Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Last Classic I Watched...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> RE: The Last Classic I Watched... Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Last Classic I Watched... - 3/11/2009 5:33:37 PM   
Nicola1001

Victoria The Great 7/10

(in reply to Nicola1001)
Post #: 121
RE: The Last Classic I Watched... - 6/11/2009 6:25:10 PM   
JohnChard

The Maverick Queen (1956)

Tough gal Kit Banlon opens a hotel and saloon out in frontier Colorado that soon becomes a haven of gamblers and gunfighters. With notable patrons being none other than Butch Cassidy and  The Sundance Kid. Fighting off the romantic advances of Sundance, Kit`s  life gets more interesting when she becomes attracted to a relative of the Younger Brothers' outlaw posse. Or is he? Whispers in the shadows point to the handsome stranger perhaps being a law man on the trail of the infamous Wild Bunch. Kit could very well be jeopardising much more than a unfulfilled romance if she falls in with the stranger.

Directed by genre prolific Joe Kane and based on the novel written by Zane Grey , The Maverick Queen is something of a wasted premise. All the elements are in place for a twisty psychological Western, the story is a sound one and the characters at first glance look to have potential for gusto and intrigue. But it just doesn`t come together, either thru one dimensional male characters or thru lazy writing, it ultimately ends up being a damp squib. A squib briefly sparked by Barbara Stanwyk {Kit} in one of her later career tough feminine roles, and pretty as a picture Mary Murphy who also gets to show a bit of feistyness. But the girls can`t carry the picture alone. Barry Sullivan was a safe and amiable actor, he however was far from being a leading man able to carry a picture, thus here  as the leading protagonist he struggles badly as he tries to make the tepid Kenneth Gamet screeplay work. It`s a surprisingly weak adaptation from the man who wrote The Flying Leathernecks and the hugely enjoyable Coroner Creek, while Kane himself has to take some of the blame for letting the fim plod when it should be zippy. There`s a nice kicker in the finale that saves the piece from rotting at the bottom of the B Western barrell, but it`s just not decent enough to warrant a second glance and both Stanwyck and the audience deserved better. 4/10

"Out you get Hooky, you`ve done your bit"

(in reply to m_er)
Post #: 122
RE: The Last Classic I Watched... - 7/11/2009 10:15:46 PM   
TheGodfather

The Love Parade
Ernst Lubitsch pioneerd in Hollywood on the musical front with The Love Parade, his first talkie and the first Hollywood in wich music was used in a narrative way.
That narrative is pretty slim: a military attaché from the fictional country of Sylvania is being sent bacck to his home country and needs to report to his queen (who is still unmarried) about his many affairs. You can pretty much fill in the rest of the storyline.
Maurice Chavellier gives, in his breakthrough role, excellent. It looks like this role is made especially for him. His chemistry with the debuting Jeannette MacDonald is present almost every second and the songs that are woven into the film are great fun.
The only downside to the film is that Lubitsch dragged his film on a bit too much. The 109 minute running time could`ve easily been a bit shorter.
A nice acquintance with the Lubitsch musicals.

7,2/10

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to JohnChard)
Post #: 123
RE: The Last Classic I Watched... - 10/11/2009 6:44:38 PM   
Nicola1001

Sixty Glorious Years 7/10

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 124
RE: The Last Classic I Watched... - 13/11/2009 10:34:28 PM   
JohnChard

Timberjack (1955) 3/10

Awful plot, awful acting, cheese songs and the Trucolor print dulls the Glacier National Park location work.

A low point for director Joseph Kane and leading man Sterling Hayden.

(in reply to Nicola1001)
Post #: 125
RE: The Last Classic I Watched... - 16/11/2009 11:06:59 AM   
rick_7

I take it that not even Vera Ralston's Brando-esque reinvention of acting can save it. "Non-acting", I think her style was called - a key influence on Glen Campbell and Hayden Christensen.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to JohnChard)
Post #: 126
RE: The Last Classic I Watched... - 19/11/2009 10:27:38 AM   
JohnChard

quote:

I think her style was called - a key influence on Glen Campbell and Hayden Christensen.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 127
The Last Classic I Watched... - 19/11/2009 10:35:02 AM   
JohnChard

Latest viewings...

Comanche 1956 6.5/10
The Dark Corner 1946 7/10
Terror In A Texas Town 1958 6.5/10
The Man from Laramie 1955 9/10
The Far Country 1954 8/10

Back To The Future Trilogy

1.10/10
2.8/10
3.9/10

(in reply to JohnChard)
Post #: 128
Biblical Greg Peck. - 7/12/2009 6:46:51 PM   
JohnChard

David and Bathsheba (1954)

The 23rd Psalm

David and Bathsheba is a  lavish Hollywood Biblical picture produced out of 20th Century Fox by Darryl F. Zanuck, directed by Henry King and starring Gregory Peck {King David}, Susan Hayward (Bathsheba), Raymond Massey (Nathan),  Kieron Moore (Uriah) and Jayne Meadows (Michal).

The film is based  around the second Old Testament book of Samuel from the Holy Bible. It follows King David, who as a child had slain the giant  Goliath, and now we find him in adulthood as the second King of Israel. A tough and assured King, David however has affairs of the heart causing great problems. For once he spies Bathsheba taking a shower {re;bath}, it `s the start of a journey encompassing adultery and betrayal; a journey that will end in the judgement of God being called upon.

Typically for the genre, David & Bathsheba is a large, grandiose  production, from its excellent set designs to it`s positively gorgeous Technicolor photography {Leon Shamroy}, it sits nicely with the best  the genre has to offer for production values. Untypically, tho, the film is sedately paced and relies on 99% of its worth being driven purely by dialogue. This is not one for action fans or anyone who needs some swash to go with their buckle. This is a very humanist picture, in fact lets not beat around the burning bush here, it`s a Biblical love story flecked with sins of the heart. But that is no bad thing at all,  because it`s very well acted and it be a fine story directed with knowing skill by the often forgotten Henry King. And although some of the dialogue is admittedly cringe inducing, the character flow is never interupted as Phillip Dunne`s Oscar nominated screenplay holds the attention throughout.

Sometimes a forgotten picture in terms of the Biblical/Swords & Sandals genres, most likely because it is a talky piece that has heart as its main selling point. But really it`s well worth the time of any interested genre fan. 7/10

< Message edited by JohnChard -- 7/12/2009 6:48:16 PM >

(in reply to m_er)
Post #: 129
RE: Biblical Greg Peck. - 7/12/2009 7:59:47 PM   
Zatoichi

ROSEMARY'S BABY (1968)
Director: Roman Palanski

Well, it's taken me long enough to see this! And was it worth it? Despite a few gripes, most definetly. I feel, after the build up - and the film really is an extended build up - that the conclusion left me wanting more, but part of me is saying that this is also a strength. {SPOILERS} Rosemary's cry of "what have you done to his eyes!?" is one of those great stand-up-and-pay-attention moments, and aside from the briefest of flashbacks to the eyes in her dream we see nothing more. Like I said, I am constantly returning to the idea that this was a major strength. {SPOILERS}

I had heard a lot about the air of menace surrounding the film and this I definetly felt. A second viewing should prove more beneficial, but for now, I have to say it was one of the greatest so-called horror films I have seen. There was no blood required. No shrieking blondes. Just pure menace. And this is exactly what I appreciate from a horror film. 

< Message edited by Zatoichi -- 7/12/2009 8:00:30 PM >

"You're so consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to fit your meglo-maniacal cosmology."
"Scully, are you coming on to me?"

(in reply to JohnChard)
Post #: 130
RE: Biblical Greg Peck. - 10/12/2009 12:26:57 AM   
siegfried

Polanski was astute enough to realise that nothing he could have shown, however graphic, could be more terrifying than what we could conjure up in our own minds.
The finale, with Rosemary rocking the cradle and singing a lullabye to the Antichrist, never fails to bring a chill to my spine.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 131
RE: Biblical Greg Peck. - 14/12/2009 2:44:55 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

All The King's Men - 4/5

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 132
RE: Biblical Greg Peck. - 5/1/2010 7:56:15 PM   
Nicola1001

Easter Parade (1948) 7/10

Anastasia (1956) 7/10

< Message edited by Nicola1001 -- 5/1/2010 7:57:52 PM >

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 133
RE: Biblical Greg Peck. - 6/1/2010 6:25:08 PM   
Nicola1001

San Quentin (1937) 8/10

Bonnie And Clyde (1967) 5/10

(in reply to Nicola1001)
Post #: 134
RE: Biblical Greg Peck. - 7/1/2010 8:00:32 PM   
Nicola1001

Frenzy (1972) 7/10

< Message edited by Nicola1001 -- 7/1/2010 8:01:11 PM >

(in reply to Nicola1001)
Post #: 135
RE: Biblical Greg Peck. - 8/1/2010 7:35:50 PM   
Nicola1001

Passage To Marseille (1944) 8/10

(in reply to Nicola1001)
Post #: 136
RE: The Last Classic I Watched... - 11/1/2010 1:59:59 PM   
m_er

Paths Of Glory (1957) 9/10. a thought-provoking war drama.

WHOA. I don't believe what I'm hearing. Check out the BALLS on this kid. Hey Spider, this is for you.

My movies
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=4044070

(in reply to Nicola1001)
Post #: 137
RE: The Last Classic I Watched... - 19/1/2010 8:06:32 PM   
Nicola1001

The Asphalt Jungle (1950) 7/10

(in reply to m_er)
Post #: 138
RE: The Last Classic I Watched... - 21/1/2010 10:42:15 PM   
TheGodfather

The Searchers
Rightfully voted as the fourth best film of all time by a group of international film critics in a Sight and Sound poll, John Ford`s epic western with John Wayne in the lead role approaches perfection.
It`s a brilliant mix of a whole ranges of different genres. Of course there is western there but it goes a lot deeper than that, it`s much more layered. There`s also drama and humour in it, mixed up with road trip and a tiny bit of film noir-ish elements.
All of that is poured in breathtaking widescreen images and surrounded with a beautiful score. Add that all up and you got yourself a masterpiece.
All these descriptions and reviews do the film short. You just have to undergo this.

9,0/10

What other John Ford films are worthy of a purchase?so far The Searches and Young Mr. Lincoln are the only two I got from him.

(in reply to Nicola1001)
Post #: 139
RE: The Last Classic I Watched... - 22/1/2010 3:59:58 PM   
Nicola1001

12 Angry Men (1957) 9/10

Post #: 140
RE: The Last Classic I Watched... - 22/1/2010 4:34:24 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheGodfather

The Searchers
Rightfully voted as the fourth best film of all time by a group of international film critics in a Sight and Sound poll, John Ford`s epic western with John Wayne in the lead role approaches perfection.
It`s a brilliant mix of a whole ranges of different genres. Of course there is western there but it goes a lot deeper than that, it`s much more layered. There`s also drama and humour in it, mixed up with road trip and a tiny bit of film noir-ish elements.
All of that is poured in breathtaking widescreen images and surrounded with a beautiful score. Add that all up and you got yourself a masterpiece.
All these descriptions and reviews do the film short. You just have to undergo this.

9,0/10

What other John Ford films are worthy of a purchase?so far The Searches and Young Mr. Lincoln are the only two I got from him.

All of them.

Start with:
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
The Grapes of Wrath
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
Wagon Master
How Green Was My Valley
My Darling Clementine

I'm glad you thought so highly of The Searchers. Lovely review. My favourite film, that.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Post #: 141
RE: The Last Classic I Watched... - 22/1/2010 6:26:29 PM   
TheGodfather

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7
All of them.

Start with:
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
The Grapes of Wrath
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
Wagon Master
How Green Was My Valley
My Darling Clementine

Thanks, will go after them

quote:

I'm glad you thought so highly of The Searchers. Lovely review. My favourite film, that.

thank you

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 142
RE: The Last Classic I Watched... - 22/1/2010 8:52:52 PM   
TheGodfather

House
A Japanese schoolgirl, Angel, goes on a summer trip with her. But when her dad tells her that his soon-to-be-wife will join them on their trip, Angel doesn`t wanna go anymore. Instead, she and 6 of her friends go visit her Aunt who she hadn`t seen in a long time. This aunt lives all alone in a big house...

As you can see from the synopsis, the story (that has all kinds of genres from melodrama to musical and from horror to humour) isn`t House`s strongest selling point. But that`s more than made up by the visual aspect of the film. It`s one big trip, with quite the avant-gardistic editing.
It has to be one of the strangest and most intriguing horror films I`ve ever seen.

The picture quality of the new Masters Of Cinema dvd edition of excellent. The many and bright colours in the film are perfectly shown here. If Criterion is gonna release the blu-ray later this year, it`s gonna be a big party.
For now, the dvd from MoC is highly recommended. For me the first big discovery of the year.

8,5/10

Ich Möchte Kein Mann Sein
The first, and shortest, film from the Lubitsch in Berlin box from Masters Of Cinema. I wasn`t familiar with the older, German werk from Lubitsch but this only 45 minute long film was a good start.
Entertaining, pretty progressive (especially for that time) and supported by a great piano score, this is a very watchable silent film even for people who normally aren`t that into silent films.
If the other five films from the box are as good as this one than I`m a happy camper and this`ll be a great addition to every collection.

7,5/10

(in reply to m_er)
Post #: 143
RE: The Last Classic I Watched... - 30/1/2010 3:53:07 PM   
Nicola1001

Leave Her To Heaven (1945) 5/10

Post #: 144
RE: The Last Classic I Watched... - 1/2/2010 9:45:54 PM   
TheGodfather

An American In Paris
Vincente Minelli`s other musical that`s set in Paris, Gigi, I had already seen last year and I really liked it. I wrote back then that I was curious to see Minelli`s other musicals. Today it was time for one of his most famous: An American In Paris.
Once again, I really enjoyed it. Gene Kelly is great as ever, Leslie Caron (who also plays the lead part in Gigi) is really cute as Kelly`s love interest and the supporting parts are filled with humour.
The sets, the colourfull costumes, the music: everything fits great together. All of that comes to a great explosion in the 18-minute long ballet sequence at the end of the film,completely goreographed by Gene Kelly self. A brilliant combination of music, dance and the sets (brought to life beautifully) that covers the complete last part of the film without being spoken a word in it. The last scene where there is being spoken in, can be seen (with some imagination) as a prequel of sorts to Casablanca.
A true joy to watch.

8,8/10

(in reply to Nicola1001)
Post #: 145
RE: The Last Classic I Watched... - 2/2/2010 10:58:59 AM   
DazDaMan

Absolutely brilliant.  Packs more into its 70min running time than most modern horror films can think of. 

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

Post #: 146
RE: The Last Classic I Watched... - 8/2/2010 7:57:35 PM   
CU@theOscars

Until recently, I had always been a bit put off by classic cinema. I used to find that because of the black and white, the storyline had to be very engaging. I found said storyline in The Third Man. I looked up the BFI's Top 100 British Films of all time, and this gem of a Brit was sitting right at the top of the pile.

The plot of a writer investigating the mysterious death of a friend caught my eye, so it was on to HMV to buy it. After not even 10 minutes, I was hooked. The beauty of post-war Vienna, the characters and their traits, and Orson Welles' cheeky grin. An amazing film which is a classic of Brit Noir. The lighting is fantastic, the cobbled narrow alleys and wide, open environments and the architecture...it is all so captivating.

British cinema has always produced the highest quality films. Even so, it's hard to believe that they once made them as good as this.

Philippe Petit: It's impossible, that's sure. So let's start working.

(in reply to m_er)
Post #: 147
RE: The Last Classic I Watched... - 8/2/2010 11:04:39 PM   
DazDaMan

Dracula & Frankenstein (both 1931)

I remember not being very impressed by either of these the first time I saw them (a good fifteen years ago, perhaps).

However, on further evaluation, I've come to appreciate them a bit more. Both are ambitious, if very much skewed, takes on their original source material (if I remember rightly, both these early adaptations were based on plays). Dracula's performances are perhaps a little more stilted, although Dwight Frye as the demented Renfield deserves mention (he's a character often omitted from subsequent adaptations).

Atmospheric the film certainly is, though, and you can't really fault Edward van Sloan and Bela Lugosi (but he's still not as good as Sir Christopher Lee! )

Interestingly, the DVD I have gives you an option to view the film with a new score composed a few years ago - I've not tried this yet, but it must be better than what sounds like a bad rendition of Swan Lake!

Frankenstein is perhaps even further deviated from its source, adding characters, changing names and endings (again, due to its origins as a play). But the effects for bringing The Creature to life are pretty dazzling even today (in fact, they were the blueprint for many future adapations!), and the performances are decent enough. Boris Karloff, of course, adds a suitable vulnerability as well as menace to The Creature.

< Message edited by DazDaMan -- 8/2/2010 11:05:07 PM >

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to CU@theOscars)
Post #: 148
RE: The Last Classic I Watched... - 9/2/2010 1:08:03 PM   
rick_7

Nice work. I think Frankenstein holds up well today, especially the uncut version, and the first two sequels (Bride and Son) even more so. Dracula's a bit stagey, with a weak supporting cast. The Spanish version, filmed on the same sets at night, is slightly better, though the chap playing the titular vampire isn't as good as Lugosi, and he looks like Carlos Queiroz.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 149
RE: The Last Classic I Watched... - 9/2/2010 1:33:25 PM   
josh_bonito

Swiss Family Robinson (1940) - a bit of a disappointment, seeing as I've been trying to track down this film for years. As a kid I loved the book, and always enjoyed the 1960 Disney version. This is awfully creaky and wastes a strong cast - in particular, it's the first time I've not adored Thomas Mitchell or Freddie Bartholomew. A few good moments and undeniably historical interest. To be fair, I watched a particularly creaky print on Youtube, hardly the best way to enjoy any film - 4/10

(in reply to m_er)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> RE: The Last Classic I Watched... Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI