada_woo

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanCurley

It's amazing because it's shot in a way that's almost documentary. Not handheld, more like that TV cops. It's also inventive in the fact you've no idea what's out there. It isn't one beast, or one type of beast, and you've no idea what's gonna attack next (be it the size of a pigeon or the size of a football stadium. And yeah, the lunatic bible basher and her crazed manipulation of the situation was perfecto mundo.

I tried watching it again last night but fell asleep halfway through (...eerrr, I'll buy the DVD when it comes out, I promise!) due to drunken knackeredness. The actual mist itself is wonderfully creepy and scary. The endins extremely dark... Event Horizon isn't even the same sport. But we're done with that film that even Fish himself said was a load of nonsense.

But if you want to know about proper horror, check out John Tucker Must Die on Sky Comedy (just realised it's on in the background). It'll haunt you for the rest of your life.

Its shot like that because Daranbont loved filming an episode of The Shield (one of his fav shows), loving how you can shoot quick and get what you want etc...but i found out of place.  Its shot in a TV movie static way, then there's crash zooms in action scenes and handheld work -- felt like it was trying to make something not interesting interesting. 

The creatures we're pooh.  Like I said, they look like creatures from Evolution.  The mist is creepy in Silent Hill, The Fog and Dead and Buried, mist is creepy -- doesnt make it special.

Lunitic bible basher is the only thing that was interesting for me.  And the ending is really dark.  Doesnt make it good though.

And its Event is one of Fish's fav films.  Anderson says on the commentary Larry's got an Event Horizon leather jacket he used to wear all the time, and called Anderson when he was doing The Matrix to say that the wire work for te zero G stuff in Event helped him out loads in doing the wirework for that film.

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 151
RE: Utterly Brilliant....However... - 26/7/2008 6:43:51 PM   
Tank Boy

It wasn't perfect, but it was atmospheric and I really enjoyed it. I read the short story some years ago. I'm a big Dark Tower fan, and I like the little nods to that!

Chuck's Culture Carnival!

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 152
RE: Utterly Brilliant....However... - 26/7/2008 11:47:41 PM   
DanCurley

quote:

ORIGINAL: kenada_woo

Its shot like that because Daranbont loved filming an episode of The Shield (one of his fav shows), loving how you can shoot quick and get what you want etc...but i found out of place.  Its shot in a TV movie static way, then there's crash zooms in action scenes and handheld work -- felt like it was trying to make something not interesting interesting. 

The creatures we're pooh.  Like I said, they look like creatures from Evolution.  The mist is creepy in Silent Hill, The Fog and Dead and Buried, mist is creepy -- doesnt make it special.

Lunitic bible basher is the only thing that was interesting for me.  And the ending is really dark.  Doesnt make it good though.

And its Event is one of Fish's fav films.  Anderson says on the commentary Larry's got an Event Horizon leather jacket he used to wear all the time, and called Anderson when he was doing The Matrix to say that the wire work for te zero G stuff in Event helped him out loads in doing the wirework for that film.

quote:

ORIGINAL: kenada_woo

Its shot like that because Daranbont loved filming an episode of The Shield (one of his fav shows),

One of mine as well, he's got good taste

>> The creatures we're pooh.  Like I said, they look like creatures from Evolution.

lol! they're not that bad! Come on!

>> (i'm too drunk for html) And its Event is one of Fish's fav films.

I;m sure he wakes up every night covered in sweat wondering why Apocalpse Now was not as good

I'd give you my signature, but what would happen if you stole my cheque book? It would be a disaster.

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 153
For Fans Of The Book Ending... - 28/7/2008 3:41:02 AM   
karcreat

...You may be interested in a project I've just completed for fun...'The Mist- The Novella Cut', a fan edit of the film, which includes chapter headings, re-edits of sequences to mirror the original text more closely, and an entirely NEW ending for the film that more closely adheres to the novella finale. You can learn all about it here...http://www.karcreat.com/MistNovellaCut.html

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 154
Fans Of The Original Book Ending... - 28/7/2008 3:46:43 AM   
karcreat

...You may be interested in a project I've just completed for fun...'The Mist- The Novella Cut', a fan edit of the film, which includes chapter headings, re-edits of sequences to mirror the original text more closely, and an entirely NEW ending for the film that more closely adheres to the novella finale. You can learn all about it here...http://www.karcreat.com/MistNovellaCut.html

Post #: 155
Fans Of The Original Book Ending... - 28/7/2008 3:46:46 AM   
karcreat

Post #: 156
Oops!!! - 28/7/2008 3:53:49 AM   
karcreat

...My apologies for the 'hiccup' post of mine (multiple times!) below, here...my server sortta sucks...;)

K

Post #: 157
RE: Utterly Brilliant....However... - 28/7/2008 11:44:49 AM   
BigKovacs

quote:

Well I was only pointing out the two catagory's in comparrison "Inventivenss" and "Creatures" which The Mist is nowhere near to being as good as IMO not comparing films.

The Relic - Probably the most underrated creature feature of the last 10 years up until The Host came on the scene.  It has a great monster in it created by the late Stan Winston.

As for inventiveness -

Switchblade Romance - probably the most inventive slasher to come out in the past 5 years (slasher fans back this up) until Frontiers and Inisde came out. 

Silent Hill - Again underrated in my book.  Visually stunning and full of nightmarish scenes that uses its "fog" atmosphere to best effect and it religious cult theme to a better extent to pay off to its characters than the Mist with its ending.

Event Horizon - Same as above, visually striking, inventive haunting images and hasnt been topped for over 10 years because nobody's made a sci-fi horror in space for over a decade minus Pitch Black (another film I'd throw into the list).  Its also got a growing fanbase.

Land Of The Dead - What Romero is famous for is delivering inventive action and gore which this had in spades (and what Diary Of The Dead just never had).

Shaun Of The Dead - As above, just clever and inventive no matter if its a comedy.

Arachnophobia - Ditto.  Still has great tension more so than the spider-esque stuff in The Mist.

And I dont care about reviews honestly to prove a film is "good".  If I did I would've missed most if not all horror films that are released or came out (I'm looking at you John Carpenter).  And the fact Land, Switchblade Romance, Arachnophobia, Shaun Of the Dead all got equally if not better reviews than The Mist goes to show that dont mean much.

The Mist isnt a bad film, its just a non-starter with nothing new and just isnt fun to watch being that its all a bit pointless.

If you only factor in 'inventiveness' and 'creatures' you have to discount Land, Shaun and Swithcblade as non of them are creature features. Shaun and Switchblade are inventive in their own way but so different from The Mist they can't really be compared. Land is just plain bad.

The Relic has a good looking monster but that's all it has going for it, other than that it's a monster stalker by numbers and even then it's not that good.

SIlent Hill is similar in the sense that the monsters look great, the scenery and sound is also very good but the plot, characterisation and acting are second rate. I do think it got overlooked for it's nice visuals though, to be fair.

The same goes for Even Horizon, it just uses thin excuses to line up various morbid scenes. I'd say it's a pretty good horror but it's not that creative and doesn't have a creature per se.

Arachnophobia is a strange comparison but I can see where you're going with it, it doesn't have any sci-fi creatures but the spiders are damn scary and veryw ell done for it's time. It also invests time in the characters which adds buckets of tension to the danger.

The reason why I think the Mist has buckets more class than any of the films you've mentioned (bar Arachnophobia now I've hough about it) is becouse it has a human element which it works on and makes it equally as scary as the creatures involved. Event Horizon has a go at this but it's half assed and it fueled by a supernatural element. The Mist relies on good old fashioned fear and prejudice.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 158
RE: The Mist - 29/7/2008 2:14:22 AM   
scary_ice

quote:

I didn't come across anything about the bush admin, where was that reflected on? I don't remember the bit where he turns up, tries to bottle the mist and lob it into Iran.

Neither did I. That's what I'm saying.  Somebody earlier on said something about the movie making interesting decisions regarding post 9/11 America or something like that.  I'm not sure what they are but I'd like to hear from the people who did read something into it.

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 159
RE: The Mist - 29/7/2008 7:52:51 AM   
DanCurley

Someone's banging on about Batman being pro-Bush on the Batman topics. Makes people look smart dunnit, real hyper-intellectuals. No time for that sorta six-formian foamy-mouthed rabidity on an entertainment forum...

I'd give you my signature, but what would happen if you stole my cheque book? It would be a disaster.

(in reply to scary_ice)
Post #: 160
RE: The Mist - 29/7/2008 12:08:49 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

Someone's banging on about Batman being pro-Bush on the Batman topics. Makes people look smart dunnit, real hyper-intellectuals. No time for that sorta six-formian foamy-mouthed rabidity on an entertainment forum...

Yeah, I know. Just reading the title of the topic has made me never enter that one...

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 161
The Mist - 6/9/2008 11:11:53 AM   
trueborndjross

You never know what you're going to get with a Stephen King adaptation. Previous ones have been a bit of a hit or miss. But I'm pleased to say that this one firmly falls into the hit category. It's not particularly scary - more gruesome in a few scenes but they're well done and manage to give a sense of tension. Especially the pharmacy scene - you just know something creepy is waiting on our unfortunate shoppers when they go in! I was a bit worried about what the effects would be like after the initial 'tentacle' scene which was a bit dodgy but the rest of the effects were OK and didn't detract from the film at all. Mrs Carmody is the most unpleasant thing about the whole film and you're just willing for someone to smack her in the chops early on or for a big bug to bite her head off later. Nasty!

Post #: 162
RE: The Mist - 29/9/2008 7:50:27 AM   
Newander

Saw this last night and didn't know what to expect. Am pleased to say now it was great. Atmospheric, creepy and the ending...wow. So refreshing to see a non happy ending, makes it the more sinister.

To indeed be a god!

(in reply to trueborndjross)
Post #: 163
RE: The Mist - 29/9/2008 8:24:52 AM   
BobM70

It's a good litlle story but the film takes a bit too long to make its point (if there is one). The acting is adequate but the overall feel of the films is that this could have been told in a 25 min TV episode of the Twilight Zone. Not bad, but not that great actually.

Bob

It's not how long it takes, it's who's taking you...

(in reply to Newander)
Post #: 164
RE: The Mist - 2/10/2008 12:18:33 AM   
kargon

Started off alright, then the tentacle. It took em 20 minutes to suss those things were attracted to the torch lights for forks sake. Good then it just got worser

"I SAY WHAT I LIKE AND I LIKE WHAT I BLOODY WELL SAY".

"WHAT THE FUCK DOES ANYTHING HAVE TO DO WITH VIETNAM?"

"YOU BETTER BE PUTTING AWAY THAT BLADE, OR YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT, EVEN WHILE IT'S HAPPENING"

(in reply to BobM70)
Post #: 165
The Mist - 21/10/2008 10:31:50 AM   
AxelB

In my opinion it is the most shocking film based on a Stephen King novel. I spend alot of my time reading material from Stephen King and i have seen many films based on his book and it´s easy for me to say that this one is right up there with Carrie, The Green Mile and The Shawshank Redemption as far as im conserned.
Frank Darabont´s vision is engaging and very thrilling when it comes to transfering King´s novel to the screen and better is the ending that comes out of nowhere and gives the film a whole star by itself.
Although the film may be B-ish around it´s monster setting and a little obvious on it´s moral, it still picks itself up and uses those defects to it´s own atvantage. The acting and characters are the most negative thing in the film since they are very two dimensional and the CGI effects are not very well done overall.

Darabont is the main man when it comes to Stephen King adaptions and this one does not dissapoint fans of both men here.

Post #: 166
- 22/10/2008 4:28:02 AM   
Pat Roach

Cudos to Empire giving this 4 stars. I read the short story years ago, loved it. This is an excellent adaptation. Intelligent, low key and better than most of it's ilk.

Post #: 167
A Real Good Horror Movie. - 2/11/2008 9:47:21 AM   
joanna likes films

I rented this and saw it last night in the dark, making the movie come alive in pitch blackness. The first fifteen mintues brings tenison and horror as a massive mist overcomes the store and people begin to panic. As the film goes on, we see horrifying creatures attacking and one lone woman making others spilt into two groups. It is truely terrifying stuff, especially the spiders which my sister hates and the huge monster that lurks outside waiting for it's next kill. Thomas Jane makes a good action hero, they should use him more and he's brilliant in this. The ending really did shock me, it still hasn't left my mind and probably will haunt me for the rest of my life. It's a shame that the Americans didn't like it, well worth seeing and perhaps the best horror movie I've seen for a long while.

Post #: 168
Fantastic! - 2/11/2008 9:19:37 PM   
epdug

I loved it, really atmospheric, great performances, pacing, and I dont see how I could ruin anything by saying one of the best movie endings ever!!

Post #: 169
Excellent - 5/11/2008 9:57:49 AM   
captainamazing

Do yourself a favour and make sure you watch the black and white version. It works so much better, and its how the director intended the film to be. I'm told when he saw the ending (which is different to the book), Stephen King wished he'd had that idea - Darabont had to sacrifice half the $30million budget to be allowed to have it finish like that! A-grade film in B-movie guise.

Post #: 170
Dark as hell - 5/11/2008 1:59:58 PM   
Biggs Darklighter

**** MASSIVE SPOILERS ****

I knew nothing whatsoever about this movie when I picked it up and I recommend anyone who hasn't seen it to stay the hell away from spoilers/ reviews. (EDIT : which means you must stop reading this now!! ) All I can say is I agree with anyone who says this is one of the great horrors of recent times.

The monsters (including the humans) are nice and nasty, (the bit in the pharmacy is pure Aliens, people cocooned with creatures growing in their bodies), it's well acted and has a great collection of characters.

I can full well see why this flopped in America, the bible basher is psychotic which can't have gone down too well over there, the ending is arguably one of the darkest I've seen -ever! My only question is could they have not waited a few hours, at the very least until they were under attack before taking a bullet?

< Message edited by Biggs Darklighter -- 5/11/2008 2:03:55 PM >

(in reply to captainamazing)
Post #: 171
RE: Dark as hell - 5/11/2008 2:06:58 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Biggs Darklighter

**** MASSIVE SPOILERS ****

I knew nothing whatsoever about this movie when I picked it up and I recommend anyone who hasn't seen it to stay the hell away from spoilers/ reviews. (EDIT : which means you must stop reading this now!! ) All I can say is I agree with anyone who says this is one of the great horrors of recent times.

The monsters (including the humans) are nice and nasty, (the bit in the pharmacy is pure Aliens, people cocooned with creatures growing in their bodies), it's well acted and has a great collection of characters.

I can full well see why this flopped in America, the bible basher is psychotic which can't have gone down too well over there, the ending is arguably one of the darkest I've seen -ever! My only question is could they have not waited a few hours, at the very least until they were under attack before taking a bullet?

I think they'd accepted that the world was over by then. And with the car running out of gas, rather than go into the mist they decided it was the best way to go.

Unbelievable ending to the year's best horror.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Biggs Darklighter)
Post #: 172
RE: Dark as hell - 5/11/2008 3:21:13 PM   
Biggs Darklighter

Yeah I never thought for a million years The Mist would have that much of an impact - an instant classic. The ending really is just superb

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 173
Sticks In Your Head - 10/11/2008 6:48:42 AM   
BrooksyTHX1138

I watched This Film quite a while back, before it was released here but after the US release and it still plays in my mind. The finale sequence is easily comparable to how the end of Seven made me feel on watching it. I cannot seem to get anyone else i know to watch it though!

Post #: 174
Best thriller/horror since Saw I - 10/11/2008 6:07:12 PM   
jonathanegan1

At last, after all the rubbish ive watched in 2008 its a relief to finally watch a classic:) Whats even more strange is that Empire actually gave this a review I agree with. This film is what "The Happening" tries to be and if you thought that was decent you'll look back at it in laughter after watching this. The ending is as shocking as ive ever seen and the tension built up throughout the movie will have you frothing at the mouth. Film of 2008 by quiet a distance!!

Post #: 175
- 16/11/2008 2:30:09 PM   
stupidfathobbit

I'm sorry. After watching this movie I had to log on to see whether the DVD packaging had misquoted Empire's review to boost it's appeal. I knew something was up when the chap in Blockbuster tried to put me off renting it. I will never again poo-poo his advice and have lost 2 hours of my life as a result. This was terrible. Wonky CGI apart, the monsters were as frightening as Wall-e and after listening to all.... that.....talking. my whole family was praying the things would break in the window and take them all. No tension, no scares and an ending that is not only depressing but ridiculous and illogical. The biggest disappointment of 2008 and one of the few times I have ever felt cheated by an Empire review. Awful.

Post #: 176
RE: - 17/11/2008 9:15:21 AM   
DancingClown

Saw it last night and I'm still gobsmacked. Unbearably tense, amazing ensemble cast, haunting atmosphere, and one of the bravest and bleakest endings I have ever seen.

Utterly, utterly brilliant. Five stars from me.

< Message edited by DancingClown -- 17/11/2008 9:30:26 AM >

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to stupidfathobbit)
Post #: 177
RE: RE: - 17/11/2008 12:04:39 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

am i seriously like the only person that hated the bleak ending? I really couldn't stand how dark it ended, urgh depressing. Overall i liked the movie and would love to see the black and white version but its just the ending that left a really sour taste in my mouth.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 178
RE: RE: - 17/11/2008 5:08:23 PM   
blackduck

All in all an above average film. The first tenticle shot was awful, thing is it could have been easly solved if they'd knocked out some of the lights or let some of the mist into the room or gone all shaky cam on it. They clearly didn;t have enough money to make effects that should be seen in all thier glory. On the plus side the acting was top notch and for the most part thier motivations were beliveable. As for the much talked about ending, it would have had more of an impact if they'd been shown to have held a little longer, it'd only been two days and a bit of a drive with no stops at the petrol station.

I am but an egg.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 179
RE: RE: - 18/11/2008 9:16:54 AM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

am i seriously like the only person that hated the bleak ending? I really couldn't stand how dark it ended, urgh depressing. Overall i liked the movie and would love to see the black and white version but its just the ending that left a really sour taste in my mouth.

That's the idea.....

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Utterly Brilliant....However... Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI