Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 22/1/2012 1:14:45 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

After Ninj's overwhelmingly positive review a little awhile ago, and after reading this list Click me!, I thought I should give F.W. Murnau's 1927 classic, Sunrise: A Song Of Two People a viewing. And I am so glad I did because it's not only the best silent film I've ever seen, it's one of the best films I've ever seen. Heart-breaking and warming in equal measures it also (Mild spoilers) has one of the most beautiful and generally warming endings ever in cinema and it made me very happy

5/5!!!

So glad you enjoyed it scarface, I was contemplating watching it again tonight but it's a bit late/ too early now to do so. It definitely lingers with you and I have been thinking of it ever since my first viewing. Truly delightful.

Happy viewing!

Think I'll add to the consensus. Sunrise is amazing, beautiful, funny and deeply profound. Easily Murnau's masterpiece and probably the greatest silent film ever. Blown away. 5/5

< Message edited by Spaldron -- 22/1/2012 1:17:18 AM >

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 481
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 22/1/2012 2:48:17 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

Yay, Spaldy! So glad you enjoyed it also.

Art

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 482
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 22/1/2012 9:38:49 AM   
efc91

I need to see this Sunrise. Just put it on my watchlist.

I watched The Bridge on the River Kwai last night 5/5.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 483
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 22/1/2012 10:22:18 AM   
TheGodfather

quote:

ORIGINAL: efc91

I need to see this Sunrise. Just put it on my watchlist.

yeah you do! pick up the Masters of Cinema blu-ray if you still need to get it!

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to efc91)
Post #: 484
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 23/1/2012 5:21:37 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

Just watched Battleship Potemkin and I'm ashamed to say that that was the first time ever that I've seen it! Definitely not the last however, although it is a very heavy film and I perhaps wasn't expecting that level of heaviness before viewing.

Powerful and brilliant nonetheless! 4/5

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 23/1/2012 5:22:13 AM >

Art

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 485
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 23/1/2012 9:18:19 AM   
Saltire

Saw that years ago and didn't like it, but I think its worth a second look.

Post #: 486
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 23/1/2012 2:01:48 PM   
efc91

Roman Holiday 5/5

I always seem to catch this film whenever its on TV. Its just a really enjoyable film to watch when your bored. Audrey Hepburn is so charming in it.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 487
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 24/1/2012 5:59:00 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

Saw that years ago and didn't like it, but I think its worth a second look.

Totally! Yes, it's a very heavy film but in my opinion that's what's so impressive - especially for 1923.

I just watched "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" from 1923 also and thanks to scarface's awesome link, I'm now working my way through the silent's that I haven't seen and conveniently too, as they're all so readily available to watch on it! It's my mission to have that done by Sunday, although I cannot believe that The Passion of Joan of Arc is over 5 hours long! That one may prove tricking in watching before Sunday but I should manage all the rest. Anyway, back to The Huncback... I absolutely loved this and feel that what Lon Chaney did for Quasimodo easily rivals what Boris Karloff captured in Frankenstein's Monster. A must-see for fans of that era. 4/5

Art

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 488
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 24/1/2012 6:11:01 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

The Music Box - An absolute must for any fan of Laurel and Hardy, comedy or films in general. Granting the pair their only oscar (they should have had at least a dozen) it's an absolute masterpiece. It;s in my top 15 films of all time and I never tire of seeing it.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 489
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 24/1/2012 8:23:45 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Yep, Sunrise is a beautiful film. I would recommend A Cottage On Dartmoor to anyone who likes Sunrise.

And I would certainly back up your recommendation. It's also in my list of top 20 silent films.

I'd triple back it up - personally I prefer it to Sunrise, although the latter has improved in my estimation of late.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 490
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 25/1/2012 5:48:29 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

I've just finished watching "Nanook of the North" and WOW! Not only does this film put life as we know it into perspective but the humbleness and happiness of the people in it just melt your heart. Powerful stuff and really great to witness what these people had to go through just to survive each day. 4/5

Art

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 491
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 25/1/2012 8:52:09 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

I've just finished watching "Nanook of the North" and WOW! Not only does this film put life as we know it into perspective but the humbleness and happiness of the people in it just melt your heart. Powerful stuff and really great to witness what these people had to go through just to survive each day. 4/5

Good to see you're enjoying the movies from that list Ninj, I feel like I made a real contribution to your movie watching

Breathless (1960, Godard, 1st viewing) 4/5
I can see why there is endless homage and praise towards bout de souffle, it's a very sharp and also lovely film and Seberg is just charming as well. Shamefully, this is the first Godard film I've watched and I intend to watch more (already considering Bande part and Weekend) any other suggestions anyone?

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

Post #: 492
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 25/1/2012 11:18:53 AM   
Saltire

quote:

Poor Nanook died of starvation a year after that film.

< Message edited by Saltire -- 25/1/2012 11:19:24 AM >

Post #: 493
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 25/1/2012 3:26:19 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

Good to see you're enjoying the movies from that list Ninj, I feel like I made a real contribution to your movie watching

You've definitely helped! Only 3 more films from that link (not including the 5 hour one) to watch and I'll have seen them all. I feel like I've made progress this week.

quote:

Poor Nanook died of starvation a year after that film.

Apparently it was 2, it mentions it right at the beginning of the film. It's sad because he seems so genuinely lovely. I definitely plan to watch this again.

Art

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 494
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 25/1/2012 3:28:31 PM   
elab49

quote:

You have to be a bit careful with Flaherty - if he was making it today he'd be all over the daily Fail for misleading viewers with fake scenes. Well, not quite that extreme - but it isn't quite as objective eye as it might appear.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 495
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 26/1/2012 3:46:56 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

I didn't know that elab. A good film though all in all.

I found this bad boy a wee while ago and plan to check it out at some point (after my "mission" to watch the films from scarface's link that is!).
Anyhoo, here is the link for anyone else interested,
I was quite surprised actually at how many I had seen!

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 26/1/2012 3:48:07 AM >

Art

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 496
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 26/1/2012 5:10:39 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

I found this bad boy a wee while ago and plan to check it out at some point (after my "mission" to watch the films from scarface's link that is!).

Only one Laurel and Hardy film. And so low!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 497
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 27/1/2012 9:56:40 PM   
siegfried

quote:

I was also surprised at how many I have in my collection, although there are still many that I need to catch up with.
Very pleased to see Buster Keaton so well represented (deservedly so).
Also the great Fritz Lang, although I would place Dr. Mabuse and Die Nibelungen ahead of Metropolis, and would certainly have included Spione (Spies). Reminds me that it's time I rewatched them, although with Dr Mabuse and Die Nibelungen it's a matter of finding the time, as they're both over five hours.
We're at the beginning of a long weekend here, so maybe I'll settle down with one of them later today.

< Message edited by siegfried -- 27/1/2012 9:58:31 PM >

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

Post #: 498
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 28/1/2012 2:32:06 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

quote:

I was also surprised at how many I have in my collection, although there are still many that I need to catch up with.
Very pleased to see Buster Keaton so well represented (deservedly so).
Also the great Fritz Lang, although I would place Dr. Mabuse and Die Nibelungen ahead of Metropolis, and would certainly have included Spione (Spies). Reminds me that it's time I rewatched them, although with Dr Mabuse and Die Nibelungen it's a matter of finding the time, as they're both over five hours.
We're at the beginning of a long weekend here, so maybe I'll settle down with one of them later today.

Lol, I know what you mean. Ashamedly, I doubt I'll even finish watching all of the ones on the link you posted but you never know. If I'm still sticking to Sunday as my deadline, I doubt it as the pub has gotten in the way!
However, I think I'll try and complete that link I added definitely within the year. That would be completely do-able.

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 28/1/2012 2:34:09 AM >

Art

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 499
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 28/1/2012 6:20:27 PM   
efc91

I think I will attempt to watch the movies in the list as well. I'm fairly new to silent films. After seeing The Artist it has sparked an interest. Sadly so far I have only seen City Lights and Sherlock Jr. from the list but its a good start I enjoyed both films.

The last classic I watched was the Jimmy Stewart film Harvey, which was great fun. 5/5

Post #: 500
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 28/1/2012 8:59:19 PM   
siegfried

quote:

The last classic I watched was the Jimmy Stewart film Harvey, which was great fun. 5/5

Marvellous film, and one of the best things James Stewart ever did. Another one I must rewatch soon.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to efc91)
Post #: 501
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 29/1/2012 2:27:31 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

I think I will attempt to watch the movies in the list as well. I'm fairly new to silent films. After seeing The Artist it has sparked an interest. Sadly so far I have only seen City Lights and Sherlock Jr. from the list but its a good start I enjoyed both films.

Good choices efc91! The Artist has actually been known to have sparked an interest in people watching old silents again, which I think is ace. You're definitely on to a good start with watching City Lights and Sherlock Jr as they are both classics by Chaplin and Keaton....

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 29/1/2012 2:28:04 AM >

Art

(in reply to efc91)
Post #: 502
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 29/1/2012 12:14:37 PM   
DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

quote:

quote:

Marvellous film, and one of the best things James Stewart ever did. Another one I must rewatch soon.

Oh Harvey is a great film.

"who's Harvey?"
"A white rabbit, six feet tall"
"6 feet?!"
"6 feet, three and a half inches, now let's stick to the facts."
(shamefully quoted from a youtube vid)

< Message edited by DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT -- 29/1/2012 12:15:06 PM >

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 503
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 29/1/2012 3:16:37 PM   
Saltire

Yeah, think you'll not find a person on this thread who can't help but like Harvey! (Or imo, anything Jimmy Stewart ever did.)

(in reply to DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT)
Post #: 504
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 29/1/2012 8:55:18 PM   
elab49

quote:

Yeah, think you'll not find a person on this thread who can't help but like Harvey! (Or imo, anything Jimmy Stewart ever did.)

A little too far for me, but I do love Harvey

quote:

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 505
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 1/2/2012 4:00:45 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

The Gold Rush (1925, Chaplin, 1st viewing) (Jan)

4/5

As usual, Chaplin never fails to make me smile

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 506
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 1/2/2012 2:34:41 PM   
Whistler

The General (Buster Keaton) - I loved the film (Buster inadvertently pulling the canon upright before firing was a wonderful moment), but the soundtrack began to irritate me. I'm not sure if it was original or reconstructed, but it was far too repetitive for my liking, like a DVD menu when no-one presses play. That was the only detractor though, otherwise it's excellent. 4/5

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 507
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 1/2/2012 4:48:47 PM   
Nicola1001

Giant (1956) 7/10

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 508
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 10/2/2012 7:19:40 PM   
Saltire

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)

Fantastic Hitchcock film with James Stewart and Doris Day embroiled in a (literal) kidnap and assassination plot taking them from Marrakesh to London. Hitchcock for me can be hit or miss, but this definitely hit the spot and was gripping and suspenseful throughout. The best thing though was the use of music as a character-cum-plot device that raised the tension to an almost unbearable culmination. Can't recommend this film highly enough.

9/10

< Message edited by Saltire -- 10/2/2012 7:21:33 PM >

(in reply to Nicola1001)
Post #: 509
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 12/2/2012 2:22:42 PM   
efc91

The Letter starring Bette Davis. It was a bit talkie but there are some great little twists. 4/5

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 510
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI