Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Empire Book Club - Discussion Threads Started!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Empire Book Club - Discussion Threads Started! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Empire Book Club - Discussion Threads Started! - 22/6/2008 12:20:16 PM   
homersimpson_esq

So, reading through the lists of books people want to read on the "to read" thread, got me thinking that there are a lot of really good books out there. Books are easier to get hold of than DVDs, what with libraries and so forth, so why not have a Book Club?

A few things to consider:

1) How long should each reading period last?
I reckon a fortnight or maybe a week should be a good length for most people.
2) How long should each discussion period last?
I reckon maybe a week.

I also think that maybe it would be nice to alternate between "classics" and newer fare, to give some variety. People can join in with the ones they want to and leave the ones they don't.

I'll leave this till next Sunday for discussion of options and for people to nominate books they'd like to read as part of this Book Club. Even if you've already read a particular book, then you can choose to re-read it, or join in the discussion anyway. The idea is that at the end of the alloted reading period we have a book to discuss and for that week anyone who has read it can discuss it.

Some suggestions to start us off:

For the "classics" half:

Catcher in the Rye - J.D.Salinger
East of Eden - John Steinbeck
A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
Ulysses - James Joyce (think this one might need the full fortnight...)

For the modern half:

Children of Men - P.D. James
The Big Nowhere - James Ellroy
Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy
Trainspotting - Irvine Welsh

So what do people think? Fool's errand, or potentially intriguing? If we have other suggestions, and then if we narrow them down to a few, so that by next Sunday we might have a book to start reading. Depends how popular an idea this will be.

< Message edited by homersimpson_esq -- 26/9/2009 2:33:59 PM >

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.
Post #: 1
RE: The Empire Book Club - 22/6/2008 12:40:23 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

Put me down for this Homer. I have a lot of free time on my hands for the next few weeks and I'm always up for talking about books.

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 2
RE: The Empire Book Club - 22/6/2008 1:10:39 PM   
JV

I am interested in this, however I think the reading period should be a month. I am in a reading group, we meet on a monthly basis, and I find that an adequate period of time. Sometimes I zip through books in a matter of hours, but sometimes it takes a while, and if I am reading something else already it depends on how long it takes to finish that.

but love is the sky and i am for you
just so long and long enough

(in reply to Amelie_Scotland)
Post #: 3
RE: The Empire Book Club - 22/6/2008 1:24:47 PM   
homersimpson_esq

That's fair enough. A month might be neat as we have a week until the end of this month, so we can work it on a calendar monthly basis. It also gives time for finding of books first. (The council here thought it would be a good idea to have lots of little libraries across the city rather than one big one in the city centre. While that sounds like a good idea, it basically means that you're pretty much guaranteed to never find the book you want at the local library, meaning they always have to be ordered...)

Do you guys have any preferences of choices to start with?

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 4
RE: The Empire Book Club - 22/6/2008 1:26:59 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

I'm good with whatever you lot want to read first (god I'm an indecisive cow) but I'd love to start with a classic, since my impendig university course requires me to read so many of them.

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

Post #: 5
RE: The Empire Book Club - 22/6/2008 1:27:56 PM   
nomimalone

This sounds like a good idea, count me in.

Post #: 6
RE: The Empire Book Club - 22/6/2008 3:05:51 PM   
Chi Chi_ Chiuaua

Count me in too, but I agree that it should be every month as I'd have to order the books in, if I didn't have any of the selected titles already.

(in reply to nomimalone)
Post #: 7
RE: The Empire Book Club - 22/6/2008 3:11:37 PM   
elab49

Can I suggest - one of the problems with this last time it started on here (which wasn't that long ago) was the differing rates people did choose to read the book. It meant people posting views at different times so people were kind of coming in later and I got the impression - possibly wrongly - that others felt they'd already discussed it (for a lot of people a month is far too long, for others it is perfect). There was also the query over things like spoilers. The 'club' lasted one book. It might be helpful to agree groundrules upfront on when the posting and discussion on a book starts? The thread might still be around if you want to see what went wrong with that one?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Chi Chi_ Chiuaua)
Post #: 8
RE: The Empire Book Club - 22/6/2008 3:14:47 PM   
Olaf

Count me in Homer, I'm actually just starting Catcher In The Rye this evening - freaky...

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 9
RE: The Empire Book Club - 22/6/2008 3:16:42 PM   
Manchurian candidate

I'd be up for it. Sporadically.

But I can always make time for Ulysses.

"Ford's economics are the worst thing that's happened to this country since pantyhose ruined finger-fucking."
Lyndon B. Johnson
"British Beatitudes! Beer, beef, business, bibles, bulldogs, battleships, buggery and bishops"
-Ulysses, By James Joyce
"Rose McGowan is a fucking clown"
-Harry Lime
"Who's Keith"
- Rhubarb

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 10
RE: The Empire Book Club - 22/6/2008 3:19:18 PM   
Barraluke

I think this is a good idea, if done every 3-4 weeks would be better than one week definately. Those books seem a good start, and yeh, i think there should be clear rules to follow but nothing too complicated. For example, if it got to the point where we had a rulebook, well....
But yeh sounds good!

A naked American man stole my balloons.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 11
RE: The Empire Book Club - 22/6/2008 3:40:35 PM   
Manchurian candidate

Also, I'm in favour of it being monthly, just so I can actually get a hold of the books.

And my suggestions for future readings would be (Classic) House of Mirth and (Modern) American Psycho.

< Message edited by Manchurian candidate -- 22/6/2008 3:47:37 PM >

"Ford's economics are the worst thing that's happened to this country since pantyhose ruined finger-fucking."
Lyndon B. Johnson
"British Beatitudes! Beer, beef, business, bibles, bulldogs, battleships, buggery and bishops"
-Ulysses, By James Joyce
"Rose McGowan is a fucking clown"
-Harry Lime
"Who's Keith"
- Rhubarb

(in reply to Barraluke)
Post #: 12
RE: The Empire Book Club - 22/6/2008 4:49:16 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Can I suggest - one of the problems with this last time it started on here (which wasn't that long ago) was the differing rates people did choose to read the book. It meant people posting views at different times so people were kind of coming in later and I got the impression - possibly wrongly - that others felt they'd already discussed it (for a lot of people a month is far too long, for others it is perfect). There was also the query over things like spoilers. The 'club' lasted one book. It might be helpful to agree groundrules upfront on when the posting and discussion on a book starts? The thread might still be around if you want to see what went wrong with that one?

I did wonder if one had been done before, but didn't remember whether it had or not.

I think that maybe it might seem like it is slow to pick up because, of course, in the first month you have folks just reading the book. Once you get to month two, there is more discussion.
Of course, one really easy way round it is to have a general discussion thread about the Book Club itself, and then a separate thread for the books in question. It's not exactly going to overtake this subforum, as it'll be one book per month. I think if general discussion were in this thread, and then spoilery post-reading discussion was in another separate book-specific thread, it would work quite nicely.

I do agree about the different pacing of reading, which is why a separate thread can be started. Those who read the book in a week can start discussing, and then others can join in once they've read it, much in the same way that people (or at least I) tend to read the reviews page for each new film only once they've seen it, as generally they'll be filled with spoilerificness.

The pendulum is swinging towards starting with a classic at the moment...

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 13
RE: The Empire Book Club - 22/6/2008 4:52:40 PM   
Olaf

Any chance of Fear & Loathing or I Am Legend?

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Post #: 14
RE: The Empire Book Club - 22/6/2008 5:03:08 PM   
homersimpson_esq

I'll add 'em to the list!

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 15
RE: The Empire Book Club - 22/6/2008 5:06:19 PM   
Olaf

Don't forget If Chins Could Kill: Confessions Of A B Movie Actor...

Post #: 16
RE: The Empire Book Club - 22/6/2008 5:10:26 PM   
homersimpson_esq

I fear a discussion of that book may quickly degenerate to something resembling the LOTR Vs ED thread, when the ringers come in and say, "well, it's a good book, but nothing like Tolkien..."... 

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 17
RE: The Empire Book Club - 22/6/2008 9:44:48 PM   
KnightofZyryab

This sounds good, I'd very much like to partake in this activity. A month is good for me too because I've got a grade exam coming up in 2 weeks time, after that I can read as many as possible - I've got Clockwork Orange and I Am Legend,  Catcher in the Rye's somewhere as well. Some Shakespeare would be great as well - I'm looking to read the neglected "Coriolanus" at some point, and possibly The Merchant of Venice.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

Post #: 18
RE: The Empire Book Club - 22/6/2008 11:31:23 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

Yer i remember the last "book club" thread and noone could decide about something that seemed abit stupid. But i think this might be a goer.

A month seems fair - im a moderately fast reader, but i only read on the train to work so theres a limited time i can read.

But - we could do three weeks, and in the last week of the month we can all both discuss the book in detail (the first three weeks could be discussing the book sparingly or in less detail such as about the themes of the book, not specific plot details- for those who have finished the book can discuss it in detail a separate thread- so it gives everyone a chance to finish the book then give their views.) and decide on a different book.

So like the detailed thoughts could be done in this thread
and the decision of the book could be made up in another thread - plus vague views

Classic recommendation: A Clockwork Orange - or Hamlet
Modern - About a Boy - Nick Hornby

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 19
RE: The Empire Book Club - 23/6/2008 9:01:14 AM   
sharkboy

Count me in as well - certainly give me some incentive to read a bit more than currently at least!

My nominations are Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (Classic) and number9dream by David Mitchell (Modern)

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 20
RE: The Empire Book Club - 23/6/2008 12:46:57 PM   
vernieboy

Yeah count me in for this one as well not sure about nominations for books at the moment so will go with the flow

"Nothing's worse than having an itch you can never scratch."

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 21
RE: The Empire Book Club - 23/6/2008 1:14:31 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

For the "classics" half:

Catcher in the Rye - J.D.Salinger
East of Eden - John Steinbeck
A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
Ulysses - James Joyce (think this one might need the full fortnight...)

I'd suggest that you maintain the readability of the novels you select.  Catcher and Clockwork Orange are both imo excellent choices as they are not too long, but are very involving.  For anyone but the most hardcore amongst us (and I don't include myself in this) I'd suggest that the chances of finishing Ulysses are very slim.  East of Eden is a good pick and great novel, but Mice and Men might be slightly more approachable and is a wonderful read too.

quote:

For the modern half:

Children of Men - P.D. James
The Big Nowhere - James Ellroy
Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy
Trainspotting - Irvine Welsh

Nice choice with Ellroy, not a fan of Trainspotting but I'd try digging it out again for a discussion.  I've never read McCarthy, so that would be intriguing and I might not rush to read Children of Men as I've seen the film.  Not the same I know.  Something by either Iain Banks or Ian McEwan might be fun. 

Post #: 22
RE: The Empire Book Club - 23/6/2008 1:29:44 PM   
elab49

As a recommendation for Children of Men I would add that the concerns of the novel are very different from the film which has a prime focus on issues of immigration. Which is there in the book in a minor way - but the novel is quite different.

Which worked well because it meant much of the film was a surprise even to someone who had read the book.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 23
RE: The Empire Book Club - 23/6/2008 1:49:22 PM   
homersimpson_esq

I grabbed the choices from the "to read" thread that people had posted  I chose ones that a) I hadn't read and b) looked interesting. I stuck Ulysses in there to keep MC happy... But yeah, I agree we have to keep them at least vaguely readable!

Coming up first: Tolstoy's War & Peace...

I agree about Iain Banks, and I've been wanting to read an Ian McEwan novel since I watched Atonement. Of course, the main problem with a book club is simply choosing one to discuss out of the many excellent books out there. In a bid to reduce that choice, I make a move to start with a classic. With that in mind, we have the following up for discussion. (I'd wait for more suggestions but with great choice comes great indecision. That's what Uncle Ben said anyway, I think.)

1 Catcher in the Rye - J.D.Salinger
0 Of Mice And Men - John Steinbeck  (going with your suggestion there prof)
1 A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
1 House of Mirth - Edith Waughton
1 Catch 22 - Joseph Heller

We have Olaf already reading Catcher in the Rye, so I've counted that as a vote as I have the other votes. If we keep the votes going until the weekend, and then we can start at the beginning of July.

Any other ideas re threads and spoilers? I reckon a separate thread called "The Empire Book Club - [classic book title here]" where all and sundry can discuss the book once they've read it - enter before that at your own risk, sort of thing. Then all voting and discussion of subsequent books can be in here. Admin, as it were.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 24
RE: The Empire Book Club - 23/6/2008 1:50:44 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

As a recommendation for Children of Men I would add that the concerns of the novel are very different from the film which has a prime focus on issues of immigration. Which is there in the book in a minor way - but the novel is quite different.

Which worked well because it meant much of the film was a surprise even to someone who had read the book.

Excellent, that makes me want to read it more! I do like it when films complement books well.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 25
RE: The Empire Book Club - 23/6/2008 2:27:21 PM   
Peppermint

Are you going to include plays in this Homer?

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

Post #: 26
RE: The Empire Book Club - 23/6/2008 2:37:06 PM   
homersimpson_esq

I don't see why not. Granted, a play's first intention is to be heard and seen, rather than read, but more often than not the genius within a play is not fully realised until it is read. You have some suggestions for future months? 

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 27
RE: The Empire Book Club - 23/6/2008 2:40:38 PM   
Peppermint

Yeah, I was thinking Measure For Measure is a good play.

Also, going back to novels, how about Wilkie Collins? I've read his work and I thought it was pretty good.  I know you don't really rate Jane Austen, but how about the Brontes?

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

Post #: 28
RE: The Empire Book Club - 23/6/2008 2:53:00 PM   
Harley Quinn

Can I sign up I need the motivation to read a few more classics.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 29
RE: The Empire Book Club - 23/6/2008 3:13:03 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peppermint

Yeah, I was thinking Measure For Measure is a good play.

but how about the Brontes?

Remind yourself - reading good books is good for the soul!

Measure for Measure is possibly my favourite Shakespeare play. If you can ever find it - and I treasure my recorded from TV on VHS copy - the Tom Wilkinson version is amazing.

Modern classic

Sacred Hunger - Barry Unsworth (or After Hannibal is you prefer a shorter one, or Morality Play).

Classic Classic -

Diary of a Nobody, George and Weedon Grossmith or Bleak House/Dombey and Son by Dickens

quote:

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Empire Book Club - Discussion Threads Started! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI