Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Excellent Horror!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Excellent Horror! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Excellent Horror! - 30/6/2008 3:22:52 PM   
Icarus1

I've already seen this on Region 1 DVD as I couldn't wait for the UK release date to come. As soon as the film came I read it was out here 4th July! I'll definitely see this again at the cinema, is one of the best horrors I've seen in ages, only Frank Darabont should be allowed to adapt King's books! The pharmacy scene is one the scariest things I've seen and even though the effect's aren't the best, Darabont uses the budget very well and creates brilliant tension. Tom Jane, Marcia Gay Harden and Andre Braugher are also excellent as are all the rest of the cast. See this on Friday!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
Mist-tastic - 30/6/2008 4:21:48 PM   
mickyc

I saw this just before xmas in the states, and it totally blew me away great story and effects and an ending that was wow, i kept on saying it was the best film i saw last year.
Cant wait to see it again over here.

Post #: 32
RE: Mist-tastic - 30/6/2008 5:01:03 PM   
pete c

Truly brilliant film, please go and see it, you won't be dissapointed.

(in reply to mickyc)
Post #: 33
How horror movies should be. - 30/6/2008 5:36:25 PM   
VincentHanna

I loved the short story that this is taken from, so I approached it with some trepidation.
There was nothing to worry about - very good, with a different ending to the book (I won't go into either ending here.)
Makers of I Am Legend take note - films can have a downbeat ending and still work well.

Post #: 34
- 30/6/2008 7:34:04 PM   
cluesy

This is an exceptional horror film filled with lots of suspense and a clever niche with the religious nut. I saw this a few weeks ago with my friend and we both enjoyed it. Funnily, enough, it parallels quite well with Cloverfield in many ways having a confined view and an unknown monster(s); it's just a shame that it's taken so long to come out over here...

Post #: 35
Pants still stained... - 30/6/2008 11:01:45 PM   
Crusoe

Great show, watched it online a few months ago. I still glance nervously about during foggy or misty days. Not since the Thing have I been as freaked out. Big screen? Bring it on, I have the adult nappies in the mail....

Post #: 36
- 30/6/2008 11:46:20 PM   
abyssal

3 star B-movie, lifted to 4 stars by that genuinely powerful and emotional ending, which almost seemed to belong to a different ( and better ) film.

Post #: 37
sweet jesus - 1/7/2008 12:28:06 AM   
puggled

Did I see the same movie? It's pish. I wanted to kill him by the end, speaking of which does that count as the most predictable crock you've ever seen. I hope everyone else sees a 4 star movie and I',m the minority so they don't waste their money but I really don't see it happening.

Post #: 38
RE: The Mist - 1/7/2008 2:55:04 AM   
Bickle

I thought this was excellent. I've been meaning to see it for months and it doesn't disappoint. I was surprised by Thomas Jane, I thought he did a fantastic job and the supporting cast were all great. 4/5

Post #: 39
Very good film - 1/7/2008 9:13:28 AM   
D-ToX

I thought this was a really well made film with excellent characters.

I think Stephen King has written a lot more decent books that the corresponding films give him credit for. One of the key elements of a King story is good character development. With the sometimes very far out stories that he wants us to believe in, would never be anywhere close to good if you didn't feel for the characters.
I think this is the difference between a good King film and a bad one and Frank Darabont knows this and this comes across in The Mist, Shawshank and the Green Mile but developing the characters in a script and the direction is only part of the parcel the actors have to chip in as well and the majority do a good job in The Mist. Although the Marcia Gay Harden and Thomas Jayne get the plaudits I think a special mention should go to Toby Jones who plays Ollie, one of the store clerks, this could easily have been an annoying weak character but he really brought this one to life and turned out to be very against type.

I have got the DVD and plan to watch this again soon as it has the Black and White version on it, I think this make it even better and improve some of the special effects.

Overall I would really recommend this movie and its not too scary to bring your over half too as my wife would agree.

Post #: 40
- 1/7/2008 12:21:01 PM   
rayhiggins

Saw this one Region 1 DVD yesterday, and it was the best importing decision I ever made. It's possibly the finest American-made horror film for the better part of a decade. The only reason I'm not giving it five stars is because of the acting from one of the principals in the final few minutes. It kind of jarred against all their previous good work in the film. Regardless, a highly recommended film. Really, why doesn't Darabont get more credit, both as a writer and a director?

Post #: 41
Brilliant Movie - 1/7/2008 2:14:15 PM   
LuckyJack

I saw this when i was on holiday in canada at easter and absoutely loved it. It was so refreshing to see a horror movie that went for things that were actually scary rather than cheap shocks. It seemed so well thought out, there was no corner cutting of trying to 'fit in as many mutilations as possiblebefore we hit 90 minutes' here, but genuine scares. And as Tom says in the review, what's scaryer is whats on the inside of the store! And thats the true brilliance of this film i think, after the ending (and what an ending!) you'll be disturbed not by the spider monsters or vulture things, but by how awful people are. And not boogeymen type people (See Saw,Hostel etc for examples of that) but real, so-called normal people, people that are your neighbours and friends.
Oh yeah, the ending. Darabont proving once and for all that what you don't see is always worse than what you do. Be Prepared.

Post #: 42
RE: How horror movies should be. - 1/7/2008 4:48:28 PM   
punchdrunk

quote:

ORIGINAL: VincentHanna
Makers of I Am Legend take note - films can have a downbeat ending and still work well.

You had to bring up Legend! This film managed to achieve far more on a tiny budget, compared to the bloated beast that I am Legend revealed itself to be, strange how a single store represented the country better than a deserted city could, even if you've never been to newyork you could identify with the idea that "what if" you were trapped with people you believed were your normal nieghbours "It took them two days to turn on eachother" down my street they'd do that when they ran out of beer ;)

(in reply to VincentHanna)
Post #: 43
Read my review here! - 1/7/2008 5:00:45 PM   
spikemonkey3000

I saw this on R1 and I loved it! Full review here: http://ihatehowfakehollywoodis.blogspot.com/2008/06/mist-review.html

Thanks for anyone that reads/comments. Go and see it! It's great.

Post #: 44
Brilliant - 1/7/2008 5:31:14 PM   
damn im good!

A superb film with exceptional performances. More than just a horror, but an excellent character study as well that brings depth and levels of humanity to an otherwise bleak and opressing vision.

My other half on teh other hand hated one key moment and a week latere still can;t decide if it ruined the film for her or not.

Post #: 45
RE: Brilliant - 1/7/2008 6:36:39 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

Really wanna see this, but the nearby cinemas are showing it only at really late times I can't get to.... but hopefully I'll twig something

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to damn im good!)
Post #: 46
RE: Brilliant - 1/7/2008 6:39:35 PM   
Stewie_Griffin

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Rob C: Mark II!

Really wanna see this, but the nearby cinemas are showing it only at really late times I can't get to.... but hopefully I'll twig something

It's only playing at midnights at my local too. Of course we need those extra screens for Hancock and Kung-Fu Panda.

Welcome to Sesame Street, kids. Today's word is "Expiation"

(in reply to DJ Rob C: Mark II!)
Post #: 47
RE: Brilliant - 1/7/2008 8:33:36 PM   
4aces

quote:

A superb film with exceptional performances. More than just a horror, but an excellent character study as well that brings depth and levels of humanity to an otherwise bleak and opressing vision.

Amen sistah!! Amen. I couldn't have said it better I totally loved every minute of it.

< Message edited by 4aces -- 1/7/2008 8:34:14 PM >

(in reply to damn im good!)
Post #: 48
sweet jesus x2 - 1/7/2008 8:39:20 PM   
Mark_b

What is happening to the empire review system? This was a terrible movie, the acting was shocking and the plot was poor. Just looking through the recent reviews, ironman and the new hulk were much better than these on every level and only got 3/5. How did street kings achieve 3/5? I had to turn that off 30 mins in! Sort it out empire!!

Post #: 49
sweet jesus x2 - 1/7/2008 8:39:22 PM   
Mark_b

What is happening to the empire review system? This was a terrible movie, the acting was shocking and the plot was poor. Just looking through the recent reviews, ironman and the new hulk were much better than these on every level and only got 3/5. How did street kings achieve 3/5? I had to turn that off 30 mins in! Sort it out empire!!

Post #: 50
finally its out, months after I bought it on region one... - 1/7/2008 9:38:51 PM   
genejoke

Still it is great movie. well acted and filmed, empire got the review spot on. Anyone who disagree's is welcome to thier opinion but I would advise everyone to ignore them and give it a go. You never know what you are missing.

Post #: 51
RE: sweet jesus x2 - 1/7/2008 9:52:49 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark_b

How did street kings achieve 3/5? I had to turn that off 30 mins in! Sort it out empire!!

Though there's nothing new in Street Kings its a solid film. 

(in reply to Mark_b)
Post #: 52
CRAPPPPPPEST FILM EVER - 1/7/2008 10:23:34 PM   
duge_buwembo

I cannot believe this film got 4 out of 5 this is CRIMINAL, CRIMINAL this movie is awful!!!!! JUST AWWWWFULL, The acting was terrible. The delivery was ludicrous. the premise seemed good A mysterious mist full of deadly trans-dimensional creatures creeps over a town. But it was so poorly delivered some scenes are so bad I would expect this quality from some washed up B-movie on cable. That is HOW AMATURE some parts of this movie are. This must be some kind of conspiracy how could empire give this a 4 yet Speed racer got a 3 out of 5 same goes with I am legend I am very disappointed with empire on this one. Who paid you off on this !!! DISGUSTING.

Post #: 53
not another... - 1/7/2008 11:33:40 PM   
Michael Armstrong

It's got a star because it got made - well done on making it through to the finish everyone involved. But the real reason for writing this has to be due to the down turn in the reviews. I'm sorry Empire but I can't say that I've paid that much attention-but have you taken on some new starters recently? Only your reviews have been rubbish! This, Indy what's happened? You don't need to provoke a debate just watch the movie and write it down-simple!

Post #: 54
RE: The Mist - 2/7/2008 12:58:38 AM   
Cruisecontroller

Overall this creepy movie about a mist containing monsters that mysteriously invades a small Maine town and ends up revealing the inner monsters of some of its holed up residents in a supermarket is a good movie. It manages to exceed on a psychological level as well as a visual one in creeping you out as to what levels of despiration people will succumb too when things get desperate. Marcia Gay Hayden (I think thats her name) is especially good as the fantical bible bashing resident who goes completley off the rails in her belief that the end of days has come and its time to decide who`s worthy to live or not. The effects are okay to good and it certainly has one of the grimest endings I`ve seen in a movie for sometime when I saw it last month on Region 1 dvd. Feel good is the last thing you will be feeling after this unless your very twisted.

To say I enjoyed it given how grim things get just seems wrong to me I instead was reasonably gripped by it and am glad we are finally getting to see it on the big screen at last in the UK. It certainly is worth seeing the only thing I found hard to beleive was how quickly a large section of the trapped community converted to Marcia`s characters extreme teaching. I suppose you could say that after the trapped residents experence what they do then in desperation they probably will accept her extreme teachings too but when they nearly throw out a kid whose with the more rational section of the trapped residents to the monsters outside it just seemned a bit too extreme for me.

If you enjoyed the recent Midnight episode of Doctor Who where the Doctor and the passengers of a space flight get trapped on board by a demon who`s possessed a passenger your probably like this. That episode reminded me of the movie when the residents start to turn on each other in desperation even prepared to kill others to survive if there persuaded its the only way. A cult classic but not quite the masterpiece some say it is. I give it 4/5.

< Message edited by Cruisecontroller -- 2/7/2008 1:04:13 AM >

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

Post #: 55
Some of you have "Mist" the point! ALong with... - 2/7/2008 3:30:41 AM   
nortonglr

I loved this film and cannot understand why a few people have a total downer on it. Its supposed to be have a "B" movie concept. However, the production, FX, and cast raise it well above that- a masterstroke by Darabont. If it were Tarantino doing this, people would be kissing his backside again.
I can understand the complaints about Indiana Jones and the 4 star review-no one I know liked it at all. This movie is its own and is far better. Do go and see it, its a really good film.

Post #: 56
RE: sweet jesus x2 - 2/7/2008 8:33:55 AM   
broonie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark_b

I know its your opinion and you are perfectly entitled to it, but how can you give it any sort of reveiw if you turned off after 30 minutes?

Do you want to run this ship?
Yes!
Well,...you cant!

(in reply to Mark_b)
Post #: 57
Brilliant. - 2/7/2008 9:03:11 AM   
rayygun

What a great movie, i loved it.
Fans of Escape From New York, The Warriors et al, this is a throw back to those heady days. Great cast, brilliant soundtrack (Dead Can Dance anyone?)

Post #: 58
Top notch horror - 2/7/2008 10:20:00 AM   
Jayofeen

A great horror movie but scarier for the monsters inside the store than for the monsters outside. The ending is the most frightening thing I've seen in years.

Post #: 59
Yet another bad call from Empire - 2/7/2008 3:47:46 PM   
spike1000

Avoid

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Excellent Horror! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI