Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: How the...? What the...?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: How the...? What the...? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: How the...? What the...? - 6/7/2008 1:44:56 PM   
jabbathehutt

quote:

ORIGINAL: frederik

FOUR STARS?! I'm in shock... I watched the movie last night and couldn't believe my eyes. It plays out like a mixture of a poor Twighlight Zone episode and any old King tv-move/series, with a group of overacting overclicheed stereotypes reaciting in ways makes you scream at the screen. Darabont has previously his worth in the B-horror genre with (writing) The Blob, but the reference in this movie to The Thing just emphasizes how talentless The Mist is compared to Carpenters true B-horror masterpiece.

The poster to The Thing, like the others that appear in the main character's studio, was painted by Drew Struzan. It was a homage to Drew not referencing The Thing. At least that's how I saw it.

(in reply to frederik)
Post #: 91
RE: How the...? What the...? - 6/7/2008 5:36:58 PM   
felix sore foot

Another one for the academy of the overrated, Frank Darrabont turns in yet ANOTHER Stephen King adaptation...and typically it sucks. He seems to have the ability to direct actors in such a way that it would appear they are told to deliver their lines & move zombie-like. Though that's the least of this film's problems. Not only isn't it scary, it's fairly poorly shot, drags by eternally and leaves you feeling that you really should've left after half an hour.

That said, it is fantastic compared to the utterly abhorrent The Majestic. Possibly the worst film ever made.

nothing worth knowing can be understood with the mind

(in reply to jabbathehutt)
Post #: 92
One of the best horror films in the past decade/Most de... - 6/7/2008 6:13:41 PM   
N.I.N

One of the best horror films in the past decade. Great cast with one exceptional performance by Marcia Gay Harden. It's a classic horror film from Stephen King with great characters with real emotion and depth. Frank Darabont does a excellent job in adapting this from book to screen. My only minor problem was the CGI with the creatures because the felt too fake. Also, the ending has got to be the most depressing ending ever. which is not necessary a bad thing.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 93
One of the best horror films in the past decade/Most de... - 6/7/2008 6:13:49 PM   
N.I.N

One of the best horror films in the past decade. Great cast with one exceptional performance by Marcia Gay Harden. It's a classic horror film from Stephen King with great characters with real emotion and depth. Frank Darabont does a excellent job in adapting this from book to screen. My only minor problem was the CGI with the creatures because the felt too fake. Also, the ending has got to be the most depressing ending ever. which is not necessary a bad thing.

Post #: 94
People brought up watching shite, wont like this film. - 6/7/2008 9:20:00 PM   
Horrorguru

I love stephen King's original Novella The Mist. The lovecraftian horror story is absolutley brilliant from start to finish. When i found out a film version was going to be made, i waited and waited until finally it was released on Region 1 in america after a poor theatrical release ( americans are stupid at times, but i love em). anyway Frank darabont helms the best King adaptation in years.
Very faithfull to the book, and a new ending that will mind fuck you for years. brilliant brilliant brilliant.

Post #: 95
Solid Horror. - 7/7/2008 10:34:01 AM   
Rich Empire

I like this alot, you can tell they were kind of on a budget at times but that only adds to it's B movie charms in my opinion.
I found the characters in The Mist film more enjoyable to watch rather than in Cloverfield, which I also enjoyed alot but I found the cast in that film a little annoying.
I give the director Frank Darabont alot of credit for sticking to an ending that most would have shyed away from. Maybe the music, which had been absent for most of the film ( a great great move to add to the tension!) should have been toned down a bit at then very end? One of my very few gripes in an other-wise great fun trip to the cinema. : )
All in all a good well directed solid horror flick.

Post #: 96
Acid web slingers! Nice and creepy - 7/7/2008 3:10:51 PM   
Gold Digger

I quite liked it. It remained pretty creepy throughout and the creatures were not too cute! The people's reaction to what was happening seemed quite realistic and there was a feeling that this is how most people would react in such a terrifying situation. Liked the evil looking spiders with their acid burning web - clearly an option that Spiderman should consider! Quite like the ending as it's downbeat but also in part upbeat. Would have liked a few military jets blowing that big walking cow monster up though.

Post #: 97
- 8/7/2008 12:49:57 AM   
omarx

Very creepy, and what makes it even more diturbing was the fact that the horror was not outside, but inside, in the shape of a fantastically fanatical Marcia Gay Harden.. Thomas Jane does a very good job as the tortured father... and then.. THE ENDING.... WOW!!!!! Unrelenting, unexpected, and totally cements the feeling of dread and depression that Darabont was meticilously building up from the first frame.. This film really confirms Darabont as a serious direectorial and screen writing talent.. and it just might give us a glimps on what Indy 4 would have been.. A must see

Post #: 98
Creepy, not Scary but SO GOOD! - 8/7/2008 3:36:52 PM   
Karl Crutchley

This is up there with my best films of the summer so far, surpassing Wanted, Hulk & Iron Man. One of the creepiest, most tense films I have seen in a long while. My god, that ending. Its been stuck in my mind for days now.
Everyone came out of the screening just dumbstruck. But not dumbstruck like when we walked out of The Happening as in "What the f#*k was that shit?" but in a "That was effing excellent, didnt see that ending coming" dumbstruck. The irony being, I only got to hear about this by seeing a trailer for it before The Happening.
Ok, the special effects were a bit 90's quality, but even so, believeable enough to freak the audience out. The atmosphere created throughout was more than enough to have the crowd including me biting our nails & gripping the chair, so Kudos to all involved in making it.
I can't recommend thsi film enough, and i'm sure all those that eventually see it on DVD as its cult status increases will wish they had seen it on the big screen.

Post #: 99
RE: Creepy, not Scary but SO GOOD! - 9/7/2008 9:08:31 AM   
CORLEONE

SPOILER HEAVY!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT!!!!

Finally got to see this last night. Whoa! Best horror I've seen in ages! And THAT ending!! Just when you think the whole world's gone to shit, THAT would have been bleak enough, and then just when you think they're all going to commit suicide, THAT would have been bleak enough, but then for Tom Jane to kill his son and friends only for the mist to clear???? Well, quite frankly I'm still in shock.

This is the opposite of "they all lived happily ever after".

4 STARS.

< Message edited by CORLEONE -- 9/7/2008 9:18:13 AM >

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Karl Crutchley)
Post #: 100
RE: Creepy, not Scary but SO GOOD! - 9/7/2008 9:18:38 AM   
MOTH

Enjoyable bit of hokum, sustaining it's premise pretty well throughout and well acted by the ensemble cast. Suffers a little when CGI creatures are revealed - perhaps they should have been left a little more to the imagination - and there's a lack of genuine scares, but rallies strongly with a ballsy ending, which is refreshingly downbeat, but which will no doubt impact negatively upon box office returns as it did in the US. (7/10)

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 101
RE: Creepy, not Scary but SO GOOD! - 9/7/2008 9:18:52 AM   
mejaars

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

You might want to cover that spoiler up a bit more, if anybody reads it who hasn't seen the movie, it will be a big fat shame.

- Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong -

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 102
RE: Creepy, not Scary but SO GOOD! - 9/7/2008 9:19:37 AM   
Castor Troy

A brilliant film let down only by the effects and Thomas Jane's acting at the very end. It really reminded me of The Thing which is obviously a good thing and there were some amazing set pieces in there.

4/5

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 103
RE: Creepy, not Scary but SO GOOD! - 9/7/2008 9:30:33 AM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: mejaars

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

You might want to cover that spoiler up a bit more, if anybody reads it who hasn't seen the movie, it will be a big fat shame.

Don't know how to do the invisible ink thing I'm afraid . Surely my warning suffices?

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to mejaars)
Post #: 104
Brilliant! - 9/7/2008 2:30:57 PM   
marty_mcfly84

This is film is an intense-no-holding-back character study on human civilisation. The monsters are scary and make you squirm but not as much as the mini-civilisation of humans in the shop deteriorating - by every minute - into mindless animals; chasing redemption from a 'blood thirsty god' first testament style. Do not miss this - its brilliant!

Post #: 105
Brilliant! - 9/7/2008 3:23:05 PM   
marty_mcfly84

This is film is an intense-no-holding-back character study on human civilisation. The monsters are scary and make you squirm but not as much as the mini-civilisation of humans in the shop deteriorating - by every minute - into mindless animals; chasing redemption from a 'blood thirsty god' first testament style. Do not miss this - its brilliant!

Post #: 106
Disappointment! - 9/7/2008 3:56:17 PM   
thomasbarnes

I had really high hopes for this film, being firstly a big fan of Stephen Kings novels, and secondly Frank Darabonts work, the superb Shawshank Redemption and the Green mile. However, this film was a huge disappointment, especially following the reviews. I was expecting a very chilling, atmospheric film, instead i saw a typical horror b-movie, which would have been perfect for the 1980's, and the effects would have fitted in superbly back then or for a tv movies! In all honesty, these effects let this film down, as soon as the creatures appear, you feel let down by the film, as you now there are no scares to be have as the effects are so poor, espeacially for the times we live in. I really expected so much more from this movie, especially because of its director, i would have thought such a director could afford descent effects! Dont get me wrong there are good points to this film, most of the acting is good, especially from Thomas Jane, who is excellent, a very caring father figure and always good for action sequences, but its his enemies that let him down once again! The direction is good as i would have expected, with superb angle shots, but the poor effects and absence of atmosphere really let this film down, and it just feels like another failed stephen king adaption attempt....please someone get it right!

Post #: 107
- 10/7/2008 1:13:33 AM   
wooz

Wow. An hour after having left the cinema, I'm still shell-shocked. Not perfect by a very long way, but seriously powerful, this movie will be crawling around in my head for a while yet.

Post #: 108
RE: - 10/7/2008 7:50:09 AM   
Wessing

This was a stupid movie, with a stupid plot, and a stupid sub plot about religion.  I CAN stand it when films try and send a message and it WORKS, but not when they try and insert this quarrel over religion because it simply does not work for anyone but the simple minded.  The religious woman was unrealistic, and in reality (even thouh the movie is sci-fi), no human being would be that easily persuaded to adopt certain extremist views of an apocalypse and necassary sacrifice.
half a star

Thank your mother for pointing that out

(in reply to wooz)
Post #: 109
RE: RE: - 10/7/2008 9:56:43 AM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wessing

The religious woman was unrealistic, and in reality (even thouh the movie is sci-fi), no human being would be that easily persuaded to adopt certain extremist views of an apocalypse and necassary sacrifice.
half a star

How on Earth do you know how you'd react to something you thought was the end of the world? I think you'd find a lot of people would turn to God - just in case he actually does exist!

(in reply to Wessing)
Post #: 110
RE: About time!!!!!!! - 10/7/2008 10:26:07 AM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: hypnotoad

I was stunned when i saw the advert for this on the telly the other day. i got this on R1 DVD a couple of months ago and even though it is low budget, it holds up against any film in sheer spectacle, the last beastie you see is a real jaw dropper!!!
It is weird that it didnt come out here sooner with the non hollywood ending. i would have thought that this film would have been better suited to a british cinema audience seeing that Neil Marshall gave us the Descent with that uber bleak ending and then the "happy happy" yanks getting a happy (ish) ending. Weird.

because British audiences are so much more sophisticated than American ones? That's such a stereotypical and boring view. American audiences are just as smart as UK ones.

Kazuya!!!! Get in here!!! This newbie is slagging off your countrymen!!!

Yeah, that happens a lot on these forums. Irritating, but in the end who cares

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 111
RE: About time!!!!!!! - 10/7/2008 10:27:04 AM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: hypnotoad

I was stunned when i saw the advert for this on the telly the other day. i got this on R1 DVD a couple of months ago and even though it is low budget, it holds up against any film in sheer spectacle, the last beastie you see is a real jaw dropper!!!
It is weird that it didnt come out here sooner with the non hollywood ending. i would have thought that this film would have been better suited to a british cinema audience seeing that Neil Marshall gave us the Descent with that uber bleak ending and then the "happy happy" yanks getting a happy (ish) ending. Weird.

because British audiences are so much more sophisticated than American ones? That's such a stereotypical and boring view. American audiences are just as smart as UK ones.

Kazuya!!!! Get in here!!! This newbie is slagging off your countrymen!!!

Get the fuck out. Now.

Hate that term.

Great moderating as usual, Felix.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 112
RE: About time!!!!!!! - 10/7/2008 11:17:46 AM   
roary rover

I enjoyed it, but I think more because it was pretty faithful to the novella, rather than because it was a great film in its own right. 
If i'd have been coming to it cold, i think there would have been more that irked me (lack of character depth/fairly shoddy monsters/a lack of genuine scares etc.).  As it was, it didn't bother me as much as it probably should have.

Terrific ending though.

< Message edited by roary rover -- 10/7/2008 11:29:23 AM >

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 113
- 10/7/2008 3:52:00 PM   
mrjelly

too much religion
bad ending
there were good bits, but the bad bits way heavily on my mind

Post #: 114
RE: About time!!!!!!! - 10/7/2008 3:52:55 PM   
lua

What I liked most about this film was that it so easily could have been turned into a brainless gore-fest had it been handled by anyone else, but Darabont got it spot on, there are a few moments when I had to turn away but overall it was the bleak and ominous presence of the mist itself which creates the chilling feel of the film. Obviously this is a credit to King but I think Darabont stayed faithful to the book in that respect. Films like Hostel and Saw have been churned out for too long now, I don't want to see gore after gore, I want a film to create a genuinely terrified reaction, not because of what i'm seeing, but what i'm not, and therefore what I am imagining. However it has to be said the most disturbing aspect of the film was not what was going on outside, but the reaction of some people inside the store. I dislike disaster films which show everyone sticking together and tackling the problem straight away, it's not realistic; some people will turn against each other and some people will be too terrified to be able to do anything.
Empire were right to give it 4 stars, it's definately the scariest film i've seen in a long time.

(in reply to roary rover)
Post #: 115
RE: - 10/7/2008 4:10:31 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: mrjelly

too much religion

Not a Passion of the Christ fan?

(in reply to mrjelly)
Post #: 116
People will probably hate the ending, but I found it ve... - 10/7/2008 6:38:17 PM   
sunnygirly2k4

First of, I think this - in terms of horror - is everything Cloverfield probably wishes it was and could never be for me. It expertly raised the tension and drew genuine scares from the audience.

The acting is very good from all, the mist of the title is forboding and well realised, fades to black after each scene to give it a reflective feel and the music was just amazing and added to the atmosphere. The ending, as I said left me distressed, depressed and without hope so I was silent leaving the cinema but it just added to it's power for me.

< Message edited by sunnygirly2k4 -- 10/7/2008 6:40:35 PM >

Post #: 117
Woweewowwowwow - 10/7/2008 11:53:00 PM   
whiterussian77

What a movie. First up, this is a B movie, ok. So let's put aside all pretensions right away: this is a monster movie & it's loud and proud of the fact. And it is absolutely amazing.

In a summer of ups (Iron Man) and downs (Indy - yes, Indy), The Mist is definitely in the former camp. Darabont abandons his infamous sentimentality for a far bleaker outlook (helluva an ending, Frank...) that breathes fresh life into the horror genre (Saw IV? Please).

With a tight script, a broad selection of characters played with gusto by a score of familiar faces (ok, Marcia Gay Harden's Mrs Carmody is a bit cartoonish, but to say she is unrealistic is wrong - I'm a religious guy and I've met people comparable to her... ok, maybe not that nutz but near enough...), a great score, economical use of CGI (Cloverfield? Pah).... And for a horror movie, this is dazzling, without being truly terrifying - the most frightening monsters are the humans! Great stuff.

I was told that this was good by a few folk who managed to see it before me, but they undersold it to me by a long shot. An amazing horror movie, yes, but a fantastic movie in its own right, The Mist brings a rare flash of class to an art & entertainment form bereft of such quality. And it's great to see Thomas Jane in a fantastic leading man role - he holds the line damn well, and on this evidence, he should be handed every decent script that comes along....

Amazing - I keep using that word. It just seems the most appropriate. What a film. Makes Cloverfield look like the gimmick it is - for a real chilling monster ride, look no further than The Mist.

What more can I add? If you like grade A quality horror movies, that don't rely on splat & gore, then this movie will rock your world. The thinking man's horror movie, if you will.

In conclusion, the only film I expect to see this year that impresses me as much as The Mist did, is.... The Dark Knight. Step it up, bats.

Post #: 118
RE: "Best horror movie in years." - 11/7/2008 8:48:36 AM   
BasilFawlty

This film was superb and givs the pleasingly difficult task of choosing wich horror film i thought was better, this or the orphanage. This well-acted, Thomas Jane once again showed that if given the rite material he can turn in a v gd performance, with a cast of wonderfully construced characters. The creatures were intresting in their design and ther un-natural look was justified as they wer nt meant 2 b natural. I liked the fact this film developed character and setting as opposed 2 jst goin straight 4 the jugular. And the ending, wow. Had the same effect for me as the orphange ending.
A word about this flopping in the states. It flopped in the states nt because americans r stupid and can't handle bleak endings. That is a stereotype held up 4 far too long. Many successful horrors hav bleak endings. This flopped because it was released on Thanksgiving against Enchanted. It is nt a Thanksgiving movie. Also over here the film has faired little better. It opened @ Number 7 this week and is likely to fall out of the charts v quickly. Ther were maybe 20 in the cinema including me and my three friends. So by all counts beyond the film-magazine, forum using core British cinema goers will respond similiarly 2 those in the states. Shawshank also flopped on release bt was found again on video. I believ this will b the case 4 the mist. Can we giv the America bashing a break and realise no matter wher this will b released, as gd as it is, it is likely 2 underperform/flop. It's that kind of film.
But seriously seek it out. Tis brilliant.

(in reply to Cameron1975Williams)
Post #: 119
RE: The Mist - 11/7/2008 8:53:15 AM   
Halloweenfreak

Great movie...one of the best Stehpen King from book to films I've seen in such a long time....reminds me of The Fog but with creatures and not ghosts...Thomas Jane was great

"I met this 6 year old child with this blank, pale emtionless face and the blackest eyes...the Devils eyes"- Dr.Loomis 'Halloween'

"These are the eyes of a Psychopath"

Whoa Dream Big- Juno

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: How the...? What the...? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI