Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Harry Potter's Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Harry Potter's Thread Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Harry Potter's Thread - 30/9/2005 3:12:04 PM   
AgentGoth

Harry Potter's Thread

Yep, Empire kittens, the thread is back. Post all the shite you want in here... I really don't care. You can talk about the books, the movies, the game and all the perverted fantasies that we seem to have.

So... Snape, huh?

"Sheriff Perry! You are violating my territorial bubble!"
Post #: 1
RE: Harry Potter's Thread - 2/1/2006 7:31:03 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

quote:

But they use candles and stuff when they could use electric lights, and oh my god, they don't have t.v.s! There's stuff that magic can't do that technology can. Like Ron doesn't even knw how to use a telephone! Much more simple than talking out of a fire or whatever else they do to communicate from long distances. And they dress weird - sometimes the kids are wearing trackies, then they're wearing robes (that's just in the film I think) but it doesn't make sense. Oh well I shall have to suspend my disbelief.

To hide from Muggles, I assume the Wizarding world has by nature cut itself off culturally. Therefore, they are very much stuck in a weird cross between Medieval/Victorian/Modern times.

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.
Post #: 2
RE: Harry Potter's Thread - 2/1/2006 9:11:53 PM   
*Jack of all Trades*

quote:

ORIGINAL: doctorolorinbats1975

quote:

But they use candles and stuff when they could use electric lights, and oh my god, they don't have t.v.s! There's stuff that magic can't do that technology can. Like Ron doesn't even knw how to use a telephone! Much more simple than talking out of a fire or whatever else they do to communicate from long distances. And they dress weird - sometimes the kids are wearing trackies, then they're wearing robes (that's just in the film I think) but it doesn't make sense. Oh well I shall have to suspend my disbelief.

To hide from Muggles, I assume the Wizarding world has by nature cut itself off culturally. Therefore, they are very much stuck in a weird cross between Medieval/Victorian/Modern times.

Or just J.K. Rowling trying to be imaginative.

OMG WTF KTHXBAI

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 3
RE: Harry Potter's Thread - 9/1/2006 11:53:08 AM   
Pinkvelvet

Neo I was referring to Tom the barman not Tom Riddle - I might be old but Imnot that senile ye tlol

(in reply to *Jack of all Trades*)
Post #: 4
RE: Harry Potter's Thread - 9/1/2006 12:07:08 PM   
crayon

Yes, but Dumbledore doesn't have a brother called Tom for him to swap places with.  His brother is called Aberforth.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.

I shall call him squishy, and he shall be mine, and he shall be my squishy!

(in reply to Pinkvelvet)
Post #: 5
RE: Harry Potter's Thread - 9/1/2006 11:56:29 PM   
Pinkvelvet

I know I was just confused after reading so many sites and just got the name wrong duh! And Ive read all the boks 6 times!! tut tut lol

(in reply to crayon)
Post #: 6
RE: Harry Potter's Thread - 27/1/2006 9:04:02 PM   
Lady_Hawk

I am in the process of reading all the books again and am just finishing the HBP. I aim to have all answers to all questions by the end of my second reading so stay tuned - I will return................. 

(in reply to Pinkvelvet)
Post #: 7
RE: Harry Potter's Thread - 30/1/2006 8:55:49 PM   
Lady_Hawk

Righteehooo -

Firstly, Snape if NOT evil, he's a git - but he's on our side. DD was asking him to do the curse not pleading for his life. Malfoy kept his activities secret from Snape despite being his pet throughout the other stories and is suspicious of Snape. I also don't think Malfoy will totally turn to the dark side and will end up helping Harry out of remorse.

I really don't think Harry is a horcrux, it just doesn't make sense. Voldemort wouldn't have wanted to turn his arch enemy into a vessel of part of his soul, he wanted to kill Harry.

DD  is dead, sad but true. I'm sure his portrait will be helpful in some way though, and possibly his brother. I read a theory that DD and his brother switched, because they looked so alike. I don't buy it though!

(in reply to Lady_Hawk)
Post #: 8
RE: Harry Potter's Thread - 1/2/2006 12:12:36 PM   
TobiasFunke

quote:

DD  is dead, sad but true. I'm sure his portrait will be helpful in some way though, and possibly his brother. I read a theory that DD and his brother switched, because they looked so alike. I don't buy it though!

That theory is popular not solely because of their similarity to each other but because JK conspicuously doesn't mention Aberforth Dumbledore by name in book 6, despite the fact he's appeared before. He's just referred to as the barman at the Hog's Head, which is rather odd given that Harry's already been told who he is and that he used to be a member of the OotP.

Bill Maher: Herbert Hoover was a shitty President but even he didn't concede an entire metropolis to rising water and snakes!

(in reply to Lady_Hawk)
Post #: 9
RE: Harry Potter's Thread - 2/2/2006 3:42:55 PM   
TobiasFunke

Pictures of the latest actors to be confirmed by WB for OotP:

Kathryn Hunter as Mrs. Figg  Whaaat?!? Since when was Mrs. Figg forty-something? And not June Whitfield?! Worst casting choice so far in my opinion.

Natalie Tena (standing) as Nymphadora Tonks. Personally I think the woman in front looks more like the Tonks I imagine when reading the books. Kate Winslet would have been good in the role too, especially with her Eternal Sunshine hair colours!

Helen McCrory as Bellatrix Lestrange. Good choice, although anyone beats Liz Hurley!

Imelda Staunton as Dolores Umbridge. Glad to see this has been confirmed. Hem hem!

George Harris as Kingsley Shacklebot. Another good choice!

Bill Maher: Herbert Hoover was a shitty President but even he didn't concede an entire metropolis to rising water and snakes!

(in reply to TobiasFunke)
Post #: 10
RE: Harry Potter's Thread - 2/2/2006 4:03:39 PM   
crayon

Kathryn Hunter - bad bad choice.  Bad.  I'm sure she'll be great in the role...but still, a very strange choice.  She isn't old!  She doesn't look like a cat owner!  

Natalie Tena - not heard of her.  I'm with you on the other girl looking more Tonks-y though.

Helen McCrory - she certainly looks the part!

Imelda Staunton - I predict that she will steal the film from under their noses!  I love this woman!

George Harris - again, a great choice!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.

I shall call him squishy, and he shall be mine, and he shall be my squishy!

Post #: 11
RE: Harry Potter's Thread - 2/2/2006 4:14:03 PM   
Krazy_Beyootiful

If you've seen About a Boy Natalie Tena was Ellie, the punky girl that Marcus fell in love with. If that helps at all.

I'm also a bit confused by the choice of Kathryn Hunter but it could be interesting to see how it works out - and Mrs.Figg is only a minor role in this book.

The other three are all excellent casting choices although, like a lot of people, I had been vaguely hoping Judi Dench would get cast as Umbridge.  However, I'm sure Imelda Staunton will be absolutely fabulous in the role.

How can we be happy in a world where predictive text can spell Indictment but not Flapjacks?

(in reply to crayon)
Post #: 12
RE: Harry Potter's Thread - 2/2/2006 4:23:25 PM   
tbird

Helen McRory doesn't look quite as evil as I'd imagined Bellatrix to be, but she's got a glint in her eye that's for sure!

"Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain"

(in reply to Krazy_Beyootiful)
Post #: 13
RE: Harry Potter's Thread - 2/2/2006 8:53:36 PM   
Pinkvelvet

Im impressed with all the casting bar Mrs Figgs - it should fdefinitely have gone to June Whitfield, who would have been perfect in that role.  JW would be perfect in Harry Potter full stop!

(in reply to tbird)
Post #: 14
RE: Harry Potter's Thread - 3/2/2006 2:04:25 PM   
Juror No 8

There's a big BIG flaw in the Dumbleodre is a Phoenix argument, that I read somewhere earlier in this thread.

If he did happen to be a phoenix, then he would come back to life in the same way that Fawkes came back to life, as a baby. He would then take years to grown into any form of human shape to be able to help Harry. Which would be absolutely no use what-so-ever to Harry in the final year of his battle against Voldemort! 

I don't need eye-glasses. Twenty-twenty.

My Blog/Book - "The Best Man"

The Victorious Campaign for the Return of How Much is a Pint of Milk?

(in reply to Pinkvelvet)
Post #: 15
RE: Harry Potter's Thread - 3/2/2006 2:26:03 PM   
tbird

Yes that's very true - but don't forget that it was only a matter of months between Fawkes dyingf and being reborn, and when he came to rescue Harry from the Chamber of Secrets so there appears to be some form of accelerated growth there. Maybe if he was a phoenix (and I don't think he is) it would only take him a few years or even months to be back to his usual self...

"Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain"

(in reply to Juror No 8)
Post #: 16
RE: Harry Potter's Thread - 3/2/2006 3:03:17 PM   
TobiasFunke

I think its to do with patronuses. Note that in McGonagall's classroom scenes in the films we see a cat sitting on her desk all the time. I think the very powerful wizards can make their patronus charms solid, or corporeal, for as long as they wish. JK confirmed that DD's patronus is a phoenix; as you need to be alive to cast a patronus, i think the cry of the phoenix at DD's funeral is a hint he's still alive.

(in reply to tbird)
Post #: 17
RE: Harry Potter's Thread - 3/2/2006 3:07:20 PM   
tbird

I thought that that was simply Fawkes' grief stricken cry?

Post #: 18
RE: Harry Potter's Thread - 3/2/2006 3:27:27 PM   
TobiasFunke

It probably was and Im reading too much into it; however if my theory stands, fawkes is actually a patronus made corporeal and the fact he's still around at the end of HBP means DD must be too. I'm probably completely wrong of course! 

(in reply to tbird)
Post #: 19
RE: Harry Potter's Thread - 3/2/2006 3:39:40 PM   
tbird

It certainly sound slike it could be plausible. But would JK have put that much thought into bringing Dumbledore back from the dead??

Post #: 20
RE: Harry Potter's Thread - 4/2/2006 9:20:51 PM   
Lady_Hawk

I just hope that they stick closer to the DD of the books in the new movie. Gambon is a great actor but he's all over the place with his portayal of DD. I wish they had cast Peter O'Toole...................

(in reply to tbird)
Post #: 21
RE: Harry Potter's Thread - 6/2/2006 1:27:55 PM   
Juror No 8

I think I heard somewhere that Gambon hadn't actually read the books. Which may go some way to explaining why is so, SO wrong as Dumbledore.

My own choice for Dumbledore may be a little odd, but I wish Stephen Fry had been given the role. OK it may need a fair bit of make-up to make him look the part, but just listen to him narrating the audio books, he knows the part and plays the character perfectly.

I don't need eye-glasses. Twenty-twenty.

My Blog/Book - "The Best Man"

The Victorious Campaign for the Return of How Much is a Pint of Milk?

(in reply to Lady_Hawk)
Post #: 22
RE: Harry Potter's Thread - 6/2/2006 4:16:00 PM   
tbird

I'd just like Fry to be in the films full stop. Why hasn't he been given a role yet to play?

(in reply to Juror No 8)
Post #: 23
RE: Harry Potter's Thread - 6/2/2006 5:16:12 PM   
TobiasFunke

Stephen Fry should definetly appear in the films. They could stick him in a fat suit and make-up to play Horace Slughorn in film 6! Or maybe JK will write him a special role for the final book/film? Fingers crossed!

(in reply to tbird)
Post #: 24
RE: Harry Potter's Thread - 17/2/2006 11:24:47 AM   
steffols

now that i think of it he would make a good Hagrid!! but he cannot replace Robbie Coltrane - he is THE Hagrid

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

Post #: 25
RE: Harry Potter's Thread - 16/3/2006 12:07:34 PM   
TobiasFunke

I thought I would give this thread a bump back to page one, the last post was a month ago! So, the Empire awards saw the Harry Potter films being awarded for their outstanding contribution to British cinema. Thoughts on this? Personally I think its well deserved, the films have helped to boost cinemas and are using an excellent ensemble cast made up almost fully of British actors.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 26
RE: Harry Potter's Thread - 28/3/2006 1:27:07 AM   
frankj

I'm not adding much to the debate with this, but I agree with all your points above!

However, I've just read the thread from the beginning - and loved all the theories bandied about - but here's a thought; is there any point in attaching significance to anything that doesn't appear in the movies?

From what I understand, JK's maintained a strict control on both what's excised and what's expanded on from the books. That being the case, it seems odd that Aberforth's never been mentioned on screen (as far as I can recall). And other aspects which were given great importance in the novels have totally disappeared; Rita Skeeter exposed as an animagus, for instance - why have her at all, without that big reveal? Or S.P.E.W. - I was looking forward to seeing a drunken Winky.

Instead, we have an increased focus on Neville (god, he's shite - let's hope they get him to Acting Camp before the next outing), and a teeny tiny cameo from Tim Spall - just enough to keep him in the frame. We get a slice of chit-chat from Hagrid and Madame Maxine, but not her subsequent hissy fit. And there's not a Dursley in sight.
Admittedly, there's a fair bit of knowledge assumed by the filmmakers  - Dumbledore mutters "Prior Incantato" without explaining why it happened or what it caused - but I think it's fair of us to assume that if it isn't featured on the screen, it won't really matter come Book 7.

In terms of TGOF - I was surprised at how many changes were wrought in the flick, especially during the Quidditch World Cup sequence (aside from not seeing the actual game, which really pissed me off!). And if I remember the book rightly, when Barty Crouch conjured the Dark Mark, his intention was to shame and terrify the 'cowardly' Death Eaters, and thus create a riot; in the film, however, he only casts the spell once everything has subsided. Why bother?

(Speaking of Barty Jnr - no Winky, no Invisibility Cloak, no explanation of his escape from Azkaban, no Death By Dementor. I'd have loved to have seen all those things
on screen...)

Overall, I thought it was a good movie. They always seem to get the adult cast spot-on (the jury's still out on Michael Gambon, but I thought Richard Harris was a bit too austere anyway - where was the mischief?), and Brendan Gleason stole the show; not at all the Moody I imagined, but he will be from now on. David Tennant and Roger Lloyd-Pack were excellent, and as for the TriWizard competitors - a bit more foxy than they were in the book, but no bad thing. And didn't Cedric look like the young Tom Riddle? Maybe that's why Voldemort was so quick to have him killed...

Voldemort. The graveyard scene was just brilliant. Genuinely scary, and brilliantly acted by Ralph Fiennes. I was worried that he'd come over as a crappy Bond villain, very measured and faux polite, but instead he delivered real menace and madness without letting things get campy.

Two things bugged me, though. The dragon sequence went on for faaar too long, and seemed to lose all its momentum when taken out of the arena. And what was the point in getting Gary Oldman to play Sirius, when he was completely unrecognisable in the fireplace? Or did he just provide a voice-over?

Azkaban's still the best transition to celluloid so far, I think. But this is a close second.

And regarding Dumbledore... from the minute I read the first book (and before the films were cast), I thought John Neville would have been utterly perfect in the role - remember him as Baron Munchausen? Genius - he exuded mischief!

< Message edited by frankj -- 8/4/2006 11:09:29 PM >

"And if they try to stop us Seaweed, we'll call the end of a lacy pea..."

Post #: 27
RE: Harry Potter's Thread - 17/4/2006 6:30:47 PM   
Beats

This thread has died a bit but I have just started re-reading the series again and possibly because I’ve re-read these books soooo many times I’m starting to notice little things that don’t necessarily annoy me but don’t really add up, and I was wondering if any one else has noticed any holes in JK’s world, for example…

Hagrid and the whole CoS getting opened…..while at school he gets accused and expelled for opening the CoS and getting a girl killed…yet he still gets to stay at Hogwarts and be the game keeper and well doesn’t seem to incur any other wrath. However when the chamber is opened for the second time and no one actually dies he gets carted off to Azkaban without a trial or anything. It doesn’t make sense. In fact the whole judicial system seems a bit mental to me, they wrongly imprison Hagrid and Black yet they have a whole arsenal of truth detecting spells and potions they even have bloody time turners so they could in fact go back in time to investigate any crime.

I’m ready PoA at the moment, I’ve not got to the end yet but I’m trying to remember if Lupin gives any reason for not alerting anyone to the fact that Black can turn into a dog, surely if he thought Black was the mad murderer that killed his friends he would do the right thing and let people know especially as they we all so convinced that he was trying to kill Harry.

God I need to get out more

Its funny everyone is getting very upset about the on screen Dumbledore but I’ve always thought that Snape is way off the mark compared to what’s in the books, not that I mind as I love Alan Rickman.

"They run off eckeltricity, do they?"
"Ah yes, I can see the plugs. I collect plugs"

(in reply to frankj)
Post #: 28
RE: Harry Potter's Thread - 17/4/2006 6:37:08 PM   
AgentGoth

I thought this thread was dead!  God... I'd fogotten about this place. Need to dust off the cobwebs soon and re-read the series.

I always thought Alan Rickman was perfect casting for Snivellous.

"Sheriff Perry! You are violating my territorial bubble!"

(in reply to Beats)
Post #: 29
RE: Harry Potter's Thread - 17/4/2006 6:41:59 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beats

This thread has died a bit but I have just started re-reading the series again and possibly because I've re-read these books soooo many times I'm starting to notice little things that don't necessarily annoy me but don't really add up, and I was wondering if any one else has noticed any holes in JK's world, for example…

Hagrid and the whole CoS getting opened…..while at school he gets accused and expelled for opening the CoS and getting a girl killed…yet he still gets to stay at Hogwarts and be the game keeper and well doesn't seem to incur any other wrath. However when the chamber is opened for the second time and no one actually dies he gets carted off to Azkaban without a trial or anything. It doesn't make sense. In fact the whole judicial system seems a bit mental to me, they wrongly imprison Hagrid and Black yet they have a whole arsenal of truth detecting spells and potions they even have bloody time turners so they could in fact go back in time to investigate any crime.

I'm ready PoA at the moment, I've not got to the end yet but I'm trying to remember if Lupin gives any reason for not alerting anyone to the fact that Black can turn into a dog, surely if he thought Black was the mad murderer that killed his friends he would do the right thing and let people know especially as they we all so convinced that he was trying to kill Harry.

God I need to get out more

Its funny everyone is getting very upset about the on screen Dumbledore but I've always thought that Snape is way off the mark compared to what's in the books, not that I mind as I love Alan Rickman.

Rowling writes great twists: it's best not to poke about lapses in logic because all thrillers have them: the illusion helps.

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to Beats)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Harry Potter's Thread Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI