Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Cricket

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Cricket Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Cricket - 7/8/2008 9:40:28 PM   
Goodfella

Brilliant bowling today by England, a lot of confidence bowlers out there for sure. Both Anderson and Broad struggled early on but then came into their game and took some vital wickets.

quote:

Broad = not an international bowler. pretty nifty with the bat, but he's brought in as a bowler is isnt producing, and hasnt done so so far for england.

Broad is 22, fresh into the international game and currently tops the this test's batting averages against South Africa so don't knock him. He needs to start more fluently and pitch the ball up more but given time and a strong run in the side he will get there soon I reckon and we will have a great all-rounder on our hands. Also prior to Headingley he performed very well for England with the ball, especially in one-day.

quote:

So how do you feel by the Harminson Recall, from the looks of him in the first hour this morning, he looking rather good,
I just hope they get  S jones back in the side before the Ash's next year. as he was the best bowler in the Ash'es 2005 seris.

He struggled a bit early on but those two straight wickets were world-class and then he was a nightmare for the SA batsmen. He's so vicious and has so much power behind him, if he keeps that up then Sidebottom and Broad will have to work extra hard to keep their places. Jimmy Anderson bowled out his skin again today. I think the guy is a pure adrenaline, he never wavers and he obviously loves the game. He's a sure-fire Ashes starter in my mind.

Word on KP's captaincy. Great start and lots of vocality and and praise from the new skipper plus a bit of proof of his thinking ability when he brought Panesar in. Hopefully we can win this test and get him off to a great start.

Looking forward to tommorow at Taunton. It's nicely poised, we were creamed yesterday for just 106 but took Notts for 230 and we currently sit 114-0 with Langer and Tressy looking very comfortable, should be a very enjoyable day of cricket. Let the drink flow!

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 7/8/2008 9:41:28 PM >

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 91
RE: Cricket - 7/8/2008 11:21:31 PM   
The Lensman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

quote:

Broad = not an international bowler. pretty nifty with the bat, but he's brought in as a bowler is isnt producing, and hasnt done so so far for england.

Broad is 22, fresh into the international game and currently tops the this test's batting averages against South Africa so don't knock him. He needs to start more fluently and pitch the ball up more but given time and a strong run in the side he will get there soon I reckon and we will have a great all-rounder on our hands. Also prior to Headingley he performed very well for England with the ball, especially in one-day.

bloody good thing that he averages 80 with the bat agaist the Springboks, because an average of NINETY-SIX with the ball, is shocking, and to use what you did there with Broad at the top. Pietersen is averaging better than Broad.

I do not doubt his ability as a cricketer, i just dont think he's as good as what people make him out to be and i do not believe he is an international cricketer as yet (Yuvraj Singh taught him that, but it seems he has stagnated in his bowling), and to pose the question, what happens when/if the runs from his batting dry up? does he justify his place on merit of his bowling. highly doubtful.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 92
RE: Cricket - 8/8/2008 11:31:43 PM   
boaby

hmmm.

Anderson, Harmison, Flintoff were very good. Monty was jammy. Broad was the worst of the lot.

Dinna think all of the 'boks minds are on it at the mo. Pretty poor batting.

Didn't see much of today. Hopefully the 'boks can make a game of it. Looks like KP's gonna get a winning start. Shame. I just dinna like the boy. Great player, jist dinna like him. My irrational hate cricketer I 'spose.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to The Lensman)
Post #: 93
RE: Cricket - 11/8/2008 11:45:56 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Lensman

quote:

quote:

bloody good thing that he averages 80 with the bat agaist the Springboks, because an average of NINETY-SIX with the ball, is shocking, and to use what you did there with Broad at the top. Pietersen is averaging better than Broad.

I do not doubt his ability as a cricketer, i just dont think he's as good as what people make him out to be and i do not believe he is an international cricketer as yet (Yuvraj Singh taught him that, but it seems he has stagnated in his bowling), and to pose the question, what happens when/if the runs from his batting dry up? does he justify his place on merit of his bowling. highly doubtful.

He showed yesterday what he can do when he's bowling at his peak and given some more time at both county and international level he will improve with time so don't turn on him now because as a very young England player he's not up there with the likes of the very experienced Flintoff and Harmison. At ODI level he's certainly one of our best bowlers.

Plus we really do need an all-rounder at the moment who's consistent with the bat because Flintoff and Collingwood (although the latter has had two good innings at The Oval) aren't quite up to scratch at the moment. Broad looks very competent with the bat and seems to be able to master all three forms of the game with it.

quote:

hmmm.

Anderson, Harmison, Flintoff were very good. Monty was jammy. Broad was the worst of the lot.

Dinna think all of the 'boks minds are on it at the mo. Pretty poor batting.

Didn't see much of today. Hopefully the 'boks can make a game of it. Looks like KP's gonna get a winning start. Shame. I just dinna like the boy. Great player, jist dinna like him. My irrational hate cricketer I 'spose.

We need 197 today to win which if the weather holds out we should get out without question.

KP has made the perfect start to his captaincy and I was outraged when people started turning on him for the shot that he played which resulted in him getting out on Friday. A 100 on his captaincy debut coupled with the way he has clearly inspired the team (Harmison, Broad and Panesar's bowling over the last few days for one) cannot be criticised and if this is the road we're going to go down now then we may as well not bother with any of it.

Also very tired of hearing about "how it should have been Strauss...." Gone for 6 again the other day, three first-class centuries in the last four years, no real leadership qualitites. Wonder whether some of those people actually bother watching any cricket.

Somerset did well on Friday to avoid a defeat. Trescothick and Langer held the innings together early on although the Notts bowlers quickly proved why they are top of the CC. Darren Pattinson also showed why the England selectors gave him a chance and Graeme Swann took four wickets ahead of his return to the ODI side.

Got sunburnt again  and got to watch Chris Read play drinks courier in front of us after he injuired his thumb the night before.

I'm going on Thursday to the third day of the CC match against Surrey if it lasts that long that is and if this shitty weather down here fucks off.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 11/8/2008 11:47:57 AM >

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

Post #: 94
RE: Cricket - 12/8/2008 1:29:59 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

Broad took figures of 3-44. Harmison and Anderson both took two wickets but conceded runs in the eighties. Broad may have bowled slightly less overs but I'd say that's a very good test average especially against a side like South Africa.

County cricket has been severely affected by the weather today, play was only at Taunton but they've just been stopped there as well and that was the last match still playing this morning. I imagine most will take an early lunch.

Surprised to see Lancashire release Dominic Cork from his contract. Could be an interesting signing for someone else though.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 95
RE: Cricket - 13/8/2008 9:46:30 AM   
The Lensman

i dont wanna burst the bubble..... but Broad took 5 wickets at the oval - 4 against tail enders (is that really good enough?) he took the wicket of McKenzie as his only recognised batsman.

again, i do not doubt his ability - but people shouldnt be blind to the fact that he hasnt taken many wickets this summer, but on the other hand - i dont think that Harris and Nel (certainly this guy) is international standard, and I would rather have a player of the ability and potential of Broad.

Nel - now come on, all he has to his game is a flippin look against the batsman to say "listen mate, im not quick, i dont do much with the ball, but im gonna look at you with a mean look cause they call me Gunter which is a mean looking name, so hopefully the lack of pace will distract you enough to give your wicket away, cheers"

Harris - cannot spin!

< Message edited by The Lensman -- 13/8/2008 9:47:38 AM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 96
RE: Cricket - 13/8/2008 12:16:59 PM   
Goodfella

Broad's time for the big wickets will come. At the moment he bowls third of fourth down the order and is taken in and out of the play to suit the swing and the new ball - also we seem to have a complex of getting tail-enders out and Broad does that job quite consistently so I'm happy to see him carry on. Also at ODI level he's an opening bowler and he does take big wickets - refer back to the New Zealand series and like I said given more time, he's only been around the sides a year, he will mature and develop and we can expect big things come his mid-20s.

There has been the case argued that South Africa didn't need a spinner on this tour and that they should have kept with an all-out pace attack which frightens England especially when you have players like Strauss and Vaughan flapping wildly at wide balls and you have four men in the slips.

Nel is a character of the game but I do agree there will be a case to see him dropped. They missed out when Charles Langdavelt retired as well - he's eating them up in county cricket at the mo. Another apartheid disaster that was.

I'm looking forward to the ODI series although the laughable and downright insulting exclusions of Kabir Ali, Dawad Malan and Graham Napier should come back to haunt England it does give KP another chance to prove his captaincy worth and also see if he can level up well in both jobs. Be nice to see Freddie back in one-day bowling and batting as well.

Post #: 97
RE: Cricket - 13/8/2008 5:03:23 PM   
The Lensman

Goodfella, do you play cricket?

i miss it, i broke my finger diving for a catch about a month ago, and i think i wont be back until the september games.

things were going so well, scored a bag load of runs this season, miles ahead of anyone else in my team! and i was close to 20wickets

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 98
RE: Cricket - 14/8/2008 12:58:30 PM   
dh_19

quote:

They missed out when Charles Langdavelt retired as well - he's eating them up in county cricket at the mo. Another apartheid disaster that was.

I'm looking forward to the ODI series although the laughable and downright insulting exclusions of Kabir Ali, Dawad Malan and Graham Napier should come back to haunt England it does give KP another chance to prove his captaincy worth and also see if he can level up well in both jobs. Be nice to see Freddie back in one-day bowling and batting as well.

I agree Langeveldt's having a good season for Derbyshire. However, I don't think there are many players treated worse by SA than Jacques Rudolph. Oh how they must wish he was black! Imagine their batting line up with de Villiers at 7 keeping wicket (which he eventually will once Boucher has retired) and averaging 40+ and Rudolph at 6.

Kabir Ali is very unlucky to have been overlooked for so long but Napier and Malan would be no where near my ODI squad. Napier's bowling is decent but he's had one great innings in 20/20 and one decent knock in FP. He's been pushed back down the order by Essex numerous times when the ball is moving because he's not a very good batsmen and we have better bowlers.

Malan looks a real talent shown by his impressive 20/20 season but at present, he averages 29 in first class cricket and 14 or 15 in list A. There are plenty of others vying for a spot ahead of him. A season or two more of county cricket wouldn't hurt him.

"I took a risk" - Larry David

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 99
RE: Cricket - 14/8/2008 6:41:36 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

Goodfella, do you play cricket?

i miss it, i broke my finger diving for a catch about a month ago, and i think i wont be back until the september games.

things were going so well, scored a bag load of runs this season, miles ahead of anyone else in my team! and i was close to 20wickets

Not this season but I am going to play for the local side come next summer when I return from uni. My work committments meant I could play this summer but next year I should have more choice.

I used to play when I was younger and lived in London. Our team was coached by Alan Knott's brother but we weren't up too much. I still have my Gray Nicholls bat and pads though!

quote:

I agree Langeveldt's having a good season for Derbyshire. However, I don't think there are many players treated worse by SA than Jacques Rudolph. Oh how they must wish he was black! Imagine their batting line up with de Villiers at 7 keeping wicket (which he eventually will once Boucher has retired) and averaging 40+ and Rudolph at 6.

Kabir Ali is very unlucky to have been overlooked for so long but Napier and Malan would be no where near my ODI squad. Napier's bowling is decent but he's had one great innings in 20/20 and one decent knock in FP. He's been pushed back down the order by Essex numerous times when the ball is moving because he's not a very good batsmen and we have better bowlers.

Malan looks a real talent shown by his impressive 20/20 season but at present, he averages 29 in first class cricket and 14 or 15 in list A. There are plenty of others vying for a spot ahead of him. A season or two more of county cricket wouldn't hurt him.

South Africa's selections have been nothing short of a disaster which is why I laugh when they mock KP when playing against him. It's not like anyone's surprised he switched nations is it?

I like Napier. He's batted very well in Pro40 recently and he's a confident batsmen who likes the big hits although it could be argued he'd be a bit wild for England. Matt Prior's inclusion in the one-day side suggests he'll open the batting with Ian Bell and that will push Luke Wright further down the order to allow him to concentrate on his bowling which is a good call and he's in the side for that quality.

The Stanford 20/20 side was also announced today with all the likely suspects included (Chanderpaul, Gayle, Powell etc.) and a few shock in-experienced names. Also the Champions League has been moved from September to December as not to encroach on the ICC.

My Ashes tickets also came through the other day!

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 14/8/2008 6:46:48 PM >

(in reply to dh_19)
Post #: 100
RE: Cricket - 16/8/2008 10:50:26 PM   
Goodfella

Essex beat Kent today in the FP trophy final. Didn't watch the game as I was at work but I've just read about it on text and Kent's batsmen were far from up to scratch which might have had something to do with Rob Key and Joe Denly playing for the Lions against South Africa just the other day.

Denly is a certain future England opener in my eyes - would love to see him alongside Alastair Cook opening the batting, think they would make a good pair.

My Wisden Cricketer has just come through. Ironic interview with Michael Vaughan in it I must say.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 101
RE: Cricket - 19/8/2008 9:44:29 PM   
Goodfella

Nice to see Tim Bresnan back in the England fold yesterday even his contribution made no difference in the end. The Twenty20 should be interesting tommorow - England have vastly improved in the form at an international level and with the developing love in the nation for the hottest property in cricket at the moment its certainly something we want to prosper at although we must remember test cricket and the Ashes must come first.

I've just been reading The Wisden Cricketer and Alan Knott's interview. Brought back a lot of memories for me as he played for the same club (Belvedere CC) as I did as a kid and his brother Frank (who he refers too) coached me and was the inspiration for my love for the sport many other kids see as "plain boring." I owe him a lot in that sense.

Off to watch Somerset again in a few weeks (I think our next home match is against Durham which could be a huge game in the title chase and possibly a big show as I think they will have Collingwood and Harmison back by that point from England duty). I've got my Ashes tickets for Edgbaston (got some quality seats as well as friends are members of Warawickshire CC) and I'm trying to sort out a Gulliver's sports tour of the WI's next year although it's going to cost an absolute ticket. At the moment the ODI series is looking the best as its signficantly cheaper. I'm also determined to go to Oz in 2011 as my cousin has a flat I can stay in out there.

Sod Charlton, I've spent too much watching what is technically shit on a football pitch in the last few years anyway.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 102
RE: Cricket - 22/8/2008 12:02:18 PM   
Skiba

So Harmison has brought himself out of 'retirement' and made himself available for ODI's...I think this will improve his game and will strengthen our one day side but the cynic in me says that he's doing it to be in contention for the lucrative T20's.  No chance if he's just playing tests...but I guess you can't blame him

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 103
RE: Cricket - 23/8/2008 11:18:15 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

So Harmison has brought himself out of 'retirement' and made himself available for ODI's...I think this will improve his game and will strengthen our one day side but the cynic in me says that he's doing it to be in contention for the lucrative T20's.  No chance if he's just playing tests...but I guess you can't blame him

Of course he is but I can't blame the chap. As Kevin Pietersen said - "Obviously the Stanford match is immoraly wrong and not good at all for the sport but don't think I won't be playing for half a million pounds..."

Fantastic result yesterday and one we had to work really hard for. It was great to see some fine batting from the England side - Matt Prior rode his luck on a number of occasions (Philander's dropped catch is easily the worst I think I have ever seen in cricket at any level) but he batted confidently and chased the runs. KP and Flintoff played some awesome shots and they seemed very comfortble considering they were still facing the likes of Steyn, Nel and Ntini - David Lloyd was talking BS when he said South Africa were a "weakened side."

The start of our bowling was rather appaling. We pitched it far too short and it was disturbingly slow (Harmy the most guilty for that error) but we picked up and it all changed when that top England bowler, Kevin Pietersen, got in on the action. Rather funny coming from a player who says they're's only one bowler in the team worse than him, Alastair Cook.

Here's to hoping it carries on. Nice to see Sammit Patel bowling well as well although I feel sorry for Graeme Swann being left out. He's a decent all-rounder and has been working hard in county cricket recently, sure he won't get the runs Patel will get but I for one think the lad looks sharp and should have an England future under Peter Moores.

County cricket's been interesting again this week - rain has pretty much ensured more draws, Somerset took maximum batting points against Hampshire in their second match that lost virtually two days to the weather. Did anyone see Dan Redfern's half-century for Derbyshire in Pro40 the other night? The kid is only 18 and he spanked some brilliant shots - if you get a chance to see it watch out for the sweep behind the wicket. It looked like something Gilchrist would pull off. Of course, just like Malan and Napier, they're now all talking him up for England. One game for christ's sake, give the lad a chance to mature and develop. Look what it's done for Adel Rashid at Yorkshire.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 104
RE: Cricket - 23/8/2008 12:28:06 PM   
JamesMcManus1

I'm not so much of a Graeme Swann fan really, he sums up the type of player that has dogged the one-day team for years, picking players that aren't specialists in either discipline and wouldn't get into the team on merit with either the bat or ball alone but somehow get in because they are half-decent at both.

That's how Luke Wright in my opinion undeservedly gets in the team and it's how i got into my county team when i was younger so i think i'm a fairly neutral view on this.
I know he can score slowly sometimes but i don't see why Rob Key is continually ignored on both sides of the game, and i think it's time for his international wilderness to end.

My team would be.

Key, Prior(only for one-day team though),Pietersen,Shah,Bell,Bopara,Flintoff,Broad,Anderson,Harmison and Panesar

< Message edited by JamesMcManus1 -- 23/8/2008 12:29:28 PM >

www.off-the-ball.co.uk

Visit me!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 105
RE: Cricket - 23/8/2008 6:41:43 PM   
ray_likethefish

So KP's Golden Beginning continues! Great victory yesterday, it was really nice to see Freddie and Kevin put a stand together. It's so rare that England's two best players have put on big stands, so to see them start steady and end up lashing the ball about with glee was great fun!

You don't have to be able to shit miracles to work in projection... but it helps

(in reply to JamesMcManus1)
Post #: 106
RE: Cricket - 23/8/2008 10:56:46 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

I'm not so much of a Graeme Swann fan really, he sums up the type of player that has dogged the one-day team for years, picking players that aren't specialists in either discipline and wouldn't get into the team on merit with either the bat or ball alone but somehow get in because they are half-decent at both.

That's how Luke Wright in my opinion undeservedly gets in the team and it's how i got into my county team when i was younger so i think i'm a fairly neutral view on this.
I know he can score slowly sometimes but i don't see why Rob Key is continually ignored on both sides of the game, and i think it's time for his international wilderness to end.

My team would be.

Key, Prior(only for one-day team though),Pietersen,Shah,Bell,Bopara,Flintoff,Broad,Anderson,Harmison and Panesar

Panesar's batting will ensure he won't play one-day cricket. He may be a tail-ender but at ODI level all players need to have even the rudimentary basic batting skills, Panesar is an absolute walking wicket. I'd leave him in the test side only.

Rob Key looks like one of those players who is going to be routinally ignored by the England selectors (Vikram Solanki anyone?), he's 27 already (comparison - KP is 28 and already captain) and I think soon enough he'll just retire from any chance of international duty and focus on getting as many trophies in Kent's cabinet as possible and I couldn't blame the guy. We should be taking a serious look at Joe Denly as well - he may be young (only a year Cook's junior though) but he is a great hitter and holds well in the innings at both forms of the game.

Anyway my side would be:

Bell, Prior, Shah, Pietersen, Collingwood, Flintoff, Patel, Swann, Broad, Harmison, Anderson

Never rated Wright (okay with the ball against tail-enders but is batting is very hit and miss) and I can see Sidebottom being dropped from the one-day side and I personally don't think Otis Gibson suggesting he's leading England's bowling attack is a good thing. Jimmy Anderson and Steve Harmison are the men for that at the moment. Bopara hasn't done enough for me yet although his all-rounder status is imporant but I do wonder whether he'll be dropped when Colly returns from suspension.

For the future: Napier, Malan, Ali (although he should by all rights be in there now), Key (but ditto the Ali comment), Denly, Rashid, Trego. I won't say that young lad Redfern as it's ridiculously early but if he carries on in the same vain there won't be any question.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 23/8/2008 10:59:44 PM >

(in reply to ray_likethefish)
Post #: 107
RE: Cricket - 24/8/2008 11:59:12 AM   
dh_19

quote:

We should be taking a serious look at Joe Denly as well - he may be young (only a year Cook's junior though) but he is a great hitter and holds well in the innings at both forms of the game.

Agreed. I'm pleased he got a century the other day because he hasn't had a great Championship season but he scores quickly whilst playing proper cricket shots (much like Marsh who has just emerged for Australia).  Like you say, he will also open in both forms of the game which will be a relief when looking at our makeshift openers in ODIs. It'll be great to see him partnering Cook in Test cricket as they are very different players and it'd provide a right hand/left hand combination.

"I took a risk" - Larry David

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 108
RE: Cricket - 24/8/2008 11:57:29 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: dh_19

quote:

We should be taking a serious look at Joe Denly as well - he may be young (only a year Cook's junior though) but he is a great hitter and holds well in the innings at both forms of the game.

Agreed. I'm pleased he got a century the other day because he hasn't had a great Championship season but he scores quickly whilst playing proper cricket shots (much like Marsh who has just emerged for Australia).  Like you say, he will also open in both forms of the game which will be a relief when looking at our makeshift openers in ODIs. It'll be great to see him partnering Cook in Test cricket as they are very different players and it'd provide a right hand/left hand combination.

It's time to give Strauss the boot in my mind and the India winter tour is the perfect time in my view, it will give him something to think about before the summer season kicks off again if he wants to be in the Ashes side. If Prior has a good ODI stint it wouldn't surprise me to see him take Ambrose's place and make the test side but as far as constant openers go, I would be happy to see either Key or Denly in KP's team.

So what does everybody think about this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/7579500.stm

Thank god we didn't go as planned, I was looking at plane bookings just a few months ago. I can't really blame the sides or the ICC (although it does feel like everyone's followed Australia once again) but I do have some sympathy for Pakistan, they made some fair points about the problems in other countries when teams have travelled and some have also made the jab that we wouldn't have hesitated if it had been the Stanford game being played there.

It also means no international cricket in a few weeks time until November

(in reply to dh_19)
Post #: 109
RE: Cricket - 26/8/2008 2:50:00 AM   
Goodfella

2nd ODI tommorow. I'm not watching, at work, might catch the first hour at the pub though.

Would be superb to see KP claim a third straight victory though. I have Friday off work and am seriously tempted to go to The Oval but the only tickets left are in the 80 pound price range.

Booked my tour for South Africa 2010 the other day, switched from the Windies tour as it's too early into my uni degree but I have mates I can stay with in SA so it should be quality.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 110
RE: Cricket - 26/8/2008 2:37:58 PM   
Goodfella

Play is underway at Trent Bridge and South Africa have opted to bat, un-surprisingly. Not happy with these day-night limited overs game, there's a massive advantage to the side who don't have to bat under floodlight. Just watch some of the Pro40 to see what I mean.

What's this about Stuart Broad not being up to international scratch?  Inch-perfect start. Grame Smith must really hate Cheerio by now..

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 26/8/2008 2:59:36 PM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 111
RE: Cricket - 26/8/2008 3:07:31 PM   
Goodfella

This is just getting better!

Only one KP!

Looks like there's only one Broad too! 3 of them for SA though!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 112
RE: Cricket - 26/8/2008 3:21:00 PM   
impqueen

I completely missed the first one day international, luckily it's going very well right now, though because I'm paying attention England will probably start screwing around.

Oh and I would like to say that Sky Sports suck, I can't afford the stupid channel and as such for the next FIVE YEARS I'm stuck with highlights on Five and maybe when the Ashes come back around late night BBC2.

< Message edited by impqueen -- 26/8/2008 3:22:55 PM >

Yes, always.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 113
RE: Cricket - 26/8/2008 4:04:30 PM   
impqueen

Okay Broad is being exceptional…5!

< Message edited by impqueen -- 26/8/2008 4:08:10 PM >

Yes, always.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 114
RE: Cricket - 26/8/2008 4:08:16 PM   
ray_likethefish

Oh my God! Who is this team and what have they done to my beloved England?!!!

You don't have to be able to shit miracles to work in projection... but it helps

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 115
RE: Cricket - 26/8/2008 4:27:07 PM   
impqueen

Well I really hope England do not screw up now, South Africa all out for 83, yes 83!

Yes, always.

Post #: 116
RE: Cricket - 26/8/2008 10:49:23 PM   
ray_likethefish

2nd in the world? pah! :-p

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 117
RE: Cricket - 26/8/2008 11:02:48 PM   
Goodfella

Well that was sheer fucking quality. I really didn't even expect it when South Africa were 64-6, I just thought that someone like Mark Boucher and Dale Steyn were going to pop up with some ridiculous 100-run partnership and our words would have been spoken far too soon.

Broad bowled out of his skin, Harmison is looking perhaps even better than his previous self and seems to have forgotten what a wide looks like (thank god for that!), Flintoff is returning to icon status with superb ease and KP is obviously looking to oust Atherton and Stewart for bragging rights. But the man of the moment today was without question Matty Prior. Sir Matty Prior. What. A. Fucking. Catch. As for his batting, well, goodbye Tim Ambrose and you better watch your place and all Strauss, if he can bat like that Test I want him to open!

It's still a honeymoon period under a new captain and I think the India tour will be a tough experience but if we continue to show this kind of all-round effort and we continue to see these exceptional solo performances then I have high hopes for the future.

quote:

2nd in the world? pah! :-p

Sorry  South Africa are actually third best ODI side in the world. It currently goes 1) Australia 2) New Zealand 3) South Africa. They are second best though when it comes to test cricket. We should move up a few spots if we do well in this series though, a whitewash would be awesome cause we would leap above Sri Lanka then who have lost at least one game in their ODI series with India.

quote:

Oh and I would like to say that Sky Sports suck, I can't afford the stupid channel and as such for the next FIVE YEARS I'm stuck with highlights on Five and maybe when the Ashes come back around late night BBC2.

Same here, same here, although I do quite enjoy C5's highlights. The Beeb do a good internet service for the cricket, there's some great interviews during the break. Anyway I wouldn't worry too much about SS's cricket. I haven't got the time for listening to Michael Holding's lectures, Shaun Pollock's blatent bias, David Lloyd's piss-taking and Ian Botham's attempt to bring every single topic of conversation back around to something that involved him.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 26/8/2008 11:07:13 PM >

Post #: 118
RE: Cricket - 26/8/2008 11:08:32 PM   
JamesMcManus1

Well that was bloody good wasn't it...hopefully this means the end of Tim Ambrose now.

Broad will draw all the plaudits in the papers tomorrow and righly so, but i thought Harmy was exceptional again today and he looks in fine nick, a form bowler if ever i have seen one.

www.off-the-ball.co.uk

Visit me!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 119
RE: Cricket - 26/8/2008 11:14:21 PM   
Goodfella

If Prior can do the job in test cricket then yep, I'm afraid to say that Ambrose will yet again be another who falls foul of the England wickey curse. Lonely test nights out on the piss with Geriant Jones and Paul Nixon await!

Also it turns out his six catches (yes, that's six Tim) have equalled Alec Stewart's ODI record. What are we waiting for Mr Collier?

Sidebottom is going to struggle to get back into the side methinks now that we have Broad, Harmison, Anderson (although he may want to improve his current ODI form) and Flintoff all bowling at a lick Sidey's also looking injuiry prone again (back and groin this time) and I think if Kabir Ali keeps taking county wickets he at some point has to get a shot.

Shame to see Swann left out again though, I hope this isn't an early end to his international career.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 26/8/2008 11:33:12 PM >

(in reply to JamesMcManus1)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Cricket Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI