Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Bonekickers

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Bonekickers Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bonekickers - 21/6/2008 8:06:20 PM   
Wedge

Anyone else see the trailer after Doctor Who?

Firstly, such an awful title!!  I was intrigued at first because I'm an archaeologist, but that trailer just look soooo rubbish.  I wonder if they are trying for something like CSI.  From the trailer, it looked like they were 'supernatural' elements involved.

Anyone actually think it looked good? 

Curiously, their consultant for the series is Mark Horton from Bristol Uni, who I was taught by when I was an undergraduate there.  You may remember him from the BBC series Coast.  Now, he's a real archaeologist, but you couldn't get a man less like the characters in this new drama. 

Here's their website.

< Message edited by Wedge -- 21/6/2008 8:12:12 PM >

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg
Post #: 1
RE: Bonekickers - 21/6/2008 8:30:44 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wedge

Curiously, their consultant for the series is Mark Horton from Bristol Uni, who I was taught by when I was an undergraduate there.  You may remember him from the BBC series Coast.  Now, he's a real archaeologist, but you couldn't get a man less like the characters in this new drama. 

Here's their website.

Speaking of odd uni connections, I'm probably going to have watch the episode with Lord Tennyson in at least, 'cos he's being played by a guy I used to sit in tutorials with..!

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 2
RE: Bonekickers - 21/6/2008 9:02:14 PM   
Mozza

It looks like its going to try and do for archaeologists what spooks did for, well, spooks.

I admit that I was intrigued by it until I heard the title; Bonekickers?!?  Whoever thought of that should be kicked in their bone*.

*Caution: Attempted phrase-turning ran out of steam.  I should reiterate that it is a shit title and the committee that thought of it should be punished.

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 3
RE: Bonekickers - 21/6/2008 9:20:05 PM   
sanchia

Wasn't there some bloke dressed up like a Indiana Jones clone in the trailer?

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 4
RE: Bonekickers - 23/6/2008 9:44:51 AM   
Gazdance

Title schmitle.  I think this looks good.  If it turns out to be then no one will care about the title.  It's clearly a kiddie friendly show to take the place of Doctor Who and if it's pulled off with half the imagination and heart of DW then I'll probably watch it.  The disadvantage is that it doesn't have an established fan base/franchise to fall back on.  I suppose we should be thankful that the BBC are trying something new.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 5
RE: Bonekickers - 23/6/2008 10:21:46 AM   
elab49

The cast looks amazing. The writing staff don't - tad more important. ONe real clunker who's written only crap. The chap that, for me, screwed up the Cybermen return. The person responsible for most of the writing on the kak that was Ashes to Ashes - and Matthew Graham who has a hell of a lot to make up for for being responsible for Ashes to Ashes. The idea of the first 3 coming up with something "profound and revelatory" that doesn't make dissolve it giggles or want to hurl is a long shot. Sounds a lot like Veritas crossed with Primeval frankly.

Still - depends on how seriously it takes itself. Primeval turned out fine - but the press release makes this sound a lot more po-faced.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Gazdance)
Post #: 6
RE: Bonekickers - 6/7/2008 4:28:59 PM   
Timon

This sounds like ridiculous fun from the Life on Mars creators. I'll be tuning in even though i've read rather negative reviews. Sounds like a modern Indiana Jones-esque adventure in the mold of SPOOKS.

Apparently the first episode deals with Christian fundamentalists that decapitate people with swords.

Nice!

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 7
RE: Bonekickers - 6/7/2008 9:36:45 PM   
TomTron

This got slated in The Times on Saturday. Said it was the most embarrasing thing the BBC has made for a long time.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 8
RE: Bonekickers - 6/7/2008 9:41:22 PM   
impqueen

All I know about this series is the line from the trailer “Use you archaeological imagination” which made me laugh and not in a kind way.  

Yes, always.

(in reply to TomTron)
Post #: 9
RE: Bonekickers - 7/7/2008 1:01:49 PM   
Manny

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

All I know about this series is the line from the trailer "Use you archaeological imagination” which made me laugh and not in a kind way.  

Up until that quote I was looking forward to this show

"Babylon fives a big pile of ..."

The winky faced smily is the mark of a moron ;)

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 10
RE: Bonekickers - 7/7/2008 1:02:48 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: TomTron

This got slated in The Times on Saturday. Said it was the most embarrasing thing the BBC has made for a long time.

I thought the Davina thing was the Beeb?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to TomTron)
Post #: 11
RE: Bonekickers - 7/7/2008 1:19:43 PM   
discodave101

The clip on Jonathan Ross made this look like utter garbage. May give it a try tho.

More intrigued by the new Merlin program that I think is getting the Doctor Who Saturday slot.

"Softly softly, catchy monkey"

"I didn't know you spoke spanish"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 12
RE: Bonekickers - 7/7/2008 1:27:20 PM   
elab49

Isn't it the people who did Hex? I'm expecting complete bobbins, possibly even worse than Robin Hood.

But surprises are always nice.

quote:

(in reply to discodave101)
Post #: 13
RE: Bonekickers - 8/7/2008 11:30:18 AM   
Fanboyslayer

It just looks like some poor Da Vinci code/Indiana Jones/Spooks type rip off. It'll probably be as bad as that awful as Hex or that shocking Torchwood. We just don't seem to be able to do stuff like this well in this country. I don't know if it's our writers just not being up to it or the fact that our seasons are so short they just can't get a good arch going.  

Agree with others as well bloody awful title.

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 14
RE: Bonekickers - 8/7/2008 12:25:48 PM   
wombathog

I'm hoping that FartKnockers has the reverse Indy/Phantom Menace phenomenon:  People are expecting it to be so bad that (fingers crossed) it might actually be mildly entertaining.  It can't be that bad can it?

Although my mind tells me that it'll be so bad it's just plain bad.

'Would you mind dear sir if I asked you a question, If music be the food of love are you the indigestion?'

(in reply to Fanboyslayer)
Post #: 15
RE: Bonekickers - 8/7/2008 4:00:44 PM   
kathryn2

The thing is I actually want to watch this now just to see if it's as bad as I think it's going to be.

Mind you, that's only going to last for one episode, if it turns out to be completely shit I won't watch another.

(in reply to wombathog)
Post #: 16
RE: Bonekickers - 8/7/2008 5:56:25 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

All I know about this series is the line from the trailer "Use you archaeological imagination” which made me laugh and not in a kind way.  

I laugh so much at this trailer. It really does the show no favours. Some lines are so terribly delivered. I seriously thought the trailer was a piss take when I first saw it.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 17
RE: Bonekickers - 8/7/2008 9:51:29 PM   
Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

Is anybody watching this right now? It really is quite the worst thing I've seen on TV in ages. I mean absolutely, car crash awful. Laughable from script to direction to performance (the lead woman is just dreadful - archeologists do not act like grizzled coppers). The exposition is laughable, the characters risible and the plot is sub-Dan Brown garbage. And I really dislike Dan Brown in the first place.  

"Things are going to get pretty interesting..."
"Define 'interesting'"
"Oh God, Oh God, we're all gonna die?"

If only we could harness Otis Ferry for good...
All hail Hypnotoad

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 18
RE: Bonekickers - 8/7/2008 9:55:47 PM   
FlangeBags

I'm watching this at the minute and it is terrible.
I mean really, really bad.  Possibly one of the worst things I've ever seen.
I love it!

It's like a cross between The Da Vinci Code, Time Team and Primeval but without a single redeeming feature (not even Hannah whatsername running round in her pants, which was, let's face it, the only reason most people watched Primeval).
Appalling acting, terrible script and story, religious nut jobs who took the time to have idiotic t-shirts printed with lovely red crosses, a nurse with healing powers, and all of this within the first half hour!
Sails easily into the so bad (so, so very bad) it's quite entertaining category.

There'll be complaints about the beheading though...

Edit:  I take that back.  Just got to the "action" bit at the end.  It's now gone through the "so bad it's entertaining" part and out the other side.  Now we're into, "so bad it might cause an embellism" territory.  Unmitigated toss of the worst kind.
And a teeth grindingly bad coda with the "real" cross shining!  I fear several hundred of my synapses just committed suicide.

< Message edited by FlangeBags -- 8/7/2008 10:07:00 PM >

My homepage - http://allendonnelly.squarespace.com/

My debut novel, BUY IT (please)! - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crystal-Eyes-ebook/dp/B005ZJ56GY

(in reply to Vertigo...Woo.Yay.)
Post #: 19
RE: Bonekickers - 8/7/2008 10:05:20 PM   
elab49

When they were oohing and aaahing over the artefacts I just gave up - the obvious first explanation was bleedin' souvenirs!

Truly atrocious. Bless Bonneville, he tried - and Lester needs to shoot his agent. Even worse than the previews predicted. I assume it will disappear in the same way that terrible justice group thing did.

quote:

(in reply to FlangeBags)
Post #: 20
RE: Bonekickers - 8/7/2008 10:06:36 PM   
Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

quote:

ORIGINAL: FlangeBags
Sails easily into the so bad (so, so very bad) it's quite entertaining category.

No, it's just crap. I actually feel sorry for Adrian Lester: he must have realised at some point how awful it was turning out.

"Things are going to get pretty interesting..."
"Define 'interesting'"
"Oh God, Oh God, we're all gonna die?"

If only we could harness Otis Ferry for good...
All hail Hypnotoad

(in reply to FlangeBags)
Post #: 21
RE: Bonekickers - 8/7/2008 10:10:09 PM   
FlangeBags

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

quote:

ORIGINAL: FlangeBags

No, it's just crap. I actually feel sorry for Adrian Lester: he must have realised at some point how awful it was turning out.

Yes, having reached the end now I must agree and have edited my previous post accordingly.
How much of the licence fee did they waste on this bollocks?

My homepage - http://allendonnelly.squarespace.com/

My debut novel, BUY IT (please)! - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crystal-Eyes-ebook/dp/B005ZJ56GY

(in reply to Vertigo...Woo.Yay.)
Post #: 22
RE: Bonekickers - 8/7/2008 10:26:11 PM   
foz

I have just spent the last 20 minutes or so trying to come up with something witty and urbane to describe the events of the preceding hour, and the best I can come up with is this:

Blimey, that was shite

(in reply to FlangeBags)
Post #: 23
RE: Bonekickers - 9/7/2008 9:19:28 AM   
Timon

Ha! I liked it! In a 'it's so bad and by-the-numbers, it's entertaining'. Poor Adrian Lester. Oh well. Next week's looks just as amusing.

Consider me amused enough to continue watching!

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 24
RE: Bonekickers - 9/7/2008 9:36:37 AM   
Fanboyslayer

Oh my goodness that was so bad it was painful. It was like some kind of car crash I couldn't take my eyes of it as it unfolded before me. Terrible acting for the most part, awful script, rubbish story done badly and just beating you round the head with all these hideous let's all be nice messages. We want to do a Da Vinci style plot but we don't want to offend anyone when I think they actual managed to offend everyone with that pile of garbage religious or not. Two much crammed in for anything to flow nicely and it was so obvious where they were going with it all. The finally action bit was quite frankly one of the worse things I ever seen.  I loved the nurse with the splinter in her finger   I think I'll be giving next weeks episode a miss.

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 25
RE: Bonekickers - 9/7/2008 9:45:07 AM   
Harley Quinn

I actually enjoyed it, in a mindless fun way. 

But  I also liked Hex, Primevil and Torchwood so I clearly have no taste when it come's to good telly.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 26
RE: Bonekickers - 9/7/2008 9:46:14 AM   
elab49

It is such a poor attempt at Primeval though. Scots science lead, suited up admin, stalwart sidekick (although you'd never call Lester a plank of wood his dialogue was that bad), pretty young thing running round and funny sidekick (in this case Bonneville).

It is the exact template - but they forgot the not taking itself quite seriously humour bit that helps make Primeval so watchable.

So - who do we think was really responsible for Life on Mars writing, then? I mean from Ashes to Ashes I knew Pharoah was godawful. But I'm now assuming that it was just Tony Jordan doing all the heavy lifting on LoM.

quote:

(in reply to Fanboyslayer)
Post #: 27
RE: Bonekickers - 9/7/2008 11:44:45 AM   
Felix

Just started watching it on Iplayer and my god, I'm only 2 minutes in and I want to rip my eyeballs out.

I love the fact they're treating the discovery of a coin in a field in Somerset like a murder investigation

"How did a coin from the middle east get to a field in Somerset?"

Its a mystery, cos coins are well known for staying in the same place arent they...

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 28
RE: Bonekickers - 9/7/2008 11:47:20 AM   
Felix

"History is layers"

"Theres always something down there"

"We have a medieval riddle to solve, so we start digging" (How many times have you said that at work today Wedge? )

My god this is chock full of clangers.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 29
RE: Bonekickers - 9/7/2008 11:57:28 AM   
James2183

Where's all the high vis and hard hats? 

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Bonekickers Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI