Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 6/5/2009 7:37:58 AM   
JoeyPottr

Giant, very good. 9/10
Topper 5/10 Cary Grant's not in it enough
White Heat 8/10

wandering through the tall grass of life

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 61
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 18/5/2009 7:32:57 PM   
Nicola1001

The Trouble With Harry 8/10

The Man In Grey 6/10

(in reply to JoeyPottr)
Post #: 62
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 23/5/2009 11:33:02 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I Married A Witch - 4/5

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Nicola1001)
Post #: 63
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 24/5/2009 2:46:38 PM   
Nicola1001

The Stars Look Down 5/10

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 64
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 24/5/2009 11:09:39 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

The Night Of The Generals - 4/5
The Railway Children - 5/5

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to Nicola1001)
Post #: 65
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 25/5/2009 1:06:23 PM   
mafyou

The Wild Bunch - 9/10

Et In Arcadia Ego

Post #: 66
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 28/5/2009 7:25:17 PM   
Nicola1001

Platinum Blonde 4/10

Harriet Craig 6/10

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 67
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 29/5/2009 1:22:50 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nicola1001

Platinum Blonde 4/10

I think that face just about covers it. How so?

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to Nicola1001)
Post #: 68
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 30/5/2009 8:39:21 PM   
Nicola1001

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nicola1001

Platinum Blonde 4/10

I think that face just about covers it. How so?

I just didn't really enjoy it

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 69
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 30/5/2009 9:16:55 PM   
mafyou

The Awful Truth - 8/10

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Nicola1001)
Post #: 70
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 2/6/2009 7:21:47 PM   
Nicola1001

The Fall Of The Roman Empire  7/10

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 71
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 2/6/2009 9:55:20 PM   
AngryDude92

Aphalt Jungle 9/10
The Searchers 10/10
Les infants du paradise 4/10
The Treasure of Sierra Madre 10/10
Umberto D 9/10

There was once a god who walked the earth, his name was Warren Oates

(in reply to Nicola1001)
Post #: 72
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 5/6/2009 6:57:33 PM   
Nicola1001

The Lodger 7/10

(in reply to AngryDude92)
Post #: 73
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 6/6/2009 6:22:44 AM   
siegfried

To Be Or Not To Be 5/5

Twentieth Century 5/5

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to Nicola1001)
Post #: 74
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 7/6/2009 1:56:10 AM   
Tank Boy

Watched Rashomon the other night, my first experience of Akira Kurosawa. Impressive, beautifully shot. Also have Ran to watch.

Chuck's Culture Carnival!

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 75
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 7/6/2009 5:54:54 PM   
Nicola1001

Calamity Jane 9/10

(in reply to Tank Boy)
Post #: 76
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 8/6/2009 2:52:52 PM   
sanchia

A modern classic

Barton Fink

7/10

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Nicola1001)
Post #: 77
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 9/6/2009 12:52:20 PM   
TheDudeAbides

The Asphalt Jungle - John Huston- 1950

Breathtakingly filmed noir, superbly acted - particularly by wily old dog Sam Jaffe (playing Doc Riedenschneider, a great name later appropriated by the Coens for Tony Shalhoub's character in The Man Who Wasn't There). Flashy but with real substance, a clever and intricate thriller miles ahead of it's time in terms of complexity and sophistication. My only, very minor, complaint, would be that it occasionally feels longer than it is, but that's probably more my 21st Century attention span than anything else .

9.5/10

Reviews, film chat and the like at http://resilientlittlemuscle.blogspot.com

The Oxford Student - proud home of a film section somewhere between Siskel and Ebert: http://oxfordstudent.com/?cat=11

"Hammy is a stretch, I personally think he was just over zealous."
- IMDb reviewer on Dick Powell

"Good night, Papa. Machs gut."

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 78
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 11/6/2009 4:34:12 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

In the last week or so.

Army Of Shadows/ (1969, Jean-Pierre Melville) - 4/5
Becket (1964, Peter Glenville) - 4/5
Black Narcissus (1947, Michael Powell/Emeric Pressburger) - 4/5
Scarface (1932, Howard Hawks) - 3/5
The Victors (1963, Carl Foreman) - 3/5
The Killing (1956, Stanley Kubrick) - 4/5
On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969, Peter R. Hunt) - 3/5
Hell In The Pacific (1968, John Boorman) - 4/5

Much more better!

(in reply to TheDudeAbides)
Post #: 79
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 15/6/2009 12:35:19 PM   
Heskin Radiophonic

The 39 Steps - 4/5
Spartacus - 5/5

setting the recorder for Hell Drivers today...

Heskin Radiophonic - Wait For No Man
new ep free download

Post #: 80
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 16/6/2009 4:09:55 PM   
AngryDude92

Pandora's Box 9/10
Frankenstein 7/10
Bride of Frankensein 9/10
The Chase 9/10

There was once a god who walked the earth, his name was Warren Oates

(in reply to Heskin Radiophonic)
Post #: 81
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 16/6/2009 9:59:57 PM   
TheGodfather

Sleeping Beauty
One of the few Disney classic`s that I hadn`t seen before, even though I own the dvd since the day of its release. So I made up for that tonight. When the film is finished, the one question remains: why on earth haven`t I watched this one beffore? Because it has all the ingredients that make the old animated Disney films so likeable: gorgeous animations in an extreme wide aspect ration (in wich you already see from the beginning that this is something different than you`re used to from the old Disney films), beautiful and funny songs and of course a happy story.
Lovely, highly enjoyable from the first right until the last second.

7,8/10

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to JoeyPottr)
Post #: 82
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 19/6/2009 1:28:07 AM   
TheDudeAbides

The Women (1939), Cukor

Plot: Mary Haines finds out her husband is cheating through her gossip queen friends, goes to Reno to get divorce. Realises how she cannot possibly live without her man, even though he's a cheating rat bastard - after all, her annoying tendency to remain the same is what drove him away in the first place, right? Surprisingly frequent laughs ensue.

Almost perfect satirical comedy, a look at the sheer bitchiness of female society which even 70 years on is still painfully accurate. The all-female cast is absolutely fantastic, with Norma Shearer giving the film its dramatic fuel while the big laughs come from a shining supporting cast. Rosalind Russell absolutely steals the show as queen bitch Sylvia, whose entrance to her cousin's party sets the tone for the entire film:

Edith Potter: [Wiping her hands on towel] Oh, cheap Chinese embroidery, you know I'll bet Peggy gave her these...
Sylvia Fowler: It wouldn't be so bad if only Mary's friends knew we could keep our mouths shut.
Edith Potter: I know plenty, I'd never breathe about my friend's husbands.
Sylvia Fowler: Oh so do I!
[They both turn around and look at each other]
Edith Potter: Well you know I adore Mary!
Sylvia Fowler: I worship her, were not only cousins, She's my dearest friend in the world, after all we WERE raised together!
[Turns around quickly]
Sylvia Fowler: Oh Edith I forgot to tell you...
[Whispers to Edith]
Mary Haines: Break it up girls! Break it up!
Edith Potter: Darling!
Mary Haines: Hello!
Edith Potter: You're so slim I could kill you.

Paper cannot do justice to the pure frenetic energy of this exchange, one which I have seen replicated in bathrooms and in classrooms and in hairdressers wherever more than one female happens to be present (myself woefully included), and the spirit of which I have never seen captured better. Russell's knack for physical comedy, not something which frequently tickles my personal funnybone, had me laughing out loud several times, particularly the moment when she is so preoccupied by the gossip she is eavesdropping that she walks into a wall - a simple gag performed to perfection. Also worth a mention is Mary Boland, hysterical as the absurd dowager wailing 'L'amour, l'amour!' at every opportunity.

The direction is unintrusive on Cukor's part, and one gets the feeling he is simply winding up this uniquely gifted cast and letting them go. There are some flashier moments for him, most notably the long, intricate tracking shot through a beauty spa which begins the film and which is a real knockout. Then, the ending, a breathtakingly energetic and very funny scene, is filmed all inside one large room with great verve and vigour by Cukor. The film is beautiful to look at, a treasure trove of striking and occasionally eye-popping 1940s get-ups, although I'm not entirely sure what the point of including a 10+ minute colour sequence of a fashion show was.

The great flaw of this picture comes not from its technical presentation or its performances, but from some horrendously jarring moments of pre-pre-pre-feminist attitudes. In fact, some of the opinions expressed are practically Neolithic. Modern viewers will no doubt feel relieved when Norma Shearer's character reacts to her mother's advice to ignore her husband's affair with a tirade condemning such reactionary ideas and affirming the equality of the sexes. However, we are later treated to some shockingly outdated gems on marriage - my personal favourite (!) being one of the would-be divorcees telling her husband she is pregnant and then exclaiming raptuously to her friends "When I get home, I'm going to do EVERYTHING John says!". Lordy. However, this is an unavoidable flaw as time marches on and should not detract from the enjoyment of the film. In fact, the incongruity of these outdated opinions to a modern audience might even add to the humour, albeit unintentionally.

For a superbly-acted satire on the complexities and paradoxes of female friendship, look no further. As Joan Crawford's character declares in the final denouement: "There's a name for you, ladies, but it isn't used in high society... outside of a kennel."

9/10 (less one for disappointingly mousy attitude towards male adultery which leads to some unsatisying plot resolutions)

< Message edited by TheDudeAbides -- 19/6/2009 1:29:57 AM >

The Oxford Student - proud home of a film section somewhere between Siskel and Ebert: http://oxfordstudent.com/?cat=11

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 83
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 19/6/2009 10:47:21 AM   
rick_7

Great review. My only quibble is whether viewing it through the prism of 21st-century attitudes is really a legitimate thing to do. Having said that, screenwriter Anita Loos has considerable form in the morally-dubious-pre-feminism stakes, having penned The Barbarian, in which Myrna Loy elopes with a charming young Arabian rapist. I suppose the question is whether The Women was behind the times even in 1939, which isn't something I feel qualified to answer properly... though my feeling is "probably not". Certainly the film wouldn't work unless the women's lives revolved around men, and they had a good deal of spare time on their hands to pretty themselves and bitch intensely. Whilst I think adultery is generally the preserve of the dickhead, it wasn't considered so contemptible in the '30s. But as I said, a fine write-up of an excellent movie.

< Message edited by rick_7 -- 22/6/2009 9:34:01 AM >

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to TheDudeAbides)
Post #: 84
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 19/6/2009 6:26:01 PM   
TheDudeAbides

You're right, I am being a little unreasonable. Still, I was disappointed that after setting up a progressive attitude early on, when Mary argues that a woman shouldn't have to overlook adultery nowadays, then completely forgets about this at the end.

However, it's a very interesting argument for the now out-of-fashion 'fight for your man' doctrine. I wish IMDb had it on their list of quotes, but there's a breathtakingly skewed speech from one of the women about how the cheating husband is a helpless victim of this man-eating vamp, and a wife's duty is to rescue him

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 85
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 21/6/2009 10:02:49 AM   
TheGodfather

Yesterday:

L'année Dernière à Marienbad (Last Year At Marienbad)
The first time I saw this (about 2 years ago) I was completely stunned. I had never seen something so beautiful, so strange and elusive before. Now that the Criterion dvd is released it was time to see if that opinion still stands. The answer is YES!
What a fantastic film this is. From the first moment, with those whispering words, you`re grabbed by the throat. The style of the film with its gorgeous and at times unusual compositions, the music and the brilliant acting. Everything is super.
Afterwards you ask yourself what it exactly is that you`ve seen, the pieces all fit together. The great thing about it is that with this viewing you feel the same way about that, only that now you have a whole different opinion on it. That you can keep on watching the film over and over again.
The biggest mysterie in cinema history? probably.
An absolute masterpiece that should be in anybody`s collection.

10/10

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to JoeyPottr)
Post #: 86
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 5/7/2009 7:11:54 AM   
Tank Boy

L&H's Block-Heads. Wonderful.

Chuck's Culture Carnival!

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 87
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 8/7/2009 2:52:28 AM   
siegfried

Over the past week or so I've rewatched some of my favourite musicals:

Singin' In The Rain 5/5

The Band Wagon 5/5

Love Me Tonight 5/5

One Hour With You 4/5

Monte Carlo 4/5

Gigi 5/5

Bliss!

< Message edited by siegfried -- 8/7/2009 2:54:10 AM >

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

(in reply to Tank Boy)
Post #: 88
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 8/7/2009 6:21:04 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Well we see the end of your musicals list in Top 10s, Siegfried?

Much more better!

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 89
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 13/7/2009 8:17:13 AM   
siegfried

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Well we see the end of your musicals list in Top 10s, Siegfried?

I think after so much time I should go back and start the whole thing from scratch.
A combination of work pressures, a bout of ill health and, I must admit, laziness, have all contributed to my not finishing the list. I am ashamed of myself, and apologise, and will do my best to complete it in the near future.

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI