Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Sam Raimi Talks Spider-Man 4

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Sam Raimi Talks Spider-Man 4 Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sam Raimi Talks Spider-Man 4 - 6/6/2008 8:31:28 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
please.. - 6/6/2008 8:31:28 AM   
jk3555

ONE baddie, ONE love interest, more of spidey's oneliners and more of Jk Simmons because he rocks! then perhaps it'll be good.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
I'd welcome it... - 6/6/2008 8:41:29 AM   
peopleunderthestairs

The third one is a mess but Sam Raimi is allowed a blip, his other films allow him a pass.... I hope he goes back to his original idea for the third film and has Kraven arriving in town ready to hunt spider man

Post #: 3
That will do... - 6/6/2008 8:42:34 AM   
simon458

The third was turd. It's kind of killed the series for me. I say let's leave it a three shall we?

Post #: 4
- 6/6/2008 8:57:32 AM   
Hughezy

this is so annoying, is the f'n script written or not?! everyone is giving us different info.

Post #: 5
- 6/6/2008 9:03:50 AM   
doctorolorinbats1975

I liked Spidey 3 even if I felt Sandman was one villain too many (though Church give a good performance). Thing is though, Spider-Man 3 concluded many storylines and I think it'd be more natural to leave the franchise for a while and then recast the lead roles (keep JK Simmons though). I also say this because I acknowledge the third one did have a mixed reaction.

Post #: 6
I'm currently indifferent... - 6/6/2008 9:12:53 AM   
jpt1976

...'were he to return he'd have no intention of re-casting the roles'. So does that mean he's somehow tempted the cast to come back? Because Dunst was a definite 'no' for another sequel from what I've read.

Post #: 7
- 6/6/2008 9:17:11 AM   
waltham1979

I hope he does simply to erase the memory of the 3 - but it has to be really good or its going to start turning out like the Batman films did (post Begins of course!)

Post #: 8
Good news & Bad News - 6/6/2008 9:25:43 AM   
Y2Neildotcom

Good News - I think Raimi will be worth keeping
Bad News - I think the cast does need re-shaping. Although I want to see more of Bryce Dallas-Howard and Topher Grace (not much luck there though).

I hate the people that bash Spidey 3. Yes, Venom wasn't particuallry well handled but people that say there was no character developement can get right out. Did these people see Harry Potter & The Order of the Pheonix? We saw no character development there, you were just expected to know who they were. Cho was supposed to be Harry's girlfriend yet there was no build up, no emotion or anything in that and he seemed quite happy to ditch her.
The Spidey 3 dance number was "laughable" but when other films (like Clerks 2) break out into random song and dance it's ok.

I'm also upset I never sent them my script. It was killer.

Post #: 9
- 6/6/2008 9:31:06 AM   
britesparc

I think it's good news, because the series is terrific as a whole, the first two films rock, and the there still was something enjoyable in the third (Empire's review was spot-on). I'd like it to be less doom and angst and more of the fun Spidey stuff.

Post #: 10
- 6/6/2008 9:35:35 AM   
ilovekaren

spidey 3 was utter tripe dont do any more and pretend like it never happen the worst cg ever. as bad as the new hulk movie

Post #: 11
RE: Sam Raimi Talks Spider-Man 4 - 6/6/2008 9:35:55 AM   
lukeyboy

I actually thought Spidey 3 was pretty good. Sandman was a bit lame, but luckily Thomas Hayden Church's performance was a saving grace. The infamous dance bit was, I thought, typical Raimi and not out of place in a comic book movie of this type. 

Bring back all the original cast, especially the lovely Bryce Dallas Howard as Gwen Stacey, and have The Croc and/or The Vulture as the villain(s),....game on!

I feel like i'm Han Solo, your Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi - and we're in that FUCKED UP bar!!

Post #: 12
- 6/6/2008 9:36:49 AM   
ilovekaren

this would be good if they did it like a standalone movie the story lines of the other three are worn out.

Post #: 13
RE: Sam Raimi Talks Spider-Man 4 - 6/6/2008 9:51:32 AM   
themarquis

Ordinarily I'd be very excited indeed by this news, but Spiderman 3 ruined my desire to see any more of these films. Watching it was like having my face rubbed in feces for 2 hours, and I thought Raimi's contempt for Venom was all-too-visible onscreen. I understand he's no fan of the character but there's a great movie to be made of him and his handling of it seemed to me perfunctory at best, petulant at worst. I came out of it feeling very short-changed, and upon rewatching it, scenes that merely rankled me in the cinema - the dance, the chance meeting between major bad-guys in an alleyway - make me cringe now.

Raimi's first two entries into this franchise were great, but he seemed a little out of ideas in the third, and if there's to be a fourth, I'd love to see another director - ie Robert Rodriguez - tackle the material. Hopefully still with Maguire in the title role, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over a total cast reshuffle.

Post #: 14
RE: - 6/6/2008 9:52:05 AM   
Guchmeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovekaren

this would be good if they did it like a standalone movie the story lines of the other three are worn out.

I agree in a way. Just have Peter and MJ living together and make Spidey's relationship with the villian the centre of the piece. For that reason, The Lizard is perfect - he has an emotional pull being Peter's mentor and would make for some good moral dilemmas. Also (as I recall) he faced off with the Lizard in a swamp, which would be a new environment and would lend itself to Kraven the Hunter as a secondary villain. 

(in reply to ilovekaren)
Post #: 15
brin it on - 6/6/2008 9:59:17 AM   
everton

can't wait. Very good series of films, and the only problem with 3 was the rush job they did on Venom, and that was a studio problem.All the people who don't like the doom and gloom, obviously never read a Spiderman comic.; Peter parker's life was 90% misery. It's what made him "real".

As for Villains, poor dr. connors has been in 2 movies, and no lizard?! It has to be the Lizard!

Post #: 16
RE: Sam Raimi Talks Spider-Man 4 - 6/6/2008 10:05:04 AM   
boove

quote:

and hopefully we’ll be able to get everybody back and make another good one."

heh!  he thought the third was a bit poo as well then.

i would happily go see another spider man.  they could always 'ignore' the third film ever happened and continue the timeline from after spidey2.

is marvel incharge of it properly now?

Post #: 17
RE: RE: - 6/6/2008 10:07:27 AM   
boove

quote:

ORIGINAL: Guchmeister
Just have Peter and MJ living together and make Spidey's relationship with the villian the centre of the piece. For that reason, The Lizard is perfect - he has an emotional pull being Peter's mentor and would make for some good moral dilemmas. Also (as I recall) he faced off with the Lizard in a swamp, which would be a new environment and would lend itself to Kraven the Hunter as a secondary villain. 

totally agree with you here!  thats the way it should go story wise.

(in reply to Guchmeister)
Post #: 18
Shocker! - 6/6/2008 10:08:02 AM   
chaskins_2004

Prepare yourselves...ready? I liked Spider-man 3! GASP!

Post #: 19
- 6/6/2008 10:08:26 AM   
drake22

I hope the whole cast returns etc, i was a fan of spidey3 and thought the only problem was that venom was substandard and i guess the plot. But everything else is fantastic, the acting et al. spidey4, id love it

Post #: 20
RE: - 6/6/2008 10:25:21 AM   
themarquis

As long as they kill off Aunt May early, there's hope. She's an annoying old prude who's long since served her use. She's like a less-interesting Yoda with a bus pass and her own problem page in the Daily Mail; her insipid, heroism by-the-numbers guff is uniformly my least favourite thing about all three movies. What makes her so qualified to lecture superheroes anyway? Have her die a natural, non-supervillain-related death in the first five minutes -  being impaled by blue ice from an overhead jumbo jet toilet gets my vote - so Spiderman doesn't have to spend the next 2 hours avenging her, or, better still , have her die between the third and fourth movies to get Peter's inevitable sullen-faced mourning out of the way before we even get to the title credits. If they must have her in the film, have Rosemary Harris play her senile so we don't have to hear her say things like "I'm just nipping off to British Home Stores," with solemn, self-important pathos.

Rant over.

(in reply to drake22)
Post #: 21
RE: RE: - 6/6/2008 10:31:05 AM   
Beno

They gotta do another to make up for the last one .

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to themarquis)
Post #: 22
can't friken wait! - 6/6/2008 10:33:40 AM   
tango fett

this sounds so exciting! i love the trilogy, even the third one i still have a soft spot for (admittidly with its flaws). i love the idea of the original cast and director returning. i've always hated it when in batman or james bond they have different actors. i know sometimes it can't be helped but i love when a series has all the faces we recognise in it. Also the only reason the third one was weak was due to studio interference, raimi can still deliver us a good spidey-movie. Rumour has it lizard and carnage will be the villains. Bring it on i say.

Post #: 23
"They gotta do another to make up for the last one... - 6/6/2008 10:36:48 AM   
lisamoorish

Be a terrible shame for the Raimi/Maguire team to go out on the damp squib that was Spider-Man 3 (if you ask me, letting Raimi and his brother write the story was where that one started going wrong; Spidey 2 had the likes of Michael Chabon and Gough/Millar doing the scripting). They deserve it just for Spider-Man 2 - still a work of brilliance. Though one thing we really DON'T need: another scene of Aunt May banging on about "doing the right thing" and what it means "to be a hero". Clam up May, we get it!

Post #: 24
Avengers? - 6/6/2008 10:41:04 AM   
niallmcphillimy

Does anyone know if tobey could be introduced to ed and robert in the avengers movie? does spiderman do that in the comics ever, and what about wolverine, is he a possibility?

Post #: 25
- 6/6/2008 11:01:47 AM   
jemba

leave it. three was a jumbled mess. a messy mess.

Post #: 26
not all good news - 6/6/2008 11:10:25 AM   
DreadPirateRoberts

If this report is true the script titles are the same as two of the most hated spider-man storylines:
http://www.comicmix.com/news/2008/05/17/spider-man-4-and-5-to-be-filmed-together/
('brand new day' and 'the clone saga' for those to lazy to follow the link)

hopefully thats just the studio messing with our heads.

i'm glad Sam Raimi is looking for another chance. he did well apart from the last one. I agree with lisamoorish he's no writer. I think losing aunt may would be tricky ( the fans would go crazy) , they just need to do something more interesting with he than the lazy yodaisms.

Post #: 27
I'd be happy to see a 4th Spidey film - 6/6/2008 11:13:23 AM   
romerozombie

Spidey 3 had it's flaws, but also some of the best action sequences in history. The Hobgoblin/Spidey chase enar the beginning was pure adrenaline. But if they d make a 4th please make the villain the Lizard! WAY more violent and ruthless than Venom.

Post #: 28
retribution - 6/6/2008 11:38:20 AM   
themanwithnousername

spidey 2 is by far one of the best comic book adaptations to the big screen alongside x2 and batman begins. it would be great to see a return to form, just keep it simple! maybe introduce black cat or electro and downplay the new goblin side of things.

spider man is in the New Avengers with wplverine amongst others so possibly, but if the film is built from the classic line up of cap, iron man, ant man,thor, hulk im guessing he might not fit in yet..

Post #: 29
Rhino And The Lizard - 6/6/2008 12:30:34 PM   
stephen_se9

Title says it all really, for years The Rhino and The Lizard were my idea of Spidey-foes and I think should make an appearance in S-M 4; Rhino, because he's overdue) and The Lizard, well...haven't we waited enough already?

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Sam Raimi Talks Spider-Man 4 Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI