Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: sweet jesus x2

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: sweet jesus x2 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: sweet jesus x2 - 2/7/2008 7:03:41 PM   
PerfectlyFlawed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark_b

What is happening to the empire review system? This was a terrible movie, the acting was shocking and the plot was poor. Just looking through the recent reviews, ironman and the new hulk were much better than these on every level and only got 3/5. How did street kings achieve 3/5? I had to turn that off 30 mins in! Sort it out empire!!

You turned it off after 30 minutes and still feel qualified to give an accurate review.....bizzare

(in reply to Mark_b)
Post #: 61
RE: sweet jesus x2 - 2/7/2008 9:54:23 PM   
Rgirvan44

Between The Mist and REC we have two of the best horror movies of the last decade. An amazing film which gets the tone of Stephen King spot on with just the right mix of Lovecraft thrown in for good measure.

I bought the Region One DVD but will be going to the cinema to see it. Thats how good it is.

It easily ranks up there with the likes of The Thing and Night of the Living Dead.

5/5

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to PerfectlyFlawed)
Post #: 62
Mist rocks - 2/7/2008 11:58:24 PM   
lynnshep

One of the best thrillers I've seen in a while. Well acted and directed. Extreme premise but played with real world attention and action. Great twist ending. Scary as hell--but more human scary than creature scary.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 63
RE: sweet jesus x2 - 3/7/2008 2:15:34 AM   
Mark_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: PerfectlyFlawedYou turned it off after 30 minutes and still feel qualified to give an accurate review.....bizzare

You can tell the quality of the film in the first 30 minutes, so my review is just of the 30 minutes, may not be considered accurate but I couldnít stand any more. Fair enough some movies take a while to warm up, but from the first 10 minutes I could see the vomit worthy acting and ghastly plot. So I apologise if the writers suddenly turned good and Keanu Reeves learnt to act after that 30 min boundary hehe! (he was good in the first matrix though!)

I was really looking forward to see the mist, but I just donít understand how people can like it and I donít dislike it because of the ending either. Iím hardly a fussy film watcher but I just wasnít entertained!

(in reply to PerfectlyFlawed)
Post #: 64
the missed - 3/7/2008 7:14:00 AM   
nsm1

quite simply one of the worst horrors of recent year. woeful characters awful acting and CGI that makes Doctor Who look like Pixar. Please please avoid. Empire you couldn't be more wrong. Its an insult to straight to tv movies

Post #: 65
the missed - 3/7/2008 7:14:02 AM   
nsm1

quite simply one of the worst horrors of recent year. woeful characters awful acting and CGI that makes Doctor Who look like Pixar. Please please avoid. Empire you couldn't be more wrong. Its an insult to straight to tv movies

Post #: 66
RE: the missed - 3/7/2008 10:30:55 AM   
CORLEONE

You wait nearly a year for a film and then your local cinemas don't even show it. Tw*ts.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to nsm1)
Post #: 67
RE: Mist rocks - 3/7/2008 12:48:47 PM   
BigKovacs

quote:

ORIGINAL: lynnshep

One of the best thrillers I've seen in a while. Well acted and directed. Extreme premise but played with real world attention and action. Great twist ending. Scary as hell--but more human scary than creature scary.

I think I know what you mean, the sanctuary of the market turned out just as bad as the monster infested Mist. Something all monster/horror movies all have, zero places to hide.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to lynnshep)
Post #: 68
How the...? What the...? - 3/7/2008 2:57:27 PM   
frederik

FOUR STARS?! I'm in shock... I watched the movie last night and couldn't believe my eyes. It plays out like a mixture of a poor Twighlight Zone episode and any old King tv-move/series, with a group of overacting overclicheed stereotypes reaciting in ways makes you scream at the screen. Darabont has previously his worth in the B-horror genre with (writing) The Blob, but the reference in this movie to The Thing just emphasizes how talentless The Mist is compared to Carpenters true B-horror masterpiece.

Post #: 69
The greatest horror movie of the last decade. - 3/7/2008 4:28:03 PM   
nc_jj

Amazing. Perfect.

Post #: 70
- 4/7/2008 5:13:01 PM   
casherbc

that ending will gloom anyones day up,
awesome film again from darabont

Post #: 71
The Mist - 4/7/2008 5:40:48 PM   
qualidad

Superb

Post #: 72
- 4/7/2008 9:39:22 PM   
CameronJames

Incredible, nothing like this has been done before, and it's unlikely anything will again, it is at once a monster flick with shock and terror at it's core and a beautiful study of the human condition.

Post #: 73
clinically depressed... - 5/7/2008 1:21:56 AM   
homesick alien

empire, you were right about the downbeat ending. my god i couldn't stop staring at the screen even as the credits rolled. the selfless move by the protagonist and resulting consequences will mirror the producers brave move in putting this film to screen. courageous but it wont pay off, well financially at least. LIKE NOTHING ELSE

Post #: 74
agree with nsm1 - 5/7/2008 11:36:12 AM   
philgood

this is a complete joke of a film, the effects are awful, the acting is awful, the ending is awful!!! What more can u say. I think the american were 'switched on!' in overlooking this film. Empire i used to go by all of your ratings, if i saw a 4star or 5star film i'd go and see it but recently your reviews have become a joke................... like this film!!!

Post #: 75
Low budget, High concept - 5/7/2008 6:02:58 PM   
Mooncalf

I can understand why some people dislike this movie - at first I thought it was going to be terrible, it does creak with budget constraints, it does feel like a TV movie in many ways and some of the CGI is a bit ropey - BUT get into the story and what is actually going on it's elevated way beyond what I expected to see in a movie about mist and monsters.

As someone who has been love with movies that present worlds full of creatures (Ever since 'Jason and the Argonauts') I think I'd have enjoyed this movie just for it's many and varied beasties, even if it had just been a supernatural siege in a supermarket - but the Romero type way in which the situation is used to make a powerful and timely point makes it so much more - and earns it it's 4 stars.

The difference between this and a movie like Indy 4 is that Indy had nothing behind it that made me want to forgive it's many weaknesses, but this has such a strong premise that I can totally forgive some sketchy characterisation and some slightly off cgi in places. Though on the CGI score nothing here was as bad as in Indy despite the much cheaper budget, and there is one truly incredible moment near the end which literally makes the SCALE of the problem clear and that really impressed me.

The ending will also divide people - and I'm glad that nobody has given it away here as I really didn't see it coming and the impact was very powerful - it worked for me and lent a resonance that again elevates the film. It will shock almost everybody, and will spoil the film for some on an emotional level - but I don't think it will annoy anybody to teeth spitting levels of WTF-ness; like the now infamous awful UFO ending to Indy ... OK, I'm sorry for all the Indy bitterness that's slipped into this I didn't plan that, I just can't forgive how bad that film was :)

Anyway - in short, accept that this movie might not look as good as some of the bigger budget movies you're going to see this summer, go in clean and open minded, forgive a little and you could get a lot back.

< Message edited by Mooncalf -- 5/7/2008 6:08:00 PM >

Post #: 76
RE: Low budget, High concept - 5/7/2008 7:48:28 PM   
kenada_woo

I finally got round to watching the film and overall....wasnt impressed  at all.  SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

First up - The film wasnt scary.  The 1st thing a horror film must do it provide a few scares at least.  Minus the pharmacy scene, every other so called "horror" scene was laboured and unimaginative, derivative from a host of other horror films but with added CGI beasts straight from Ivan Reitman's Evolution.  Even the Pharamacy scene that began great when the film was picking up after is slow and dis-interesting first hour just made me think Arachnophobia and even Eight Legged Freaks if I'm being honest.  But it didnt have the scare nor the fun or OTT nature of a great b-movie horror, which I thought could've been its saving grace after an hour in being its a surprsingly R-rated/15 horror film.  But even that, IMO, felt very forced.  The action scenes could've been bloodless, the swearing (especially Andre Braugher'r "cocksucker, motherfucker" line in the opening and felt out of place) toned down - the film felt like a TV-movie that just threw in some "adult" moments because it was past the watershed.

I tried to get into the movie.  I tried to figure out or see anything new or fresh with it characters that stepped it up from your generic horrors being its made by the man who did Shawshank Redeption.  I couldnt find them.  None of the characters stand out or are just staples of the genre you've seen times before - you have the dumbs guys doing dumb stuff and getting people in trouble, you have the good guys always making the right move, you know who's dying and who lives (till the end that is) - I was very disappointed with that aspect of the film, which I what I thought could've been its main saving grace if the gore/horror element wasnt working.  You also just dont care for anyone in the film.  All you get is Thomas Jane's son as a hook, but that is a very weak device in causing sympathy for a character when he's in peril.

And because of that, there's missed oppurtunity's abound.  When Norton (David's neighbour)  leaves the shopping centre and is killed, there's no character tension for the lead.  The whole religious aspect is itself a device for conflict but more so for every character rather than David's.  With what's been happening - death of people he might feel resposible for, his wife, making the right choices - none of them are brought up or utlised in a way that could make Jane's character interesting.  He takes charge (but what about the Army guys?  Saw that a mile away) but you never really get that feeling or conflict that maybe he's the wrong man, that he makes bad decisions.  They're maybe hinted at but never explored which is what I really expected.

But what did work well is Marica Gay Harden.  Probably the most horrible character I've seen in a long while.  Everytime she's on screen you want her dead, and that's the point.  After a very heavy handed "message in your face" scene involving the main cast regarding "humanity" and "socitey" (where everyone has their important line to say on the topic) the film begins to pick up (about 1hr and 20 in) and become interesting with the religious aspects come into play.  This adds alot to the film - when the people loose hope they go to faith, and whoever leads the faith has the power.  After an hour of going round and round with "she's talking shit" the film makes good on its promise and actually expands this.  But.....I've seen the Wicker Man, so while entertaining and well thought out, its been done before and better.  I'd even say Silent Hill (visually the same but that's only a coicidence) does a better job at this with its religious cults but keeps its originallity and scares.

Which is another main gripe.  Nothing feels new.  Yeah, you can say "nothing does" or "everything is ripped off something" which is true.  But what horror is good at and has been since the genre inseption is taking its conventions and flipping them or showing, improving something better than went before.  Dull horror films dont do this and drain any fun or imangination you can have with the genre, which something even your Dark Castle or Platinum Dunes films do nowdays no matter how poor the films are - they still have imagination and fun like most b-movies.  The Mist doesnt know what its doing.  Its not fun but its not serious all so because its made and acted in a low-budget b-movie way.  It tries undertones of themes but uses them heavy handedly.  So what does it do?  Depresses you.    

I'm all for dark endings but like with any film, a films has to earn its ending ( happy or dark).  Seven, perfect example - adds depth, is clever, takes the genre to somewhere its never been, adds morality, tension etc, all in its last 10 minutes.  The Mist with all its cod-gradiose posturing with its operatic score (for a film with a limited visual scope) you're led up to an ending that just didnt settle at all with me. 

The whole film is one note - hopelessness.  There is no sense of hope in the film, everything either dies, or is led astray to converted relgious freaks.  Then when one moment of hope arrives and the characters escape, what happens?  They all give up.  Why?  I know people will be like "I was shocked" or "They had balls to do that" but I dont buy it.  Its cheating and renders the film pointless because its meaningless.  A darker ending has to have meaning to be dark, a reason.  What does The Mist have?  They ran out of petrol so they die.  Its not interesting.  Like it or not but to me conflict about surviving, having hope the characters got so far, having them dig deep to push on - give me something to actually root for because I honestly dont care for any of these people.  But if you gave me something like a sense of hope, then yeah, I care for these people.  And to add insult to injury....David killed the survivors and his kid for no reason when the Army shows up and everythings fine!!!!  WFT?  I didnt give a shit about him killing them, and he did it for nothing is meant to make think "poor feller".  Not for me, just made me think -- The film doesnt know how to end itself.  Again I'll bring up Silent Hill - that ending is very dark in a sense, but has earned its right to be so because its has a sense of the characters fullfilling something.  They might not leave Silent Hill but they did all they could and helped put a stop to something.

Overall, very disappointed.  Not scary or fun or imaginative to be entertaining on a b-movie level (even though is made by the man who wrote films that excell in that genre with The Blob and Nightmare On Elm Street 3).  Or has anything new to say and fully explore its themes to raise the film above its schlock roots (even though its made by the man who made character pieces such as Shawshank Redeption and The Green Mile).  Not terrible but a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay way way away from being anything like "the best horror film in years" (never gets past go in the frights department to begin with).

***/*****

< Message edited by kenada_woo -- 23/7/2008 7:11:26 PM >

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to Mooncalf)
Post #: 77
I want my two hours back please!!! - 5/7/2008 9:41:52 PM   
redbenito

Four stars? Really? There must be some mistake. What a steaming pile of excrement this movie is. Appalling cgi, atrocious acting and an ending that made me wish i had my own gun loaded with 2 bullets - one for the TV and one for me!!! Avoid at all costs. Dreadful.

Post #: 78
RE: "Best horror movie in years." - 5/7/2008 10:27:34 PM   
Private Hudson

Again the anti-American sentiment is alive and well....

If any of you know anything about the type of person who goes to the movies in the US then you will know that in general terms they have a far younger audience, hence the continued success of Teen Comedies.

More kids at ages 16-18 can go into the Rs whereas our lot can't and have to wait, though in this case The Mist is a 15.

Anyway, the cinema is still a way of life for the Yanks and last year in the midwest it was only about $8 to get into a cinema. Over here you're talking £6.50 which is nearer $13!!!

I like the old happy endings too because I go to the movies to be entertained and honestly there is enough death and destruction on the news that I want my James Bonds or Indiana Joneses to save the world.

Oh and as for how it will end in Iraq or Afghanistan... can we not be optimistic for once? After all people in Baghdad were out in the parks enjoying the sunshine with their kids for the first time in decades. Surely that is something good?

I keep saying it, but Europe in general are very ungrateful to our American friends. Not only have they saved us from Fascists, Communism and are helping battling religious intolerance but they also gave us their culture which has really become the global culture... Big Macs, Nike trainers and Hollywood movies (and yes, independent movies).

But if I had to choose between going to see an independent with a dark ending or a Hollywood blockbuster that delivered, give me the $100 million popcorn movie anyday. Because I think it is harder to make good blockbusters than have a tight story with a dark ending.

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to Cameron1975Williams)
Post #: 79
RE: "Best horror movie in years." - 6/7/2008 12:06:32 AM   
Swoz_MK

Wow. What an ending! Wow, wow, wow!

(in reply to Private Hudson)
Post #: 80
GREAT - 6/7/2008 12:10:03 AM   
monodogg

GREAT is the only word i can describe this as. great acting and storytelling paper over some of special effects which are better than wot most films with a higher budget can produce. this pissed all over the Happening as a proper horror film, Well done to everyone involved

Post #: 81
RE: sweet jesus x2 - 6/7/2008 12:46:59 AM   
KnightofZyryab

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Between The Mist and REC we have two of the best horror movies of the last decade. An amazing film which gets the tone of Stephen King spot on with just the right mix of Lovecraft thrown in for good measure.

I bought the Region One DVD but will be going to the cinema to see it. Thats how good it is.

It easily ranks up there with the likes of The Thing and Night of the Living Dead.

5/5

Grrr. I wanted to see REC which was apparently a brilliant horror movie - my cinema didn't show it. I want to see The Mist but my cinema is not showing it.  

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 82
- 6/7/2008 12:50:37 AM   
sleepwalker

Awesome film, with a superb script and direction only slightly marred by a few wobbly monsters (apart from the leviathan at the end that was awesome) that reminded me of Evolution. The casting and quality of the actors has so far made this one of the best films of the year for me. Definately one of the better Sci-fi Horrors.

Post #: 83
RE: - 6/7/2008 1:10:13 AM   
igotnewlegs

Just finished watching it and I thought it was very good. Its refreshing to watch a film that you don't expect much from and leave feeling you've just seen a great movie. Its not brilliant but has that B-movie feel that made slither and others so watchable. The ending is bleak as many have pointed out but it still wasn't what I expected to happen. From a ceratin point of view its actually a happy ending.

And the reason forthe four stars? Empire review films in relation to films of the same genre or type so you can see why this got a score as high as it did. If you think of any other similar movies you won't find many better.

Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon.
Woody Allen

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Douglas Adams

(in reply to sleepwalker)
Post #: 84
RE: RE: - 6/7/2008 1:17:31 AM   
zombiemaster

Empire are right with this one. Its amazing. The acting was great and the preacher woman never wanted to punch a woman so hard in the face ever. Also the monster at the end and the ending. Brilliant film. But why is it not on that much at the cinema?

< Message edited by zombiemaster -- 6/7/2008 1:20:41 AM >

When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth

(in reply to igotnewlegs)
Post #: 85
RE: RE: - 6/7/2008 1:46:45 AM   
thepluginbaby

None of my local cinemas are showing this film so I just watched it on Sidereel. 

On the whole I thought it was a good horror, the best I've seen in a long time but the ending is a real kicker and it really threw me off.  I'd imagine if you go to watch it on the big screen with a couple of friends on a friday night you will probably come out silent and sort of overwhelmed.  The premise is simple and has been done before but Darabont makes it feel fresh with an array of bloodthirsty monsters and a subtleness that bleeds good cinema.  Thomas Jane, in particular put on a great performance, which made me forget The Punisher and Deep Blue Sea.

I find myself agreeing with Empire on many points.  I don't believe how the revelations quoting bible bitch manages to convert the entire supermarket towards human sacrifice but it is obvious that there is a lot of political subtext to be read.  The ending does do something really interesting with such Bush bating readings in that respect. 

If your a fan of King, you'll find a lot to like.  From the painting at the start, an obvious nod towards the Dark Tower to the characterisation and the adhereance to the original plot (although, yes, Darabont does kick you in the balls with the ending).  The obvious dabblings in portals to other worlds and the various creatures recogniseable from King's universe (although no lobstrosities?) do make me wet with excitement for The Dark Tower.  Whoever makes it, Darabont or J.J Abrams, if they adhere to the realism/fantasy of The Mist it will undoubtedly be great cinema.           

"I have come to the conclusion that my gut, has shit for brains."

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBePhair

(in reply to zombiemaster)
Post #: 86
RE: The Mist - 6/7/2008 11:34:50 AM   
elv1s

OMG!!!!! four stars!!!!! FOUR!!!! are you loosing the plot empire??? In fact I have to say something, my god I have been buying your mag since issue 1.. and have allways agreed (well most of the time) with your reviews but over the last few years, is it cause iam getting older 34 now?? or is cause you are reviewing for the younger viewer??? After buying the mist a few months back on R1 I couldnt wait to read your review, I wanted to see hoe you would tackle it, coming from Darabont and King I realy was expecting a great movie not this over rated pile of crap, I mean COME ON it was a bout 2 hours toooooo long the acting was awefull and the ending was lifted straight from an episode ot TZ.. EXPLAIN YOURSELF!!!!!!

Post #: 87
RE: The Mist - 6/7/2008 12:40:47 PM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: elv1s

OMG!!!!! four stars!!!!! FOUR!!!! are you loosing the plot empire??? In fact I have to say something, my god I have been buying your mag since issue 1.. and have allways agreed (well most of the time) with your reviews but over the last few years, is it cause iam getting older 34 now?? or is cause you are reviewing for the younger viewer??? After buying the mist a few months back on R1 I couldnt wait to read your review, I wanted to see hoe you would tackle it, coming from Darabont and King I realy was expecting a great movie not this over rated pile of crap, I mean COME ON it was a bout 2 hours toooooo long the acting was awefull and the ending was lifted straight from an episode ot TZ.. EXPLAIN YOURSELF!!!!!!

It's so wrong that a 34 year old man uses that many exclamation points and question marks. Where is your dignity, sir?

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to elv1s)
Post #: 88
RE: The Mist - 6/7/2008 12:56:26 PM   
Porrohman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert

quote:

It's so wrong that a 34 year old man uses that many exclamation points and question marks. Where is your dignity, sir?

OMG LOLZZZZ!!!! AM 36 N i dOn`t wright Lik that!!!!!!!!!!! Lmaooooooo

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 89
RE: The Mist - 6/7/2008 1:39:45 PM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Porrohman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert

quote:

OMG LOLZZZZ!!!! AM 36 N i dOn`t wright Lik that!!!!!!!!!!! Lmaooooooo

You, sir, are worse than Hitler!

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to Porrohman)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: sweet jesus x2 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI