Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff Page: <<   < prev  20 21 22 23 [24]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 25/1/2014 4:44:31 PM   
Judge

Sunset Boulevard - 8/10

(in reply to Cat Lady)
Post #: 691
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 20/2/2014 4:34:53 AM   
Peregrine Took

Written On The Wind 9/10 In my opinion, Douglas Sirk's finest achievement.

There is a theory which states that if anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is there it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. Another theory states that this has already happened

(in reply to Judge)
Post #: 692
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 29/4/2014 8:57:55 AM   
Chronicle

A Bout de Souffle

After reading about how this film was a milestone in cinema history I decided to check it out. But I just couldn't get into it. I believe that this is one of those films you can only enjoy if you saw it in the period it came out. It just seemed kind of messy and overacted to me at some points.

7/10

(in reply to Peregrine Took)
Post #: 693
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 29/4/2014 8:47:32 PM   
TheGodfather

Not per se. I watched it for the first time about 8 years ago (the UK dvd at the time) and loved it right away. Was my first time I saw a Godard picture,loved his films ever since.

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to Chronicle)
Post #: 694
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 16/6/2014 12:21:06 PM   
Dr Lenera

Was never too keen on A Bout de Souffle and I've seen the thing four times!

The Third Man 9.5/10 Gets better every time.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 695
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 21/6/2014 7:16:04 AM   
Peregrine Took

Orpheus 5/5

Manhattan (One of Woody Allen's finest achievements. Both funny and very touching.) 5/5

Nothing Sacred (Anything with the great Carole Lombard is worth a watch.) 4/5

The Most Dangerous Game (Apart from a rather over the top performance by Leslie Banks, still a terrifically suspenseful film. Criterion have done a marvellous restoration.) 4/5

Trouble In Paradise (The great Ernst Lubitsch at his best.) 5/5

There is a theory which states that if anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is there it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. Another theory states that this has already happened

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 696
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 22/6/2014 5:00:13 PM   
Ax101

Rebecca- Hitchcock again proves why he is the master of suspense. Although I think this film has one of the most overrated twist endings of all time but that is more the fault of the book. I'd give it a 7/10.

Post #: 697
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 23/6/2014 1:16:47 PM   
Pandora

Plein soleil with Alain Delon - basically the first version of The Talented Mr Ripley. Delon's performance is terrific. And man, he was young then! Really liked it, so 9/10.

(in reply to Ax101)
Post #: 698
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 26/6/2014 5:33:07 AM   
Peregrine Took

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pandora

Plein soleil with Alain Delon - basically the first version of The Talented Mr Ripley. Delon's performance is terrific. And man, he was young then! Really liked it, so 9/10.

It was his first starring role, and I agree with you, it's an excellent film, far better in my opinion than Minghella's version, which I found slow, dull and completely lacking in tension.

(in reply to Pandora)
Post #: 699
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 29/6/2014 12:53:09 PM   
Ax101

The 39 Steps (1935)

Holds up well for its time but not as good as I remember it being and certainly not one of Hitch's finer efforts- 7/10

Post #: 700
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 24/7/2014 2:40:27 AM   
Peregrine Took

The Merry Widow (1934) Ernst Lubitsch's finest musical, with Maurice Chevalier and Jeanette MacDonald at their sparkling best. Quite risqué for its time.

Island Of Lost Souls (1932) By far the best version of H. G. Wells' Island Of Doctor Moreau, with a chilling performance by Charles Laughton. Once again, Criterion have done a superb restoration job.

(in reply to Ax101)
Post #: 701
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 25/7/2014 7:32:49 AM   
Julian23

Casablanca - the 1942 classic film.
The story is set in unoccupied Africa during the early days of World War - II. An American expatriate meets a former lover, with subsequent unforeseen eventualities.

Post #: 702
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 27/7/2014 8:20:16 PM   
TheGodfather

quote:

ORIGINAL: Julian23

Casablanca - the 1942 classic film.
The story is set in unoccupied Africa during the early days of World War - II. An American expatriate meets a former lover, with subsequent unforeseen eventualities.

What did you think about the film?

(in reply to Julian23)
Post #: 703
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 29/7/2014 9:53:59 PM   
TheGodfather

Sommarnattens leende (Smiles of A Summer Night)
This film was Bergman`s big international break. After this succes, Svensk Filmindustri gave him carte blanche and so finally he could make his (possibly) best known film: The Seventh Seal.
Where the succes for this films comes from is pretty much a mystery to me. It`s a light film but it couldn`t really satisfy me. For some reason I just couldn`t get into it. The characters weren`t all that interesting, the story is too predictable and (most importantly) too long-winded.
Maybe I just wasn`t in the right mood, maybe it`ll grow on me with repeated viewings.
Whatever the case: for me this was Bergman`s least film I`ve seen so far.

6,5/10

Jungfrukällan (The Virgin Spring)
The tale of a young woman in medieval Sweden who needs to take on a journey through the woods to the church.
Without music and with a pretty simple story Bergman tells a story of faith,fate and revenge in an intense and gripping film that`s beautifully lit and shot. Bergman shows, without shying from anything, with some violent scenes to what Man (and religion?) is capable of.
They are images and scenes that makes you really want to look away but at the same time Bergman forces you to keep watching, images that will haunt you and stay with you long after the film is over.
And so it shows that not always a director`s best known films are his best.

8,8/10

(in reply to Judge)
Post #: 704
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 5/8/2014 10:58:46 PM   
TheGodfather

Die 3 Groschen-Oper (The Threepenny Opera)
Fun and light film from G.W. Pabst with, of course, German actors that is set in Victorian London.
It being well acted and having a great story make this into a film that is an easy and entertaining watch. Nothing shocking but not bad at all.

6,8/10

(in reply to Judge)
Post #: 705
RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff - 14/8/2014 3:03:13 PM   
janedavy

Yesterday after I heard about Lauren Bacall's death, I watched at "Written on the Wind" (1956).

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 706
Page:   <<   < prev  20 21 22 23 [24]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff Page: <<   < prev  20 21 22 23 [24]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI