Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Sure Thing

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> The Sure Thing Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Sure Thing - 27/12/2005 3:32:27 PM   
Private Hudson

What a classic movie.

Yes, classic. It is damn near perfect and a film very close to my heart.

It is a teen remake of It Happened One Night (sort of) and what we have is the boy meets girl scenario but done in such a gentle and madcap way.

The film is so full of life and perfect little scenes that for me it has become part of my Xmas tradition.

Fave scenes:

the singalong with the "Handsome Guys" at the bar...
Tim Robbins' Gary Cooper's Showtunes...
"Hey, that's new!"
"I could eat your brains for PLEASURE!"
The little Gib who looks like a sponge speech
The verbose Truck Driver who steps on it for Gib

Thing is would we really fall for the delightful Daphine Zuniga's Alison or Nicolette Sheridan's Sure Thing Goddess?

I guess it still is at heart a coming of age story. The young Gib would go for the meaningless, guilt free sex, but our new Gib wants "A relationship?"

Even Anthony Edwards excels in his small role of Lance, and indeed in less than a year he'd be with Tim Robbins again in Top Gun alongside Tom Cruise and the brilliant Val Kilmer (see Top Secret or Real Genius if you don't believe me)

John Cusak's finest hour and perhaps even Rob Reiner's too (I know all about Spinal Tap and Misery).

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0
Post #: 1
RE: The Sure Thing - 2/8/2007 1:30:00 PM   
Timon

The Sure Thing is probably the greatest 'teen' film ever made. Forget the likes of American Pie and such with their gross out humour, The Sure Thing is comedy gold.

John Cusack is amazing as Walter 'Gib' Gibson, a guy we can relate to or have friends who are just like him - a man going through a dry streak. Luckily for him, his best mate Lance has set him up with a SURE THING but will he be able to get to LA in time to take advantage of it? It's like a hormone fuelled version of Homer's Odyssey as everything is thrown in Gib's way....including love.

Forget Spinal Tap, this is Reiner's best film as he perfectly captures the 19/20 young guy vibe. We want sex dammitt. Forget relationships, but then things happen that can change all of that......

And I have yet to mention the script. Heart warming and laugh out loud funny. Cusack has personally never been more lovable. His delivery of 'Driving with a load not probably tied down' is a classic movie moment and it's a film I can watch over and over again. Sure Nicolette Sheridan may have the body but 'repressed' Alison never fails to enchant....and equally annoy. If I was Gib, it would have been a tough call.

I can't recommend the film enough and if I've persuaded you to check it out, get the Special Edition R1 DVD not the barebones R2.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Private Hudson)
Post #: 2
RE: The Sure Thing - 15/8/2007 1:48:14 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

I watched The Sure Thing for the first time last night and I've got to say... I loved it  It's got John Cusack and humour and teen angst - already brilliant, but Reiner really knows how to get the best performances out of his actors.

My favourite moment has got to be when Alison's been accosted by the pick-up driver and Gib goes completely maniacally. Seriously funny!

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 3
RE: The Sure Thing - 15/8/2007 2:08:32 PM   
Timon

"I mean I could be some crazed slime ball. I mean a real deranged, violent psycho. You know what I mean? I mean a guy who would rip out your heart and eat it just for PLLLLLLLLLLEEEAAASSSSURRREE! A total MANIAC! You know what I mean?"

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 4
RE: The Sure Thing - 15/8/2007 2:19:08 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

"I don't think I want this ride after all. And I think I'll take your wife if you don't mind."

His bug-eyed expression freaked the driver right out

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 5
RE: The Sure Thing - 15/8/2007 2:27:16 PM   
Timon

I like to think I model myself on Pvt Walter 'Gib' Gibson.

"How would you like to have a sexual experience so intense, it could conceivably change your political views?"

Post #: 6
RE: The Sure Thing - 15/8/2007 2:32:38 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

Barring the fact that every woman turned him down despite such a sound pick-up line? Go for it.

Although, you may get more success with this:

You know, I've never met anyone like you before. Usually when I meet someone new I feel awkward and shy. But with you it's different. I can talk to you. You know what I'm thinking without my having to explain to you in fancy terms. We speak each other's unspoken language... fluently. I love you.

Just donít quote me on that

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 7
RE: The Sure Thing - 15/8/2007 2:37:54 PM   
Timon

Did you know Nietzsche died of syphilis?

Post #: 8
RE: The Sure Thing - 15/8/2007 2:46:12 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

Too obscure. Did you know Shakespeare died of syphillis?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 9
RE: The Sure Thing - 15/8/2007 2:49:26 PM   
Timon

Nah, they'll know you're lying.

Post #: 10
RE: The Sure Thing - 16/8/2007 8:46:05 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

I hope you appreciate the magnitude of your impending good fortune.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 11
RE: The Sure Thing - 16/8/2007 1:31:32 PM   
Timon

She's in her experimental phase!

Post #: 12
RE: The Sure Thing - 16/8/2007 1:58:55 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

He said you're a virgin!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 13
RE: The Sure Thing - 16/8/2007 4:52:58 PM   
Timon

He also said you might be GAY!

Post #: 14
RE: The Sure Thing - 16/8/2007 5:01:09 PM   
Neth

You know the bit in The Sure Thing where Gib teaches Alison how to shotgun a beer? In my slightly skewed world view, that's possibly one of the most romantic scenes ever committed to celluloid.

It also features one of the best character introductions ever, courtesy of Tim Robbins - "Hi, I'm Gary Cooper! But not the Gary Cooper that's dead." Comic genius.

"You taste like a burger. I don't like you anymore."

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 15
RE: The Sure Thing - 16/8/2007 5:25:19 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neth

You know the bit in The Sure Thing where Gib teaches Alison how to shotgun a beer? In my slightly skewed world view, that's possibly one of the most romantic scenes ever committed to celluloid.

I concur. Especially when he comes back hammered and asks if her boyfriend can juggle before slamming a beer can against his head and passing out. Wordsworth was missing a trick.

(in reply to Neth)
Post #: 16
RE: The Sure Thing - 21/8/2007 4:10:59 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neth

You know the bit in The Sure Thing where Gib teaches Alison how to shotgun a beer?

I'm fairly determined to try this out at some point.

(in reply to Neth)
Post #: 17
RE: The Sure Thing - 23/8/2007 6:12:20 PM   
Neth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jessica_ca_ca_ca

I'm fairly determined to try this out at some point.

Here's a tip, and it's a freebie:

Use a small, Coke-sized can of beer if you can. Doing it with a large lager can? Messy.

"You taste like a burger. I don't like you anymore."

Post #: 18
RE: The Sure Thing - 30/9/2007 9:22:16 PM   
Timon

Yeah, it would be. Don't try it with a bottle either. Even messier.

(in reply to Neth)
Post #: 19
RE: The Sure Thing - 2/10/2007 9:45:08 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

It's been over a month and I still haven't tried this. Must be getting old.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 20
RE: The Sure Thing - 7/3/2008 9:43:45 AM   
Timon

She's in her experimental phase!

Post #: 21
RE: The Sure Thing - 7/3/2008 1:45:42 PM   
Harley Quinn

I loved this film when I was in my early teens. Haven't watched in ages might have to invest in it on DVD on Saturday.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 22
RE: The Sure Thing - 9/1/2009 1:11:43 PM   
Timon

So.... who would like to have a sexual experience SO INTENSE, it could conceivably change your political views?

Nobody?

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 23
RE: The Sure Thing - 12/1/2009 10:49:07 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

Sure thing.

I hope you appreciate the magnitude of your impending good fortune.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 24
RE: The Sure Thing - 26/3/2009 10:31:21 AM   
Timon

"Sorry I'm late. There was this big problem... and I'm late because of it."

I love Gib.

Post #: 25
RE: The Sure Thing - 27/3/2009 11:02:28 AM   
Harry Exton

One of my favourite films of all time. I put this on for some mates at university who had never seen it. I passed out during the film, and when i came round they had started watching it a second time as they enjoyed it so much. Anyone who watches this and doesn't enjoy it is a cold-hearted bastard.

30 seconds in to your future......

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 26
RE: The Sure Thing - 30/3/2009 3:25:03 PM   
Timon

Every friend I've shown it to loves it... but before they'd never heard of it. This must change.

(in reply to Harry Exton)
Post #: 27
RE: The Sure Thing - 31/3/2009 12:05:55 PM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Every friend I've shown it to loves it... but before they'd never heard of it. This must change.

So true everyone must see this film.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 28
RE: The Sure Thing - 1/4/2009 4:10:23 PM   
Timon

You know, junk food doesn't deserve the bad rap that it gets. Take these pork rinds for example. This particular brand contains two percent of the R.D.A. - that's Recommended Daily Allowance - of riboflavin.

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 29
RE: The Sure Thing - 24/10/2012 9:33:55 AM   
Timon

I watched this again last night. Still the best 'teen'/rom-com film ever.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> The Sure Thing Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI