Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Dark Tower by Steven King

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Dark Tower by Steven King Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Dark Tower by Steven King - 28/6/2008 12:15:53 PM   
HIM

Two of my friends at work have been reading this series - one has read them all and the other is on book five - so last weekend while I was bored in the Trafford Centre I decided I'd get on board too and bought the first book, The Gunslinger. I'm about a third of the way through at the moment and I think it's pretty good. I must admit that it did start off rather slowly and I wasn't exactly sure what was going on. At first glance it seems that this is set during the 1800's in the American wild west, but then there's mention of the song 'Hey Jude'. So I thought it might be set in some dystopian future Earth. Then we meet this kid who describes a modern day Manhatten. So I'm thinking it's kind of like His Dark Materials, with respect to interweaving universes. Each one different but also familiar. The plot really seems to be picking up now so I took the plunge and bought books 2 - 4 from WH Smith, who are doing a wonderful offer at the moment which is 3 for 2 on all books.

So, has anyone else read these books and if so, do you agree with Steven King that these are his magnum opus? Also, although I'm not even half way through the first book feel free to freely discuss events in any of the books but obviously be mindful of spoilers. If you are discussing spoilerific events be careful to start your post with a big spoiler warning and state which book your spoilers are regarding. I'll no doubt be re-reading this thread once I've finished the series so any input would be greatly appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: The Dark Tower by Steven King - 28/6/2008 12:16:54 PM   
HIM

Bollocks!!! I've only gone and posted this in the wrong bloody forum! Mods, can you be so kind as to shift this to Bookworms please. 

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 2
RE: The Dark Tower by Steven King - 28/6/2008 2:33:31 PM   
FlangeBags

Dammit - when I saw the thread title I thought there was news of a Dark Tower game!
I was all excited for a moment.
Bloody good books though

My homepage - http://allendonnelly.squarespace.com/

My debut novel, BUY IT (please)! - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crystal-Eyes-ebook/dp/B005ZJ56GY

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 3
RE: The Dark Tower by Steven King - 28/6/2008 5:07:12 PM   
Pinkvelvet

I read the first one and was bored senseless although I love the majority of his other stuff.  I had even bought the first 5 in this series after reading somany reviews but can't find the enthusiasm to pick up the next one.  Disappointing I thought.

(in reply to FlangeBags)
Post #: 4
RE: The Dark Tower by Steven King - 1/7/2008 1:18:00 AM   
chrismart83

I loved the first 4 books, not so much the last 3. But overall its a very good series. Roland is one of my fav Stephen King characters. There is also some other King novels which tie into The Dark Tower. Make sure to read them if you can.

''You'll Never Walk Alone''

(in reply to Pinkvelvet)
Post #: 5
RE: The Dark Tower by Steven King - 2/7/2008 1:19:39 PM   
vader100

Excellent series. Way better than His Dark Materials.

You can't take the sky from me

(in reply to chrismart83)
Post #: 6
RE: The Dark Tower by Steven King - 2/7/2008 1:29:23 PM   
chewbacasnapsak

Him, please perservere with it, the first book is a tough read, especially the first draft (King has since rewritten it to make more fan friendly), Drawing of the Three is one of Kings best books.

The entire series has its ups and downs but each book has some fantastic moments.

You also have the opportunity to read them all one after another, I spent twenty years from picking up Gunslinger in 1985 and finishing The Dark Tower sometime in 2007.

"who'd pay a million dollars to have me killed"
"jealous husbands, outraged chefs, humiliated tailors...the list is endless"

(in reply to vader100)
Post #: 7
RE: The Dark Tower by Steven King - 2/7/2008 2:12:13 PM   
Beats

I really enjoyed this series, it really is well worth persevering with it. I’m not a massive fan of King so I’m not sure if this represents his magnum opus but it is a cracking good read. My favourite is Wizard and Glass, where Roland tells the tale of how and why he is on his quest. I got so interested in that aspect of Roland's story I almost didn’t want to go back to the rest of the series.

But thankfully Marvel have produced a Dark Tower comic that continues the back story, so if your do start to get stuck in there is more to discover….enjoy

"They run off eckeltricity, do they?"
"Ah yes, I can see the plugs. I collect plugs"

(in reply to chewbacasnapsak)
Post #: 8
RE: The Dark Tower by Steven King - 2/7/2008 3:53:58 PM   
danieljameswest

I recently finished reading this series, and can't recommend it enough.

The first book is the weakest, but King wrote it when he was 19.

That said, the second, The Drawing of the Three was my favourite, as the doors on the beach opened up a whole world of possibilities for the series. Song for Suzzanah comes in a close second - it's short length makes for an exhilerating fast paced story.

(Regarding the revised edition of The Gunslinger: I remember a scene early on when a barmaid idly draws the number 19 with some spilled liquid on the bar. I'm guessing this was added in the revised edition, and not in the original.)

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling, There are rules."

(in reply to Beats)
Post #: 9
RE: The Dark Tower by Steven King - 18/7/2008 10:59:18 AM   
mejaars

I still have to finish the series with the last book, but I was hooked immediately when I read the Gunslinger ages ago. It has a similar feel as the Otherworld series of Tad Williams but it goes much deeper, much darker and the references to some of King's other books are a nice touch. One of the best series around!

- Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong -

(in reply to danieljameswest)
Post #: 10
RE: The Dark Tower by Steven King - 13/8/2008 10:08:36 AM   
grucl

All in all a good story but some of the books (especially “Wolves” and “Tower”) could have been shorter.

(in reply to mejaars)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Dark Tower by Steven King Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI