Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 8/1/2012 7:48:08 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

You'll have to let me know what you think. There are very, very few of their films for Hal Roach that aren't utterly brilliant.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 451
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 8/1/2012 7:48:58 PM   
Nicola1001

Went The Day Well (1942) 8/10

The Prince And The Showgirl (1957) 8/10

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 452
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 8/1/2012 8:30:30 PM   
Saltire

The Naked Spur (1953)

Fantastic western with Jimmy Stewart hunting down Robert Ryan then travelling back with him and a bunch of companions to justice as Ryan tries to undermine the group to his advantage. It was tense and suspenseful and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

8/10

< Message edited by Saltire -- 9/1/2012 1:46:47 AM >

(in reply to Nicola1001)
Post #: 453
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 9/1/2012 2:19:22 PM   
mackey

The Lady From Shanghai - have never seen it before and absolutely loved it

I know that look; it's the same look my father gave me when I told him I wanted to be a ventriloquist.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 454
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 10/1/2012 5:16:44 PM   
efc91

I watched too great classics this week Stage Door and City Lights both would get 5/5 from me.

Post #: 455
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 10/1/2012 5:18:50 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: efc91

I watched too great classics this week Stage Door and City Lights both would get 5/5 from me.

Absolutely!

Art

(in reply to efc91)
Post #: 456
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 10/1/2012 7:31:14 PM   
siegfried

quote:

ORIGINAL: mackey

It's offbeat, rather bizarre, and Welles' fake Irish accent is hilarious. But like you, I love it. The climax in the mirror maze is riveting.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to mackey)
Post #: 457
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 11/1/2012 7:39:43 AM   
mackey

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried

quote:

ORIGINAL: mackey

It's offbeat, rather bizarre, and Welles' fake Irish accent is hilarious. But like you, I love it. The climax in the mirror maze is riveting.

Yep, the accent startled me a bit at first but, strangely, it somehow fits with the general atmosphere of the film. Some really great performances and dialogue and, as you say, the finale is gripping.

I know that look; it's the same look my father gave me when I told him I wanted to be a ventriloquist.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 458
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 13/1/2012 2:10:31 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

I finally did it... I got around to watching Safety Last! Yippe! So good and must watch some more Lloyd films as I now regret being a virgin to his work. I would say that I prefer (going from Safety Last!) his style to The Marx Brothers, definitely.

4/5 for Safety Last!

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 13/1/2012 2:11:04 AM >

Art

(in reply to mackey)
Post #: 459
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 13/1/2012 4:30:53 AM   
Saltire

Yay grats for finally seeing it, told you you'd like it! :)

I started watching Night of The Hunter (1955) but am shattered tonight so will finish it tomorrow; gotta love Robert Mitchum as a baddie - was there any better back in the day?

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 460
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 13/1/2012 4:59:01 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

I know Saltire, it was brill! I just finished watching F.W. Murnau's "Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans" and oh boy, what a powerful film! Heartbreakingly beautiful in every way and supposedly the best Silent ever made. I was dubious about this "fact" of course before watching it but it is definitely one of, in my opinion.

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (Murnau, 1927) 5/5

Art

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 461
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 14/1/2012 3:34:47 AM   
siegfried

quote:

ORIGINAL: NinjaShortbread212

I know Saltire, it was brill! I just finished watching F.W. Murnau's "Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans" and oh boy, what a powerful film! Heartbreakingly beautiful in every way and supposedly the best Silent ever made. I was dubious about this "fact" of course before watching it but it is definitely one of, in my opinion.

A couple of years ago I posted lists of my top 20 films of each decade, beginning with the silent era. Sunrise was # 1 in my top 20 silents, and although there would probably be a few changes if I were to redo the list today, simply because I've caught up with more since then, Sunrise would still be at the top. I agree - heatbreakingly beautiful sums it up perfectly.

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Post #: 462
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 14/1/2012 3:47:51 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

quote:

A couple of years ago I posted lists of my top 20 films of each decade, beginning with the silent era. Sunrise was # 1 in my top 20 silents, and although there would probably be a few changes if I were to redo the list today, simply because I've caught up with more since then, Sunrise would still be at the top. I agree - heatbreakingly beautiful sums it up perfectly.

You know, I'm actually considering watching it again tonight (if I have the time). It really leaves a lasting impression on you.

Art

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 463
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 14/1/2012 5:23:13 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Yep, Sunrise is a beautiful film. I would recommend A Cottage On Dartmoor to anyone who likes Sunrise.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 464
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 14/1/2012 5:26:15 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

Ooh, I might just add that to the list also Gimli, thanks.

Art

Post #: 465
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 14/1/2012 6:41:22 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

quote:

quote:

You know, I'm actually considering watching it again tonight (if I have the time). It really leaves a lasting impression on you.

Ok I have to see this Sunrise film. Have heard so much about it from Ninj.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 466
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 14/1/2012 6:43:04 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ok I have to see this Sunrise film. Have heard so much about it from Ninj.

We could watch it tomorrow if you like. Trust me, you'll wonder why you never did it sooner!

EDT: I say "tomorrow" but I technically mean tonight....

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 14/1/2012 6:44:40 AM >

Art

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 467
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 14/1/2012 10:16:11 PM   
siegfried

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Yep, Sunrise is a beautiful film. I would recommend A Cottage On Dartmoor to anyone who likes Sunrise.

And I would certainly back up your recommendation. It's also in my list of top 20 silent films.

Post #: 468
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 14/1/2012 11:32:59 PM   
Saltire

quote:

Gotta see this...

Post #: 469
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 14/1/2012 11:35:34 PM   
Saltire

Night of The Hunter (1955)

Absolutely awful; the religion was too much even though I did like the way in which it was shot - I heard good stuff about it as well, maybe it just wasn't for me or was over my head then lol!!

2/10 (for the artful shooting only)

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 470
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 16/1/2012 11:29:43 AM   
Spaldron

Brilliantly chilling and psychological classic with some inventive direction from Robert Wise. 4.5/5

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 471
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 16/1/2012 3:45:59 PM   
Nicola1001

The Hound Of The Baskervilles (1939) 7/10

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 472
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 16/1/2012 5:32:08 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Brilliantly chilling and psychological classic with some inventive direction from Robert Wise. 4.5/5

Totally concur with Spaldy and also with what siegfried said on another thread. It is genuinely scary.

Art

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 473
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 17/1/2012 5:04:58 PM   
Nicola1001

The Glenn Miller Story (1954) 7/10

Cat On A Hot Tin Roof (1958) 7/10

Post #: 474
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 18/1/2012 3:21:52 PM   
efc91

Just watched The Glenn Miller Story today. I enjoyed it as well. 3.5/5

(in reply to Nicola1001)
Post #: 475
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 18/1/2012 6:17:59 PM   
Nicola1001

The Railway Children (1970) 7/10

Swallows And Amazons (1974) 7/10

(in reply to efc91)
Post #: 476
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 21/1/2012 4:29:51 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

After Ninj's overwhelmingly positive review a little awhile ago, and after reading this list Click me!, I thought I should give F.W. Murnau's 1927 classic, Sunrise: A Song Of Two People a viewing. And I am so glad I did because it's not only the best silent film I've ever seen, it's one of the best films I've ever seen. Heart-breaking and warming in equal measures it also (Mild spoilers) has one of the most beautiful and generally warming endings ever in cinema and it made me very happy

5/5!!!

Also, is it just me or is Janet Gaynor extremely cute..

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to Nicola1001)
Post #: 477
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 21/1/2012 4:38:10 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

After Ninj's overwhelmingly positive review a little awhile ago, and after reading this list Click me!, I thought I should give F.W. Murnau's 1927 classic, Sunrise: A Song Of Two People a viewing. And I am so glad I did because it's not only the best silent film I've ever seen, it's one of the best films I've ever seen. Heart-breaking and warming in equal measures it also (Mild spoilers) has one of the most beautiful and generally warming endings ever in cinema and it made me very happy

5/5!!!

So glad you enjoyed it scarface, I was contemplating watching it again tonight but it's a bit late/ too early now to do so. It definitely lingers with you and I have been thinking of it ever since my first viewing. Truly delightful.

I've bookmarked your link also as there is some proper classics on that list that I must check out or forever hang me head!

Art

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 478
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 21/1/2012 4:49:34 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

quote:

5/5!!!

So glad you enjoyed it scarface, I was contemplating watching it again tonight but it's a bit late/ too early now to do so. It definitely lingers with you and I have been thinking of it ever since my first viewing. Truly delightful.

I've bookmarked your link also as there is some proper classics on that list that I must check out or forever hang me head!

I already want to watch it again It really is just an absolutely beautiful film! It's a top list isn't it! I intend to watch all the films on it eventually. I also realised I'd criminally never seen The Gold Rush so I'm going to watch it tonight hopefully

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

Post #: 479
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 21/1/2012 4:56:08 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

quote:

quote:

5/5!!!

I already want to watch it again It really is just an absolutely beautiful film! It's a top list isn't it! I intend to watch all the films on it eventually. I also realised I'd criminally never seen The Gold Rush so I'm going to watch it tonight hopefully

Definitely an impressive list. I'm ashamed that there's quite a few on there that I haven't seen. Enjoy The Gold Rush (I really love that one) and we can compare notes later on the others.

Happy viewing!

Art

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 480
Page:   <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI