Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 27/12/2011 6:08:41 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: NinjaShortbread212

Yeah, the scene at the end was just perfect and I loved in the final scene how the film he is mimicking gets gradually more impossible for him to reenact , when the man is shown holding twins and Keaton just scratches his head as if to say "how on earth do I do that!?", I laughed so hard at that bit. The motorbike scene was aces also and I kept thinking he was going to crash but executes it (as always) with fine precision that we know and love from him.
Film today (IMO) will always lack what that era had in bucket loads. I have such deep nostalgia for that time in cinema. The "innocence" of cinema, if you like.

I don't think I've watched any Harold Lloyd films yet but know that he was certainly underrated in his time. I do however want to watch his "Safety Last" film, as that's meant to be his best work - have you seen it? I also highly recommend Chaplins "City Lights" - "The Kid" - "The Gold Rush" and my favourite Chaplin film of all time, "The Great Dictator". Man, that speech! Also "A Trip to the Moon" by Méliès is a must see and possibly his most well known film. There is so much of his work that you can watch on YouTube that you could easily get through loads in one night.

The 20's list sounds great, as Méliès has produced some great, very early short films (going back into the late 1800's), like his 1898 "Santa Claus", which I just adore. And don't even get me started on Murnau, Lang, Zecca and Chomón's work or we really will be here all night!

Thanks for the chat, it's always great to find someone else that has great and obscure taste in film.

I know right, definitely the best ending to a silent film ever and agreed, while I haven't seen a great deal of films from this era I do love them immensely. And no, I've seen Lloyd referenced heaps, especially Safety Last which is why I want to watch it and I saw City Lights years and years ago and I barely remember it except for the boxing match (that was City Lights yeah?) and have you seen Modern Times? Brilliant And I've heard of A Trip To The Moon before I think, it was the inspiration for a Smashing Pumpkins video I'll look him up later. I went on Youtube before and I found stuff like Battleship Potempkin and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and even Birth of a freaking Nation! Jackpot And thanks for the recommendations, I think I've seen Lang's Metropolis before vaguely.

And yeah you too, although I'm at best a rookie when it comes to early cinema, I haven't had the chance or resources to watch a heap, but I agree, people with left-field taste in film are the best sort of people

Yep, that was City Lights and Modern Tmes is awesome - I'm trying to remember if that's the film with the Cocaine scene? That was brilliant, absolutely hilarious! The Smashing Pumpkins did reference A Trip to the Moon, yes. I think it was in their "Tonight Tonight" video? The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is amazeballs, as is Der Golem, Nosferatu (classic), Faust, Metropolis, Woman in the Moon (that ones around 3 hours long, as is Metropolis but well worth checking out).

Happy watching!

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 27/12/2011 6:10:13 PM >

Art

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 421
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 28/12/2011 2:08:46 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, the scene at the end was just perfect and I loved in the final scene how the film he is mimicking gets gradually more impossible for him to reenact , when the man is shown holding twins and Keaton just scratches his head as if to say "how on earth do I do that!?", I laughed so hard at that bit. The motorbike scene was aces also and I kept thinking he was going to crash but executes it (as always) with fine precision that we know and love from him.
Film today (IMO) will always lack what that era had in bucket loads. I have such deep nostalgia for that time in cinema. The "innocence" of cinema, if you like.

I don't think I've watched any Harold Lloyd films yet but know that he was certainly underrated in his time. I do however want to watch his "Safety Last" film, as that's meant to be his best work - have you seen it? I also highly recommend Chaplins "City Lights" - "The Kid" - "The Gold Rush" and my favourite Chaplin film of all time, "The Great Dictator". Man, that speech! Also "A Trip to the Moon" by Méliès is a must see and possibly his most well known film. There is so much of his work that you can watch on YouTube that you could easily get through loads in one night.

The 20's list sounds great, as Méliès has produced some great, very early short films (going back into the late 1800's), like his 1898 "Santa Claus", which I just adore. And don't even get me started on Murnau, Lang, Zecca and Chomón's work or we really will be here all night!

Thanks for the chat, it's always great to find someone else that has great and obscure taste in film.

I know right, definitely the best ending to a silent film ever and agreed, while I haven't seen a great deal of films from this era I do love them immensely. And no, I've seen Lloyd referenced heaps, especially Safety Last which is why I want to watch it and I saw City Lights years and years ago and I barely remember it except for the boxing match (that was City Lights yeah?) and have you seen Modern Times? Brilliant And I've heard of A Trip To The Moon before I think, it was the inspiration for a Smashing Pumpkins video I'll look him up later. I went on Youtube before and I found stuff like Battleship Potempkin and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and even Birth of a freaking Nation! Jackpot And thanks for the recommendations, I think I've seen Lang's Metropolis before vaguely.

And yeah you too, although I'm at best a rookie when it comes to early cinema, I haven't had the chance or resources to watch a heap, but I agree, people with left-field taste in film are the best sort of people

Yep, that was City Lights and Modern Tmes is awesome - I'm trying to remember if that's the film with the Cocaine scene? That was brilliant, absolutely hilarious! The Smashing Pumpkins did reference A Trip to the Moon, yes. I think it was in their "Tonight Tonight" video? The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is amazeballs, as is Der Golem, Nosferatu (classic), Faust, Metropolis, Woman in the Moon (that ones around 3 hours long, as is Metropolis but well worth checking out).

Happy watching!

Yeah that cocaine scene is from Modern Times and that's the one! Love that song. And I haven't got around to watching Cabinet yet but I will most likely tonight. I've found all the other movies you've mentioned on Youtube too A 3 hour silent film, sounds daunting

Just watched Chaplin's "The Kid", loved it

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 28/12/2011 3:57:22 AM >

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 422
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 28/12/2011 6:46:09 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

Yeah that cocaine scene is from Modern Times and that's the one! Love that song. And I haven't got around to watching Cabinet yet but I will most likely tonight. I've found all the other movies you've mentioned on Youtube too A 3 hour silent film, sounds daunting

The Kid is such a beautiful film. I've watched his "A Dog's Life" twice now since last night and have just finished watching Monsieur Verdoux, which is a "talkie". I had only seen one of Chaplin's talkies previous to this (The Great Dictator) and I'm happy to report that this doesn't disapoint. Well worth the watch.

Monsieur Verdoux 4/5

Art

Post #: 423
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 29/12/2011 12:22:52 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

quote:

The Kid is such a beautiful film. I've watched his "A Dog's Life" twice now since last night and have just finished watching Monsieur Verdoux, which is a "talkie". I had only seen one of Chaplin's talkies previous to this (The Great Dictator) and I'm happy to report that this doesn't disapoint. Well worth the watch.

Monsieur Verdoux 4/5

I'm going to have a Chaplin fest sooner or later after my silent film quest has ended Cheers for the recommendations, I'll keep them in mind

Post #: 424
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 29/12/2011 11:31:02 PM   
directorscut

Blackboard Jungle.

So disappointing. I was waiting the entire movie for Glenn Ford to deck that punk West. Never happened.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 425
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 30/12/2011 11:29:30 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

The Killing 4/5

Brilliant noir film from the legendary Stanley Kubrick. And the ending minor spoilers, I've never wanted to punt a frigging dog more in my entire life

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 30/12/2011 11:34:16 AM >

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 426
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 30/12/2011 6:45:44 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

Limelight (Chaplin, 1952) 4/5

If you're a mahoosive Chaplin fan like me, be prepared... I cried like a baby at the end. Brilliant film.

Art

Post #: 427
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 1/1/2012 6:42:08 PM   
Nicola1001

Scrooge (1951) 10/10

Invaders From Mars (1953) 8/10

The Dambusters (1955) 7/10

Post #: 428
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 2/1/2012 4:33:16 PM   
Nicola1001

Lassie Come Home (1943) 6/10

(in reply to Nicola1001)
Post #: 429
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 3/1/2012 2:53:43 PM   
Saltire

quote:

quote:

Sherlock Jr (1924) 4.5/5

Further proof that Buster Keaton is one of the greatest to ever grace the film industry. Absolute genius.

Just about to watch this! Silent comedy is a big part of my life, so even I'm surprised that I still haven't seen this.

I still prefer Chaplin however but feel there's room for both in my world!

Agree, it took me a long time to get into Keaton's stuff for some reason but loved it once I did. Chaplin for me will always be king however.

Post #: 430
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 3/1/2012 2:56:44 PM   
Saltire

quote:

Ah yeah The Kid is wonderful, full of pathos and is utterly heart-wrenching in parts. Its also terrifically funny too.

Safety Last you will like also btw; it is very clever.

< Message edited by Saltire -- 3/1/2012 2:58:04 PM >

Post #: 431
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 3/1/2012 3:03:02 PM   
Saltire

Mark of Zorro (1940)

This was starting as I was going to my bed the other night and I stayed up to watch. It was romantic, silly drivel like the old Errol Flynn films; and I loved it! Basil Rathbone was always watchable and Tyrone Power was very good too playing the eponymous hero and his foppish disguise as a dreary airhead idiot of a son. Some good bits in it; especially the duel at the end which was fantastic and looked great even by today's lofty standards. You couldn't ask for more out of a Zorro film.

7/10

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 432
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 3/1/2012 5:12:44 PM   
Nicola1001

The Taming Of The Shrew (1967) 7/10

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 433
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 3/1/2012 6:30:31 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

Agree, it took me a long time to get into Keaton's stuff for some reason but loved it once I did. Chaplin for me will always be king however.

Amen.

Art

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 434
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 4/1/2012 4:28:45 PM   
Nicola1001

Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? (1966) 6/10
Carry On Nurse (1959) 6/10

Post #: 435
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 5/1/2012 4:42:21 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

A Woman of Paris: A Drama of Fate (Chaplin, 1923)

4/5 - dark and excellent.

Art

(in reply to Nicola1001)
Post #: 436
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 5/1/2012 10:46:41 PM   
siegfried

Sherlock Jr. - Buster Keaton was at his creative peak with this film. The sight gags are among his best ever, each one managing to top the one before, and no other comedian has, in my opinion, ever matched his superb comic timing.
For me, Buster is far and away the best of the silent comedians, followed by Harold Lloyd and with Chaplin a distant third (I await your howls of protest, Ninja).

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

Post #: 437
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 6/1/2012 3:36:34 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

*Howling in protest at sieg* Grrrr!

Only joking, it's a bit like Marmite (I guess), with the silent comedians and everyone who is a fan seems (at times) to hold a total different opinion as to who they think was the better one. They all did immensely well, except perhaps Lloyd but I'm still utterly looking forward to catching Safety Last! ASAP.

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 6/1/2012 3:37:16 AM >

Art

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 438
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 6/1/2012 6:17:17 AM   
siegfried

Safety Last is one of my favourite silent comedies, containing one of the most famous scenes in the history of film. Harold Lloyd tends sadly to be overlooked today, but there is a nine disc set available containing all of his feature length films, plus a selection of his best shorts.
Apart from Safety Last, I'd particularly recommend Grandma's Boy and The Freshman.
Your comment that "They all did well, except perhaps Lloyd" is interesting in light of the fact that at one stage his films were more popular, and outgrossed those of Chaplin, which makes it all the more sad that he tends to be so unappreciated today.

< Message edited by siegfried -- 6/1/2012 6:24:00 AM >

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Post #: 439
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 6/1/2012 7:56:24 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried

For me, Buster is far and away the best of the silent comedians, followed by Harold Lloyd and with Chaplin a distant third (I await your howls of protest, Ninja).

I adore Keaton (the number of his films in my top 500 is evidence) and even with only seeing one Harold Lloyd film, I'd place him between Keaton and Chaplin. But Laurel and Hardy still take the top spot.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 440
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 6/1/2012 8:21:00 AM   
Saltire

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)

I stay away from John Wayne films usually since I detest him with a passion, but this had the great Jimmy Stewart in it along with the ever brilliant Lee Marvin and the always likeable Lee van Cleef in a minor role. I enjoyed this film despite Wayne's inclusion and am glad I've seen it now.

7/10

Next up to see is The Naked Spur...

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 441
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 6/1/2012 8:25:22 AM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

I adore Keaton (the number of his films in my top 500 is evidence) and even with only seeing one Harold Lloyd film, I'd place him between Keaton and Chaplin. But Laurel and Hardy still take the top spot.

I've been watching a lot of their shorts recently and I honestly forgot (since I haven't seen them much since I was a lad) how funny they were - every single time Hardy gives that look to us the audience, it cracks me up!

Post #: 442
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 6/1/2012 8:47:55 PM   
siegfried

quote:

quote:

quote:

I've been watching a lot of their shorts recently and I honestly forgot (since I haven't seen them much since I was a lad) how funny they were - every single time Hardy gives that look to us the audience, it cracks me up!

I adore Laurel and Hardy, but at present I have only two of their films, the wonderful Way Out West (as I've said before, I can't think of any film which makes me happier), and Sons Of The Desert.
However, I've just discovered that DVD Planet have a ten disc set available called Laurel And Hardy: The Essential Collection. It's expensive, but what the hell! I've just ordered it.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 443
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 7/1/2012 2:46:49 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

Safety Last is one of my favourite silent comedies, containing one of the most famous scenes in the history of film. Harold Lloyd tends sadly to be overlooked today, but there is a nine disc set available containing all of his feature length films, plus a selection of his best shorts.
Apart from Safety Last, I'd particularly recommend Grandma's Boy and The Freshman.
Your comment that "They all did well, except perhaps Lloyd" is interesting in light of the fact that at one stage his films were more popular, and outgrossed those of Chaplin, which makes it all the more sad that he tends to be so unappreciated today.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that he made some good films and I've read a lot about him, Keaton, Chaplin, Laurel & Hardy etc. etc. When I said that "they all did immensely well, except perhaps him" I meant that compared to the rest he was most definitely overlooked but thanks for the recommendations, I'll check out Safety Last! - first! And see if I get into it as much as I hope. I'm especially looking forward to witnessing the famous clock scene. As, I've read so much about it....

quote:

Yes, I love that too. Laurel is my favourite though and every time he lets out that high pitch squeak (as he so often does when he gets overly emotional) I just crack up! So, so funny.

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 7/1/2012 2:48:01 AM >

Art

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 444
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 7/1/2012 3:26:26 AM   
siegfried

Looking forward to your comments on Safety Last, Ninja. I hope it will encourage you to check out more of his films.

Post #: 445
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 7/1/2012 3:49:28 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

Thanks and me too... I'll hopefully get around to it at some point this week. All this talk has made me way too curious!

Art

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 446
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 7/1/2012 7:33:26 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

I adore Laurel and Hardy, but at present I have only two of their films, the wonderful Way Out West (as I've said before, I can't think of any film which makes me happier), and Sons Of The Desert.
However, I've just discovered that DVD Planet have a ten disc set available called Laurel And Hardy: The Essential Collection. It's expensive, but what the hell! I've just ordered it.

Just had a look at that set. I can't find the complete list of films it includes but it does look grand. From the sounds of it, it had better picture quality then this one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Laurel-Hardy-Collection-21-disc-Box/dp/B0001K2KE8/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1325921117&sr=1-1

- a massive set that came out about 8 years back, which is one of my favourite DVDs. I've been told off on here though because I also like to watch the colourised version that this set includes!

I could talk about laurel and Hardy for days, I just love them

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 447
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 7/1/2012 11:20:13 PM   
siegfried

quote:

quote:

Just had a look at that set. I can't find the complete list of films it includes but it does look grand. From the sounds of it, it had better picture quality then this one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Laurel-Hardy-Collection-21-disc-Box/dp/B0001K2KE8/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1325921117&sr=1-1

- a massive set that came out about 8 years back, which is one of my favourite DVDs. I've been told off on here though because I also like to watch the colourised version that this set includes!

I could talk about laurel and Hardy for days, I just love them

Like you, I was unable to find a complete list of all the films in the collection (a bit frustrating), but it contains 58 of their short and feature length films, as well as over two hours of special features. It sounds well worth the risk, as apparently all of the films have been restored and digitally remastered.
The copies of Way Out West and Sons Of The Desert that I have also contain colourised versions, which like you I enjoy watching. I say to hell with the purists.

Post #: 448
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 8/1/2012 6:05:10 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Have you seen all of their films in the past?

Much more better!

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 449
RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. - 8/1/2012 6:31:53 AM   
siegfried

Not as many as I would have liked, but those I have seen I've loved.

Post #: 450
Page:   <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI