Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 12/2/2012 6:04:49 PM   
Saltire

Rope (1948)

Experimental Hitchcock film that told the story of two egotistic kids who kill someone they think is inferior to them then have clues around their flat and the corpse hidden in a visible chest while they host a party. James Stewart plays their old college headmaster who is more than their intellectual equal and gets suspicious as the night goes on. Short, but enjoyable enough though not one of the true great Hitchcock films, even though it had its moments.

6/10

The Music Box (1932)

Silly Laurel and Hardy short where the useless duo struggle to deliver a piano up some stairs and into a flat. I don't need to go into this as we all know what to expect from them and it was stupid and fun.

6/10

(in reply to efc91)
Post #: 511
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 15/2/2012 8:38:53 PM   
Saltire

Strangers on a Train (1951)

This film I felt was a bit slow to get going; I know the great man Hitch liked to do that occasionally, but for me it dragged out way too long. Decent enough premise and the performances were good, but not one of Hitch's best.

5/10

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 512
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 17/2/2012 4:08:16 AM   
Saltire

Ninotchka (1939)

Cracking comedy with Geta Garbo and Melvyn Douglas about a staunch Soviet girl who falls for a French Count.

7/10

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 513
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 17/2/2012 9:17:16 PM   
sanctumest

Your comments on rope made me revisit it. Good story, and typically ambitious, but for me it was let down by the performances of the main protagonists (slaps own face for not researching names!), just a bit wooden.

This led me to watch Rear Window. Every time I see this I find something new to smile about, it's astounding how Hitchcock balances all the moods and tension with such a limited setup. Always a pleasure!

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 514
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 17/2/2012 10:44:24 PM   
Saltire

Yeah I agree about the performances on Rope, they weren't anything to write home about, one of the guys who was in that was in Strangers on a Train as well though I felt he was better in that even though it for me was an inferior film.

Rear Window is my favourite Hitchcock movie and have not seen it in ages - will need to revisit it soon!

(in reply to sanctumest)
Post #: 515
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 19/2/2012 10:53:02 PM   
siegfried

I've always felt that Strangers On A Train is one of the best things Hitchcock ever did. Unlike you, it gripped me right from the get go and never let up.
The premise is fascinating, and the way that the Master builds suspense by intercutting between the tennis match and the search for the lighter is masterly. Also, the finale on the runaway merry-go-round is one of the most riveting sequences he ever directed.
What really makes it for me, though, is Robert Walker's performance as the architypal "naughty boy" Bruno Anthony. Surely one of the great villains in Hitchcock's canon.
For me it's a 5/5.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 516
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 20/2/2012 10:19:23 AM   
efc91

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried

I've always felt that Strangers On A Train is one of the best things Hitchcock ever did. Unlike you, it gripped me right from the get go and never let up.
The premise is fascinating, and the way that the Master builds suspense by intercutting between the tennis match and the search for the lighter is masterly. Also, the finale on the runaway merry-go-round is one of the most riveting sequences he ever directed.
What really makes it for me, though, is Robert Walker's performance as the architypal "naughty boy" Bruno Anthony. Surely one of the great villains in Hitchcock's canon.
For me it's a 5/5.

I couldn't agree more with you. Strangers on a Train is possibly my favourite Hitchcock film. I also enjoy Rope, its not perfect but I enjoy watching for Hitch's experimental filming techniques. I didn't mind the performances from Granger and Dall.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 517
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 23/2/2012 2:27:20 PM   
Saltire

Flight of The Phoenix (1965)

Seen it before, but remembered it was a cracking disaster film. Simple enough plot, plane crashes into desert, no place for people to go to, have to make new plane to escape. The performances all round are excellent and the rivalry between Kruger and Stewart fires its along nicely indeed.

9/10

(in reply to efc91)
Post #: 518
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 25/2/2012 3:12:03 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Safety Last (1923, Newmeyer & Taylor, 1st viewing) (Feb)

4/5

My first Harold Lloyd film and I loved it The whole film is a delight, I especially loved the hiding method they use to hide from the landlord, so simple yet ingenious and the climbing sequence and the oh so famous dangling from the clock stunt are some of the best stunts in all of cinema.

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 25/2/2012 3:17:03 AM >

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 519
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 25/2/2012 8:24:03 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

Safety Last (1923, Newmeyer & Taylor, 1st viewing) (Feb)

4/5

My first Harold Lloyd film and I loved it The whole film is a delight, I especially loved the hiding method they use to hide from the landlord, so simple yet ingenious and the climbing sequence and the oh so famous dangling from the clock stunt are some of the best stunts in all of cinema.

Yes, yes and yes, a quite brilliant film that is simply timeless...

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 520
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 25/2/2012 8:28:20 PM   
Saltire

To Be Or Not To Be (1942)

Ernst Lubitsch's satirical masterpiece was flawless from start to finish. It had everything, great wit, comic timing, a terrific script, leads that were on blistering form including the great man himself who delivers a poignant Shakespearean speech at the end to 'The Fuhrer' and also it had great pathos with reversed roles of Poles chasing Nazi's with searchlights and jokes about concentration camps. Utterly sensational in my book. I don't give this out often but for me it gets : -

10/10

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 521
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 27/2/2012 7:21:39 AM   
siegfried

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

To Be Or Not To Be (1942)

Ernst Lubitsch's satirical masterpiece was flawless from start to finish. It had everything, great wit, comic timing, a terrific script, leads that were on blistering form including the great man himself who delivers a poignant Shakespearean speech at the end to 'The Fuhrer' and also it had great pathos with reversed roles of Poles chasing Nazi's with searchlights and jokes about concentration camps. Utterly sensational in my book. I don't give this out often but for me it gets : -

10/10

Absolutely. A while ago I posted a list of my top 50 favourite comedies. To Be Or Not To Be was at number 1. Still is. Must watch it again soon.

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 522
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 27/2/2012 11:35:16 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

12 Angry Men (1957, Lumet, 1st viewing) (Feb)

5/5

It's a shame it's taken me so long to watch this film and I'm glad I did, it's a classic and absolutely brilliant

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 523
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 27/2/2012 9:54:10 PM   
TheGodfather

After the Oscar win of The Artist it seemed fitting to watch tonight:

The Jazz Singer
The first commercial succesfull film in wich dialogue was used (but not the first sound film), about a singer who wants to have a carreer in the theater but his dad wants him to continue the family tradition.
It is, more than 80 years later, interesting to see how the sound (and especially the dialogues) are only used by bits. But the excellent, although quite technical, audio commentary explains a lot on that part.
On the day that a film about the dawn of the talkies wins big at the Oscars it was nice to see the first (literally) talkie again.
A milestone in motion picture history but as a film (story- and acting wise) it isn`t all that special.

7,3/10

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 524
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 1/3/2012 1:33:19 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

The Immigrant (1917, Chaplin, 1st viewing (March) (Short)

4/5

As with all Chaplin, I love it

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 525
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 1/3/2012 4:47:25 AM   
siegfried

Stage Fright (1950)
Dir: Alfred Hitchcock
- Jane Wyman, Marlene Dietrich, Richard Todd, Michael Wilding, Alistair Sim, Sybil Thorndike

Not one of Hitchcock's masterpieces, but nonetheless a cracking good thriller, which has drama student Wyman playing amateur sleuth in the investigation into the killing of glamorous star Dietrich's husband.
Todd plays the young man involved with Dietrich, who is wanted for questioning by the police, and Wilding is the detective in charge of the case.
Sybil Thorndike and Alistair Sim, as Wyman's somewhat dotty parents, are a delight.
Well worth a watch, if only for Dietrich's rendition of The Laziest Girl In Town.
4/5

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 526
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 14/3/2012 9:51:12 PM   
TheGodfather

Tabu - A Story Of The South Seas
Murnau`s last film is the universal story of an impossible love surrounded by local habits and thoughts.
It is a silent film but, other than with most of those silent films, Tabu doesn`t have any title cards to "tell the dialogue". That makes the film special, as does the cast that for the biggest consists of amateurs that are from the island where the story takes place. The images and the music are very good as well.
An excellent farewell from the Master Murnau.

8,0/10

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 527
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 15/3/2012 12:51:20 AM   
Saltire

It Happened One Night (1934)

Decent enough comedy from the legendary Frank Capra. Not one of his utter best imo, but not bad either.

6/10

Aguirre The Wrath of God (1972)

What do I say about this film - got it, utterly banana's! Cant take your eyes of the great Kinski though.

6/10

Post #: 528
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 18/3/2012 10:00:58 PM   
TheGodfather

Anatomy of a Murder
Brilliant court drama and a complaint against the American justice system by Otto Preminger in wich James Stewart in a brilliant way portrays a lawyer who needs to defend a military officer. He`s accused of murdering the man who raped his wife.
You`re really sucked into the story and need to form your own opinion, especially about the verdict that the jury will give. The films is well over 2,5 hours long but doesn`t bore one second. Thanks to the acting from the entire cast, the beautiful camera work and jazz soundtrack by Duke Ellington you`ll keep watching and stay focussed until the brilliant ending!

The picture quality on the Criterion blu-ray is fantastic, for everyone who still isn`t convinced that blu-ray can work for old films this is a must. And for everyone else also!

9,5/10

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 529
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 19/3/2012 5:28:06 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheGodfather

Anatomy of a Murder
Brilliant court drama and a complaint against the American justice system by Otto Preminger in wich James Stewart in a brilliant way portrays a lawyer who needs to defend a military officer. He`s accused of murdering the man who raped his wife.
You`re really sucked into the story and need to form your own opinion, especially about the verdict that the jury will give. The films is well over 2,5 hours long but doesn`t bore one second. Thanks to the acting from the entire cast, the beautiful camera work and jazz soundtrack by Duke Ellington you`ll keep watching and stay focussed until the brilliant ending!

The picture quality on the Criterion blu-ray is fantastic, for everyone who still isn`t convinced that blu-ray can work for old films this is a must. And for everyone else also!

9,5/10

Saw this a few years back and I echo your thoughts, its a cracking film. Think I may revisit it again soon.

Post #: 530
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 19/3/2012 11:50:15 PM   
Saltire

Dunkirk (1958)

A good old fashioned British war movie with Messrs Attenborough and Mills doing their bit for king and country. I never realised what those lads went through as they tried to get back home and it seemed to be akin to the Yanks getting obliterated on Omaha Beach. It also showed the genuine ingenuity this little country of ours has (used to have?) when up against it and it was all stirring stuff.

8/10

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 531
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 20/3/2012 4:14:13 PM   
Nicola1001

Carry On Sergeant (1958) 6/10

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 532
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 23/3/2012 3:17:25 PM   
Saltire

Fail-Safe (1964)

Seen this many times before but its one of these films I like to watch once every few years (like 12 Angry Men or Arsenic and Old Lace) just because its utterly fantastic in every area. The story is about trying to avoid WWIII and the way the plot unravels and the acting is spot-on throughout. Its a serious film with a serious point, but its unmissable if you happen to have a vague interest in the subject or just want to watch a good older film along with brilliant performances and tense scenes.

10/10

(in reply to Nicola1001)
Post #: 533
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 27/3/2012 12:58:50 AM   
Saltire

The Spirit of St. Louis (1957)

Decent enough Jimmy Stewart film about Lindbergh's trip from New York to Paris in a single flight in the Twenties to become the first person to do so. Enjoyable enough, though not a classic by any means.

6/10

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 534
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 31/3/2012 12:00:48 AM   
Kubrickrube

Breakfast At Tiffany's (1961)

I've recently purchased a Blu-Ray player/ Finally got up to date! I purchased the remastered version of this classic. The film looks amazing. You can really tell they've done a great job in remastering it. The film itself is and always will be a classic. Peppard and Hephurn are amzing. I knew that Audrey Hepburn was beautiful but the remaster shows her in a completely different level of beauty. Truman Capote's novel has of course been changed for the big screen but it doesn't lose it's power. You can't help but fall in love with all of the characters.

You came to me like a dream
The kind that always leaves

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 535
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 3/4/2012 3:04:20 PM   
Nicola1001

A Tale Of Two Cities (1958) 7/10

The Pickwick Papers (1952) 7/10

(in reply to Kubrickrube)
Post #: 536
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 3/4/2012 7:57:55 PM   
efc91

Wild River - 4/5

A good film from the ever reliable Elia Kazan. It was the first film I have seen starring Montgomery Clift, going to certainly check out his other films though.

(in reply to Nicola1001)
Post #: 537
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 4/4/2012 4:01:31 PM   
Nicola1001

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934) 6/10

(in reply to efc91)
Post #: 538
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 7/4/2012 4:12:46 PM   
Nicola1001

Vertigo (1958) 9/10

(in reply to Nicola1001)
Post #: 539
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 9/4/2012 1:22:44 AM   
TolkenHobbitGuy

The Guns of Navarone (1961) 7/10
Very nice performance from Niven. Some good directorial choices from J. Lee Thompson,
though i would have loved to see what would have become of the film under Alexander Mackendricks helm.

Charade (1963) 7.5/10
Great entertainment. Brilliant score from Mancini. Haunts me to know that there is a remake of the film,
from Jonathan Demme with Thandie Newton and Mark Wahlberg in the lead.

(in reply to Nicola1001)
Post #: 540
Page:   <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI