Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

My Top 100 TV

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> My Top 100 TV Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
My Top 100 TV - 26/6/2008 2:10:50 PM  1 votes
rawlinson

I noticed a few people have done tv lists, so I decided to put together one of my own. I decided to not include anything that was a one-off or a t.v. film (so no Trilogy Of Terror, Mike Leigh, Ghost Watch, Dennis Potter single plays). To make the list the show had to have been at least a mini-series. Before I start listing the 100, here's the final 10 that didn't make the list.

Mr. Pye 1986

Edge Of Darkness 1985

Marion And Geoff 2000 - 2003
Beavis And Butt-head 1993 - 1997

My Name Is Earl 2005 - ???

The Day Today 1994
Veronica Mars 2004 - 2007
The Wire 2002 - 2008

The Shield 2002 - ???
Dr Terrible's House Of Horrible 2001

I should say that The Wire would probably have made the final 100 if I'd seen more episodes of it than I have.
Post #: 1
RE: My Top 100 TV - 26/6/2008 2:22:41 PM   
elab49

So - The WIre and Edge of Darkness, 2 of the greatest things ever seen on TV aren't on the list of 100 shows. Interesting start.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2
RE: My Top 100 TV - 26/6/2008 2:30:42 PM   
rawlinson

Dead Head

Year: 1986

POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD

A controversial, four episode, thriller series from the BBC. Denis Lawson plays a small-time criminal, given a mysterious box containing a severed head. This leads to him being framed for a series of prostitute murders by the secret service and going on the run. The show was in some ways a homage to classic film noirs and conspiracy thrillers, with some explicit sex thrown in. Excellent performances from the cast that includes Lindsay Duncan and Simon Callow with Lawson giving a career-best performance. The show should have a huge cult following, but due to the fact that the BBC have never repeated the series (it didn't get shown again in the UK until Sky Arts played it last year)  it seems to have become a bit of a forgotten gem. If you can get a chance to see it, it's a complex and engaging series.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 3
RE: My Top 100 TV - 26/6/2008 2:33:20 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

So - The WIre and Edge of Darkness, 2 of the greatest things ever seen on TV aren't on the list of 100 shows. Interesting start.

As I say, I just haven't seen enough of The Wire to justify it. The episodes I've seen are great, but it could have a massive drop in quality somewhere along the line (same reason why I couldn't include Veronica Mars). As for Edge Of Darkness, that was the very last show I cut, and I did it solely because I haven't seen it in a few years and my memory of it is a little too uncertain.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4
RE: My Top 100 TV - 26/6/2008 2:47:08 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Starting with Dead Head, this could be a real interesting list. 

I didn't know it had ever been repeated, so as you can imagine its a good few years since I saw it and its full frontal nudity, which was quite something on the BBC in those days.  My memory of the series is that it tried harder at breaking taboos than it did to be a solid show and as a homage to noir or conspiracy thriller would be quite some distance behind The Singing Detective (which I guess could still be in the list as its a series rather than a Pennies From Heaven-line one-off Potter). 

Having come off the Kit Curran Radio Show (crikies I'm showing my age now) its probably not too hard for this to be Dennis Lawson's career best.  Just thought I'd wedge that in there

And cos this is a long list shuffle things around a bit and watch more of The Wire cos you've time and the standard does not drop, so you'll probably need a space in your top dozen at least

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 5
RE: My Top 100 TV - 26/6/2008 2:48:07 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson
As I say, I just haven't seen enough of The Wire to justify it. The episodes I've seen are great, but it could have a massive drop in quality somewhere along the line As for Edge Of Darkness, that was the very last show I cut, and I did it solely because I haven't seen it in a few years and my memory of it is a little too uncertain.

Reasonable reasons - but I think you'll find - thankfully - The Wire stays the greatest thing on TV till the end. Wonderful thing to look forward to.

For Dead Head - I had fond memories from the original run but those were roundly kicked in the teeth when I rewatched on Sky Arts. Tried to hard to be Potter and failed - I almost wish I hadn't seen it again so it stayed better in my memory. I'm pretty sure they are supposed to be showing it again soon if anyone else wants a go (although they are currently reshowing Slings and Arrows and that is worth far more of your time).

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 6
RE: My Top 100 TV - 26/6/2008 2:53:34 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

Having come off the Kit Curran Radio Show (

Grief - another blast from the past!

quote:

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 7
RE: My Top 100 TV - 26/6/2008 2:59:06 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

quote:

Having come off the Kit Curran Radio Show

Grief - another blast from the past!

Oh fine, pick on my grey hairs why don't you.  But pass over the wonderful pun I threw in there. 

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 8
RE: My Top 100 TV - 26/6/2008 3:07:00 PM   
elab49

Beautifully inserted, acknowledged,  but I now try to avoid all memories of the entire damn series!

And you weren't the only one that saw Kit Curran.....

quote:

Post #: 9
RE: My Top 100 TV - 27/6/2008 2:32:34 AM   
rawlinson

99. Rich Hall's Fishing Show

Year: 2003

Another overlooked gem, Rich Hall's Fishing Show was never going to reach a huge mainstream audience, but it deserved much better treatment than it's got so far. Each episode saw comedians Rich Hall and Mike Wilmot go fishing on a Scottish loch in order to discuss the theme of the week. The show focused on the duologues between the two on subjects ranging from freedom to love to the Olympics.   The show sometimes involves other characters (usually played by Hall) such as a decapitated head and Charles Manson and each episode an annoying B-list celeb would be taken on a Corleone inspired fishing trip. It's a difficult show to convince people to watch, two comedians sitting on a boat talking nonsense, if you're on Hall's wavelength then you'll love his wry outlook. If you're not then you're going to be bored senseless. Hall and Wilmot teamed up again in 2006 for Rich Hall's Cattle Drive, an entertaining show, but one that suffered because the plot took over the dialogue.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 10
RE: My Top 100 TV - 27/6/2008 2:36:21 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

My memory of the series is that it tried harder at breaking taboos than it did to be a solid show and as a homage to noir or conspiracy thriller would be quite some distance behind The Singing Detective (which I guess could still be in the list as its a series rather than a Pennies From Heaven-line one-off Potter). 

I can see the point about the taboo breaking aspect. I didn't see it first time around so the more explicit aspects seem tamer in contrast to some of the other things that have turned up on tv. It was the plot and the characters that I loved, although I agree, it's nowhere near the level of Potter's finest work (Which gives away the fact that there'll be more than one Potter series in the list).

Post #: 11
RE: My Top 100 TV - 27/6/2008 2:37:57 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

Reasonable reasons - but I think you'll find - thankfully - The Wire stays the greatest thing on TV till the end. Wonderful thing to look forward to.

The Wire box sets seem reasonable on Amazon at the moment, I might splash out on one or two. I've heard nothing but good about it, enjoyed the episodes I've seen and I'm excited about the Homicide connection.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 12
RE: My Top 100 TV - 27/6/2008 10:14:07 AM   
elab49

Never seen number 99 but it has Rich Hall so no doubt brilliant. I think I saw Cattle Drive though. His documentary on westerns was excellent.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 13
RE: My Top 100 TV - 28/6/2008 1:40:24 AM   
rawlinson

98. If You See God, Tell Him

Year: 1993

POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD

David Renwick and Andrew Marshall created this incredibly dark comedy in the early 90s. Strangely, considering their reputations as writers, it didn't get a single repeat until BBC4 played the first episode during David Renwick night a few months ago. Happily it's soon to get a dvd release so we can all enjoy its twisted genius once again.

The show itself was a savage attack on the advertising industry. Richard Briers played Godfrey Spry, a pensioner who suffers a head injury that leaves him with no short term memory. He spends his time watching television commercials and believing everything they say. Within the first 15 minutes of the opening episode, his new found faith in advertising has led to him being paralysed (while test driving a car at top speed along a cliff at sunset) and to his wife being killed by rioting football hooligans. All of this leads to Godfrey moving in with his nephew and his wife, played by Ade Edmondson (In a role you could almost imagine to be a young Victor Meldrew) and future Oscar nominee Imelda Staunton.  In the course of the (all too short) series, Godfrey manages to drive a neighbour to suicide, become a modern day Fagin, and... well, I won't give away the astounding final episode. Just get a copy and watch it.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 14
RE: My Top 100 TV - 28/6/2008 10:56:41 AM   
elab49

I don't remember being overly impressed by this - Briers was amazing but I don't think Edmondson really caught the tone (and I don't think the writing was as taut as it could have been). But, it is good to hear there is a DVD coming out since this is working from memory and it sounds as if it is certainly due a rewatch.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 15
RE: My Top 100 TV - 28/6/2008 2:36:44 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

I don't remember being overly impressed by this - Briers was amazing but I don't think Edmondson really caught the tone (and I don't think the writing was as taut as it could have been). But, it is good to hear there is a DVD coming out since this is working from memory and it sounds as if it is certainly due a rewatch.

I know what you mean about Ade, I got a copy of the show about two years ago and for the first episode I had similar feelings. But I grew to like the character a lot over the series. My own thoughts are that the role is so far removed from what you usually expect from him that it's a little difficult to accept him playing it at first. The dvd is due late July (21st I think).

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 16
RE: My Top 100 TV - 5/7/2008 1:33:04 AM   
rawlinson

97. The Boondocks

Year: 2005

I'll get it out of the way first, the tv series is not as good as the original cartoon strip. As great as the show is, it lost a little something when it was brought to tv. That being said, it's still the best American animated comedy since Invader Zim. The show focuses on the Freeman family, an African-American Grandfather and his two Grandsons, Riley and Huey, who move from the city to the suburbs. Huey is an intellectual, someone longing for a return to the days of black activism. While Riley is a wannabe gangster, obsessed with rappers and movie gangsters. The show takes on various aspects of modern culture, filtered through the eyes of the family. Through the two seasons so far the show has focused on the R Kelly trial, rap shootings, reality tv, etc. One notorious episode focused on the idea of Martin Luther King not being killed in the 60s (instead slipping into a 30 year long coma) when he wakes up he finds himself disgusted with much of modern African-American culture. The show has courted controversy in America (mostly for the use of a certain word beginning with N) but the attacks from the likes of Al Sharpton seem rather idiotic. Show creator Aaron McGruder is a young black liberal who sides with the ideas of progressive thinking. The attacks in the show focus on the kind of things he feels are holding back modern black culture, the idea that the show is being disrespectful to the memories of Martin Luther King or Rosa Parks is lunacy.The Simpsons and South Park have both lost their way, Family Guy has been a travesty since it returned a few series back, but The Boondocks (along with the likes of Aqua Teen Hunger Force) is still flying the flag for great American animated comedy.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 17
RE: My Top 100 TV - 5/7/2008 1:08:49 PM   
elab49

This really is shaping up to be a fascinating list - I just hope all the episodic crap isn't being saved for the top of the list!

Not seen or heard of this but am now trying to, um, 'acquire' the first couple to look at.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 18
RE: My Top 100 TV - 7/7/2008 3:58:20 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

This really is shaping up to be a fascinating list - I just hope all the episodic crap isn't being saved for the top of the list!

Not seen or heard of this but am now trying to, um, 'acquire' the first couple to look at.

Try and see The Story Of Gangstalicious or The Trial Of R. Kelly if you can. Superb episodes.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 19
RE: My Top 100 TV - 7/7/2008 4:02:27 AM   
rawlinson

96. Children Of The Stones

Year: 1976

Often described as being 'The Wicker Man for children', Children Of The Stones doesn't quite live up to that level of greatness. It is however one of the most complex, startling and intelligent shows created for children in television history. A show that probably could only have been created in the 70s, along with other notable children's classics like The Changes, Sky, or Shadows.

A scientist (Played by a pre-Blake's 7 Gareth Thomas) and his young son arrive in a small village, built in the middle of a Stonehenge like circle. The stones seem to hold an ancient and magical power. The village is stuck in time and the villagers all seem to be part of a strange cult, controlled and manipulated by the mysterious Mr. Hendrick (Played by another cult actor, Iain Cuthbertson).  The influence of British horror extends beyond The Wicker Man, calling to mind the works of the great telefantasy writer Nigel Kneale (Especially something like The Witches) and Village Of The Damned. All in all, a creepy and at time downright scary series. The kind of thing they should be making for kids today.

< Message edited by rawlinson -- 7/7/2008 4:03:02 AM >

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 20
RE: My Top 100 TV - 7/7/2008 8:28:07 AM   
elab49

Aaah - now you're talking. Loved this show when I saw it and it hadn't dated a bit when it finally came out on video. A direct influence for Russell T Davies's earlier kids TV stuff and the only decent thing on TV at the time for kids -  and for years after. It is the first kids show I really remember watching.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 21
RE: My Top 100 TV - 7/7/2008 9:47:45 AM   
Professor Moriarty

You know I really thought I'd watched a good bit of TV until I came to this thread. 

This really is the most fascinating and intriguing list rawlinson.  I just hope that we don't see Big Brother or Emmerdale Farm appearing on it soon.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 22
RE: My Top 100 TV - 7/7/2008 10:54:05 AM   
DaveNewman18

How dare you Professor, Emmerdale and Big Brother are flagship classics!

Or not, can't stand either- and Big Brother this year- I haven't watched ten seconds of it thankfully.

Twitter: @davenewmanexp
Follow me if you dare ;)

Post #: 23
RE: My Top 100 TV - 7/7/2008 11:02:22 AM   
homersimpson_esq

I'm four for four - not heard of any of these so far!

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to DaveNewman18)
Post #: 24
RE: My Top 100 TV - 7/7/2008 1:12:41 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Ditto!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 25
RE: My Top 100 TV - 8/7/2008 1:20:00 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

the only decent thing on TV at the time for kids -  and for years after.

You didn't like The Changes or Shadows? I know they were on at roughly the same time as Children Of The Stones.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 26
RE: My Top 100 TV - 8/7/2008 1:20:45 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

This really is the most fascinating and intriguing list rawlinson.  I just hope that we don't see Big Brother or Emmerdale Farm appearing on it soon.

Not until we reach the top 30 anyway.  Just kidding

Post #: 27
RE: My Top 100 TV - 8/7/2008 1:21:25 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Ditto!

I think you should both know the next entry. The most famous one so far.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 28
RE: My Top 100 TV - 8/7/2008 1:26:46 AM   
rawlinson

95. The Fast Show

Year: 1994

A superb sketch-show, created by Paul Whitehouse and Charlie Higson, The Fast Show's legacy seems to have become unfairly reduced to being a show that relied solely on catchphrases. To be fair, some of the characters do fall into that trap (Arabella Weir's 'Does my bum look big in this?' character leaps to mind). But that's neglecting the fact that the joy of the show came from how well developed the characters actually are.

A combination of great acting and writing meant that the characters (for the most part) did develop beyond 'suits you sir' and 'Brilliant!' Characters like Ted And Ralph, Rowley Birkin and Colin Hunt were far more than the one-dimensional jokes that you'd expect in a lesser sketch show (Little Britain, I'm looking in your direction) And most of the characters had a great deal of pathos about them. Most people focus on Ted And Ralph for the more tragic elements, rightly so. They're two of the greatest television characters of the 1990s.  But this tends to neglect some of the other greats. Think about the famous Rowley Birkin sketch where, drunk as usual, he tells a story about the loss of the woman he loved. Even though most of his lines are still unintelligible, the sense of tragedy and regret in that scene are palpable. Think of the Colin Hunt sketch where he reveals himself to be a bitter and two-faced little runt, willing to sacrifice his only friend. Or the Unlucky Alf sketch where he discovers his entire neighbourhood hates him. There's a dark and sorrowful element to this series that subverts the catchphrases and familiarity. The show would be much higher on my list if it wasn't for Caroline Aherne's appearances.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 29
RE: My Top 100 TV - 8/7/2008 3:51:35 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Indeed, I do know that one! I never liked it though, the bits I saw anyway.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> My Top 100 TV Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI