Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Thing That Annoys Me On Movie Forums

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Thing That Annoys Me On Movie Forums Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Thing That Annoys Me On Movie Forums - 9/6/2008 8:15:37 PM   
JustinFox

Not sure if anyone has noticed this, and i'm mainly talking about IMDB here but if someone goes on there and says they don't like a really popular film they get ridiculed, eg if I went on there and said I don't like Blade Runner for example, there's always a queue of people to say that i'm wrong etc, this also happens when someone says they like a film that is regarded as rubbish, other films that people are "Protective" over, Lord Of The Rings, Matrix etc, here's an example of what I mean

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083658/board/flat/108106591?p=1
Post #: 1
RE: Thing That Annoys Me On Movie Forums - 9/6/2008 8:19:08 PM   
Tech_Noir

Stay away from the IMDB forums... stay away... stay away....

(in reply to JustinFox)
Post #: 2
RE: Thing That Annoys Me On Movie Forums - 9/6/2008 8:23:38 PM   
swordsandsandals

When I feel inferior to 15 year olds

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 3
RE: Thing That Annoys Me On Movie Forums - 9/6/2008 8:31:25 PM   
Sphinx

I warned people before won't hurt a second time - DO NOT go into certain forums unless you know EXACTLY what you're less yourself in for. Two worst one are:

Indepedence Day - This film is great fun but there are threads that are very dangerous to your health and sanity

Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion the Witch and the Wadrobe: Don't, for the love of peace just don't! They ripped into poor Mr Tumnus like a voodoo doll, took Aslan as really Jesus, took the piss out the kids' looks. Honestly it was war!

stick to nice little childhood films threads, you really are better off

< Message edited by Sphinx -- 9/6/2008 8:32:06 PM >

Meet The New Boss...Same As The Old Boss

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 4
RE: Thing That Annoys Me On Movie Forums - 9/6/2008 8:37:59 PM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sphinx

I warned people before won't hurt a second time - DO NOT go into certain forums unless you know EXACTLY what you're less yourself in for. Two worst one are:

Indepedence Day - This film is great fun but there are threads that are very dangerous to your health and sanity

Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion the Witch and the Wadrobe: Don't, for the love of peace just don't! They ripped into poor Mr Tumnus like a voodoo doll, took Aslan as really Jesus, took the piss out the kids' looks. Honestly it was war!

Oh hell, I remember those Narnia threads. Flip, man, the violence and the hatred! It was internet death. I hate IMDB. I wrote on them before I joined these ones. Bunch of self-righteous arses, and not half as funny as you lot.

quote:

quote:

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to Sphinx)
Post #: 5
RE: Thing That Annoys Me On Movie Forums - 9/6/2008 9:04:18 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sphinx

Oh hell, I remember those Narnia threads. Flip, man, the violence and the hatred! It was internet death. I hate IMDB. I wrote on them before I joined these ones. Bunch of self-righteous arses, and not half as funny as you lot.

I need to read these Narnia threads. You got any links?

Just like Geoffrey Ingram.

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 6
RE: Thing That Annoys Me On Movie Forums - 9/6/2008 9:19:14 PM   
swordsandsandals

Here is just one anti-tumnus thread http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363771/board/flat/106993902?p=1

But the ones I remembered were the massive religion debates.

Here's one, but I'll trya bit harder later to find some of the ones back when I was in the forums. They were hilarious.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363771/board/flat/101759445?p=1

quote:

quote:

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 7
RE: Thing That Annoys Me On Movie Forums - 9/6/2008 9:23:25 PM   
Rgirvan44

Pick any Braveheart thread on IMDB.

Insane.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 8
RE: Thing That Annoys Me On Movie Forums - 9/6/2008 9:25:07 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

I refuse to go on the IMDb boards now. I used to adore them when I was 15, I stayed on my favourite ones where I made a lot of friends and had some great conversations. Then around the time of the 2005 Oscars, it got really rude, pointless and vicious for no reason. One jerk kept sending me PMs saying I was a cock-sucker but I had no idea who he was! I just got sick of feeling like I had to constantly defend myself so I stayed away for about 2 years. I don't post today, sometimes I browse, if only for a good laugh. I tend to like a lot of stuff in films/TV/etc that most people hate so I always end up just getting pissed off by people's badly spelt insults.

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

Post #: 9
RE: Thing That Annoys Me On Movie Forums - 9/6/2008 9:31:03 PM   
Tech_Noir

I used to go on the Aintitcool talkbacks back in the day, I got loads of hate after suggesting Spiderman won't be all that.

The best was on IMDB though, some young LOTR fan repeatedly saying "Where do you live, I want to fight you".

(in reply to Amelie_Scotland)
Post #: 10
RE: Thing That Annoys Me On Movie Forums - 10/6/2008 8:54:42 AM   
Lightfoot

If you're over 12 years old and haven't been lobotomized, I don't see how anyone could remotely enjoy posting on IMDB. AICN is amusing to read the basement-dwelling dungeon masters having coronaries over who just got cast as their favorite lycra-clad codpiece of doom, but you wouldn't want to try and post anything meaningful there.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 11
RE: Thing That Annoys Me On Movie Forums - 10/6/2008 9:26:45 AM   
krudler

cant stand either imdb or aitc, both populated by trolling hatemongers who have heart attacks because some superhero suit is a slightly darker colour than the comic version, and aitc especially those "FIRST!" assholes, as if sitting on the net and updating a page until a new story appears and you can reply to it first might one day enable you to touch a womans breasts

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to Lightfoot)
Post #: 12
RE: Thing That Annoys Me On Movie Forums - 10/6/2008 9:35:22 AM   
matty_b

quote:

The best was on IMDB though, some young LOTR fan repeatedly saying "Where do you live, I want to fight you".

You never did tell me though...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 13
RE: Thing That Annoys Me On Movie Forums - 10/6/2008 11:45:38 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

When I feel inferior to 15 year olds

When I feel inferior to 15 year olds. I'm older, I have more of a right to be bothered

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 14
RE: Thing That Annoys Me On Movie Forums - 10/6/2008 1:02:35 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: JustinFox

Not sure if anyone has noticed this, and i'm mainly talking about IMDB here but if someone goes on there and says they don't like a really popular film they get ridiculed, eg if I went on there and said I don't like Blade Runner for example, there's always a queue of people to say that i'm wrong etc, this also happens when someone says they like a film that is regarded as rubbish, other films that people are "Protective" over, Lord Of The Rings, Matrix etc, here's an example of what I mean

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083658/board/flat/108106591?p=1

I get your overall point, but the example you give is a poor one. If you said that, then you would be wrong.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to JustinFox)
Post #: 15
RE: Thing That Annoys Me On Movie Forums - 10/6/2008 1:11:06 PM   
DancingClown

I once made the mistake of investigating the message-boards in IMDB on 'The Patriot'.

Worst mistake of my life.

Overall I hate that rancid place. Good for looking up information about the odd film or two but I just cannot believe the levels of hatred, bile, misogyny, racism and general stupidity I have witnessed on those message boards. Plus there don't seem to be any moderators so it seems like a fucking free-for-all.

Over opinionated film-fans can be such a bunch of vile, pompous c**ts.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to JustinFox)
Post #: 16
RE: Thing That Annoys Me On Movie Forums - 10/6/2008 1:57:23 PM   
Cinema_Junkie

I just went on the Lion, Witch and Wardrobe forum on IMDB. One guy gives his opinion after seeing both LWW and The Golden Compass in the same week.

I'm all for people expressing their own opinion, and I also have not seen The Golden Compass, but come on. It was years, and I mean years, before I knew about the biblical parralells in LWW, and I grew up going to church. Calling the film of LWW a part of a "Christian agenda" gets my goat slightly.

But the bit I loved most in that thread is the guy who went "I'm atheist, so try and accuse me of supporting 'imperialist Christian propaganda'. Go on, try."

I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 17
RE: Thing That Annoys Me On Movie Forums - 10/6/2008 4:32:44 PM   
monkeyfish

I don't ever post on IMDb boards, but it is funny sometimes to read the crazy opinions of the morons who post on there (funny for a while anyway, then it just becomes depressing).

That Mr. Tumnus thread was bizarre. I mean, seriously, what the fuck? Somebody actually said this:

quote:

Lucy is the first human that Tumnus has seen. So, by logic, he couldn't already be a pedophile. He doesn't actually sexually molest Lucy. So he isn't a pedophile. The tone is there though, and he looks like he is definitely considering *becoming* a pedophile, so someone should pop over to Narnia and set up warning signs on Tumnus' lawn. Then the beavers could form a lynch mob and burn his house down and Christian justice would be served.

And people take that seriously!

What became of the Empire Script Challenge?

Bring it back, I say!

(in reply to Cinema_Junkie)
Post #: 18
RE: Thing That Annoys Me On Movie Forums - 10/6/2008 4:39:31 PM   
middleburn

Its not as bad here, but just look at the spielberg thread to see how much hatred there is for a differing opinion. And try telling Tech that James Cameron isn't that great and see what happens.

Well...that was fun

(in reply to monkeyfish)
Post #: 19
RE: Thing That Annoys Me On Movie Forums - 10/6/2008 4:42:17 PM   
Rgirvan44

No matter what the film is there will always been one thread on the IMDb that is titled

"Racist?"

And for every actor it is

"Gay?"

Always makes me laugh.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to middleburn)
Post #: 20
RE: Thing That Annoys Me On Movie Forums - 10/6/2008 4:48:04 PM   
Shifty Bench

Or in certain films starring certain actresses, they ask 'is she naked in this?' or on a page of an actress, 'are they real?'

Valid questions, actually, depending on the actress

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 21
RE: Thing That Annoys Me On Movie Forums - 10/6/2008 4:52:48 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: middleburn

Its not as bad here, but just look at the spielberg thread to see how much hatred there is for a differing opinion. And try telling Tech that James Cameron isn't that great and see what happens.

If you're talking about The Abyss, True Lies, Dark Angel or the second half of T2 I'd be in on your side.

(in reply to middleburn)
Post #: 22
RE: Thing That Annoys Me On Movie Forums - 10/6/2008 5:51:06 PM   
Acho

I find the imdb boards hit and miss. There's an awful lot of shite but I think, in fairness, you can find some very good threads there. Just avoid anything that was released in the last 10 years! Some of their more obscure boards can be okay, particularly for the classic films. I've gone through phases of posting there (back when the LOTR pages weren't as insane!) but I just couldn't stick to it full time.

It's usually once a film is released that things so haywire. Best recent example were the boards for The Prestige. They were lovely in advance of the film, as it was just people who'd read the book and wanted to discuss the film, or Nolan/Bale/Jackman, etc fans who wanted to speculate on it too. Limited number of posters, we all got on grand, some really good debates/discussions were going, especially among those of us who'd read the book. Then the film is released and pssht! The whole thing went insane, full of haters and spoilers. It was the exact same for Children of Men.

I'd say only go if you're looking for some specific information about a film, and even then only an older or less popular one. And just use common sense - avoid the "gay/worst film eva" threads, that's where the loonies and immature folk dwell!

Took me a while to get used to the format of the Empire boards, but I do prefer it now. Still discovering some gems when I scroll further down the page, like Bookworms and the Filmmakers threads!

(in reply to JustinFox)
Post #: 23
RE: Thing That Annoys Me On Movie Forums - 10/6/2008 6:52:00 PM   
paul_lfc

Every film on IMDB has a 'Worst Film Ever' topic on the messageboard

(in reply to JustinFox)
Post #: 24
RE: Thing That Annoys Me On Movie Forums - 10/6/2008 7:11:41 PM   
BookJunkie

Step away from the IMDb forums - that way madness lies.

"You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later."

(in reply to paul_lfc)
Post #: 25
RE: Thing That Annoys Me On Movie Forums - 10/6/2008 8:51:24 PM   
Sphinx

quote:

ORIGINAL: monkeyfish

I don't ever post on IMDb boards, but it is funny sometimes to read the crazy opinions of the morons who post on there (funny for a while anyway, then it just becomes depressing).

That Mr. Tumnus thread was bizarre. I mean, seriously, what the fuck? Somebody actually said this:

quote:

Lucy is the first human that Tumnus has seen. So, by logic, he couldn't already be a pedophile. He doesn't actually sexually molest Lucy. So he isn't a pedophile. The tone is there though, and he looks like he is definitely considering *becoming* a pedophile, so someone should pop over to Narnia and set up warning signs on Tumnus' lawn. Then the beavers could form a lynch mob and burn his house down and Christian justice would be served.

Christ, is that still there, how many posts now a billion? Biggest joke was Jesus really being Aslan, an account strengthened my the sacrificial scene and the kids were really the disciples - THE DISCIPLES, PEOPLE!

< Message edited by Sphinx -- 10/6/2008 8:58:19 PM >

Meet The New Boss...Same As The Old Boss

(in reply to monkeyfish)
Post #: 26
RE: Thing That Annoys Me On Movie Forums - 12/6/2008 6:39:53 PM   
Dexter Morgan

Jeez, thanks for the warning people. I'll stick to the Empire forum and not waste to much time at imdb, although it's one of the best site's for movie info.
Most of the posts seem only half thought out and most of the replys are pointless abuse, not debate.

Sod the Onion
http://www.thedailyshow.com/

(in reply to Sphinx)
Post #: 27
RE: Thing That Annoys Me On Movie Forums - 12/6/2008 7:18:44 PM   
paul.mccluskey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

No matter what the film is there will always been one thread on the IMDb that is titled

"Racist?"

And for every actor it is

"Gay?"

Always makes me laugh.

The "Gay?" threads are always really popular !

I only use IMDB to view details on films, directors, actors etc., as well as add titles to My Movies.  I don't post on the boards as much.  I have only 15 posts.  The IMDB message boards aren't as exciting or dynamic as the Empire forum.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 28
RE: Thing That Annoys Me On Movie Forums - 12/6/2008 7:26:22 PM   
darkarius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

quote:

If you're talking about The Abyss, True Lies, Dark Angel or the second half of T2 I'd be in on your side.

how about piranha II : flying killers? 

Nostalgia isnt what it used to be.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 29
RE: Thing That Annoys Me On Movie Forums - 12/6/2008 10:11:41 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: darkarius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

quote:

how about piranha II : flying killers? 

I believe that has some nudity so I'll let it off.

(in reply to darkarius)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Thing That Annoys Me On Movie Forums Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI