Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Cricket

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Cricket Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Cricket - 11/10/2008 11:22:35 AM   
The Lensman

That sir. would be awesome!

I hope that in the future, I could follow a whole test series abroad somewhere, anywhere will do. Australia, Caribbean, India just some of the places to explore. Being Indian myself, I'd say that India would be the easiest, as I have family over there and have a good understanding of where to go.

But Australia is my number one destination. Just gotta see if my firm will allow me to get out there for a couple of months.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 151
RE: Cricket - 11/10/2008 11:44:54 AM   
dh_19

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

I'd love to do an overseas tours but they are an awful lot of money, me and a friend were thinking of doing in South Africa in 2010 but with uni debts and whatnot it doesn't really look doable.

Mind you I do have a cousin who has a flat in Sydney so the Ashes in 2011 is a distinct possibility.

I want to go to South Africa too. I think that tour is a must. I went to the Wellington Test in New Zealand back in March which was cool. It was about 25 for a five day match pass which was absurd money!

If you've got the chance of free accommodation then you have to go to the Sydney Test. Great city. A little more debt won't hurt you...

"I took a risk" - Larry David

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 152
RE: Cricket - 11/10/2008 11:48:54 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: dh_19

quote:

I'd love to do an overseas tours but they are an awful lot of money, me and a friend were thinking of doing in South Africa in 2010 but with uni debts and whatnot it doesn't really look doable.

Mind you I do have a cousin who has a flat in Sydney so the Ashes in 2011 is a distinct possibility.

I want to go to South Africa too. I think that tour is a must. I went to the Wellington Test in New Zealand back in March which was cool. It was about 25 for a five day match pass which was absurd money!

If you've got the chance of free accommodation then you have to go to the Sydney Test. Great city. A little more debt won't hurt you...

That's just what I was thinking. If I'm already in the debt, why not go a little further. It could after all very well be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I've got Ashes tickets at Edgbaston for next summer and have subscribed for my Somerset membership which unfortunately no longer includes free Twenty20 entry which shows how much that form of the sport has risen.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to dh_19)
Post #: 153
RE: Cricket - 19/10/2008 4:38:27 PM   
Goodfella

The Stanford Super Series gets started soon. Does anyone know whether it is being shown on TV? I think Allen Stanford has sold the rights in America for some ridiculous fee to sports channel ESPN.

The Wisden Cricketer is well worth picking up this month. It has a free winter fixtures wallchart and looks back at Durham's maiden county championship victory and also once again puts the doom and gloom on test cricket although it's great to see it's not faded in this country but rather amplified. We now have bigger test crowds than Australia, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and even India!

I'll be watching the SSS if I can (Middlesex v England should be an interesting encounter, I'm not sure if they've resolved the Owais Shah issue yet) although my mind in the next few weeks will be on the India tour although it is disappointing, and ironic considering the forementioned issue, that we are playing two tests () and seven one-dayers.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 154
RE: Cricket - 25/10/2008 11:25:43 PM   
Goodfella

England v Middlesex  tommorow. Sorry, still can't get over this one....

Commentary on 5live extra if anyone wants to join me in being only the second person in the entire country to NOT be watching Chelsea v Liverpool and instead savouring some money-mad cricketing where our country is playing one of it's many county sides.

Lots of ribbing I imagine, Shah and Strauss must be bricking it.

Tired of this Stanford bollocks already. Roll on India...

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 155
RE: Cricket - 26/10/2008 9:39:45 AM   
dh_19

quote:

Commentary on 5live extra if anyone wants to join me in being only the second person in the entire country to NOT be watching Chelsea v Liverpool and instead savouring some money-mad cricketing where our country is playing one of it's many county sides.

Why not watch both? England v Middlesex doesn't start until 9pm.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 156
RE: Cricket - 26/10/2008 9:50:50 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

quote:

Why not watch both? England v Middlesex doesn't start until 9pm.

Bugger, why did I think it started at 4pm? Bloody Antigua....

(in reply to dh_19)
Post #: 157
RE: Cricket - 27/10/2008 12:43:41 AM   
Goodfella

Just got back from watching the cricket. It was difficult to find a pub that wasn't showing the Real Madrid game but eventually I landed on the place across the road from me and despite the mature female pisshead slobbering all over me and the Michael Jackson lookalike I stayed put until the very end!

England sneaked it in the end. We didn't bat with much authority - Bell and Prior continued to claim their stake for an opening partnership though with Prior the aggressor and Bell the more conservative hitter. We were dropped far too many times and I think Middlesex payed the price for that in the end (Straussy's being the pick of the lot, didn't he look like he loved it!) Shah came out and took it to his employers but generally, as is expected in 20/20, no-one formed a partnership and we crept past the 100 mark and I thought Middlesex finished on a high that would take them into their batting innings and carry them on to victory.

But to be honest our class showed in the field (we took the catches they missed) and Broad and Anderson bowled very consistently. Generally it seemed like a practice match for the England side but I find the best way to view the Stanford series is a rare opportunity for the national side to keep it's winning mentality and form together in the break between the SA and India tours and this is a good start.

Poor turnout by the looks of it. Allen Stanford took a stroll around and seemed to want to hug every spectator, it definitely seems the guy loves his cricket but he should never have made that test comment, that was his downfall.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 158
RE: Cricket - 28/10/2008 10:49:03 AM   
The Lensman

Middlesex! ARGH! so frustrating! i was screaming at the screen demanding the players play 20/20 cricket not 4 day cricket.

You see - 20/20 cricket is caution to the wind style - so proper straight bat shots arent the need all. Only until Dexter came in did the score look somewhat challenging. why is it that Henderson is the most successful 20/20 player at the moment. but he throws his bat at everything (though that shot last night was woeful and belonged in sunday league cricket)

The pitch is terrible! The groundsman has done a top job in preparing a pitch that will benefit the home sides more than the English. Monty must be cursing himself! The lights are just as bad! The amount of dropped catches is amazing too. T&T were very lucky last night.

Hopefully, no wait. I demand that England stuff them tonight.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 159
RE: Cricket - 28/10/2008 11:15:03 AM   
Goodfella

KP has already stated the light as a negative factor. There were a lot of dropped catches on Sunday night, although a white ball in bright flourescent light probably doesn't help and cricket really isn't a game that should be played tonight.

With regards to this Stanford tournament, I wonder what the Don would have thought of something like this? Would he have been behind it? Would he have felt it was a disgrace to the true ethics behind the sport of cricket? Would he have cracked one straight at Allen? I bet he would have. Cricketers are pansies today compared to the likes of Don. I'd like to see Freddie slug one of McGrath without a helmet on!

(in reply to The Lensman)
Post #: 160
RE: Cricket - 28/10/2008 11:31:59 AM   
impqueen

Hello I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of where I could possibly purchase Tickets  (If there are any available) for the Ashes in Cardiff next year.
Thanks.

Yes, always.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 161
RE: Cricket - 28/10/2008 11:34:36 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

Hello I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of where I could possibly purchase Tickets  (If there are any available) for the Ashes in Cardiff next year.
Thanks.

Your best bet is to buy tickets direct from Glamorgan County Cricket Club (Sophia Gardens is their home where the Ashes first series is being held). http://www.glamorgancricket.com/ - Tickets go on sale on the 3 November and I don't think you need to be a member to purchase but if you do go to www.ecb.co.uk and try and get the tickets there.

Or join the Barmy Army as they will have a ticket allocation for all of the Ashes series.

Good luck.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 162
RE: Cricket - 28/10/2008 11:35:28 AM   
The Lensman

I think looking at the ECB website would be a start to see availability. Um failing that - Try the Glamorgan County Cricket Club website..... and if that doesnt help.... EBAY.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 163
RE: Cricket - 29/10/2008 4:38:47 PM   
Goodfella

Did anybody watch the T&T game last night, I was at football so I didn't catch the score until I got home.

Moores changed the side around a little bit by the looks of it but I'm sure he'll go for the usual suspects come the "big one" on Saturday.

Regardless of whether you view this as a proper ICC event, England have now won their last seven outings.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 29/10/2008 4:39:15 PM >

(in reply to The Lensman)
Post #: 164
RE: Cricket - 31/10/2008 11:21:26 AM   
Goodfella

The press coverage of this tournament seems to be focusing more on Stanford's rather pervy antics with the England WAGs that anything else. Mind you if I was Matty Prior, I'd have dropped the cheeky bastard!

It'll be over this time Sunday and we'll see whether or not KP and co. can go out there and buy a new Bentley, Jag or whatever.

Oh small bit of news - Monty has decided not to go to Sri Lanka to play over the next month due to their wage demands on the ECB and instead he will join up with the performance programme squad for India straight away.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 165
RE: Cricket - 1/11/2008 10:33:12 PM   
Goodfella

Blimey. With the way England are batting you'd think it was a solitary pound on offer, rather than one million quid!

56-6 and only two players have made double figures, this could turn into a very embarassing 20/20 defeat, especially for the players and their personal gains. Moores and KP have made some interesting changes with the two spinners coming in as expected but pace bowler Jimmy Anderson dropped.

Could be a submissive end to the Stanford series for the England side.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 166
RE: Cricket - 1/11/2008 11:04:26 PM   
Goodfella

99 all out.

I think there's going to be some very happy Stanford Superstars in a few hours.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 167
RE: Cricket - 1/11/2008 11:16:42 PM   
dh_19

Oh dear. Well our players will merely have to settle for a free weeks holiday where they've been ill and have had their loved ones fondled by a pervy old yank...

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 168
RE: Cricket - 1/11/2008 11:22:00 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

Oh dear. Well our players will merely have to settle for a free weeks holiday where they've been ill and have had their loved ones fondled by a pervy old yank...

Would it be far-fetched and un-realistically to possibly say that they've lost interest in this tournament after all the media circus around it and the behaviour of Stanford?

(in reply to dh_19)
Post #: 169
RE: Cricket - 2/11/2008 8:03:17 AM   
dh_19

quote:

quote:

Would it be far-fetched and un-realistically to possibly say that they've lost interest in this tournament after all the media circus around it and the behaviour of Stanford?

I think that's a fair assessment. It's potentially very lucrative for the ECB but even they were reviewing our involvement this past week. The players have obviously not enjoyed the week and it'll be interesting what happens next year. I'm sure all the England players would rather have a window to play in the IPL than take part in this again. 

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 170
RE: Cricket - 2/11/2008 11:46:30 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think that's a fair assessment. It's potentially very lucrative for the ECB but even they were reviewing our involvement this past week. The players have obviously not enjoyed the week and it'll be interesting what happens next year. I'm sure all the England players would rather have a window to play in the IPL than take part in this again. 

It was confirmed recently that the players can apply to join the IPL so I imagine that will be the plausible route.

Cor, not even one wicket last night, Chris Gayle made mincemeat of the England bowling attack. Anyway, thank fuck this frenzy is over and we can get back to the proper stuff. Hopefully Stanford will develop a love for ice hockey or some other sport while the tests are on and we won't have to follow this crap next year.

I would like to know what the fuck KP is going on about in his post-match interview as far as the "depths of uncertaintity." Looks like he's had a few to me, let's hope they don't let Freddie out there if he has...

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 2/11/2008 11:49:51 AM >

(in reply to dh_19)
Post #: 171
RE: Cricket - 2/11/2008 1:10:20 PM   
dh_19

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It was confirmed recently that the players can apply to join the IPL so I imagine that will be the plausible route.

Cor, not even one wicket last night, Chris Gayle made mincemeat of the England bowling attack. Anyway, thank fuck this frenzy is over and we can get back to the proper stuff. Hopefully Stanford will develop a love for ice hockey or some other sport while the tests are on and we won't have to follow this crap next year.

I would like to know what the fuck KP is going on about in his post-match interview as far as the "depths of uncertaintity." Looks like he's had a few to me, let's hope they don't let Freddie out there if he has...

That's only if the IPL want them. The ECB has only given our players a 14 day window which at present isn't a substantial amount of time to tempt franchise owners into aqcquiring their services. However, with Sri Lanka dropping out of a tour and West Indies unable to provide a full strength team, it's looking unlikely that our players will have any commitments during that time so may be able to play afterall. A lot has to be sorted out before we know for sure.

Only thing that is certain is that the England players would much rather play in the IPL than play another shitty Stanford series.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 172
RE: Cricket - 2/11/2008 2:42:59 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's only if the IPL want them. The ECB has only given our players a 14 day window which at present isn't a substantial amount of time to tempt franchise owners into aqcquiring their services. However, with Sri Lanka dropping out of a tour and West Indies unable to provide a full strength team, it's looking unlikely that our players will have any commitments during that time so may be able to play afterall. A lot has to be sorted out before we know for sure.

Only thing that is certain is that the England players would much rather play in the IPL than play another shitty Stanford series.

I wish they'd get on and decide about Sri Lanka's tour as I want to book tickets for the Bristol ODI but am not willing to do and book hotel accommodation if it's not a definite event.

I also don't fully agree with the IPL - it's intentions are as money-based as the Stanford series.

(in reply to dh_19)
Post #: 173
RE: Cricket - 5/11/2008 9:34:36 PM   
Goodfella

Just been listening to an interview with Graeme Swann and I'll be very disappointing if the team let the Stanford defeat effect them going into the India tour. It was always a glamour event and to be honest it didn't look from the start of it that England were taking it that seriously so I fully expect the team to enjoy a few day's rest, get out there, get fired up and carry on the good, competitive run.

My ODI side: Bell, Prior, Shah, Flintoff, Pietersen, Collingwood, Patel, Swann, Broad, Anderson, Harmison

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 174
RE: Cricket - 9/11/2008 5:05:07 PM   
Goodfella

England started their tour of India last night easing to victory over Mumbai. Mumbai won the toss and put England into bat and we delivered strongly, Bell cracked 58 and Shah made a number three-convincing 83. But it was Freddie and his let's-see-how-many-windows-I-can-break stance that really stole the show, an un-precendented 100 of 85 balls. I think he might be back....

Mumbai finished their batting innings on 175-8 with Jimmy Anderson responding to his drop from the Stanford squad with a dignfied and very impressive 3-15. Patel also managed to argue his way into the one-day side on Friday with 2-38 and despite having smacked a century of their bowlers, Freddie still found the energy to pick up a wicket. What a god!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 175
RE: Cricket - 12/11/2008 1:56:31 PM   
Goodfella

England collapsed against the President's XI the other day, 98 all out. Crikey! KP's having a bit of a shocker as well....

First ODI on Friday in Rajkot. England have a few injuiry problems as there are doubts over both Sidebottom and Broad. Play commences at 3.30am. I'll be listening even if no-one else is....

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 176
RE: Cricket - 14/11/2008 11:54:23 AM   
Goodfella

Well we were given a right seeing too weren't we?

KP has pointed the finger at the batting but when you concede 387 runs prior to that off just 50 overs the target becomes fairly unassliabe anyway, the nerves of defeat kick in and you hit the panic button so it didn't surprise me in the slightest the way the batmsen went although credit must be handed to Bopara and Broad for giving some wild and very slim hope there towards the end rather than just rolling over in typical Englad fashion.

The pacemen were very poor - Anderson 0-52, Broad 0-74 which offers Sidey the chance to push for fitness for the next encounter and give us a little more cutting edge as well as a novel left arm out there. India are supposed to be the best side in the world to face spinners but Patel put that little theory to argue with two wickets last night/this morning.

Well I'm knackered as well, stayed up all bleeding night!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 177
RE: Cricket - 14/11/2008 11:59:30 AM   
Fluke Skywalker

I think one problem is we have two teams with completely differing levels of confidence here - England are coming off the back of a humiliating defeat in the Stanford match and India have just trashed the Aussies. There's a world of difference between the way the two squads must be feeling

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 178
RE: Cricket - 14/11/2008 12:04:57 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

I think one problem is we have two teams with completely differing levels of confidence here - England are coming off the back of a humiliating defeat in the Stanford match and India have just trashed the Aussies. There's a world of difference between the way the two squads must be feeling

Yeah well the Stanford match doesn't need to be put to the back of the mind, it needs to be completely removed from it. It bared no competitive standing and frankly they seemed dis-interested in the final game so that's why Grame Swann is the current owner of a brand new pink Ferrari.

Suck it up boys and bounce back because if we take this kind of mentality into next summer the Ozzies will piss all over us.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 179
RE: Cricket - 14/11/2008 12:14:46 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

The Stanford match was fucked up - I think the England team handled it like a bunch of snotty wankers. It was a bit of fun, they acted like they weren't interested and almost above the whole thing and subsequently got shafted

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Cricket Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI